ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

$2 million for Hawkins.

$2 million for Osabor.

How do the top names who got a mere $1 million or even less feel about that?

I bet their agents will be in demand.
Keep in mind that there is still NIL money to be made from endorsements over the next year. That is what NIL was supposed to be. Allowing players to make money from endorsements and selling merch. Not simply cutting a $2 million chech in exchange for a commitment.

The actual faces of college ball, guys like RJ Davis, should be getting endorsements over the year.

And now we know why he is not on the Tar Heel team.
I still laugh at the people saying our NIL is "competitive."

But I don't blame these guys for taking the biggest payday they will likely ever have in their life. If some school wants to pay $2 mill for a guy who likely won't even make a single All American team, more power to them.

Well, Hawkins is a 4 that thinks he is a 3 and needs to be the featured guy on what ever team he plays for next season. We have all we need at the 4, I would suggest we have more for the 4 spot than we actually need and if there is another spot we are even deeper at it would be the 3. Hawkins was not the guy I wanted at any point of the portal season, others may disagree, but I have never seen the fit with us and still don't, MUCH rather have Lubin.
I guess which explains why he chose k state

...I don't blame these guys for taking the biggest payday they will likely ever have in their life. If some school wants to pay $2 mill for a guy who likely won't even make a single All American team, more power to them.
I agree with those sentiments mostly. It feels that a lot of these deals are impulse/demand-driven, but echo that it is smart on that of the athletes.

On the other hand, it could be argued that a transfer-portal add-on is what made the difference of Bama going to the elite 8 and UNC not. It is somewhat understandable that the possible impact like that can be enticing and increase market value.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I’m willing to bet a substantial sum that we’re a better overall team than Kansas State next year & that they have chemistry issues that limit their upside.

Last edited:
  • Love
Anyone else feel the current trend of outrageous ‘signing bonuses’ is not sustainable? Just trying to wonder how often schools will be able to approach high net worth boosters if results don’t come…

For example, KState has splashed out $5m plus (just spitballing) so what happens if they fall short of expectation? Will boosters be willing to fork out for another reload?

Anyone else feel the current trend of outrageous ‘signing bonuses’ is not sustainable? Just trying to wonder how often schools will be able to approach high net worth boosters if results don’t come…

For example, KState has splashed out $5m plus (just spitballing) so what happens if they fall short of expectation? Will boosters be willing to fork out for another reload?
It's a good question.

Personally I can't see why they'd be willing to pony up that much even once. So clearly I don't understand the way they look at it. Then again, maybe the fact that I don't understand how they think is also the reason why I don't have millions to throw at players for UNC. Hmm.

I’m willing to bet a substantial sum that we’re a better overall team than Kansas State next year & that they have chemistry issues that limit their upside.
I guess that's the test for their new coach. Chemistry, that is, not beating us. If I'm a K St fan, I want to beat last season's 19-5 record and 1st round NIT exit.

We had excellent chemistry last season. Or so it seemed. I attribute that in large measure to the positive attitudes of our transfers. Especially Ingram and Ryan. Ingram, in particular, came across as a super teammate; while Cormac had a healthy take-no-prisoners attitude. Even seldom-used Okonkwo seemed upbeat. I also think Caleb's departure removed some negative energy.

Meanwhile RJ and Armando were a hard-working, solid, dependable foundation.

With Ingram, Ryan and Armando gone, a couple of transfers expected to start, and a couple of hotshot freshmen, I'm hoping Hubert can manage another good-chemistry team.

Good for the team; good for fans.

It isn't sustainable, that is why pro sports has salary caps and contacts that insure you have a guy for a specified term. Fans will do crazy stuff, especially those that pray for a winning program. All a booster is, a fan with a bank account but how many Nattys did Ky booster but for Calipari, how many Nattys did boosters buy for K and duke? Those 2 programs basically bought all the best talents from the day the 1 & D deal was put in by the NBA, what did they get for that?

You can buy talent but that does not mean you can buy titles. You must have blue collar guys that are not the star players to do the dirty work that wins games, tiles, and awards. To many chiefs and no injuns does not work (25% Black Foot indian so don't give me that diversity BS). When you stroke a mega check for a college players to play for your program next season you create those Chiefs, problems is the signs you end up with are more smoke that real.

If those KState fans don't realize that paying in the ball park of $4 mil for 2 guys like Hawkins and Oyense is not going to cause their returning players to question why they got so much more than the returning guys got, especially if those 2 do not play like bona fid stars, man I got some vacation land in the ever-glades to talk to ya about! LOL Can you imagine the fall out if they don't make a solid NCAAT run? LOL

And the biggest SUCKERS of all, that Arkansas fan base, wonder if it will take them as long to figure out what they have with Calipari as it took those Ky fans? LOL

Better yet,
Keep in mind that there is still NIL money to be made from endorsements over the next year. That is what NIL was supposed to be. Allowing players to make money from endorsements and selling merch. Not simply cutting a $2 million chech in exchange for a commitment.

The actual faces of college ball, guys like RJ Davis, should be getting endorsements over the year.
How do the guys who are making close to nothing play side by side with the 2 million club members?

Better yet,

How do the guys who are making close to nothing play side by side with the 2 million club members?
It is one thing if it is a returning guy, a guy you played with last season had good chemistry but to pay like that for an outsider to come in that really has not been significantly better than the guys already there, yeah, that can and many times is a real nasty problem.

Better yet,

How do NBA players on league minimum contracts, 2-way contracts, or G-League contracts play next to someone who has signed a $200 million contract?

And I can't speak for other schools, but at UNC even the guys at the end of the bench are getting something from NIL.

How do NBA players on league minimum contracts, 2-way contracts, or G-League contracts play next to someone who has signed a $200 million contract?

And I can't speak for other schools, but at UNC even the guys at the end of the bench are getting something from NIL.
No one expects loyalty at the pro level. Do they?

How much do the end benchers get?

No one expects loyalty at the pro level. Do they?

How much do the end benchers get?
It depends on how many years they have. Rookie league minimum is 1.1 million. Year 2, 1.8 million etc., year 4 2.4 million minimum. Those will go up again with the new media deal and league booming success.

The loyalty part I don't fully get. They are expected to be loyal while there, playing/working, but if you get a offer to double your salary from Coke, would you call it a lack of loyalty if you don't decline the opportunity and stay at Pepsi? I imagine the multi billion dollar college sports buisness (football/basketball) will function the same.

I would love to get loyalty from players and i do think UNC tends to inspire it more than most, but these days I'll settle for.peeps who are willing to work hard and try to.wn! BUT I fully expect.loyalty from fans! Fans disappoint me far more.than players!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT