ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance recruits see games like this and are more likely to go to UNC?

imajericho

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Pittsburgh
While it looks terrible, is there a possibility recruits look at it and see possibilities of starting or major minutes?

Like, does this hurt or help us with Jaylen Brown, for example?

If I was not a huge UNC fan. I would not come play for this dumpster fire of a program. This is where 5 stars come if they want to spend most of their first year struggling. Trying to learn a system that is broken and no longer works with the style of play most want to play in.

if Roy doesn't hit the inner city kids...get used to this brand of unc basketball!!...Baltimore,Chicago,Philly,NY has got to be explored...these Midwest and private school kids don't play the same competition and don't have the same toughness..check the areas of all the past successful teams of where these kids come from and I think everyone will agree..or should agree!!

To me, there are a few flaws with how people think UNC is perceived.

The biggest brand surrounding UNC is Michael Jordan bar none. That was probably a mega recruiting advantage in the 90's and 00's... But we're now in an era where recruits were born after MJ retired. Now, players looks up to: Kobe, LeBron.... Guys that didn't or stayed a max of 1 year in college.

So the MJ brand might have gone away. So let's look at UNC guys currently in the NBA

Harrison Barnes
Reggie Bullock
Vince Carter
Ed Davis
Wayne Ellington
Ray Felton
Danny Green
PJ Hairston
Tyler Hansbrough
Brendon Haywood
John Henson
Ty Lawson
James McAdoo
Travis Wear
Marvin Williams
Brendan Wright
Tyler Zeller

I bolded Carter since he is the only active all star if I'm not mistaken but he's old.

So who in their prime that went to UNC is a great NBA player? None. Lawson is solid. Barnes will probably become a very good player. But there is no current player in the NBA that carries the UNC brand. That really hurts in recruiting.

What we desperately need is a guy who will be a 1-and-done and be a stud from day 1 in the NBA.

There are things Roy needs to get better at. He needs to recruit guys that can shoot 3's. He needs to eventually get a big guy that can stretch the floor.

But, IMO, the biggest problem to our recruiting is we don't have any brand in the NBA right now.

Originally posted by Bur-Heel:

if Roy doesn't hit the inner city kids...get used to this brand of unc basketball!!...Baltimore,Chicago,Philly,NY has got to be explored...these Midwest and private school kids don't play the same competition and don't have the same toughness..check the areas of all the past successful teams of where these kids come from and I think everyone will agree..or should agree!!
Where was Psycho T from?

Jaylen Brown and/or Brandon Ingram watching this game should come to the conclusion that they would be the go to guy next year on this team.

this team needs a scorer...paige ain't it, maybe a robin to a batman.

you guys figure out who the best scorer is in hs and why he might not be a tar heel...ask yourself this, does roy's system now allow the best scorer to exceed?...just because you are a volume possession team doesn't mean you are getting the maximum talent out of your athletes.

10 years ago jp was jackie and ginyard...now he's just a guy.

those teams had elite scorers/players...this team has paige.

Originally posted by SJung851:
To me, there are a few flaws with how people think UNC is perceived.

The biggest brand surrounding UNC is Michael Jordan bar none. That was probably a mega recruiting advantage in the 90's and 00's... But we're now in an era where recruits were born after MJ retired. Now, players looks up to: Kobe, LeBron.... Guys that didn't or stayed a max of 1 year in college.

So the MJ brand might have gone away. So let's look at UNC guys currently in the NBA

Harrison Barnes
Reggie Bullock
Vince Carter
Ed Davis
Wayne Ellington
Ray Felton
Danny Green
PJ Hairston
Tyler Hansbrough
Brendon Haywood
John Henson
Ty Lawson
James McAdoo
Travis Wear
Marvin Williams
Brendan Wright
Tyler Zeller

I bolded Carter since he is the only active all star if I'm not mistaken but he's old.

So who in their prime that went to UNC is a great NBA player? None. Lawson is solid. Barnes will probably become a very good player. But there is no current player in the NBA that carries the UNC brand. That really hurts in recruiting.

What we desperately need is a guy who will be a 1-and-done and be a stud from day 1 in the NBA.

There are things Roy needs to get better at. He needs to recruit guys that can shoot 3's. He needs to eventually get a big guy that can stretch the floor.

But, IMO, the biggest problem to our recruiting is we don't have any brand in the NBA right now.
Lawson is better than solid and Barnes is already pretty good but there is no doubt some validity there. UNC needs some NBA flavor. Duke had Jabari and he kept them on everyone's tongue all year long. KU had Wiggins. UK has guys every year. We need someone soon like that. Brown could possibly be that guy but the hype on him isn't huge and he isn't coming here anyway. Giles is the next possibly guy like that that we could get.

Originally posted by imajericho:
While it looks terrible, is there a possibility recruits look at it and see possibilities of starting or major minutes?

Like, does this hurt or help us with Jaylen Brown, for example?
Florida State football fans were asking the same basic questions about Noles recruiting during Bowden's final 4-6 years. In some cases, the FSU failures then did help land a recruit who would start for 3 or 4 years. But FSU began losing all kinds of top recruits to schools like Florida, Georgia, Aalabama, Auburn, LSU, in large part becsause recruits and/or their HS coaches and/or dads could compare FSU in the 1990s to FSU from 2001/20002 onward and see a sharp decline.

The current UNC team is loaded with former HS talent. The only team in the ACC with more former HS talent than us is that team in Durham. UVA and ND are nearly talentless compared to UNC. I doubt that on those 2 tams combined there are even 2 guys who as seniors in high school would have been sated high enough so that if Roy had signed them the majority of this board would have been happy about it.

We are not developing and wisely using the talent we have. And Roy and his staff are failing to sign people who can help the team overcome its two most glaring weaknesses: 3 point shooting and defending against the 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT