ADVERTISEMENT

UNC at Syracuse game thread on Tuesday 13 February 2024

Honestly how the f do we show up and just assume if we take the court it’s an automatic win. No idea what to do if they run a zone. No idea how / when to press them -instead just let them slow the game down and get any shot they want all game long in iso ball.

At some point hub is going to wake this team up. No mo Mr nice guy. Call them out and look for actual leaders.

Whole lotta trash. Wonder if we will hear the same BS lip service after the game like the last two times we did not show up, or if someone will actually have a thought on what to do about it
You mean like coaching? And leadership by players? That’d be nice.

Really just hate it for Hubert. Really thought he turned a corner this year and was starting his own era. If the wheels fall off it might be time to show him the door
They've been ranked in the top 10 for a while, and they got there by winning games. Let's not fire the guy just yet.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Really just hate it for Hubert. Really thought he turned a corner this year and was starting his own era. If the wheels fall off it might be time to show him the door
Right. This game seemed back to the games of last couple years where hubs looks like he’s a spectator in a sport he’s never seen before. Like he has no possible way to make any strategic adjustments, mix it up.

The combination of cuse being entirely comfortable getting anywhere they want on offense at exactly the slow pace they want - and we were doomed to not be able to attack inside the paint on offense - just pathetic coaching.

I said from the beginning I thought this team needed to be playing a lot more full court D, and really try to get into the legs of opponents. Tonight Syracuse's backcourt never came off the floor, and we just let them play slow all game.

Reactions: Heelicious
Honestly how the f do we show up and just assume if we take the court it’s an automatic win. No idea what to do if they run a zone. No idea how / when to press them -instead just let them slow the game down and get any shot they want all game long in iso ball.

At some point hub is going to wake this team up. No mo Mr nice guy. Call them out and look for actual leaders.
Coaching…He is to nice…Want even call out the Refs on calls or get a T…Unfortunately this is where UNC basketball is at…I hate it for Coach Davis because he is a good guy but this Job is like coaching the NYY or the Boston Celtics….Its 1 of the toughest jobs in the world….Every game is put under a microscope…Still got games left but if this thing goes sideways the seat will get hotter…

For a veteran player Cormac sure doesn’t make players around him better. Why didn’t Hubert put in Trimble for Cormac instead of EC? Trimble seemed very slow. I have to agree why in the world did we not try and press and push the ball? When that kid banked in that long 3 I said that’s game because it ignited Syracuse once again. Ingram got the tip out by Bacot on our next possession and he went in for a contested layup and RJ was wide open and getting into a groove, he misses it and now they go up 4 at the 3 minute mark. Just a terrible job of coaching. I also thought that RJ would be jacked to go back home to play in NY. Somebody needs to be a leader DURING the game and try and fire everyone up. Our defense was PATHETIC!

I think all of us want Hubert to be a great coach and stay here for a long time, unfortunately I see way too much evidence over three years that he’s just not a good coach. Hubert is probably a below average coach that has been somewhat helped by being at a blueblood that attracts top talent but I don’t think we can expect Hubert to consistently out coach the opposition when the talent is comparable.

I think all of us want Hubert to be a great coach and stay here for a long time, unfortunately I see way too much evidence over three years that he’s just not a good coach. Hubert is probably a below average coach that has been somewhat helped by being at a blueblood that attracts top talent but I don’t think we can expect Hubert to consistently out coach the opposition when the talent is comparable.
This doesn't make him a good or bad coach, but I think he's gotten a fair amount out of this group. It's one of those "sum of the parts" kinds of teams. I'm waiting for this season to end before grading him, but if he's a coach that needs talent to win, then he's in the.... 85% of coaches in college basketball? There's no debating that Roy was a better coach than Hubert, but Roy needed absolute studs to win meaningful games at UNC.

I don't view this team as an overly talented group. No one wants to hear it after an upset loss and the worst stretch of games during the season, but I think Hubert's actually gotten a fair amount out of this fairly limited (0 1st round picks) roster.

They've been ranked in the top 10 for a while, and they got there by winning games. Let's not fire the guy just yet.
I agree, not time to fire him yet but I still dont really understand this team being ranked so high lately. Is it because they beat Tenn and Oklahoma and won some ACC games?

I agree, not time to fire him yet but I still dont really understand this team being ranked so high lately. Is it because they beat Tenn and Oklahoma and won some ACC games?
Pretty much. They were 10-0 in the ACC. That's a pretty big accomplishment. I just hope they didn't hit their peak in that stretch. They haven't lost anyone for the season due to injury. The players aren't bringing their A-game to EVERY game like they were a month ago. We'll see.

I know Bacot was hobbling / limping, but this is the kind of game where against a zone and good interior passing , Bacot should have been able to go for 20+ easy, and dominate their bigs. Instead of us jacking up a bunch o 3s on it seems 50% + of our shots. Never even got in the bonus second half.

Reactions: Heels5150
This doesn't make him a good or bad coach, but I think he's gotten a fair amount out of this group. It's one of those "sum of the parts" kinds of teams. I'm waiting for this season to end before grading him, but if he's a coach that needs talent to win, then he's in the.... 85% of coaches in college basketball? There's no debating that Roy was a better coach than Hubert, but Roy needed absolute studs to win meaningful games at UNC.

I don't view this team as an overly talented group. No one wants to hear it after an upset loss and the worst stretch of games during the season, but I think Hubert's actually gotten a fair amount out of this fairly limited (0 1st round picks) roster.
This is an insane post lmao

Not only does he start 4 (!!!) high school All Americans but 3 of them are upper classmen! You could argue its the best situation in the country considering the only teams with more talent are mostly freshmen and sophomores like Dook and Kentucky

If you wanna make talent arguments that’s one thing but a very experienced team regressing as the season goes on and sleepwalking through games a month before the tournament is the sign of a poorly coached team

Pretty much. They were 10-0 in the ACC. That's a pretty big accomplishment. I just hope they didn't hit their peak in that stretch. They haven't lost anyone for the season due to injury. The players aren't bringing their A-game to EVERY game like they were a month ago. We'll see.
Yea, 10-0 is definitely an accomplishment, just not sure it's deserving of #3. That stretch did show some solid D and desire to win which seems to have faded. This has been a fun group to watch until recently, hope they get that desire back. I think they are fully capable of winning some games in March. Yes, we'll see...

Reactions: strummingram
This is an insane post lmao

Not only does he start 4 (!!!) high school All Americans but 3 of them are upper classmen! You could argue its the best situation in the country considering the only teams with more talent are mostly freshmen and sophomores like Dook and Kentucky

If you wanna make talent arguments that’s one thing but a very experienced team regressing as the season goes on and sleepwalking through games a month before the tournament is the sign of a poorly coached team
I don't care all that much about high school All Americans. I care more about which players have NBA caliber talent. That's my preference and how I compare talent. Also, I think people overrate the talent on this team because some people say Elliot Cadeau is a generational talent. He isn't.

Aside from that, they have a 6'0" 2-guard who's going to be an All American (coincidentally has become an AA player under Hubert), they have Ingram who isn't explosive enough to finish consistently around the rim, they have a 25-year-old player who probably peaked 3 years ago, and Bacot probably peaked 2 years ago.

Especially compared to really good UNC teams since 2000, where would this team rank talent wise? Like 10th most talented in the last 20+ seasons? That may even be generous.

Preseason, this team was 50-1 to win the National Championship at some sports books. The preseason polls had them 19th. I think the advanced metric sites had them preseason 16th'ish.

Now, they're 18-1 to win the National Championship at FanDuel. They were #7 in the polls coming into tonight. And the advanced metric sites had them 10-13 coming into tonight.

Agreed. Players OR coaches. If they brought like 80-90% of the coaching prep and player intensity they brought for Dook they probably win all three lost games. It’s not just about “the ball not going in for us and it does go in for them”. The problem is strategy,prep, readiness and playing with intensity and fight.

Reactions: strummingram

The days of showing up and assuming we are going to win or scare anyone are long gone. I remember and miss those days.

This team is beginning to look eerily similar to last year especially with the low basketball IQ

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT