ADVERTISEMENT

Bilas ??

bleeduncblue

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
I have always been (for the most part) a fan of Jay Bilas ... but he was almost unbearable last night. The dook homer in him was blazing hot. He gushed on and on and on about Okafor (and his MIGHTY 12 points ... Retard Jefferson had 13). He made several comments about how "thin" the dook bench is .. only 8 scholarship players. AS IF UNC is deep right now, with the injuries. Many times down the stretch he nearly came unglued about the lack of a foul call against UNC.

Honestly I caught myself wishing that Vitale was back -- at least he's predictable. I really hoped Bilas could keep his dookie-side out of the commentating of this game, but he wasn't even close. Sure hope he's not the permanent replacement
sick.r191677.gif

Must be almost impossible to be non bias when you team is playing. Yes, I know some do a good job of that (Hubert seemed to be under control for the most part) and they get paid to be non bias, but still it must be incredible difficult to do so. How many of us could call a UNC game without some bias sneaking in. Heck, I'd be fired after the first half.

Originally posted by bleeduncblue:
I have always been (for the most part) a fan of Jay Bilas ... but he was almost unbearable last night. The dook homer in him was blazing hot. He gushed on and on and on about Okafor (and his MIGHTY 12 points ... Retard Jefferson had 13). He made several comments about how "thin" the dook bench is .. only 8 scholarship players. AS IF UNC is deep right now, with the injuries. Many times down the stretch he nearly came unglued about the lack of a foul call against UNC.

Honestly I caught myself wishing that Vitale was back -- at least he's predictable. I really hoped Bilas could keep his dookie-side out of the commentating of this game, but he wasn't even close. Sure hope he's not the permanent replacement
sick.r191677.gif
Couldn't agree more, Bleed. I posted the same, in another post. I know they can't do what I'd recommend, b/c Bilas is on their A team and Dook/Heels will always be their A game, but it seems they should try to avoid having any announcer call a game with that close of ties to one of the teams.

As much as I dislike Bill Walton as a leftist brain dead stoner, at least even he is more objective about calling UCLA games.

The man-love Bilas showed for Oke should make Bilas ashamed.... straight up embarrassing. I'd be embarrassed if some guy like the late Stuart Scott had to constantly shamelessly verbally defend a full grown Heel player against those meanie refs and Dookies.

Originally posted by UNC-75:
Must be almost impossible to be non bias when you team is playing. Yes, I know some do a good job of that (Hubert seemed to be under control for the most part) and they get paid to be non bias, but still it must be incredible difficult to do so. How many of us could call a UNC game without some bias sneaking in. Heck, I'd be fired after the first half.
Ha! no doubt.. Right there with you. Nice post.

I really don't mind if he is biased in some ways. Where I have lost all respect for him is with his rants on officiating. Numerous times he would say something was a foul when there may have been some contact and Duke was the team that may have been fouled. Twice (Winslow holding JP and Winslow fouling Paige) he mentioned the play and immediately justified why the official wouldn't call it. Any other game or team involved other than Duke and he would have ranted about it for five minutes, as he has done numerous times before. He is a hypocrite and he has had it out for the officials all year but been scared or unwilling to speak out when it has involved Duke being the team getting the benefit of the doubt. He let his voice make his head a little big and thinks he is above reproach, which he may be in some ways. It is a shame because he used to be better than that.

I always considered Bilas to be the best in the business. With that said, last night may have been the first time that he was pretty much being a dOOk homer, no doubt that he was blatantly cheerleading through much of the second half . .

I guess it's difficult to stay middle road when it's your own school that is playing.

With ESPN doing the game, there really wasn't much better of an announcing team to choose from . .

Sure am glad I wasn't in the minority of this line of thinking.

This is the second game of late that he's called for us where he was really working my nerves. He was much worse last night, though.

Numerous times he made the comment about the lack of a foul call against UNC and then in hypocritical fashion was all smug about the last (uncalled) foul against Paige on the rebound.

His bias crept in for sure yesterday.

I too was laughing at the 8 scholarship players comment because I was like... yeah but I think all 8 are mcd all-americans. lol

i actually agree that last night he was a bit of a homer. he blatantly gave short commentary on a few no calls that benefitted dook, ie the hold on JP on the screen, but highlighted every time he thought the refs missed a foul on the heels, specifically on Okra. he also beat the 8 scholarship player thing to death, absolutely to death.

i do agree to an extent with the poster who said itd be tough not to let your allegiance bleed through in a game like that.

bleed, due to the noise level where I was I couldn't always hear him, but what I did hear was much more dook-biased than I expected, and now you guys are confirming it was even worse than I even gleaned.

Bilas is not being well-reviewed on the "interwebs" either. A twitter post I saw said that he may be forced to drop the "L" in his last name.
dead.r191677.gif

I have heard that Vitale was edged out because he has been going off on longer and longer tangents at inappropriate times this season, and there was a worry that he would just lose it at this game, what with the Dean situation on one hand and his dookie-fetish on the other. Honestly, I think he should have been allowed a last hurrah for the rivalry this season... and with how bad Bilas was, what harm could it have done?

Gay showed his true color last night, maybe now people will see him for what he is, a hypocrite, plain and simple.

'He did step in the lane, but I thought they were going to ignore it"
[/B]
flush.r191677.gif

I said it in the previous post about Bilas being a Heel hater, I really think the dude is pandering to the dookies because he may think he's next in line when K retires.

some of you guys must have wanted him to sound bias...he praised his former team for being outstanding, which some of them clearly are, but also gave carolina a lot of credit...in fact, when he was in durham for 1st take on espn, he was completely unbiased and was very honest about this carolina team...he didn't say they were soft, but said they weren't tough during certain moments in games...is that not honest???

the only negative thing i've ever heard him say, and it wasn't negative so much as critical, was in the hbo series "tobacco road" he said "doherty hit a shot out of his ass to beat us"...and when you watch that clip, it was a lucky shot.

Originally posted by PolkCountyBullGator:

"He did step in the lane, but I thought they were going to ignore it"
[/B]
flush.r191677.gif
Definitely heard that too. THAT was one of his dumber statements.

I've always respected Jay, but this was the second game he's worn my nerves thin and it's bothering me. I'm to the point I hope he never calls another one of our games.

Yeah he sucked for sure, as the majority agrees. I get the whole thing about being part of the rivalry and having a hard time containing the bias ... but if it's that difficult, someone with no ties whatsoever should be calling the game. There are plenty of non-Puke games that he can do.

For the record, I would have been cringing if a UNC commentator were calling the game and saying this stuff about UNC.

Originally posted by Super6Fan:

Originally posted by PolkCountyBullGator:

"He did step in the lane, but I thought they were going to ignore it"
[/B]
flush.r191677.gif
Definitely heard that too. THAT was one of his dumber statements.

I've always respected Jay, but this was the second game he's worn my nerves thin and it's bothering me. I'm to the point I hope he never calls another one of our games.
Only at dook.

"Yeah we did it, but....."

Anyone with an ounce of decency should want every game called the way it should be.

[/B]

I think Bilas is extremely fair and balanced when critiquing teams and probably especially hard on Duke at times. It is just this new officiating rant he has been on this year where he is inconsistent. He is biased in this regard, which is just out of character for him. Like I said, his head got too big. I still like everything he does except for the officiating hypocrisy.

it appears as though bilas is respected by everyone but a few...espn did the right thing...and if your panties are so ruffled, switch over to raycom.

maybe next year they could have bilas and doherty to balance the scales.

Originally posted by gteeitup:
it appears as though bilas is respected by everyone but a few...espn did the right thing...and if your panties are so ruffled, switch over to raycom.

maybe next year they could have bilas and doherty to balance the scales.
Matt Doherty? That would be awesome. It would be like one of us on the TV. He is the only one in the ESPN interview with the UNC and Duke people who said there were no redeeming qualities he could think of regarding his rival (Duke obviously), lol.

I think the problem we are seeing with Bilas is that when we all saw his fair and unbiased commentary he was behind the desk and had time to prep. Sitting court side while a game is going on the emotions get the best of you and his dook allegiance came out at times.

Overall I thought he did a good job last night, but he did have a few comments that I thought were slanted towards his alma mater. I don't mind that too much. Heck, if he didn't have a love for the place he played for then I would wonder about him. Jay Williams certainly doesn't have a problem showing his true colors, but even so he also made some good points about UNC last night. Kenny Smith does the same thing toward us as did Hubert Davis when he was a commentator. And we all know Stu didn't mind showing his bias at times either, so I give those guys som leeway.

I didn't see a whole lot to ruffle my feathers last night with the commentary.

The only one that really got me hot was the lane violation. He acted like it shouldn't have been called. Like it didn't affect the Hicks shot any. BS--go to the line with 9,341 little rich pricks screaming at you, 1500 or so waving there arms directly in front of you and then have someone 2 feet away step into you peripheral vision just as you are about to release your shot and tell me if didn't impact your stroke! It's called a violation for a reason. It's also not an subjective call. It is what it is. What a tool.

Originally posted by Billheel:

The only one that really got me hot was the lane violation. He acted like it shouldn't have been called. Like it didn't affect the Hicks shot any. BS--go to the line with 9,341 little rich pricks screaming at you, 1500 or so waving there arms directly in front of you and then have someone 2 feet away step into you peripheral vision just as you are about to release your shot and tell me if didn't impact your stroke! It's called a violation for a reason. It's also not an subjective call. It is what it is. What a tool.
Agreed, Bill . .

What really got me, is that it was unbelievably dumb to be boxing out the shooter on his 1st of 2 shots . . wasn't it Matt Jones that was guilty of the violation . . ? Just a dumb move.

Did anybody else catch his comment that dooK had all ball on a block but replay showed otherwise?

Originally posted by Heel Gyeah:
Did anybody else catch his comment that dooK had all ball on a block but replay showed otherwise?
That was one of several, Gyeah.

I wanted SO BAD to be able to switch to Raycom, but I only had the ESPN option (thru WatchESPN app). Like I said, I just hope Bilas is not the long term answer. They have several good commentators (with no allegiance to either school) that they could put with Shulman.

Vitale suffered from '06-'09 losses at HIS, I'm fine with Bilas, Jay (don't call me Jason) Williams, Battier, et al suffering through losses
grin.r191677.gif

Today I enjoyed watching the GATech vs UNC game on ABC...Woody's son was the on air announcer...sure was a nice to hear

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT