ADVERTISEMENT

UNC at Syracuse game thread on Tuesday 13 February 2024

Agreed. Players OR coaches. If they brought like 80-90% of the coaching prep and player intensity they brought for Dook they probably win all three lost games. It’s not just about “the ball not going in for us and it does go in for them”. The problem is strategy,prep, readiness and playing with intensity and fight.
This team has to play its best, or at least close to it. There does seem to be some pretty glaring regression. I hope they didn't peak in the 1st dookie match-up. They're the same team, so it must be an answer. It's a long season. But, HD is playing the bench less and less.

I don't care all that much about high school All Americans. I care more about which players have NBA caliber talent. That's my preference and how I compare talent. Also, I think people overrate the talent on this team because some people say Elliot Cadeau is a generational talent. He isn't.

Aside from that, they have a 6'0" 2-guard who's going to be an All American (coincidentally has become an AA player under Hubert), they have Ingram who isn't explosive enough to finish consistently around the rim, they have a 25-year-old player who probably peaked 3 years ago, and Bacot probably peaked 2 years ago.

Especially compared to really good UNC teams since 2000, where would this team rank talent wise? Like 10th most talented in the last 20+ seasons? That may even be generous.

Preseason, this team was 50-1 to win the National Championship at some sports books. The preseason polls had them 19th. I think the advanced metric sites had them preseason 16th'ish.

Now, they're 18-1 to win the National Championship at FanDuel. They were #7 in the polls coming into tonight. And the advanced metric sites had them 10-13 coming into tonight.
You arent going to have both experience and high level NBA talent in college basketball in this day and age. The portal also makes it almost impossible to build a team without any flaws. There are maybe 5 coaches in the entire country that wouldnt trade their roster with Hubert tomorrow

After we win 5 in a row and are 24-6 headed to Hansbrough Indoor, the tune on this board will change. Fans are so fickle and ebb and flow with the tide. It's almost comical! I can't wait to hear how good we are when we win the ACC regular season and tournament titles.

I know Bacot was hobbling / limping, but this is the kind of game where against a zone and good interior passing , Bacot should have been able to go for 20+ easy, and dominate their bigs. Instead of us jacking up a bunch o 3s on it seems 50% + of our shots. Never even got in the bonus second half.
We shot 47% on threes, so that wasn't the problem at all. In fact, it kept us in the game.

The problem was the other end. Syracuse shot 63% for the entire game! 71% from 2! Winning is almost impossible when that happens.

You arent going to have both experience and high level NBA talent in college basketball in this day and age. The portal also makes it almost impossible to build a team without any flaws. There are maybe 5 coaches in the entire country that wouldnt trade their roster with Hubert tomorrow
I think the team is a bit limited (compared to our peers, not the average school) personally. We're a small team -- undersized at the 1,2, and 3; limited length with the 4 and 5. Usually if a team is smaller you'd assume they have a quickness advantage, but we don't have that either. In fact, I'd say Cadeau is the only above average athlete for his position amongst the starters.

Without that size / quickness, you'd need to have a lot of scoring firepower to overcome your other deficiencies. We come closest to being great here, but as we're seeing we're still a bit too limited. It's still mostly only RJ that can create; Ingram is a spot up shooter basically and Bacot isn't able to take advantage of many matchups.

It's still better than most ACC schools, but we don't have enough that anyone should be expecting dominance.

I think the team is a bit limited (compared to our peers, not the average school) personally. We're a small team -- undersized at the 1,2, and 3; limited length with the 4 and 5. Usually if a team is smaller you'd assume they have a quickness advantage, but we don't have that either. In fact, I'd say Cadeau is the only above average athlete for his position amongst the starters.

Without that size / quickness, you'd need to have a lot of scoring firepower to overcome your other deficiencies. We come closest to being great here, but as we're seeing we're still a bit too limited. It's still mostly only RJ that can create; Ingram is a spot up shooter basically and Bacot isn't able to take advantage of many matchups.

It's still better than most ACC schools, but we don't have enough that anyone should be expecting dominance.
You're right. We had a nice run with opponents not hitting their shots. They're now hitting their shots and we aren't. We were either really lucky before or we have taken a big step back. Not sure which one it is yet.. either way, im afraid we don't have the horses to run again this year...

After we win 5 in a row and are 24-6 headed to Hansbrough Indoor, the tune on this board will change. Fans are so fickle and ebb and flow with the tide. It's almost comical! I can't wait to hear how good we are when we win the ACC regular season and tournament titles.
You're joking. That's not happening.

You're right. We had a nice run with opponents not hitting their shots. They're now hitting their shots and we aren't. We were either really lucky before or we have taken a big step back. Not sure which one it is yet.. either way, im afraid we don't have the horses to run again this year...
We got very lucky for awhile. There was a 4 game stretch I think at the start of ACC play where opponents hit 15% of their threes. Totally unsustainable. The flip side is a game like today; has to be Cuse's best shooting all year. We got pretty unlucky.

Hope you’re right but don’t see that happening

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT