ADVERTISEMENT

2025 recruiting....

Move ahead to the 30-second mark on the video when the coach talks about getting paid. 5M+ NIL deals coming?

Move ahead to the 30-second mark on the video when the coach talks about getting paid. 5M+ NIL deals coming?

What have they won…I saw a few weeks ago on PMS they had the kid from the Pacers on…The last World Cup or something in basketball the USA lost 3 games…

USA basketball has lost the fundamentals…

What have they won…I saw a few weeks ago on PMS they had the kid from the Pacers on…The last World Cup or something in basketball the USA lost 3 games…

USA basketball has lost the fundamentals…
Code verbiage that means that there will be a lot of NIL money out there for them. They may get it anyway, but winning the tournament gives them some them talking points.

HD offered 2025 combo guard Isiah Denis from Davidson, NC today. He made a massive jump in the class rankings.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
If this is going to be Coach Davis approach moving forward why even bother recruiting the 5 star kids…Because most are going to have bidding wars for their services…

He might have to rethink this approach as well as UNC…
If u pay example 2 top5 recruits say 2 million each & they are projected top 5 nba picks I'd say you can easily recoup your $$$ and buy more & before you know it your whole starting 5 are projected top 15 picks $$$$$ follow the $$$$$

If u pay example 2 top5 recruits say 2 million each & they are projected top 5 nba picks I'd say you can easily recoup your $$$ and buy more & before you know it your whole starting 5 are projected top 15 picks $$$$$ follow the $$$$$
I think the thing is UNC is not willing to pay that or get in bidding wars…The thing is these kids are trying to get as much as possible…Where do you draw the line if you are UNC and Coach Davis…

Jasper Johnson announcing next week, FYI. Moreno is working him hard to commit to Ky and Bama is really strong for him.

Problem is we won’t likely win a championship in doing so. Idk how but seems like getting 4 and 3 stars to stay for multiple years will do the trick. But who knows. Cal and K didn’t win with them rotating in and out each year. This sucks and I don’t blame them for not bidding for players. Yet. lol

if Hubert is going to target 5* kids and concurrently not participate in bidding wars then he might want to rethink his strategy a bit. In this new landscape there will be bidding wars for nearly every 5* recruit. I think Carolina will have to either recruit slightly less heralded kids or find their way in this new NIL market.

Anyone know when the last time UNC didn't have a 5-star or McDonald's All American on the roster was?

Problem is we won’t likely win a championship in doing so. Idk how but seems like getting 4 and 3 stars to stay for multiple years will do the trick. But who knows. Cal and K didn’t win with them rotating in and out each year. This sucks and I don’t blame them for not bidding for players. Yet. lol
I agree with you ..

Reactions: alabamaheel
I haven’t been keeping track of other recruiting strategies, but I’d like to know how many bidding wars UConn is getting into.

The culture is now completely changed. For the 5 star kids it is all about their brand. NIL has made the name on the back more important. Coach Smith would not even recognize today's college basketball environment.

TV contracts and football $ have altered the landscape. The "Carolina family" is losing more and more appeal every year. The players coming out of high school see college ball as a necessary evil, and just a one-year stop to the league.

The culture is now completely changed. For the 5 star kids it is all about their brand. NIL has made the name on the back more important. Coach Smith would not even recognize today's college basketball environment.

TV contracts and football $ have altered the landscape. The "Carolina family" is losing more and more appeal every year. The players coming out of high school see college ball as a necessary evil, and just a one-year stop to the league.
We only have like 7 players under contract in the NBA. A big part of the Carolina Family for the past 50 years was our large presence in the NBA. Come play at UNC and the Carolina family will look after you when you turn pro.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Travis Branham says we have made up ground on Alabama in Jaspers recruitment
LMAO

Dude will say anything to try and keep UNC fans clicking on links and paying for premium. But Branham doesn't have near the connections Evan Daniels had. This is likely just garbage to try and keep UNC fans clicking on 247sports pages through next week when Jasper commits to Bama or UK... because every click generates more ad revenue for Branham's site.

LMAO

Dude will say anything to try and keep UNC fans clicking on links and paying for premium. But Branham doesn't have near the connections Evan Daniels had. This is likely just garbage to try and keep UNC fans clicking on 247sports pages through next week when Jasper commits to Bama or UK... because every click generates more ad revenue for Branham's site.
The pope has endless amounts of $$$$ flowing into Kentucky

Travis Branham says we have made up ground on Alabama in Jaspers recruitment

LMAO

It’s not just him saying it…Have even seen where it’s UK and UNC and Bama is fading…

They also said that artificial sweeteners were safe, WMDs were in Iraq, and Anna Nicole married for love…..LMAO!!!!!

Heard Mullins really liked his UCONN visit, he did not commit on it though. His Indiana Elite buddy Moreno is still pushing hard for him to join him at Kentucky though. Haven't heard much on the UNC front, hoping that doesn't mean we are far off on the back burner.

He canceled Purdue, Alabama, and Kansas visits, so we are still in line to get one of his remaining 6 visits. I would not count out IU, he is visiting with his other Indy Elite teammate Sissley in September, and IU boosters are going hard opening thier coffers.

Last edited:
Heard Mullins really liked his UCONN visit, he did not commit on it though. His Indiana Elite buddy Moreno is still pushing hard for him to join him at Kentucky though. Haven't heard much on the UNC front, hoping that doesn't mean we are far off on the back burner.

He canceled Purdue, Alabama, and Kansas visits, so we are still in line to get one of his remaining 6 visits. I would not count out IU, he is visiting with his other Indy Elite teammate Sissley in September, and IU boosters are going hard opening thier offers.
If we want, we'll have to pay for him.

A lot of time and resources were wasted towards that recruitment. Kentucky kids very rarely turn down uk when uk prioritizes them, and especially now with NIL and how that would be magnified for in-state kids.

Considering it's highly likely we're going to miss on every 2025 recruit we offered before this past June.... Jasper Johnson isn't the only recruit for whom a lot of time and resources were wasted.

UK boosters weren't letting him get away. They upped their offer in the last couple days.

This is how it is now, pay to play. For all those years when it was illegal and UK and Duke and Kansas did all those under the table stuff to get the big recruit's and all we heard was UNC plays by the rules and wont do that type of stuff. Well its legal now, so what's the danm excuse now on missing players? UNC better get with the times or learn how to fade into mediocracy before we become the next UCLA

Reactions: RoseHeel
UNC should remain true to its standards! The NIL opportunities are significant at UNC and we have continued to gather talented players who actually fit into a Family atmosphere. I'm fine with missing on a few mercenaries and getting some supposedly "lesser" talents who are willing to put team first and develop into their potential. I'm perfectly willing to mine the portal if the youngsters from HS choose elsewhere! New paradigm includes more ways to improve a team and is not as reliant on HS studs! I'm perfectly happy with a cycle of dominance followed by rebuilding on a 2-3 year cycle! I believe we will stray relevant and continue to stay at the top of the ACC for the foreseeable future!

Reactions: Ozheelfan
UNC should remain true to its standards! The NIL opportunities are significant at UNC and we have continued to gather talented players who actually fit into a Family atmosphere. I'm fine with missing on a few mercenaries and getting some supposedly "lesser" talents who are willing to put team first and develop into their potential. I'm perfectly willing to mine the portal if the youngsters from HS choose elsewhere! New paradigm includes more ways to improve a team and is not as reliant on HS studs! I'm perfectly happy with a cycle of dominance followed by rebuilding on a 2-3 year cycle! I believe we will stray relevant and continue to stay at the top of the ACC for the foreseeable future!
The only thing I would debate with ya is that UNC will continue to stay atop of the ACC, I do not believe that will happen...

• Sad
Reactions: Oak ridger
This is how it is now, pay to play. For all those years when it was illegal and UK and Duke and Kansas did all those under the table stuff to get the big recruit's and all we heard was UNC plays by the rules and wont do that type of stuff. Well its legal now, so what's the danm excuse now on missing players? UNC better get with the times or learn how to fade into mediocracy before we become the next UCLA
Imo if your post info is true, then they have a leg up on sources just because they’ve been doing it. Idk though but sounds good lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT