ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone going to any concerts?

Kool and the Gang is my favorite band from the 80's by far. Ive seen them several times in concert. My first time was in 1984. Joanna and Tonite were the big hits from that time. Absolutely great. The Bar Kays and Evenlyn "Champaign" King opened for them. Thats when they had JT as their lead singer. The BarKays were great...very theatrical on stage. Evelyn King was good as well.

Last saw them in Raleigh about 8 years ago and they were terrible. Played most of their very, very old stuff from the late 60's and 70's. Was not happy with them but I did get to Morris Day and the Time. They were great.

Reactions: bluetoe
Kool and the Gang is my favorite band from the 80's by far. Ive seen them several times in concert. My first time was in 1984. Joanna and Tonite were the big hits from that time. Absolutely great. The Bar Kays and Evenlyn "Champaign" King opened for them. Thats when they had JT as their lead singer. The BarKays were great...very theatrical on stage. Evelyn King was good as well.

Last saw them in Raleigh about 8 years ago and they were terrible. Played most of their very, very old stuff from the late 60's and 70's. Was not happy with them but I did get to Morris Day and the Time. They were great.
Yeah, before Van Halen I felt like we might as well have been watching Liquid Pleasure do those songs. Some of these cover bands are better than the original artists (ie Yacht Rock Revue)

Yeah, before Van Halen I felt like we might as well have been watching Liquid Pleasure do those songs. Some of these cover bands are better than the original artists (ie Yacht Rock Revue)
There's a tribute band here in Pensacola, The White Tie Rock Ensemble, that is unbelievable! They did a show Saturday, covering Foreigner, Boston, Van Halen, Styx and Journey, sounded just like the real deals! They've done everything from The Beatles to Zepplin, and always an amazing recreation!

Reactions: JimmyNaismith
Both underrated.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. Nas and the Wu are two of the most influential and celebrated artists in hip hop history. In fact, outside of Biggie, Tupac and Dre, and maybe Jay, I'm not sure you could find any artists that are more celebrated.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. Nas and the Wu are two of the most influential and celebrated artists in hip hop history. In fact, outside of Biggie, Tupac and Dre, and maybe Jay, I'm not sure you could find any artists that are more celebrated.
I was thinking that too, but because I'm not a huge fan of that music I wasn't sure. I know that Wu Tang has provided some of what little I do like.

Wu Tang power rankings:

Method Man
RZA
GZA
Raekwon
Ghostface
Inspectah
Old Dirty
U-God
Masta Killa
Cappadonna

Wu Tang power rankings:

Method Man
RZA
GZA
Raekwon
Ghostface
Inspectah
Old Dirty
U-God
Masta Killa
Cappadonna

I want to argue.

Meth is kind of a clown. And a sellout. He did have a few good jams but I lost a ton of respect for him. Redman is the same animal (although a far better lyricist than Meth) and I was a huge fan until those jokers came out with a painfully awful sitcom.

RZA should be #1 on anyone's Wu power rankings as he is the creator of it all. He's the guy with the brains and he was generous enough to include all those other guys.

I also have GZA and Raekwon high on the list just because I think they're the best lyricists of them all. Deck and Ghostface probably have the best flows. And ODB was more of a mascot than anything else.

I want to argue.

Meth is kind of a clown. And a sellout. He did have a few good jams but I lost a ton of respect for him. Redman is the same animal (although a far better lyricist than Meth) and I was a huge fan until those jokers came out with a painfully awful sitcom.

RZA should be #1 on anyone's Wu power rankings as he is the creator of it all. He's the guy with the brains and he was generous enough to include all those other guys.

I also have GZA and Raekwon high on the list just because I think they're the best lyricists of them all. Deck and Ghostface probably have the best flows. And ODB was more of a mascot than anything else.
I understand the Method Man argument, I just don’t agree with it. I think he’s phenomenal…voice, delivery, commercial appeal. He comes on a Wu song and the thing goes up a level. Loved Tical and then he decided to make an ass load of money, I won’t hate him for that.

That said, I also understand the RZA argument and wouldn’t fault anyone for putting him 1 for the reason you listed.

Agree on ODB, thought his solo stuff was actually better than his Wu contribution.

I want to argue.

Obviously ODB wasn't there, but his son has taken his place on tour. Did pretty good as a stand in, but obviously could never replace his dad.

Reactions: dadika13
Obviously ODB wasn't there, but his son has taken his place on tour. Did pretty good as a stand in, but obviously could never replace his dad.
It's so hit or miss with that I've found.

Phil Collins kid was awesome, Glenn Fry's was awful. Taylor Hawkins kid playing drums for that show was awesome, not sure how he'd be on the grind of a Foo Fighters tour had they decided to do that. Obviously Wu-Tang has a ton of other guys to take the spotlight away from one person not being there so it's a bit different.

My general feeling is that rock stars are rock stars and they've spent the 10,000 hours perfecting how to entertain a huge crowd. You can't just put their kids or decent session musicians up there and expect them to do the same because their parent did or because they can play the song well.

Eagles without Fry was a let down. Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey sucked. I'm sure Blink 182 isn't nearly as good without Tom. I think I'm done going to shows where you're missing a major piece of the band.

I guess it would also depend on how old the child is and how many hours they themselves have put towards their craft. Because Jason Bonham was a tremendous stand-in for his dad. Almost seamless.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I guess it would also depend on how old the child is and how many hours they themselves have put towards their craft. Because Jason Bonham was a tremendous stand-in for his dad. Almost seamless.
That's probably why Phil's son did such a good job like @dadika13 mentioned. He already had a band and had been playing drums his whole life. You're never going to replace Phil, but his son was more than capable.

Oh man, Breaking Benjamin is on my list. Let me know how they were.
Second time I've seen them. They were just blowing up the first time I saw them. It was Hinder/Breaking Benjamin/Three Days Grace/Staind the first time. They put on a solid show then.

Earth Wind and Fire Saturday night at the Crown Theatre in Fayetteville.

Looking forward to seeing them again.

I was up to get U2 tickets for the new 17.5k seat Sphere in Las Vegas this fall. Tickets are $1000 (3rd level) -$1500 (lowest level) each.

U2 put on 2 of the best 5 concerts I’ve ever seen, but $1000+ for garden variety tickets is just absurd.

Aerosmith has announced their first retirement tour.
I saw that. It's crazy how long some bands stick it out. 53 years is crazy.
My parents were in highschool. I now have grandkids who has most likely at least heard of them (guitar hero most likely source)
On a side note, I have a 19 year old kid who works for me. Asked him what music he listened to. He said classic rock. I mentioned a few classic bands such as Aerosmith, Floyd, CCR, ect
Said he wasn't familiar with them. I asked him to name some bands. It was all late 90's and mid 2000 bands. I lol'ed him, then felt old

I saw that. It's crazy how long some bands stick it out. 53 years is crazy.
My parents were in highschool. I now have grandkids who has most likely at least heard of them (guitar hero most likely source)
On a side note, I have a 19 year old kid who works for me. Asked him what music he listened to. He said classic rock. I mentioned a few classic bands such as Aerosmith, Floyd, CCR, ect
Said he wasn't familiar with them. I asked him to name some bands. It was all late 90's and mid 2000 bands. I lol'ed him, then felt old
Yeah, I knew I was starting to get a little older when the classic rock stations started playing bands like Soundgarden and Nirvana.

Reactions: Grayhead
Just got some tickets to see LL Cool J in July.
Me too, brother! I I cant wait for that! Especially Rakim. In my book, he is the greatest lyricist ever. Rarely does he curse and damn or hell is the worst you'll hear from him.

There are a ton of concerts coming this summer and fall. I bought a season pass to Walnut creek for 200 bucks. It will come into great use.

I saw Boys II Men a month ago in Fayetteville. They were good but a very short show. They weren't on the stage for more than 50 minutes.

Last month, I went to Colorado for about a week. Went to 2 concerts out there on thee same day. So, Static X is on tour with Fear Factory and Dope. Twiztid opened for them at a small club. They played at 630 at the Static X show then went to another small club and performed a full at set at 10 with ABK and Blaze your Dead Homie. That was a great time.

On the 23d of last month, I saw New Edition, Keith Sweat, and Guy. Damn great show but Michael Bivins from NE was sick so he didn't perform. Nevertheless, they were fantastic.

Going to see the Beach Boys on the 23rd of this month.

TLC, EnVogue, and Shaggy on June 7.

Morris Day and the Time on June 23rd

Snoop, Warren G, Too Short in Raleigh on August 6

George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic on Aug 9 at the Ritz.

Hahaha. Are these AARP sponsored events?

Morris Day and The Time! I’d love to see them. I’ve seen P-Funk a couple times. Jesus…how old is George Clinton?

That list above reads like your message was poasted in 1991. I’m not hatin though. Loved a lot of those artists back in the day.

Morris Day and The Time! I’d love to see them.
have they ever done anything worthwhile other than that tune they are famous for from whatever movie it was in? I like that, I have to say, but I wouldn't go to a concert to see just it.

oh we oh we oh

have they ever done anything worthwhile other than that tune they are famous for from whatever movie it was in? I like that, I have to say, but I wouldn't go to a concert to see just it.

oh we oh we oh

From Purple Rain, they did have a few great songs n that movie but I liked them since 1981. The first time I heard of them was when they released a song called The Walk, and the 777-9311 came out and that song was the shit. Most awesome bassline.

From Purple Rain, they did have a few great songs n that movie but I liked them since 1981. The first time I heard of them was when they released a song called The Walk, and the 777-9311 came out and that song was the shit. Most awesome bassline.
it's all about the bass. I'll check those out, thanks.

oh we oh we oh

Can't forget about The Bird!

I don't know too many of their songs by name. But they were the epitome of funk/RB of the 80s along with the Gap Band. Colorful group for sure. I bet their shows are pretty damn entertaining.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT