ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Staples: Hot Names and Hot Seats

FSU is not going to fire Taggart after 1 season, but this is funny: FSU prof reading chick lit during blowout loss to Clemson.

FSU is 4-4, with games at Moo and ND, and home games vs. BC and Florida. Anybody think we could see a 4-8 FSU team?

Jimbo left that program in a mess. He seemed to have checked out mentally and emotionally a year before he took the Aggie offer.

He probably knew he was going to be getting an absolutely stupid amount of guaranteed money from A&M well before the deal went public.

I’m just baffled by the folks that think we can land a big name coach and pull them away from a perennial top 25 school with where we are currently. It’s not going to happen guys as much as we all wish it would. We have to be realistic about our prospects here.

I’m just baffled by the folks that think we can land a big name coach and pull them away from a perennial top 25 school with where we are currently. It’s not going to happen guys as much as we all wish it would. We have to be realistic about our prospects here.
You are correct: we will not be able to pull a winning coach from such a program. We might be able to land a 'retired' former top coach. We might be able to land a top P5 coordinator. And we certainly can land a bigger winning Group of 5 HC.

Anyone think we would hire Mack again, or would he demand too much money? He might be a good stopgap coach, one who could coach for 5 years and get our program reestablished again. Then we might entice a top tier coach to come.

Anyone think we would hire Mack again, or would he demand too much money? He might be a good stopgap coach, one who could coach for 5 years and get our program reestablished again. Then we might entice a top tier coach to come.
He's 67. No way he comes back for any amount of money. His TV paycheck is enough at his age. I want him on a search committee though.

He's 67. No way he comes back for any amount of money. His TV paycheck is enough at his age. I want him on a search committee though.
This.

Mack is a terrible idea unless he just did us a charity case and coached for 2 years. Even then it’s probably a bad idea.

I don’t know if Mac would be a terrible choice, but I think I agree that he’s probably not the answer. Also agree it would be hard to draw him away from the high salary job he has right now. But I’ve seen a lot of scuttlebutt that says he and Butch Davis might both be interested in taking the job, so I thought I’d throw it out there and see what people think.

I don’t know if Mac would be a terrible choice, but I think I agree that he’s probably not the answer. Also agree it would be hard to draw him away from the high salary job he has right now. But I’ve seen a lot of scuttlebutt that says he and Butch Davis might both be interested in taking the job, so I thought I’d throw it out there and see what people think.
I would have zero problem with hiring Davis. I was in the camp that didn't want him fired, although I understood the reason he was. The way we handled it was absolute BS though. All that being said, any of the posters on this board has a better chance of being named coach.

I would have zero problem with hiring Davis. I was in the camp that didn't want him fired, although I understood the reason he was. The way we handled it was absolute BS though. All that being said, any of the posters on this board has a better chance of being named coach.
I agree with everything you said.

His age would be the only question for me. If he came back, I just wonder how long he would stay here. Now, if he could get the recruiting back on track and then hire a good assistant who could then take over when Butch retires, then we may something.

word is jbo and his staff pretty much quit coaching the team in September and stopped recruiting around July so FSU is a yr behind in development now. Us Jimbo never punished one kid when clearly a hard line approach was needed. Texas a&m fans were saying for nine months before he got there that they hired Jimbo that man left FSU in shambles out of spite, and that's a real shame...

I would take Butch back in a heart beat. He would have made us into a top 15 program each and every year. At this point we would be pissed that he had not won a natty...... What a wonderful problem to have 9 and 10 wins each year and not be satisfied.

I do agree that Mack should be on the committee to find a new coach. If he was 5 years younger he would be a great pick.

I would take Butch back in a heart beat. He would have made us into a top 15 program each and every year. At this point we would be pissed that he had not won a natty...... What a wonderful problem to have 9 and 10 wins each year and not be satisfied.

I do agree that Mack should be on the committee to find a new coach. If he was 5 years younger he would be a great pick.
Butch and Mack are only a year apart in age.

And Butch is 66
Wow. I always thought Butch was about 5 years younger.

If Mack was motivated to coach again, I would be ok with him returning, BUT ONLY IF he came in with good assistants and a plan for one of them as a coach-in-waiting. I know that is far fetched but I feel like he could get us back on the right path .... hopefully

Age is a highly individualistic variable. We cant just talk about how old a prospective coach is, without accounting for how well they have aged and what kind of shape they are in. Not all 66 year olds should be considered equal. Butch is clearly in much better shape than the average man his age.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT