ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the next player to commit to UNC?

gauchoheel

Hall of Famer
Jul 29, 2016
It's been awhile since we had a commit -- Okonkwo was the last transfer around June and I think its been pretty much exactly a year since Ian Jackson committed. We have a lot of momentum now with how this season is shaping up.

Will it be a 2025 high school guy committing in the next few months or will we have to wait until the off-season to see another commit (probably from a transfer)?

We already have 2 good ones coming next year and maybe the biggest recruit of all, Davis, for his Covid year.
I'll be shocked if all 3 of Davis, Cadeau, and Jackson are on the team next year.

Davis is playing like a first team All American. He may never have a better shot at the NBA than this year. And the draft is kind of weak. He might be one of those 2nd rounders who impresses a team and gets a guaranteed contract.

I'm mentally preparing myself to say goodbye to Davis and Ingram. Hopefully after a National Championship.

Reactions: Agsmith9
It's been awhile since we had a commit -- Okonkwo was the last transfer around June and I think its been pretty much exactly a year since Ian Jackson committed. We have a lot of momentum now with how this season is shaping up.

Will it be a 2025 high school guy committing in the next few months or will we have to wait until the off-season to see another commit (probably from a transfer)?
Maybe a 2025 recruit committing and reclassifying to 2024?

I'll be shocked if all 3 of Davis, Cadeau, and Jackson are on the team next year.

Davis is playing like a first team All American. He may never have a better shot at the NBA than this year. And the draft is kind of weak. He might be one of those 2nd rounders who impresses a team and gets a guaranteed contract.

I'm mentally preparing myself to say goodbye to Davis and Ingram. Hopefully after a National Championship.
Agreed. This is his best shot and he will be encouraged by HD to go. The draft is very weak. An NBA team will give him a shot. Might not draft him but will give him a look.

Hopefully a top 10 player .. dook will have there incoming class of 25 completed before we get a commitment the way it looks .. fwiw

Agreed. This is his best shot and he will be encouraged by HD to go. The draft is very weak. An NBA team will give him a shot. Might not draft him but will give him a look.
I agree it is his best chance, but it is not much of a chance, a non draft invite type at best. If the NIL is large enough he may consider coming back, but we may lose a incoming guard then too. An RJ 5th year was not part of the sales pitch.

Trimble would get more of a look as a possible draft. He is younger, has a better pro build and skill set for a role with the NBA roster in a couple of years with a teams focused coaching to develop those areas. Not saying he is considering going, but a NBA team would go after Trimble before RJ.

Last edited:
I agree it is his best chance, but it is not much of a chance, a non draft invite type at best. If the NIL is large enough he may consider coming back, but we may lose a incoming guard then too. An RJ's 5th year was not part of the sales pitch.

Trimble would get more of a look as a possible draft. He is younger, has a better pro build and skill set for a role with the NBA roster in a couple of years with a teams focused coaching to develop those areas. Not saying he is considering going, but a NBA team would go after Trimble before RJ.
Just for argument sake I think those two would be tip for tap. Rjs ready now and you know what you’ve got. Seth is just now tapping into what you think he could be. I do know the league puts a lot into what they think could happen, so who knows. While I think RJ could help a team and would love it to happen, I doubt he gets a legit shot. He can put the ball in the hole and that’s a fact.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Just for argument sake I think those two would be tip for tap. Rjs ready now and you know what you’ve got. Seth is just now tapping into what you think he could be. I do know the league puts a lot into what they think could happen, so who knows. While I think RJ could help a team and would love it to happen, I doubt he gets a legit shot. He can put the ball in the hole and that’s a fact.
RJ is ready now to be All-American in college, as a vet he is playing great at this level, that does not always translate to having a NBA game. There are National Player of the Year guys in college that got looks and couldn't earn a roster spot. RJ would get a legit look, but has many uphill battles with his size, especially since he is not a point. That is the only spot he could be in the league at.

Trimble can defend, has some length, athleticism, but is a bit undersized as well for a two. The league knows they can improve shooting, he has more attributes for playing at the top level, but not a pure fit either. Every draft in every sport is always about what teams think can happen. That's the whole point to get players who will contribute in some form at the top level.

Last edited:
RJ is ready now to be All-American in college, as a vet he is playing great at this level, that does not always translate to having a NBA game. There are National Player of the Year guys in college that got looks and couldn't earn a roster spot. RJ would get a legit look, but has many uphill battles with his size, especially since he is not a point. That is the only spot he could be in the league at.

Trimble can defend, has some length, athleticism, but is a bit undersized as well for a two. The league knows they can improve shooting, he has more attributes for playing at the top level, but not a pure fit either. Every draft in every sport is always about what teams think can happen. That's the whole point to get players who will contribute in some form at the top level.
I agree and your last sentence is my point. RJ can score the ball. And I think he could play the point more in the league because most upper echelon guys on each team handle the ball in crunch time and when they want to anyway.
Make no mistake, I said before for arguments sake. lol. That’s all I’m doing.

Cadeau and Jackson will be here next season, harder call on RJ. Maybe you intended to say Ingram rather than Jackson, I would think Ingram may be the most intriguing to NBA scouts and a big wing, may need to keep his shooting % up, especially needs to get his free throw % up.

Thing with RJ is this was to be his last season, the plan did not include him using his covid year coming in to this season. His size is a NBA concern, most likely would be a NBA PG, he is scoring a lot even being under sized in college. If you can make shots the NBA will have interest and RJ does that. No doubt RK is really enjoying this season so far, is he enjoying it enough that he wants more? Fact, RJ loves being at UNC, do not be surprised at all if after he leaves that he would still settle in the area.

But if he did come back, could he show an even higher level, a major NBA concern is where is his ceiling, is he playing close to it, do they see more to develop? He simply does not fit their meterics, to small and he isn't going to get any taller. I think that keeps him as a second round selection, could sneak in late 1st round if he keep shooting so solid. I do think he leaves but would not say it is a done deal at this point. He is or is about to graduate, he recently got married, he is old for the NBA draft. He will get a NBA deal but after that first contract his future is most likely to be in Europe. Has he qualified for his jersey to be raised in the honored section yet, seems like he may have but if not that I would think is a major item for him.

Seems to be lots of momentum with Koa Peat
It seems like Peat, Wilson and Harwell are the guys we are strongest with. I wonder if Wilson and Peat are competing for the same scholarship since they play the same position. It’s hard to imagine landing both.

It seems like Peat, Wilson and Harwell are the guys we are strongest with. I wonder if Wilson and Peat are competing for the same scholarship since they play the same position. It’s hard to imagine landing both.
Don't forget Bryson Tiller, actually Tiller could be our next commit if Hubert elects to go hard for him but I suspect Hubert is slow playing him a bit because he really wants Koa Peat. I strongly suspect Wilson ends up in the SEC. I really wonder where we may stand with the Boozers after they visit us, is there any possibility the Boozers could seriously consider UNC, I doubt it, kind of feel like JMM flirting with duke just so he could enjoy being recruited. Hubert is really good when he gets a kid and his parents on campus and K is no longer on that duke side line!

Isn't Peat more of a 4 and Wilson more of a 3? Koa Peat and Jasper Johnson are the 2 I want the most, but I'm starting to trust that Hubert is pretty good at this, and the play of this year's team is likely to help, so I'm content to see where the chips fall.

Don't forget Bryson Tiller, actually Tiller could be our next commit if Hubert elects to go hard for him but I suspect Hubert is slow playing him a bit because he really wants Koa Peat. I strongly suspect Wilson ends up in the SEC. I really wonder where we may stand with the Boozers after they visit us, is there any possibility the Boozers could seriously consider UNC, I doubt it, kind of feel like JMM flirting with duke just so he could enjoy being recruited. Hubert is really good when he gets a kid and his parents on campus and K is no longer on that duke side line!

Good call, I love Bryson Tiller as well, and I did forget about him. I'd love for him and Peat to be able to coexist and I'd love to get both. Jasper Johnson is key though, I think he is going to be special. I hope Hubert goes hard after him.

Edit to add - there is ZERO chance either of the Boozer twins wind up at UNC.

Last edited:
Wilson is working to become a stretch 4 by really working hard on his jump shooting, I don't really see him as a 3 until maybe when he reaches the NBA. Peat is a bad arse 4 but he can play the 5 if he has to, he is a bit more of a mid range guy that can play back to or facing.

Good call, I love Bryson Tiller as well, and I did forget about him. I'd love for him and Peat to be able to coexist and I'd love to get both. Jasper Johnson is key though, I think he is going to be special. I hope Hubert goes hard after him.
Sell me on Jasper Johnson as a PG, I am not sold yet? I see him as more a 2 than a PG, he is 6'5" with a sweet shooting stroke but I don't know about his being a PG like we need. I buy him as a 2, not sure i buy him as a point?

Tiller for me, at least right now seems to be a bit like Deon was for us, really good mid range guy, good body to throw around but not sure he fits the stretch 4 mold Hubert loves. I think Peat is the upgrade version of Tiller by a little bit. I do know that Hubert loves what Wilson could become, that really long armed stretch 4 if his out side shooting continues to get stronger. That is why I don't think Hubert is going as hard for Tiller as he could. Just my opinion, I am not feeling great about us getting Koa Peat, I see him staying closer to the west coast, maybe Arizona/Kansas or Indiana as a dark horse. Best bet is Kao Peat to Arizona in my opinion.

Last edited:

Edit to add - there is ZERO chance either of the Boozer twins wind up at UNC.
I haven’t put too much thought into Johnson because I’m just not convinced UNC can overcome all of the obstacles to land him. His dad is a legend at UK. Being an in-state kid from Kentucky, the pressure to play at uk and his NIL opportunities will be enormous. He would have to really want to play at UNC to say no to those things.

Rain
Who's our PG if both RJ and Cadeau leave? Trimble? Do we look to the portal?

Trimble isn't handling point when Cadeau is on the bench this season. If that continues, it seems unlikely that he'd be HD's choice for next year. But could he handle it?

No matter what Seth could do at the point, what ever that may have been had he spent the last 2 years now working to be a 2-3, we would still have to portal in a PG if both Cadeau and RJ were to leave, what choice would we have? CLEARLY Hubert, who has the only opinion that counts prefers Seth at the 2-3. If EITHER RJ or Cadeau leave would think it is a near certainty we portal in a PG.

Reactions: gauchoheel
I haven’t put too much thought into Johnson because I’m just not convinced UNC can overcome all of the obstacles to land him. His dad is a legend at UK. Being an in-state kid from Kentucky, the pressure to play at uk and his NIL opportunities will be enormous. He would have to really want to play at UNC to say no to those things.

None of that changes my desire for him to come to UNC. All I'm saying is that he would be at the top of my list. I'm sure Hubert has a pulse on how this recruitment might go & I'm pulling for it to happen. If it doesn't, then I'll pull for whoever is next in line.

Sell me on Jasper Johnson as a PG, I am not sold yet? I see him as more a 2 than a PG, he is 6'5" with a sweet shooting stroke but I don't know about his being a PG like we need. I buy him as a 2, not sure i buy him as a point?

Tiller for me, at least right now seems to be a bit like Deon was for us, really good mid range guy, good body to throw around but not sure he fits the stretch 4 mold Hubert loves. I think Peat is the upgrade version of Tiller by a little bit. I do know that Hubert loves what Wilson could become, that really long armed stretch 4 if his out side shooting continues to get stronger. That is why I don't think Hubert is going as hard for Tiller as he could. Just my opinion, I am not feeling great about us getting Koa Peat, I see him staying closer to the west coast, maybe Arizona/Kansas or Indiana as a dark horse. Best bet is Kao Peat to Arizona in my opinion.

I have no interest in selling you on Johnson, you are not the person that needs to be sold. I like what I see and it's my hope that Hubert is sold on him and makes him a priority. He's a 5 star, why wouldn't you want him, no matter what position he plays? Are we that entitled that we turn away 5 stars with no baggage?

Rain

Who's our PG if both RJ and Cadeau leave? Trimble? Do we look to the portal?

Trimble isn't handling point when Cadeau is on the bench this season. If that continues, it seems unlikely that he'd be HD's choice for next year. But could he handle it?
Cadeau isn't leaving unless he turns into Chris Paul over the next 2 months.

I have no interest in selling you on Johnson, you are not the person that needs to be sold. I like what I see and it's my hope that Hubert is sold on him and makes him a priority. He's a 5 star, why wouldn't you want him, no matter what position he plays? Are we that entitled that we turn away 5 stars with no baggage?
Well excuse me, I actually thought you could discuss what you see in the kid, clearly that is not on your agenda. So don't bother, I have no interest in your view on the kid any further...

NBA wants dee if you are not a feature score at will guy. Too many skilled scorers to have someone who is a mismatch unless they are capable of 40 thierself.

RJ's only route is as a backup point. Hard road since he is not running poi t now, and could not matcup with dee at 2 at all, or at 1 with the size of NBA point men.

Scoring is not what they lean to, unless you are NBA level can't guard level. That is why Leaky is on a roster and Joel Berry, Manek, and probably RJ can't find a spot at that level.

Cadeau and Jackson will be here next season, harder call on RJ. Maybe you intended to say Ingram rather than Jackson, I would think Ingram may be the most intriguing to NBA scouts and a big wing, may need to keep his shooting % up, especially needs to get his free throw % up.

Thing with RJ is this was to be his last season, the plan did not include him using his covid year coming in to this season. His size is a NBA concern, most likely would be a NBA PG, he is scoring a lot even being under sized in college. If you can make shots the NBA will have interest and RJ does that. No doubt RK is really enjoying this season so far, is he enjoying it enough that he wants more? Fact, RJ loves being at UNC, do not be surprised at all if after he leaves that he would still settle in the area.

But if he did come back, could he show an even higher level, a major NBA concern is where is his ceiling, is he playing close to it, do they see more to develop? He simply does not fit their meterics, to small and he isn't going to get any taller. I think that keeps him as a second round selection, could sneak in late 1st round if he keep shooting so solid. I do think he leaves but would not say it is a done deal at this point. He is or is about to graduate, he recently got married, he is old for the NBA draft. He will get a NBA deal but after that first contract his future is most likely to be in Europe. Has he qualified for his jersey to be raised in the honored section yet, seems like he may have but if not that I would think is a major item for him.
I think he meant if RJ comes back Jackson will not. The sales pitch was RJ is gone 2 is open.

Reactions: gauchoheel
NBA wants dee if you are not a feature score at will guy. Too many skilled scorers to have someone who is a mismatch unless they are capable of 40 thierself.

RJ's only route is as a backup point. Hard road since he is not running poi t now, and could not matcup with dee at 2 at all, or at 1 with the size of NBA point men.

Scoring is not what they lean to, unless you are NBA level can't guard level. That is why Leaky is on a roster and Joel Berry, Manek, and probably RJ can't find a spot at that level.
While I agree with you on the defense being a priority you also know that a lot and who you see on rosters at any given time is situational. Plenty of small guys getting contracts that are comparable to RJ that can’t score as well as him. I will say he’s a tuff dude but several of those smaller guys in the league have a piss on you attitude. While I don’t want him to be a punk, I could see him embracing a role like that if needed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT