ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone going to any concerts?

Just saw an article about Pearl Jam tickets somewhere costing $750-900 (face value) when they went on sale last Friday.

That's insane to pay those prices
I don't keep up with that kind of stuff very much at all, so pardon my ignorance in asking this...but are these bands trying to make up for lost revenue in album sales? I don't know how that works any more.

If I wanted to see Pearl Jam or any other performer bad enough, I could afford it. But just on principle I would never shell out that kind of money unless I was included in the afterparty; and it better be a damn good party.

Just saw an article about Pearl Jam tickets somewhere costing $750-900 (face value) when they went on sale last Friday.
I'm sure there are some VIP seats/experiences that high but in three clicks you can pull up their tour and see that there are tickets available under $200 including the fees. That's still pricey, don't get me wrong, but they do put on a great show, and never the same show twice.

Reactions: JimmyNaismith
If I'm paying over $100, there has to be at least two bands playing that I like or it has to be some kind of festival type thing. Only exceptions I make are for bands that I think will actually be on their farewell tour or it's a band that I've wanted to see for a long time, but have never had a chance. Most of the concerts I go to now are outdoors, so there will always be some cheaper lawn seats if the actual seats are expensive.

I don't keep up with that kind of stuff very much at all, so pardon my ignorance in asking this...but are these bands trying to make up for lost revenue in album sales? I don't know how that works any more.

If I wanted to see Pearl Jam or any other performer bad enough, I could afford it. But just on principle I would never shell out that kind of money unless I was included in the afterparty; and it better be a damn good party.
Affording it and shelling out that kind of dough for it is crazy. There will be some middle aged beer belly still living with mom men who will empty their life savings of stored change to go see them.

Seriously though, it's a capitalist market with any live performance. Some sell cheap for a check and some feel they are worth it.
But 2k for 2 tickets and a hotel/food is a very expensive evening to go watch a band in the middle of a mid life crisis

Affording it and shelling out that kind of dough for it is crazy. There will be some middle aged beer belly still living with mom men who will empty their life savings of stored change to go see them.

Seriously though, it's a capitalist market with any live performance. Some sell cheap for a check and some feel they are worth it.
But 2k for 2 tickets and a hotel/food is a very expensive evening to go watch a band in the middle of a mid life crisis
no, you're absolutely right, no kidding. Of course there will be those who spend obscene money they need more for essentials to see Pearl Jam or that pop music twig whose name isn't coming to mind. It wouldn't bother me at all that they do except we help underwrite the irresponsibility.

And I'm not opposed to any group charging a million bucks as long as I have the right and the ability to say GTFO.

Reactions: Grayhead
Fiddy just announced that he's touring this year with Busta Rhymes supporting in some cities.

I've been to ~225 concerts over the years, and I have to say that one of the best bands I've ever seen is Yacht Rock Revue. I strongly recommend seeing them when they come to your area.

Here they are from Saturday night in Raleigh doing Fleetwood Mac's best song, "The Chain". Un-freakin-REAL

I've been to ~225 concerts over the years, and I have to say that one of the best bands I've ever seen is Yacht Rock Revue. I strongly recommend seeing them when they come to your area.

Here they are from Saturday night in Raleigh doing Fleetwood Mac's best song, "The Chain". Un-freakin-REAL

I think I followed them for a time on social media. Are you in California? Because I thought they were west coast based and never came east. But I could be thinking of Yachty By Nature, another yacht rock cover band.

I can't bring myself to pay to see a cover band. I can go to plenty of bars and here a decent cover band for free.

I think I followed them for a time on social media. Are you in California? Because I thought they were west coast based and never came east. But I could be thinking of Yachty By Nature, another yacht rock cover band.
YRR is out of Atlanta. Greg, the bass player, used to live with Rick Beato back in the ‘90s.

My plans for the year (a couple were solely my wife's pick):

LL Cool J/Rakim/Juvenile/De La Soul

Sam Hunt/Brett Young/Lily Rose

Snoop Dogg/Wiz Khalifa/Too $hort

Zac Brown Band/Tenille Townes/King Calaway

Disturbed/Breaking Benjamín/Jinjer

50 Cent/Busta Rhymes

Godsmack/Staind

This coming Wednesday is TLC, En Vogue, Shaggy, and Sean Kingston at Walnut Creek in Raleigh. I'll be there as well.

My plans for the year (a couple were solely my wife's pick):

LL Cool J/Rakim/Juvenile/De La Soul

Sam Hunt/Brett Young/Lily Rose

Snoop Dogg/Wiz Khalifa/Too $hort

Zac Brown Band/Tenille Townes/King Calaway

Disturbed/Breaking Benjamín/Jinjer

50 Cent/Busta Rhymes

Godsmack/Staind
of all these I've only seen Zac Brown, and it was a good one.

of all these I've only seen Zac Brown, and it was a good one.
I'm not a country person, but I had to see him last year because of the wife. She's a country fan, so it was obviously a must see for her. Turned out to be a really good one that I enjoyed. Probably going to end up giving my ticket this year to her sister, though. I'm not really the type to see a band in back to back years.

ETA: That being said, I actually saw Staind last year, so I guess I'm breaking my rule. Wasn't really done on purpose. I bought the ticket to see Godsmack and Staind just happened to be the opener.

Reactions: bluetoe
I'm not a country person, but I had to see him last year because of the wife. She's a country fan, so it was obviously a must see for her. Turned out to be a really good one that I enjoyed. Probably going to end up giving my ticket this year to her sister, though. I'm not really the type to see a band in back to back years.

ETA: That being said, I actually saw Staind last year, so I guess I'm breaking my rule. Wasn't really done on purpose. I bought the ticket to see Godsmack and Staind just happened to be the opener.
I'm the same way, especially if I really liked the performance because I figure the law of averages will dictate the next performance to suffer in comparison. Plus repetition is boring. Let some time go by and you have less chance of being disappointed. Exception to the rule, I think I'd go see Delbert McClinton (and maybe one or two others) every night for the rest of my life.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I was there as well. Im not a Godsmack fan but they were excellent. I really like Staind. Aaron Lewis has an awesome voice.
Were you the drunk guy that fell on me? Godsmack was my main reason to go. Haven't seen them since they opened for Black Sabbath in the 90s, so figured it was time to see them again. I love Staind, but I've seen them a lot. Seems like everytime I see a band that's considered alt rock, they are the opening act. At least this time they were able to play a couple of new songs since they have a new album coming out. And who expected Mix Master Mike to open it up? Didn't see that one coming.

Reactions: chickenhunter
This week has been and will continue to be a great concert week.

Sunday-Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalifa, Too Short, Warren G Only went in for Snoop. Place was packed. Great show.
Tuesday-Loverboy and Foreigner. Fantastic performance by both bands. Reno can still hit those high notes pretty damn good for a 68 year old.
Tonite- George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic at The Ritz. Looking forward to it.
Friday- Jason Aldean. Letting a friends daughter use my pass to go in. I aint interested, just going for the tailgating.
Tuesday 15th- 50 Cent with Busta Rhymes
Saturday 19th in Wilmington- Big Daddy Kane, Slick Rick, Doug E Fresh, Rakim, KRS-ONE

Sunday-Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalifa, Too Short, Warren G Only went in for Snoop. Place was packed. Great show.
Tuesday-Loverboy and Foreigner. Fantastic performance by both bands. Reno can still hit those high notes pretty damn good for a 68 year old.
Tonite- George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic at The Ritz. Looking forward to it.
Friday- Jason Aldean. Letting a friends daughter use my pass to go in. I aint interested, just going for the tailgating.
Saturday 19th in Wilmington- Big Daddy Kane, Slick Rick, Doug E Fresh, Rakim, KRS-ONE
glad you're into it and having fun.

I'll be at the fiddy show.

So my niece took her sister’s daughter to see Taylor Swift in Inglewood, CA. Niece tends to brag about her
spending levels. Three tix cost 2K a pop, plus airfare from NY and hotel room = 8K total.
At a picnic on Sunday, the 11 year-old daughter and l talked about the show.
She said, “lt was alright, l guess, but l really don’t like her music. I’m definitely not a Swiftie.”
Later, l bought her a Mountain Dew snowcone and she says, “Thanks, that’s the best thing that’s happened
to me all summer.”
🤫 Don’t tell the niece.

Reactions: tarheelinfl
So my niece took her sister’s daughter to see Taylor Swift in Inglewood, CA. Niece tends to brag about her
spending levels. Three tix cost 2K a pop, plus airfare from NY and hotel room = 8K total.
At a picnic on Sunday, the 11 year-old daughter and l talked about the show.
She said, “lt was alright, l guess, but l really don’t like her music. I’m definitely not a Swiftie.”
Later, l bought her a Mountain Dew snowcone and she says, “Thanks, that’s the best thing that’s happened
to me all summer.”
🤫 Don’t tell the niece.
Zero chance I would spend that much for something like that. I kinda feel like you should slap your niece for spending that much and slap the 11 year old for sounding ungrateful.

Dude, I didnt even go out there. I was not about to be in the rain and storm. Did they end up having the show or postponed?
Had the show and I stayed. Doors didn't open until around seven and it was around 8:30 when I got in. It stopped raining when I was in line and didn't start raining again until around 10:15. But it was a light rain and only lasted about 5 minutes.

Reactions: chickenhunter
Of course we wouldn’t spend that, but reflect a few seconds before making a comment like that, even sarcastically. 🤨
sophomores...

head-shake.gif

Went to Wilmington Saturday night for Masters of the Mic tour. KRS-ONE, Big Daddy Kane, Doug E Fresh, Slick Rick, Rakim. Damn great show. Very humid but breezy. Loved every minute of it.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Going to see Sam Hunt tonight. I don't really know who he is, because it's not really my style of music. That was a choice of my wife.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT