ADVERTISEMENT

Big Game Today @ 4p

UNC71-00

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 25, 2003
Your undefeated and 4th ranked Carolina lacrosse team, fresh off a win over Hopkins, plays #1 ranked Denver today at 4p in Chapel Hill. Unfortunately it is on Navy Field as opposed to Fetzer.

ESPNU has the broadcast.

IIRC Denver has knocked UNC out of the postseason the last two years. Would obviously rather beat them in the postseason, but a little revenge would be nice. I'll be watching at least the beginning since I can stream ESPN3 at work.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
IIRC Denver has knocked UNC out of the postseason the last two years. Would obviously rather beat them in the postseason, but a little revenge would be nice. I'll be watching at least the beginning since I can stream ESPN3 at work.
So Denver is the equivalent of our Maryland field hockey?
blackeye.r191677.gif

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
So Denver is the equivalent of our Maryland field hockey?
blackeye.r191677.gif
...and KU in basketball.

Had to cut out of work right after the Heels went on a 5-0 run to take the lead at 8-6. Glad to see they held on. Could be a special year for the men's team.
One can hope, but they are going to have to do it on hustle and smart play (which they did for the most part yesterday) as opposed to superior skill. Although getting Pontrello and Simpson back will help.

This post was edited on 2/28 7:52 AM by UNC71-00

I saw the last 5 minutes Great win!!! It was really funny and ironic to be playing Denver at HOME in NC with snow piled really high on the side of the field so they could play.................. GO HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go Heels!!

Despite my high school challenging for state championships in lax all four years I was there, I still don't understand a lick of lacrosse lol. But I do enjoy watching the Heels play when I can because they seem to play hard.

GO TAR HEEL LACROSSE!!

Way to go Heels!!

Despite my high school challenging for state championships in lax all four years I was there, I still don't understand a lick of lacrosse lol. But I do enjoy watching the Heels play when I can because they seem to play hard.

GO TAR HEEL LACROSSE!!
It's really not that confusing. What baffles you? I'm guessing that who gets the ball when it goes out of bounds, some penalties, and position differences are the main culprits.

Originally posted by UNC71-00:

Way to go Heels!!

GO TAR HEEL LACROSSE!!
It's really not that confusing. What baffles you? I'm guessing that who gets the ball when it goes out of bounds, some penalties, and position differences are the main culprits.
I more or less get the rules (or at least enough to watch without being confused). It's more the strategy that I don't get. The pacing and rhythm sorta throws me....it's really, really slow at times but then can pick up to a frenetic pace. I guess you could say the same about soccer, but I've played and watch soccer for years so it makes sense to me.

In lacrosse, it just seems like they don't ATTACK authoritatively enough, but there must be a reason for this that I don't understand. Seems like teams "over pass" around the goal when they should just fling a shot at goal. Like....why don't teams get some burners who can just charge up the middle "basketball fast break" style?

After I left my high school, they had a kid named Willie Police on the lacrosse team who went on to play football at Western Carolina. This dude was fast as night and a dang good football player. He also loved lacrosse. They'd get him the ball in the defensive half and he'd just surge down the field, juking people out and would get into a 1v1 with the keeper. He couldn't shoot well, but his speed made him lethal at the high school level.

I don't really see anything like this in college lacrosse. It seems much more methodical, working the ball around patiently, looking for an opening. I don't know, I guess I need to watch it with a soccer mindset, not a basketball mindset.

If Willie Police tried that against D1 talent, he would end up on his back and the ball would be going the other direction.

Basically, the offensive strategy is about mismatches. They try to get enough slides (defensive switches) where an attackman or the best midfielder is against the short stick defenseman. There are also a lot of picks and cuts and screens. But the reason those guys rarely shoot from outside 8 yards is that the goalies will save them at a very high rate.

Lacrosse offense is also about unsettled situations and fast breaks with a 4 on 3 or better.

Think of it more like hockey- those guys can get a shot from the blue line any time they want it. But it is rarely taken unless there is a screen or a mismatch.

^^ Interesting. I will keep this in mind next time I watch. I hate hockey and never watch it, so perhaps that's why I don't fully grasp lacrosse strategy yet.

The similarities to hockey are few, other than shot distance and extra man penalties.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT