ADVERTISEMENT

Alumni game

Anyone watch?

Why do I feel like Ian Jackson and Seth Trimble go at it in practice.

Hope so.
Trimble is definitely pushing Jackson hard, and man can Jackson get his shot any time he wants it.

I was very encouraged by Cadeau's confidence in his 3pt shot. Feels like he's going to make a big leap in that area.

I was also really impressed by High's 3pt shot, particularly from the corner. But he's still a foul magnet and he even got away with a few uncalled ones he made on the freshmen (and the hard foul he put on Cadeau was unnecessary.)

All of Tyson's shots look like they are going in, even when he misses.

With Washington unable to play, it just reinforces to me how much we should be turning over every rock looking for a talented player 6'10" or taller. At this point we really ought to be trying to lure a center out of 2025 to reclassify.

Trimble is definitely pushing Jackson hard, and man can Jackson get his shot any time he wants it.

I was very encouraged by Cadeau's confidence in his 3pt shot. Feels like he's going to make a big leap in that area.

I was also really impressed by High's 3pt shot, particularly from the corner. But he's still a foul magnet and he even got away with a few uncalled ones he made on the freshmen (and the hard foul he put on Cadeau was unnecessary.)

With Washington unable to play, it just reinforces to me how much we should be turning over every rock looking for a talented player 6'10" or taller. At this point we really ought to be trying to lure a center out of 2025 to reclassify.
Wash was not unable.

Cadeau's release is still slow but that will get better over the summer with more shooting.

I want Ian Jackson to come off the bench strictky to get us buckets.

Make the game easier for him and gove us a punch off the bench.

If he starts at 3. Im good with that too. Would be hard to pressure that group.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
He was dressed out, went through the layup line, ran around and shot fine.
He didn't play in the game last summer either, and so I can only assume they're keeping him on a managed regimen, or at most a precaution for some sort of tweak.
Maybe to protect him from High 😂

That guy brings it every single play, regardless of who he's playing against (his own team included)!

That guy is still a bit "fouly"

Last edited:
LOL, so this is the time of the year where we get a small glimpse of our team and make way to much out of it, already see questions of why Jallen didn't play in this "pick up game"? LOL So let me do some of that! LOL

Just some things that struck me, first High does to me look like he has put in some good weight room work, frame is beginning to fill out some, badly needed. For a guy his length, have always felt his shooting form was not really bad, needed more to work on his shot selection. JWit, was not gonna get short changed in getting shots up, hopefully this was just because it was a pick up game because in a game that counts I don't want him pumping up so many outside of the flow.

The freshmen, Jack was not shy to take a shot at all, hit some really nice pull up jumpers and step back jumpers. over dribbled a bit to much, doubt some of that will fly vs ACC level competition bit this is summer and no practices hard to imagine UNC fans not being excited for what is to come from him. Drake I thought looked really good, I would call him scrappy strong and more athletic than you expect. Green is really raw but there is some athletism there that may be the seeds to a really nice player for us down the road, needs to dedicate to the S/C program. Thou not a freshman, I felt Tyson looked pretty good, showed he can shoot outside but also showed he get work inside the paint a little bit as well. FYI, looks to me like both Ian and Drake are 2 way players, they defend and work on the offensive end!!!

REJ seemed to take this for what it was, a summer pick up game, showed leadership ion talking to his players and teaching them when they made a mistake. Example, High gets a steal and brings the ball up himself and allows a steal that ended in a lay up, notice RJ talking to High and Ian directly after. Seth looks like he is building on last season, becoming more involved on the offensive end, looks like he has added some good bulk from the weight room while still that defensive menace. Cadeau, looks as well to have added some good weight, like that his jumpers were with no hesitation, didn't pass opens jumpers, just took them what looked like with confidence. Lubin looks solid, not a ton of WoW factor, really blue collar, winning teams need that.

When it first started, before I could get a good look at his face, I looked at #14 on the blue team and said dang who is that, he moved like Danny, didn't realize Danny was there, then got a good look at his face and it was Danny, he has been rehabbing from an injury. Best individual move I saw was Seth defending Jack, Jack taking him baseline for a step back jumper and nailed it, you get that shot off with Seth defending you get that shot off against most anybody.

Current players vs Alumni team played today. Alumni teams only big men were Luke Maye and Brady Manek. Doesn't look like the current bigs did much despite having the size advantage (Withers started the game versus Justin Jackson.)

On the plus side our guards look phenomenal, and Jackson/Powell looked great.

Ian appears to be as advertised. I’d be shocked if he isn’t starting by mid-season, maybe even earlier.
I am not so sure I see Ian starting next season, getting good minutes for sure but starting? He isn't starting at the 1 or 2 unless injury strikes and I think Tyson gives us to much bail out jump shooting to not start, what this team really needs with RJ and Cadeau and gives us really good size for the position.

I still assume the starters will be:
EC, RJ, Tyson, Lubin, and JWash. I can see JWit, Cap, and Seth at various times either playing their way in or being used situationally! (BTW: EC, RJ, & JWash are locks!)This is an excellent problem to have in June! The great news is there is plenty of iron around to sharpen each other and Hubs can wait to see how it plays out in practice + pre-season! (High and Drake create an excellent 10 deep roster!) Imagine if JB develops faster than anticipated!

I am not so sure I see Ian starting next season, getting good minutes for sure but starting? He isn't starting at the 1 or 2 unless injury strikes and I think Tyson gives us to much bail out jump shooting to not start, what this team really needs with RJ and Cadeau and gives us really good size for the position.
I think HD will roll with a 3 guard lineup that includes Ian. It may not happen game 1, but I bet it evolves into that. Tyson won’t be able to keep Ian on the bench long term.

Reactions: dtodd4475
I think HD will roll with a 3 guard lineup that includes Ian. It may not happen game 1, but I bet it evolves into that. Tyson won’t be able to keep Ian on the bench long term.
How that shakes out will be very interesting. I think Tyson better show some real chops playing dee to hold off Ian's minutes there. If Ian shoots the 3 at 32 to 35% I think it is mostly a moot point, Cap brings so much more in other areas.

Practice and pre conference battles for PT will be very interesting in a number of ways.

How that shakes out will be very interesting. I think Tyson better show some real chops playing dee to hold off Ian's minutes there. If Ian shoots the 3 at 32 to 35% I think it is mostly a moot point, Cap brings so much more in other areas.

Practice and pre conference battles for PT will be very interesting in a number of ways.
I think the majority of Tyson's minutes will come at the stretch 4 spot.

Reactions: dtodd4475

I also think ian may get pt from just boneheaded stuff like last year. Stupid fouls and also not being able to throw the ball in the ocean. Everyone better bring their a game and I like it.

Looks like backcourt and wing depth will be very good this coming season. I just hope Hubert trusts them enough to run, run and when they're done running, run some more.

Looks like backcourt and wing depth will be very good this coming season. I just hope Hubert trusts them enough to run, run and when they're done running, run some more.
I'd add to that, "recover, recover, recover." That transition D vs. Bama did not look good. Or rather, didn't look good vs a team whose bread and butter is transition. Before they can run run run, they need to get momentum-changing stops to fuel those runs. Enter-in those traps that @DaveChapelle referred to.

Reactions: Ozheelfan
The only way Jackson starts over Tyson (assuming both are healthy and Tyson doesn't shoot 30% from 3) is if Jackson turns out to be a plus 3PT shooter. Like 35% plus. Tyson might be the best pure shooter in the country. I don't know of any team that has the luxury of bringing in the best shooter on their team, let alone of the best in the country, off the bench.

That would be borderline coaching malpractice. Similar to Calipari starting DJ Wagner over Reed Sheppard last year.

Jackson especially cannot start over Tyson if he's a developmental perimeter shooter. The likelihood then is you'd have a developmental shooter in Cadeau. Jackson, and a likely low-volume 3PT shooting front court. Maybe you can start Jackson and Tyson together. That's what I think can eventually happen.

It's also been a minute since UNC has had a true scoring spark off the bench. I don't remember the last time UNC had a guard who had scoring explosiveness off the bench. It may have been PJ Hairston and Reggie Bullock. And those 2 probably should've started over the guys they were behind in the rotation. Other than that, it was Danny Green, who again probably should've been starting ahead of Marcus Ginyard as a junior.

The only way Jackson starts over Tyson (assuming both are healthy and Tyson doesn't shoot 30% from 3) is if Jackson turns out to be a plus 3PT shooter. Like 35% plus. Tyson might be the best pure shooter in the country. I don't know of any team that has the luxury of bringing in the best shooter on their team, let alone of the best in the country, off the bench.

That would be borderline coaching malpractice. Similar to Calipari starting DJ Wagner over Reed Sheppard last year.

Jackson especially cannot start over Tyson if he's a developmental perimeter shooter. The likelihood then is you'd have a developmental shooter in Cadeau. Jackson, and a likely low-volume 3PT shooting front court. Maybe you can start Jackson and Tyson together. That's what I think can eventually happen.

It's also been a minute since UNC has had a true scoring spark off the bench. I don't remember the last time UNC had a guard who had scoring explosiveness off the bench. It may have been PJ Hairston and Reggie Bullock. And those 2 probably should've started over the guys they were behind in the rotation. Other than that, it was Danny Green, who again probably should've been starting ahead of Marcus Ginyard as a junior.
Do you see them as playing together with Tyson as a small stretch 4 for a good chunk of that time? I think if Cadeau improves as most hope/expect, and earns big minutes, well RJ ain't sitting much, where does Ian's minutes come from? With Seth/Drake in the mix on top of that, not playing Ian substantial minutes might be seen as coaching malpractice as well if he is ready, especially to future recruits with NBA aspirations.

The DJ Wagner/Reed Sheppard comp is a bit different in my opinion. Both were plus athletes who can create for theirself or others. Just curious, do you see Tyson as being either a solid to plus defender similar to Cormac's role last year, or having the ability to create similar to Sheppard/Ian on top of his 3 ball talent? If so I agree big minutes, has to be in, as knock down shooter is a huge need for this roster, if not, and he is just the keep them honest dead eye threat skill alone, then I think he plays that role in spurts.

I believe there is a common solution for both these playing time questions for our guards as well as a lingering concern for our front court's production, ramp the tempo up on BOTH ends of the court! See, when we talk about pushing the pace it seems to always be a discussion of our offensive approach. Yet we see that push the tempo effort begin to wane and we yet again find ourselves in another half court dog fight? Yet how is this a surprise when we had RJ and Bacot playing the majority of the 40mins, Ingram playing huge minutes, Ryan as well? You are not going to be able to sustain a consistent high pace with guys playing nearly all the 40mins. THINK about it, Jalen averaged less than 8mins a game, JWit averaged what 12mins a game and Seth was what 16-18mins a game?

And now we are asking, how can we get guys like Seth, Ian, Drake the minutes we want to see from them, how can we be a more aggressive defensive team that allows us to get stops rather than maybe matching baskets? The clear and obvious answer to that is that you ramp up the defensive pressure, you challenge everything , you defensively attack full court, does not mean full court traps every pocession but you don't allow any guard to easlily bring the ball up court, you switch between token and hard press, you try to get the bal out of the PG's hands as quicky as you can, you make him have to worry about just getting past half court, you switch in the traps using the side lines and half court line... AND MOST OF ALL YOU DO THAT USING A STRONG DEEP BENCH KEEPING FRESH LEGS ON THE FLOOR!!! yOU GET IN TO THE OPPOSING TEAMS LEGS, YOU TIRE THEIR BIGGER STARS LEGS AND YOU KEEP POUNDING THEM IN TO DUST! You then grab rebounds and run, you force steals and run, when you get in to their legs you get in to their heads!

And there is your solution for playing time for guys like Seth, Ian, and Drake but a guy like High as well, that is where you can get a guy like Tyson some minutes at the 4, when the other teams 4 is breathing hard. Tired legs from your opponents means those jump shots fall short, they are not as able to recover back out to a spot up shooter, they grab rather than move their feet resulting in fouls, you force their star players to the bench and the opponents have to play guys that are not used to big minutes, and you can withstand foul trouble or God forbid injuries that always pop up. Maybe as important as any other aspect is that getting solid minutes for your guys coming off the bench makes for a happy locker room and thus improved over all team chemistry. It gives the players what they want, it gives the fans what they want and it pays rewards way down the road in both high school as well as portal recruiting. It gives our front court a HUGE boost by not having to play as much half court defense that we could be at a size dis-advantage in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT