ADVERTISEMENT

50 years ago

Dec 5, 2005
Had my first date with my wife at Duke to watch the Heels lose to the "Shoestring" play by Leo Hart, the Duke Qb. I'm going to be in Kenan this Saturday to hopefully watch the "Ratskeller, Zoom, Carolina Grill, Porthole Heels put it on the Damn Blue Devils!!!

Reactions: Archer2
Had my first date with my wife at Duke to watch the Heels lose to the "Shoestring" play by Leo Hart, the Duke Qb. I'm going to be in Kenan this Saturday to hopefully watch the "Ratskeller, Zoom, Carolina Grill, Porthole Heels put it on the Damn Blue Devils!!!

That game was played in Durham in 1969.
The last home game that I failed to attend in BKS, was the Dook game the previous year.

Last edited:
Duke has high admissions standards. They should use sophisticated strategy and trick plays in every game

And coming up 60 years ago was the famous Thanksgiving Day 50-0 hurting the Heels put on dook, on national television no less (which was more of a big deal in 1959!)

And coming up 60 years ago was the famous Thanksgiving Day 50-0 hurting the Heels put on dook, on national television no less (which was more of a big deal in 1959!)
How did that game get on national TV?

I assume that game was what Spurrier was trying to avenge in 1989.

How did that game get on national TV?.
I'm not sure of the ":hows," but that was the national feature game on Thanksgiving Day that year.

And it was definitely the one Spurrier was trying to avenge. He was quoted as saying that he wanted the Blue Devils to win 51-0 "to eclipse the Carolina 50-0 win in 1959,"

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT