ADVERTISEMENT

Alex "Can't Miss' Murphy

Steat

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2006
Former Duke and Florida forward Alex Murphy was granted a 6th year by NCAA and will play at Northeastern this season.

— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) September 20, 2016

Can't believe Murphy is still hanging around. To refresh everyone's memory, Murphy is the only 5-star player in history to be red-shirted. K, The Leader of Men not only did this to this man, but also forced Murphy to transfer. He also convinced Murphy to give up his last year in high school.

Over the last several years K has convinced 3 players to forgo their last year in high school. Alex "Can't Miss" Murphy, Andre "Bail Out" Dawkins and Derrick Thornton. The common thing about all of them is that he abused them all.

He forced Murphy and Thornton to transfer and Dawkins graduated with mental problems caused, in part my K's actions. Dawkins is a ready a sad case. I'm still praying for the young man..

K, the Leader of Men.

Last edited:
twenty-million-dollar-six-packs-the-write-transition-5LLgfl-clipart.png

I got my popcorn ready; the JCD circus should be fun!

ratty is a very caring person; he cares about himself, his legacy, his won-loss record, his name on the court, his hair color, a few of his starters, his salary, his buddies Templeton, Feivel, and Ratatouille, and his cheese!

I really don't understand why peeps haven't called him out on his mistreatment of so many young men that he supposedly is helping to mold.

I got my popcorn ready; the JCD circus should be fun!

ratty is a very caring person; he cares about himself, his legacy, his won-loss record, his name on the court, his hair color, a few of his starters, his salary, his buddies Templeton, Feivel, and Ratatouille, and his cheese!

I really don't understand why peeps haven't called him out on his mistreatment of so many young men that he supposedly is helping to mold.
Nothing against Murphy --- glad he's getting a chance to play for someone --- but this just reiterates how damned shi^^y it was for the NCAA to deny Bobby a 5th year. That in itself would have saved us from Larry Drew leading us to the NIT. :mad:

It also illustrates the incredible double standard that exists.

1. The rule for D-1 programs
2. The rule for the Rat Kingdom!

I can't wait for this person to retire.

Reactions: gary-7
Former Duke and Florida forward Alex Murphy was granted a 6th year by NCAA and will play at Northeastern this season.

Can't believe Murphy is still hanging around. To refresh everyone's memory, Murphy is the only 5-star player in history to be red-shirted. K, The Leader of Men not only did this to this man, but also forced Murphy to transfer. He also convinced Murphy to give up his last year in high school.

Over the last several years K has convinced 3 players to forgo their last year in high school. Alex "Can't Miss" Murphy, Andre "Bail Out" Dawkins and Derrick Thornton. The common thing about all of them is that he abused them all.

He forced Murphy and Thornton to transfer and Dawkins graduated with mental problems caused, in part my K's actions. Dawkins is a ready a sad case. I'm still praying for the young man..

K, the Leader of Men.
I don't post here much because I'm a Duke fan and this is your board but to blame Dawkins' "mental problems" on K and not the fact that the young man's sister was killed in a car accident is a little ridiculous. I get that you guys hate K, comes with the rivalry, but I don't see how you can suggest that a tragic death in the family and the effects it had on Andre (which are understandable) are somehow his coach's fault.

Good luck to Alex, he never quite lived up to his ranking out of high school which fits some posters narrative about star rankings on this forum... but I get that it won't in this instance.

Not a big fan of getting kids to come early, hasn't worked out much for Duke.

Reactions: TrillBlue
I don't post here much because I'm a Duke fan and this is your board but to blame Dawkins' "mental problems" on K and not the fact that the young man's sister was killed in a car accident is a little ridiculous. I get that you guys hate K, comes with the rivalry, but I don't see how you can suggest that a tragic death in the family and the effects it had on Andre (which are understandable) are somehow his coach's fault.
I agree for the most part. But I can't help but think if he'd had more support from the LOM while at dook, he may have handled what happened to his sister more successfully.

Neither am I.

K, the Leader of Men.
Harsh, but that's sure the way it looks.

Nothing against Murphy --- glad he's getting a chance to play for someone --- but this just reiterates how damned shi^^y it was for the NCAA to deny Bobby a 5th year. That in itself would have saved us from Larry Drew leading us to the NIT. :mad:
Absolutely. And for those who don't know or remember, injuries to Bobby Frasor cost him most of 2 seasons. In both cases he barely missed the number-of-games cutoff for a medical redshirt. He appealed for one more year. He had missed well more than a full year due to injuries in just those 2 seasons alone. But he was denied.

But back to Murphy.... I'm glad to see him get a final chance. IIRC we offered him, too. I bet he would have worked out fine here. Maybe he wasn't really 5-star talent. Who knows? But Roy would have helped him develop and he would have gotten decent PT every year. 'Cause that's how Roy does things.

Therein lies the important difference. Here a kid will be respected and developed even if they are not living up to their ranking. At puke, if you can't advance or enhance the reputation of the rat king, you will not get any run. You will also be recruited over and discarded as soon as you prove you can't advance the rat!

That's why the LOM maintains the Kenny Dennard Memorial seat at the far end of the bench.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND

Good luck to Alex, he never quite lived up to his ranking out of high school which fits some posters narrative about star rankings on this forum... but I get that it won't in this instance.

The LOM contributed to Dawkins mental problems. It does not take a rocket scientist to realize that the death of his sister was the primary problem. K forced Dawkins to take a redshirt year.

Alex Murphy sucks, honestly. If he did play for us, I'd be disappointed if he played more than Joel James-type minutes.
The difference is that Joel James played 4 years for the Heels. If Joel James played for the K (LOM) he would have been forced out after his first year.

The difference is that Joel James played 4 years for the Heels. If Joel James played for the K (LOM) he would have been forced out after his first year.

What do you mean forced out? K is always complaining about not having enough practice players. He loves having guys like Josh Hairston, Vrankovc, Obi, and Robinson that will willingly sit on the bench for multiple years while still busting their chops everyday and allow for 5 on 5 scrimmages.

The LOM contributed to Dawkins mental problems. It does not take a rocket scientist to realize that the death of his sister was the primary problem. K forced Dawkins to take a redshirt year.

and he got his mental health needs taken care of and he came back....also murphy didnt do too well at florida either, so did billy d shortchange him as well....kid just wasnt as good as his ranking..........and you said earlier he forced thornton to transfer???really??...the only pure pg and he averaged 26 minutes per game

thorntons words: “I have loved my time at Duke, but I want to pursue the opportunity to play college basketball closer to home,” said Thornton, who leaves in good academic standing and expects to sign on with another Division I program. “I want to thank my teammates and coaches for their support this year. The relationships I have with them will always be special to me.”

Alex, by all accounts, is a terrific kid. He and his family were both very much on board with a redshirt year, and I think everything that has occurred in his career since then has illustrated why they went that route. To lay his struggles at K's feet is more than a stretch. He moved on to Florida, and did not really set the world on fire there (5 pts. and 2 rbs. in 14 min. a game, followed by 3 pts. and 1 reb. in 7 min. a game through 3 games before his injury). He is a great kid, but it would be hard to argue that he wasn't overrated coming out of high school, as evidenced by production at MULTIPLE Power 5 schools. I wish him well, and I hope he has a great final year at UF.

Reactions: TrillBlue
and he got his mental health needs taken care of and he came back....also murphy didnt do too well at florida either, so did billy d shortchange him as well....kid just wasnt as good as his ranking..........and you said earlier he forced thornton to transfer???really??...the only pure pg and he averaged 26 minutes per game

thorntons words: “I have loved my time at Duke, but I want to pursue the opportunity to play college basketball closer to home,” said Thornton, who leaves in good academic standing and expects to sign on with another Division I program. “I want to thank my teammates and coaches for their support this year. The relationships I have with them will always be special to me.”

boogie boogie boogie! LOL

I live in a world where A+B = C and when that doesn't happen I question what up? With Thornton, we have a kid that skipped his senior HS year just to be part of duke basketball a year sooner. Yet as duke's ONLY PG he transfers out of the program...but when he says goodbye the words begin with " “I have loved my time at Duke, but I want to pursue the opportunity to play college basketball closer to home,”???

He LOVED his time at duke so much that he no longer wants to be a part of it? That is a funny version of love, don't ya think? I love ya so I no longer want to be a part of you? Meaning, that statement IMO can be considered to be what I am supposed to say more than what I really want to say so let my actions out weight my phony words...

Alex, by all accounts, is a terrific kid. He and his family were both very much on board with a redshirt year, and I think everything that has occurred in his career since then has illustrated why they went that route. To lay his struggles at K's feet is more than a stretch. He moved on to Florida, and did not really set the world on fire there (5 pts. and 2 rbs. in 14 min. a game, followed by 3 pts. and 1 reb. in 7 min. a game through 3 games before his injury). He is a great kid, but it would be hard to argue that he wasn't overrated coming out of high school, as evidenced by production at MULTIPLE Power 5 schools. I wish him well, and I hope he has a great final year at UF.

So ya sayin K could not develop a 6'8" 215lb 4 star player? Wonder if this is information Kevin Knox could use?

Clearly, the track record of kids giving up their senior high school seasons for K and his dukies is not stellar at all. Why is that, drama for Dawkins, Murphy, and Thornton, 2 of them had to transfer and one had to red shirt in between played seasons?

Reactions: heelbent

thorntons words: “I have loved my time at Duke, but I want to pursue the opportunity to play college basketball closer to home,” said Thornton, who leaves in good academic standing and expects to sign on with another Division I program". I want to thank my teammates and coaches for their support this year. The relationships I have with them will always be special to me.”

"Can't Touch That" Boogie I love ya man.

A big issue here is the "Code". I know you remember when Sulaimon was dismissed by K (The Leader of Men) said Sulaimon "has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of the Duke program". Sulaimon's mom is on RECORD as saying that there was a lot she wanted to say about what happened at Duke, but she and her son were "afraid" to "break the CODE". It's really funny that all you Duke fans have not commented on her statement about the CODE. Everyone knows that the K has a "CODE" that, if broken could ruin their life after leaving Duke. There is no way that Sulaimon would have been able to transfer to Maryland or any other school if he would have broken the Duke "Code". K with his contacts would have assured that Sulaimon would have been blackballed from attending other schools.

Bottomline, and there is clear history with the Leader of Men . If you cannot help K win games he will push you aside. If Dawkins was playing for the Heels, there is no way Roy would have forced him to take a redshirt year, this after convincing him to forego his last year in high school. Sometimes playing with adversity gets your mind off tragedies. K does not care about any of that. If K does NOT think you can help him win he will push you aside..period... Didn't Dawkins play an important role in a prior year in your championship run? No way Roy would have redshirted Dawkins. He will go down in history as one of the best outside shooters ever at Duke. K wants to break Wooden's record and he will retire a disgruntled man for not accomplishing it.

Last edited:
So ya sayin K could not develop a 6'8" 215lb 4 star player? Wonder if this is information Kevin Knox could use?

Multiple coaches at multiple Power 5 schools have had multiple years to try to get consistent production out of Alex and it hasn't happened. Maybe he just is what he is, and that's okay.

I think that, in general, is probably a tough argument to get to stick. This is just my opinion, but I think you could make a compelling argument that players in that size and position range (guys who play a lot of face-up 4 in college and are likely NBA 3's) is where K has had some of his greatest success. Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Mike Dunleavy, Loul Deng, Kyle Singler, Chris Carrawell, Justise Winslow, Jabari Parker, Brandon Ingram, etc. I think if you weigh that scale (4* and 5* stars that worked out vs. ones that didn't), it is going to be overwhelmingly tipped one way.

And as far as Knox, I think he is more likely to go to UNC than Duke.

If Dawkins was playing for the Heels, there is no way Roy would have forced him to take a redshirt year, this after convincing him to forego his last year in high school. Sometimes playing with adversity gets your mind off tragedies. K does not care about any of that. If K does NOT think you can help him win he will push you aside..period... Didn't Dawkins play an important role in a prior year in your championship run? No way Roy would have redshirted Dawkins. He will go down in history as one of the best outside shooters ever at Duke. K wants to break Wooden's record and he will retire a disgruntled man for not accomplishing it.
Even if it was what was best for Andre, by his own admission? The kid was suffering from depression, took a year off and got the help he needed then came back to the team. I would like to think that Roy Williams or any coach that cared at all about his players would do the same thing.

Even if it was what was best for Andre, by his own admission? The kid was suffering from depression, took a year off and got the help he needed then came back to the team. I would like to think that Roy Williams or any coach that cared at all about his players would do the same thing.

Break the CODE and K will ruin your future life. Sad, but true. Dawkins did'nt want to redshirt. K told him that if he wanted to stay in the program he needed to redshirt. Bottomline, Dawkins didn't have a choice. What do you think about Suliamon's mom comments?

Last edited:
boogie boogie boogie! LOL

I live in a world where A+B = C and when that doesn't happen I question what up? With Thornton, we have a kid that skipped his senior HS year just to be part of duke basketball a year sooner. Yet as duke's ONLY PG he transfers out of the program...but when he says goodbye the words begin with " “I have loved my time at Duke, but I want to pursue the opportunity to play college basketball closer to home,”???

He LOVED his time at duke so much that he no longer wants to be a part of it? That is a funny version of love, don't ya think? I love ya so I no longer want to be a part of you? Meaning, that statement IMO can be considered to be what I am supposed to say more than what I really want to say so let my actions out weight my phony words...

also probably code for he thought he was going to have have a bigger role, but guys like allen and ingram were just better....its not like he didnt play...26mpg and a pretty good stat line 7ppg 2 reb 3 ast.....he wants to go somewhere and be "THE MAN", nothing wrong with that

Seems like there was a lot of sketchy stuff going on with Suliamon. Would love to know what actually happened and what the staff knew before the dismissal. I doubt we'll ever find out, unfortunately.

But as for Dawkins, that's some non-sense. Dook had a pretty good team in 2013 and they had one guard coming off the bench, Tyler Thornton. Dook usually has a sucky bench anyway, but they were especially poor in 2013. You think K & company actually wanted to lose firepower off the bench when their cupboard was almost bare?

also probably code for he thought he was going to have have a bigger role, but guys like allen and ingram were just better....its not like he didnt play...26mpg and a pretty good stat line 7ppg 2 reb 3 ast.....he wants to go somewhere and be "THE MAN", nothing wrong with that
You dodged the "CODE" issue Boogie. Give it another try Oh Great One!

Break the CODE and K will ruin your future life. Sad, but true. Dawkins did'nt want to redshirt. K told him that if he wanted to stay in the program he needed to redshirt. Bottomline, Dawkins didn't have a choice. What do you think about Suliamon's mom comments?
I don't know much about her comments so I don't have anything to add to that and I have been discussing Dawkins not Sulaimon.

How do you know Dawkins didn't want to redshirt? Why didn't he transfer if he was forced to redshirt against his will? Why did he come back after getting the help he needed instead of going to another school? Stating what you think happened as a fact doesn't make it a fact. Here is a link to an article on the Dawkins redshirt situation if you're interested:
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/20...e-dawkins-duke-basketball-profile-2013-season

"Can't Touch That" Boogie I love ya man.

A big issue here is the "Code". I know you remember when Sulaimon was dismissed by K (The Leader of Men) said Sulaimon "has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of the Duke program". Sulaimon's mom is on RECORD as saying that there was a lot she wanted to say about what happened at Duke, but she and her son were "afraid" to "break the CODE". It's really funny that all you Duke fans have not commented on her statement about the CODE. Everyone knows that the K has a "CODE" that, if broken could ruin their life after leaving Duke. There is no way that Sulaimon would have been able to transfer to Maryland or any other school if he would have broken the Duke "Code". K with his contacts would have assured that Sulaimon would have been blackballed from attending other schools.

Bottomline, and there is clear history with the Leader of Men . If you cannot help K win games he will push you aside. If Dawkins was playing for the Heels, there is no way Roy would have forced him to take a redshirt year, this after convincing him to forego his last year in high school. Sometimes playing with adversity gets your mind off tragedies. K does not care about any of that. If K does NOT think you can help him win he will push you aside..period... Didn't Dawkins play an important role in a prior year in your championship run? No way Roy would have redshirted Dawkins. He will go down in history as one of the best outside shooters ever at Duke. K wants to break Wooden's record and he will retire a disgruntled man for not accomplishing it.

the accusations against rasheed were ugly and ultimately unfounded....i liked the kid, but some of his antics on court probably were the same in practice and enough was enough i guess...i wasnt there, but it was a program 1st, not a pattern......the redshirt year was to get his mental health in order and to seek help while not having to focus on basketball....have you read the article....it was a relief for andre to get away and get his mind right....roy wouldnt have wanted him to get help for his mental health struggles????....also, you know dawkins had already completed 4 YEARS of high school.....right?....steat your post is also filled with a lot of personal assumptions:)

Reactions: tw3301
You dodged the "CODE" issue Boogie. Give it another try Oh Great One!

hahaha..i used code before i actually read "code".... idk??!!?....i am sure rasheed's mother was in her feelings about what her son was going through and how his name was being tarnished

I don't know much about her comments so I don't have anything to add to that and I have been discussing Dawkins not Sulaimon.

How do you know Dawkins didn't want to redshirt? Why didn't he transfer if he was forced to redshirt against his will? Why did he come back after getting the help he needed instead of going to another school? Stating what you think happened as a fact doesn't make it a fact. Here is a link to an article on the Dawkins redshirt situation if you're interested:
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/20...e-dawkins-duke-basketball-profile-2013-season

exactly...he also had a spread in Si taling about this as well

First off boogie, really wished more rival fans were as enjoyable to go back & forth with as you are, just wanted you to know that you are welcome and at least respected by me here!

Being fair, it does strike me as being a bit of a lack of maturity on the kids part, I will give you that. Then again, his role should have been made more clear considering he was talked in to giving up his senior season to be a key to being able to tell other recruits they actually had a great PG coming to duke. It smells a lil like the kid was used for his rep of being A great PG and then kinda marginalized once his rep was no longer needed. Put it this way, the keys to the our next great PG car were not exactly given to him when he stepped on campus as they were Ty Jones or Ingram.

the accusations against rasheed were ugly and ultimately unfounded....i liked the kid, but some of his antics on court probably were the same in practice and enough was enough i guess...i wasnt there, but it was a program 1st, not a pattern......the redshirt year was to get his mental health in order and to seek help while not having to focus on basketball....have you read the article....it was a relief for andre to get away and get his mind right....roy wouldnt have wanted him to get help for his mental health struggles????....also, you know dawkins had already completed 4 YEARS of high school.....right?....steat your post is also filled with a lot of personal assumptions:)

It is a shame how K treated Dawkins and he should be called out by Duke fans. Dawkins sister died in a car accident in December 2009 . He went on to play had a critical role in helping Duke win the NCAA title 3 months later. Bottomline, K gets what he wants. K used his influence to convince Dawkins to continue to play the rest of that season at a time when the kid really needed to take the rest of the season off. But once again, K was only thinking about himself winning a championship and used Dawkins good outside shooting to have him accomplish this. This is typical K only thinking about himself at a time when the kid probably need to take the rest of the season off. Then 2 years later when K has other outside shooters on the roster he forces Dawkins to take a redshirt year. If it smells like a rat and looks like a rat it is a rat. K is the most self-centered coach in NCAA history. As much as the man has accomplished in his career it is never enough. Dawkins sister died in a car accident in December 2009, right in the middle of that championship season. Where was K's sympathy at that time? Kinda weird that K and most Duke fans had no problem with Dawkins playing the rest of that season to help in the championship run. Think about it. There was major tragedy in Dawkins life and the Duke fans could only think about their championship run. You did not hear ANY duke fans calling for Dawkins to take the rest of the season off. But they are so caring about Dawkins health when the K has other outside shooters on the team 2 years later that can easily fill the shooting guard role. K, the Leader of Men and his cult-like followers with clear case of amnesia.

Last edited:
Reactions: yrusonvus

Let me put it another way? Should Dawkins have taken the rest of the 2009/2010 season off after his sister died in the car accident in December 2009? After all, Duke went on to win the NCAA title that year and Dawkins was one of the key players in helping them win the title. Dawkins should have taken the rest of the season off because of the tragedy but K convinced him to play the rest of the season because he NEEDED his talents. That's the real tragedy. K only thinks about himself.

Last edited:
Let me put it another way? Should Dawkins have taken the rest of the 2009/2010 season off after his sister died in the car accident in December 2009? After all, Duke went on to win the NCAA title that year and Dawkins was one of the key players in helping them win the title. Dawkins should have taken the rest of the season off because of the tragedy but K convinced him to play the rest of the season because he NEEDED his talents. That's the real tragedy. K only thinks about himself.
Hindsight being 20/20 he should have sat out the rest of the year and grieved. However if you read the article I posted above you will see that it was Andre's decision (and I believe his father's) to focus on basketball and continue to play the rest of the season, K told him to take all the time he needed. This contributed to his issues down the road and his redshirt season. Dawkins was one of the keys to Duke winning the title that year though, that part of your post is correct and I don't believe Duke wins it all in 2010 without him.

Hindsight being 20/20 he should have sat out the rest of the year and grieved. However if you read the article I posted above you will see that it was Andre's decision (and I believe his father's) to focus on basketball and continue to play the rest of the season, K told him to take all the time he needed. This contributed to his issues down the road and his redshirt season. Dawkins was one of the keys to Duke winning the title that year though, that part of your post is correct and I don't believe Duke wins it all in 2010 without him.

Dawkins had no choice in the redshirt decision. He either had to accept the redshirt year or transfer. As I said several times above, players and their families are afraid to break the CODE. You dare not say anything negative about Duke or K will make sure that you are blackballed, especially if that player not far removed from Duke. Sad, but true.

I don't really think talking about the mental health of someone you don't know is really appropriate for this board. I'm pretty close to some people who have had and still have mental health issues. To assume you can understand and know what he has gone through without actually knowing him sounds pretty arrogant to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT