ADVERTISEMENT

At the Movies

Guess @heelz2345 won't be getting a Deadpool 3 thanks to Disney buying Fox. If they do one, it's just going to be another cookie cutter comic book movie like the rest of the MCU. Hopefully they just won't do another one. It would be next to impossible to do a Disney version of Deadpool and have it turn out good. Doubt the X-Men will actually get better as a result. A Logan type movie would never get made under Disney and I doubt you would see something like First Class or Days of Future Past either.

Guess @heelz2345 won't be getting a Deadpool 3 thanks to Disney buying Fox. If they do one, it's just going to be another cookie cutter comic book movie like the rest of the MCU. Hopefully they just won't do another one. It would be next to impossible to do a Disney version of Deadpool and have it turn out good. Doubt the X-Men will actually get better as a result. A Logan type movie would never get made under Disney and I doubt you would see something like First Class or Days of Future Past either.
Well I’m very curious how this merger will go, for the reasons above, but also for television as Disney gets FX as well. Obviously the Marvel portion of this merger has gotten a ton of buzz, and rightfully so, but Fox has other R rated media, and I can’t see Kingsman or Alien changing, nor the shows like Archer, Fargo, Always Sunny, American Horror Story, etc. So we will just have to see, I think they could still do Deadpool on his own, but if he shows up in a Spider-Man movie, he will end up being somewhat neutered just like Wolverine was in basically every non-Logan movie. We will just have to see, but Deadpool made enough money that Disney may leave it be. I mean the existing Marvel movies and Star Wars don’t say Disney in the opening credits or anything so Deadpool could be the same in that regard.

I do think some of Deadpool’s humor could survive, the violence would likely be toned down, as would some of the profanity, but Guardians, Spider-Man, Thor: Ragnarok have all had jokes involving somewhat risqué material, so I really don’t know. My hope is that Disney is smart enough to see the box office numbers for the first, realize that people really dug that, and let it be. Kevin Feige will play a large part in how Deadpool (and any other Fox owned Marvel characters) will be presented, and he’s had a good track record so far. Plus, they do some dark stuff on Netflix with Marvel, so it is just a little early to tell.

Well I’m very curious how this merger will go, for the reasons above, but also for television as Disney gets FX as well. Obviously the Marvel portion of this merger has gotten a ton of buzz, and rightfully so, but Fox has other R rated media, and I can’t see Kingsman or Alien changing, nor the shows like Archer, Fargo, Always Sunny, American Horror Story, etc. So we will just have to see, I think they could still do Deadpool on his own, but if he shows up in a Spider-Man movie, he will end up being somewhat neutered just like Wolverine was in basically every non-Logan movie. We will just have to see, but Deadpool made enough money that Disney may leave it be. I mean the existing Marvel movies and Star Wars don’t say Disney in the opening credits or anything so Deadpool could be the same in that regard.
Speaking of TV, I expect that the Simpsons will be canceled not long after this is completed. It will be too risqué for a network TV show in Disney's eyes. They might give them the option to tone it down, but I don't think anyone would agree to do that. The only hope the Simpsons and Fox's R rated stuff will have is if Disney is smart enough to treat it as a separate company when it comes to development and production. The Disney culture is so different from the Fox culture that they would have to keep them separate.

Speaking of TV, I expect that the Simpsons will be canceled not long after this is completed. It will be too risqué for a network TV show in Disney's eyes. They might give them the option to tone it down, but I don't think anyone would agree to do that. The only hope the Simpsons and Fox's R rated stuff will have is if Disney is smart enough to treat it as a separate company when it comes to development and production. The Disney culture is so different from the Fox culture that they would have to keep them separate.
I agree about the sort of separation element. However, my understanding of the deal (which may be mistaken) led me to believe they weren’t getting the channel Fox, just like they aren’t getting Fox News or Fox Sports, but how I read it is that Fox the channel would be just kind of it’s own entity just like those others. However, that still could affect the Simpsons and any other shows there, solely by no longer having the backing of any studio. I had felt for a while, even before this deal, that the Simpsons was gonna end when it hit 30 seasons. But I can’t see Simpsons or Family Guy changing that much. We will just have to see how it all shakes out

I agree about the sort of separation element. However, my understanding of the deal (which may be mistaken) led me to believe they weren’t getting the channel Fox, just like they aren’t getting Fox News or Fox Sports, but how I read it is that Fox the channel would be just kind of it’s own entity just like those others. However, that still could affect the Simpsons and any other shows there, solely by no longer having the backing of any studio. I had felt for a while, even before this deal, that the Simpsons was gonna end when it hit 30 seasons. But I can’t see Simpsons or Family Guy changing that much. We will just have to see how it all shakes out
They get the rights to the shows, but not the actual channel.

They get the rights to the shows, but not the actual channel.
Ok, gotcha. Well, I would assume some of those things might get grandfathered in. I think existing things would get to stay relatively the same, but obviously have no insider info on stuff like that, just my feeling on it

Ok, gotcha. Well, I would assume some of those things might get grandfathered in. I think existing things would get to stay relatively the same, but obviously have no insider info on stuff like that, just my feeling on it
It's going to be a huge get for Disney's new streaming service. They will be able to legitimately compete with Netflix now.

Reactions: heelz2345
It's going to be a huge get for Disney's new streaming service. They will be able to legitimately compete with Netflix now.
Yeah that’s gonna be big for sure. That and the Marvel stuff are the biggest financial gets for them in this deal for sure

Yeah that’s gonna be big for sure. That and the Marvel stuff are the biggest financial gets for them in this deal for sure
A small sampling of what they are getting:

The Simpsons
This Is Us
Modern Family
American Horror Story
Homeland
Night at the Museum
Home Alone
Doctor Dolittle
Alvin and the Chipmunks
X-Men
Fantastic Four
Ice Age
Planet of the Apes
Episode IV — A New Hope

I just saw a quote from Iger that said there is still a possibility for R Rated Deadpool sequels as long as they make sure audiences know it’s coming, so that seems like they are open to it at least

I just saw a quote from Iger that said there is still a possibility for R Rated Deadpool sequels as long as they make sure audiences know it’s coming, so that seems like they are open to it at least
Saying "there is still a possibility" doesn't sound encouraging. I would prefer that he say, of course we are going to make R rated movies because they are bringing in billions of dollars. We aren't going to continue to let mickey mouse decide what movies we make.

Well Feige Is the head marvel honcho, so it’s up to him really as to which direction certain characters will take. But the quote made it sound like Disney wanted to keep Deadpool the way it was, they just have to make sure it is properly marketed as an R rated movie and not the same as the rest of the Marvel movies. There are still plenty of variables but I think they will be able to do it in a way that they work it out

Well Feige Is the head marvel honcho, so it’s up to him really as to which direction certain characters will take. But the quote made it sound like Disney wanted to keep Deadpool the way it was, they just have to make sure it is properly marketed as an R rated movie and not the same as the rest of the Marvel movies. There are still plenty of variables but I think they will be able to do it in a way that they work it out
I guess we will find out soon enough. The culture at Disney is so much different than other studios that it's hard for me to see them not changing directions. Anyway, back to the original point of the thread. I'm assuming you have tickets for the first 10 Star Wars showings correct?

I guess we will find out soon enough. The culture at Disney is so much different than other studios that it's hard for me to see them not changing directions. Anyway, back to the original point of the thread. I'm assuming you have tickets for the first 10 Star Wars showings correct?
I don't know how I missed this poast, but I actually only saw it twice (so far) but I did both of those showings opening weekend.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Bumping this thread since the Oscar nominations were released today. Did you guys see anything up for the major awards? Best picture nominees were as follows (I'm putting asterisks next to the ones I saw)

Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour*
Dunkirk*
Get Out*
Lady Bird*
Phantom Thread*
The Post*
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri*

Gonna try and see the remaining two best picture nominees between now and the Oscars. Other movies that got nominated for acting awards were Roman J. Israel, Esq.; I, Tonya; The Florida Project; All The Money in the World; and Mudbound.

Bumping this thread since the Oscar nominations were released today. Did you guys see anything up for the major awards? Best picture nominees were as follows (I'm putting asterisks next to the ones I saw)

Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour*
Dunkirk*
Get Out*
Lady Bird*
Phantom Thread*
The Post*
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri*

Gonna try and see the remaining two best picture nominees between now and the Oscars. Other movies that got nominated for acting awards were Roman J. Israel, Esq.; I, Tonya; The Florida Project; All The Money in the World; and Mudbound.
I watched Mudbound since I've got Netflix, but that's it.

I watched Mudbound since I've got Netflix, but that's it.
I actually haven't seen that one yet but I'm gonna check it out before the Oscars. If you have Amazon Prime you can watch The Big Sick (screenplay nominee) for free. I thought that was a great movie, really happy it got a screenplay nom. Logan also got a screenplay nom which was kind of unexpected but also awesome

Reactions: Raising Heel
I’ve only seen The Last Jedi once and I was high so I need to see it again. Probably tomorrow since I’m playing hooky from work today and tomorrow.
hqg-300.gif

I saw T2 Transpotting 2

It was actually really good. I recommend using the English subtitles unless you're a native Scot.

Saw the remaining Best Picture nominees I hadn't already seen (The Shape of Water and Call Me By Your Name) this weekend along with I, Tonya. All three were quite good, with The Shape of Water being my personal favorite of the three. Great story with stunning visuals and awesome performances all around. I, Tonya was a lot of fun, I think Allison Janney should win Supporting Actress for it, she was terrific. I also checked out the first Paddington movie on Netflix because I'm going to try to see the sequel this weekend. That was just pure delight. 90 minutes of joy, optimism, and innocence with lots of laughs to be had. The second one has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is what intrigued me, and if it's as enjoyable as the first one, I can understand why.

Saw this story earlier. I feel like I keep hearing about Lebron being in or involved with movies, but outside of Trainwreck, I haven't actually seen him in any. In fairness, I thought he was great in Trainwreck.

ETA: There has been a movie in development since 2013(!) with Lebron and Kevin Hart called Ballers, that's what I was thinking of.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Black Panther= 2 thumbs up
Agreed, it was amazing. Michael B. Jordan is one of the most talented actors out there, his role in this was so strong. The whole cast was really great, and Ryan Coogler continues to be one of the best young directors in the game.

They set a good tone in the movie without diving deep into racial inequality. I had read in a few places of people fearing it would be another platform for radical views since it was predominately a black cast set in an African setting.

Don’t really go the theater anymore. This one was really good. Caught it on Showtime. All subtitles, but still easy to watch.
MV5BMjA0MzQzNjM1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjM5MjU5NjE@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

There's a movie coming out in March: Ready Player One. I read the book a few years ago and enjoyed it up until a certain point and then something turned me off. I can't remember what it was though. The premise is tailor made for my background--growing up during the rise of the arcades, TRON, etc...

If any of the OOTB Critics see the movie, please share your thoughts on the board. The trailer didn't appeal to me as much as I would have hoped. It's one of those movie premises I want to work but I'm afraid I won't enjoy it.

Trailer

There's a movie coming out in March: Ready Player One. I read the book a few years ago and enjoyed it up until a certain point and then something turned me off. I can't remember what it was though. The premise is tailor made for my background--growing up during the rise of the arcades, TRON, etc...

If any of the OOTB Critics see the movie, please share your thoughts on the board. The trailer didn't appeal to me as much as I would have hoped. It's one of those movie premises I want to work but I'm afraid I won't enjoy it.

Trailer
I'm planning on checking it out, so I'll let you know when I do. I've heard mixed things about the book, but it seems interesting enough to try, plus with anything Spielberg is involved in, I'm usually willing to give it a chance.

Trailer
I'm intrigued (and easily entertained, soooo...).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT