ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Miami game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and I thought this game would NEVER end.

First obvious queston was about getting back to effort and intensity after the last dud, and we took it to Coral Gables. We need it down there for sure:

- can't say enough about Mando's defense --- both inside and on the perimeter --- and toughness on the glass. #15 bullied everyone else but our big fella, and that block to seal it was BIG TIME. He also worked his ass off on offense and got rewarded enough to make key shots.

- got out early with some catch-and-shoot makes by Ingram and Ryan converting iin a first half that gave us no whistle help on drives

- We once again missed Seth, if nothing else for depth. Poor RJ was gassed in the second half (which caused that bad TO when he was trying to pull the ball out in transition). One of the reasons was our little guy really stepped up to bust ass to do a better job checking Pack (after he single-handedly kept them in the game in the first half.

- BTW, good Timeout by Hubert when we were losing a step down the stretch. EC and RJ had played every minute and got us a working lead but pesky Miami was making inroads and our shooters started missing easy looks --- fatigue was definitely a factor.

- On that note, extremely important minutes from Pax after Cormac made some silly fouls. Pax busted ass and ran down contested boards and played solid D.

- from the X-and-O end, we got caught in the habit of too much arc action late in the first half. I was begging to attack at angles and more inside-out, and the staff did just that in the second half. Also, Jimmy's bumper-pool offense was hurting us (at least they called two of many illegal screens), and I loved the second half adjustment of shooting 32 at them on reversals (which stalled their weave action) --- and of course the killer was that beautiful execution of 42 when RJ chased to the high double with Mando and Eliot played Interceptor just like Dean used to teach it for the run-out :)

- I didn't like taking our foot off the gas a bit too soon, and things certainly got sketchier than they should have, and what a weird ending.

- Speaking of that, I'm sure I'm not the only one here shouting "NO!" when RJ gave up the ball after Mando's last block, especially on a day when he was back to his usual FT proficiency... o_O ... and I'm also pretty sure I wasn't the only one saying "Thank you, Jesus!" when EC knocked down that first 3. He can get that shot any time he wants it and if he starts knocking done open ones the way he's capable, duck...

- Finally, with Mando doing the dirty work inside and on a day when you didn't know what to expect vis-a-vis whistles, our little guys took this big road game home. Despite being banged around on drives with about half the FT attempts he could've had, RJ hit big 3s at key times, and (dumb passive-aggressive troll posts from earlier on here notwithstanding) Eliot carved their physical defense with a knife, created looks for his teammates (the road guy actually counted his 8 dimes right), and finished at the rim --- and ahem, no, he doesn't "always go to his right" :rolleyes: --- and defended intelligently but aggressively with 4 steals.

Anyway, kudos to the staff for abandoning the too-early sub pattern in the second half. Keeping EC and RJ together enabled us to storm back and take control after halftime and get the working lead we needed to hold off a tough veteran team and crafty coach. Jimmy is no fool, and attacked us on the perimeter successfully whenever they weren't out there together. Also, kudos to the staff for encouraging Eliot to take the open looks. Much-needed road win at a key time!...
:cool:

- On that note, extremely important minutes from Pax after Cormac made some silly fouls. Pax busted ass and ran down contested boards and played solid D.

and I loved the second half adjustment of shooting 32 at them on reversals (which stalled their weave action) --- and of course the killer was that beautiful execution of 42 when RJ chased to the high double with Mando and Eliot played Interceptor just like Dean used to teach it for the run-out :)

.. and I'm also pretty sure I wasn't the only one saying "Thank you, Jesus!" when EC knocked down that first 3. He can get that shot any time he wants it and if he starts knocking done open ones the way he's capable, duck...
1, For a kid playing his 6th year of college basketball some Cormac's decisions are just pitiful. And he's the last person we need in-bounding the ball late games that are close. His nerves are pretty much shot. My Goodness 😟
2. Great adjustment by the staff. One of the best they made this season.
3. It's coming, and if it stays we are back in the title hunt

Yes, we desperately need Seth back, not only for all the great things he does on the court, but to keep RJ and EC fresher down the stretch.

So GREAT to see Elliot hit those 3s today. If he can start knocking a few down regularly, look out. Season high 19 points!

It wasn't pretty but two years ago we a mud hole stomped in us down there, so let's take that W, get Seth back and move on to Syracuse.

First obvious queston was about getting back to effort and intensity after the last dud, and we took it to Coral Gables. We need it down there for sure:

- can't say enough about Mando's defense --- both inside and on the perimeter --- and toughness on the glass. #15 bullied everyone else but our big fella, and that block to seal it was BIG TIME. He also worked his ass off on offense and got rewarded enough to make key shots.

- got out early with some catch-and-shoot makes by Ingram and Ryan converting iin a first half that gave us no whistle help on drives

- We once again missed Seth, if nothing else for depth. Poor RJ was gassed in the second half (which caused that bad TO when he was trying to pull the ball out in transition). One of the reasons was our little guy really stepped up to bust ass to do a better job checking Pack (after he single-handedly kept them in the game in the first half.

- BTW, good Timeout by Hubert when we were losing a step down the stretch. EC and RJ had played every minute and got us a working lead but pesky Miami was making inroads and our shooters started missing easy looks --- fatigue was definitely a factor.

- from the X-and-O end, we got caught in the habit of too much arc action late in the first half. I was begging to attack at angles and more inside-out, and the staff did just that in the second half. Also, Jimmy's bumper-pool offense was hurting us (at least they called two of many illegal screens), and I loved the second half adjustment of shooting 32 at them on reversals (which stalled their weave action) --- and of course the killer was that beautiful execution of 42 when RJ chased to the high double with Mando and Eliot played Interceptor just like Dean used to teach it for the run-out :)

- I didn't like taking our foot off the gas a bit too soon, and things certainly got sketchier than they should have, and what a weird ending.

- Speaking of that, I'm sure I'm not the only one here shouting "NO!" when RJ gave up the ball after Mando's last block, especially on a day when he was back to his usual FT proficiency... o_O ... and I'm also pretty sure I wasn't the only one saying "Thank you, Jesus!" when EC knocked down that first 3. He can get that shot any time he wants it and if he starts knocking done open ones the way he's capable, duck...

- Finally, with Mando doing the dirty work inside and on a day when you didn't know what to expect vis-a-vis whistles, our little guys took this big road game home. Despite being banged around on drives with about half the FT attempts he could've had, RJ hit big 3s at key times, and (dumb passive-aggressive troll posts from earlier on here notwithstanding) Eliot carved their physical defense with a knife, created looks for his teammates (the road guy actually counted his 8 dimes right), and finished at the rim --- and ahem, no, he doesn't "always go to his right" :rolleyes: --- and defended intelligently but aggressively with 4 steals.

Anyway, kudos to the staff for abandoning the too-early sub pattern in the second half. Keeping EC and RJ together enabled us to storm back and take control after halftime and get the working lead we needed to hold off a tough veteran team and crafty coach. Jimmy is no fool, and attacked us on the perimeter successfully whenever they weren't out there together. Also, kudos to the staff for encouraging Eliot to take the open looks. Much-needed road win at a key time!...
I thought the timeout was definitely a great read by Coach Davis of his team, and I said in the gamethread that I thought we definitely needed that. Bacot looks so much more refocused the last 3 games, and I hope he goes on a similar run to end this season, that he had in 2022.
I don't think EC will cure his shooting woes this season, but it is important that opposing teams will now see some film of him making recent shots from the perimeter.

Road win. Came out the blocks with some gusto, and it really helped bigtime, because when we went to the bench in the 1st half, well that cushion evaporated. RJ did an awful lot of heavy lifting in that 1st half.

Mando emerged from the shadows in the 2nd half and was strong. The defense did as well. We went basically exclusively with the starting 5 throughout the 2nd half with the exception on Ryan sitting with the early 4th foul. Woj gave his energy in his stead which was very important.

Cadeau dropping a few 3balls, and penetrated to score well. Got a little loose with the rock late, but I loved how he stepped up. He and Ingram free throws late is a bit concerning as well.

As others have mentioned it will be nice to get Seth back, as he is our only consistent bench contributor. The others have moments, and can help on a given night, but far too many dud nights in comparison to elicit much confidence. Washington looked a full step behind everything and High is too spastic at this point.

Got the dub, but stumbled across the finish line. Still road conference dubs are sweet !!!

Who cares I thought you were going to stop posting this BS…You know nothing Auburn Tiger…Roll Tide…..

• Sad
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
In our last 2 games we have played extremely poorly in the last 4 minutes of each game. Turnovers, poor execution, missed free throws and questionable shot selections. I know that we miss Seth a lot but having veteran players play this poor is a problem. You could tell how tired EC was just by his breakaway steal as he intelligently conserved his energy by just laying it up and not punching it. Cormac’s stat line was not good. No rebounds, 3 TO’s, 1 assist and one of two from the line. I have said this all year long that Ingram’s free throws are a concerning issue. When RJ got the rebound at the end of the game and he threw it to Ingram to help free himself up and Ingram didn’t throw it right back to RJ that should have been just a basic play. Ingram has to have the self and game awareness to make that simple play. I went back and rewatched it and RJ was visibly frustrated by it. Btw what in the world was with that pass Ingram tried to rocket to Bacot late in the second half? lol, man that was bad. The last 2 fouls that were called on Bacot were two of the worst I’ve seen all year long and that is saying something. Great to get the win but it never ever should have gotten this close.

I wonder about the late game closing lineup when UNC has a small lead late and it becomes a FT/ball handling game.

If you’re in the double bonus, so you go with 4 guards and Bacot to have your best ball handlers and eliminate Ingram from shooting FTs? You can’t do this if it’s just 1and1. Do you sub Ingram for Withers? It’s something I’m interested in. There must be a better option than Ingram.

Game itself, thought RJ and Ryan had around-and-out misses on wide open 3s pretty late that would’ve made the win more comfortable. Ingram missed a wide open corner 3 too. All of those came on good action.

Miami shot like 2/12 from 3 in the 2nd half? I thought they missed some good looks. Make or miss game.

I didn’t come away more optimistic or pessimistic about the game. But glad Cadeau looked for his offense. It looks like he’s going to need to provide some consistent scoring since there’s very little consistency in scoring behind RJ and Ingram. Nice that Ryan made a couple shots too.

Bench? What are you going to do? They’re role players. Wojcik hustled and did some little things. But there’s very little punch off that bench.

Can UNC get rid of elevator screen sets in late clock situations? It automatically puts 3 players in one area and we don’t counter off it at all. A wasted play and an easy one to blow up for a defense. Have something better that’s less static.

I'll be curious to see how the lack of game long energy and seemingly tired legs of the starters is resolved. There's a reason why you play your bench early in the season. Seems like dook sucked the wind out of our sails.

I wonder about the late game closing lineup when UNC has a small lead late and it becomes a FT/ball handling game.

If you’re in the double bonus, so you go with 4 guards and Bacot to have your best ball handlers and eliminate Ingram from shooting FTs? You can’t do this if it’s just 1and1. Do you sub Ingram for Withers? It’s something I’m interested in. There must be a better option than Ingram.

Game itself, thought RJ and Ryan had around-and-out misses on wide open 3s pretty late that would’ve made the win more comfortable. Ingram missed a wide open corner 3 too. All of those came on good action.

Miami shot like 2/12 from 3 in the 2nd half? I thought they missed some good looks. Make or miss game.

I didn’t come away more optimistic or pessimistic about the game. But glad Cadeau looked for his offense. It looks like he’s going to need to provide some consistent scoring since there’s very little consistency in scoring behind RJ and Ingram. Nice that Ryan made a couple shots too.

Bench? What are you going to do? They’re role players. Wojcik hustled and did some little things. But there’s very little punch off that bench.

Can UNC get rid of elevator screen sets in late clock situations? It automatically puts 3 players in one area and we don’t counter off it at all. A wasted play and an easy one to blow up for a defense. Have something better that’s less static.
Yeah, as I said, Jimmy is no fool. He was well prepped for elevator screens. But... we tore him up on backside flare action.

I'll be curious to see how the lack of game long energy and seemingly tired legs of the starters is resolved. There's a reason why you play your bench early in the season. Seems like dook sucked the wind out of our sails.
Again, Seth's availability is important. I just want to delay the first Guard sub to the under-12. That would help continuity tremendously.

Last edited:
In our last 2 games we have played extremely poorly in the last 4 minutes of each game. Turnovers, poor execution, missed free throws and questionable shot selections. I know that we miss Seth a lot but having veteran players play this poor is a problem. You could tell how tired EC was just by his breakaway steal as he intelligently conserved his energy by just laying it up and not punching it. Cormac’s stat line was not good. No rebounds, 3 TO’s, 1 assist and one of two from the line. I have said this all year long that Ingram’s free throws are a concerning issue. When RJ got the rebound at the end of the game and he threw it to Ingram to help free himself up and Ingram didn’t throw it right back to RJ that should have been just a basic play. Ingram has to have the self and game awareness to make that simple play. I went back and rewatched it and RJ was visibly frustrated by it. Btw what in the world was with that pass Ingram tried to rocket to Bacot late in the second half? lol, man that was bad. The last 2 fouls that were called on Bacot were two of the worst I’ve seen all year long and that is saying something. Great to get the win but it never ever should have gotten this close.
Somebody in the good seats could have been hurt by that Ingram pass. It looked like an 80 mph pass. When any basic pass would do.

Still - Ingram gives so much effort and energy and positivity on both ends. Another game no way we win without Ingram.

Thanks for the write up Gary… I am surprised you didn’t say more about Hubert again subbing EC off at the under 16. As far as I was concerned, it was the main factor in Miami’s fight back.

The UNC offence came out of that timeout directionless and dysfunctional and Miami pounced….

And Miami’s success in that stretch gave them confidence to keep fighting for the next thirty minutes.

Now, we don’t know what would have happened had EC remained in, but now we know what happens when he goes out so early…. So maybe it’s time for a different tactic.

Besides that, great to get a gritty win against a team that were determined and are talented.

I know conference games are tighter than they should be a lot of times and you can't judge one game to another but it is shocking the Louisville beat Miami at Miami and we almost lost.

We have taken a step back lately. Giving up over 70 points in our last 4 games. Previous 10 were 70 or less.

Somebody in the good seats could have been hurt by that Ingram pass. It looked like an 80 mph pass. When any basic pass would do.

Still - Ingram gives so much effort and energy and positivity on both ends. Another game no way we win without Ingram.
Absolutely! Ingram has been amazing this year! He has helped bring back that Carolina Way as he plays with such great joy and passion and it’s infectious to the rest of the Team and fanbase. I bet both RJ and EC sleep well tonight as both gave it their absolute all.

I know conference games are tighter than they should be a lot of times and you can't judge one game to another but it is shocking the Louisville beat Miami at Miami and we almost lost.

We have taken a step back lately. Giving up over 70 points in our last 4 games. Previous 10 were 70 or less.
Come on, man. That is not at all indicative. Teams scout and they adjust.

Good comments, folks. We needed that victory badly, and the effort that the Heels
demonstrated is what earned it.
Some careless turnovers almost negated our chances late, but surviving a Miami road game
is no small accomplishment.
Inch for inch, RJ is the best college basketball player in America this season. He busts his tail
every minute that he is on the floor. And Elliot just played his best game of the season ( so far 🤫).

GDTBATH

One thing I would like to see is for the staff not to go into milking the clock so early in late game situations with the lead. This has been something they have done several times over the last 3 years and I think sometimes they go to this with too much time still on the clock.

One thing I would like to see is for the staff not to go into milking the clock so early in late game situations with the lead. This has been something they have done several times over the last 3 years and I think sometimes they go to this with too much time still on the clock.
I totally agree! I think it gives the other team a chance to catch their breath right when it appears they are on the ropes. Keep pushing and I think more teams fold down the stretch.

I was thinking the same two things on Ingram. You can’t crap a BB at the FT line lately so give the ball back to RJ. Almost like he was stat searching. That pass to Bacot. I think the radar clocked it at 105mph. He catches that pass wrong and he might be out a couple games. lol

I never thought I would say this at the start of the season but we really miss Trimble. Ingram had a great block the fast break towards the end but the play of the game was Bacot’s D on Omar shot to tie the game. I assumed the refs would call some BS foul but they didn’t. Hopefully EC ‘s confidence is growing with those 2 3s. Good news the ones he missed looked on target just short. Previous games they were all over the place. Going to cause players to get within 5’ now instead of laying off 10’. Keep hitting them!

I was thinking the same two things on Ingram. You can’t crap a BB at the FT line lately so give the ball back to RJ. Almost like he was stat searching. That pass to Bacot. I think the radar clocked it at 105mph. He catches that pass wrong and he might be out a couple games. lol
Yeah if Bacot could have corralled that pass then he could be a great Tight End in the NFL, lol. I also loved the coaching staff’s reaction telling him next time to just shoot it, lol

Reactions: Heelicious
I missed the first 10mins of this game and even when I was able to try to watch had multiple distractions, I need to re-watch this one. The feeling I had after this game was almost like a loss. Oh my with the lazy cross court passing from Cadeau, was it Ryan that had that perfect pass to a defender that was not defending anyone? LOL Good to see Cadeau hit a couple treys, but 5 TOs and the ones I saw at least looked really casual. Like the kid a ton but that has to get cleaned up.

I looked at the half time stats, Bacot had 3 shots against a 6'7" defender, I get that Omeir is really strong and athletic but Bacot has a huge size advantage there. Small front lines our offense has to dominate, our big men have to eat those smaller front courts alive. I do like that after the half, the 2man show of Omier and Pack was stopped in it's tracks but why allow them both to get off in that first half. Really impressed with the work RJ did on Pack in that second half while still being a scorer, that kid is nothing but heart and guts, love it.

Looks like Hubert is slipping back in to a over coaching problem we had last season, he is back to calling way to many set plays and like last season, that makes us way to predictable. Turn them loose and let them play Hubert, don't fall back to last season. Feels like we are struggling much more to create good looks since that duke game, some of that is that we are being game planned, all teams are this time of the season. Some of it in my view is Hubert both slipping back in to some over coaching (calling to many set plays) and some of his rotations concern me. Looks like he is using Paxon as a direct replacement part for Seth and no offense to Paxon but that to me is a HUGE drop off that I would have hoped Ryan could fill but that isn't happening.

The last 2 games have shown me how much this team needs Seth's defense out there, it at times is as if Seth is the catalyst for our defense, would have loved to have seen him snuff out Pack in that first half. Best I can piece together is that Seth may have caught a blow to the head Tues morning at shoot around or practice the day before and I suspect has been in concussion protocol since so would think he will be available for our next game. Don't run with that as fact but that is the whispers.

On to the JBoyzs, Jwit to me is all the way on or all the way off, the talent is there but he just can't seem to get on the same page at times? As for Jalen, despite the loud nay sayers that take every op to throw shade at him, he is like every other player, has strengths and weaknesses, one of his weakness is getting switched off to guards he struggles to defend, trys to check and get back to his guy and gets caught in no man's land. Gosh, wouldn't it be nice to maybe not have your 6'10" guy switching off on to guards? Wouldn't it be nice to actually work to get the kid some jump shot ops against a smaller front courts rather than just use him to set screens, considering that he has shown in games the ability to hit those jumpers?

My game ball for this one goes to RJ, his points were huge but the work he put in to defend Pack in that second half was game changing. Honorable mention to both Bacot for his second half work on Omeir and Cadeau for his big game scoring, I may have given Cadeau half the game ball had it not been for those 5 TOs.

Ingram is one of my favorites on this team for his constant aggressive hustle play. But it is troubling with his FTs. Can anyone think of a recent player who can shoot so well from the open three point area but so miserable from the FT line? Got to be in his head. Anyone know what he shot last year at Stanford?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Watching the game this morning knowing the outcome was interesting. Last three FGs were Cadeau 3, Mondo from Cadeau assist, Cadeau layup. He followed that up with two perfect setup passes for wide open 3s-one Ryan and one Ingram-both misses obviously. Kid made some mistakes but his aggressiveness is exactly what this team needs along with more toughness to convert both inside and out. His FT stroke has been more confident over the last handful of games and the attempts from 3 definitely looked better yesterday.

Watching the game this morning knowing the outcome was interesting. Last three FGs were Cadeau 3, Mondo from Cadeau assist, Cadeau layup. He followed that up with two perfect setup passes for wide open 3s-one Ryan and one Ingram-both misses obviously. Kid made some mistakes but his aggressiveness is exactly what this team needs along with more toughness to convert both inside and out. His FT stroke has been more confident over the last handful of games and the attempts from 3 definitely looked better yesterday.
Spot on. He's the catalyst we just don't have when he's off the floor, which is when things come so with much more difficulty.

It's a constant ongoing thing. This isn't a finite deal.
If you think we played our best against Miami then you're crazy. We were up like 12 with less than 8 or 9 mins to go.. we blew the lead doing stupid stuff. Turnovers or jacking up bad shots. None of that was caused by Miami scouting us. Bottom line is we played bad in a lot of stretches during the game. We didn't play a full 40 minutes of Carolina basketball.

That was a
Ingram is one of my favorites on this team for his constant aggressive hustle play. But it is troubling with his FTs. Can anyone think of a recent player who can shoot so well from the open three point area but so miserable from the FT line? Got to be in his head. Anyone know what he shot last year at Stanford?
61% career FT shooter, it's always been an issue. And his FT % has gotten progressively worse each season:

66% as a freshman
60% as a sophomore
55% as a junior

Makes no sense to be a knockdown 3-pt shooter and shoot so poorly from the line! I wonder if he's just overperforming his true talent level on threes this year.

Reactions: thompsjj and gary-7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT