ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Huggins uses slurs on radio program

Bob Huggins has entered the transfer portal. He is currently receiving interest from Liberty University.

IMG-4707.jpg

He coached at Cincy, and Cincy and Xavier have deep hatreds going both ways.

Would you be fired from your current job if you were recorded saying a homophobic slur twice?
Would you be fired from your current job if you were recorded saying a homophobic slur twice?
No and I find it funny and also petty when someone calls out others for calling people names that are how that person sees themselves. Lol. Both of the things he said are real people, and they see themselves that way. But hurt soft society. Would I say it? No

No and I find it funny and also petty when someone calls out others for calling people names that are how that person sees themselves. Lol. Both of the things he said are real people, and they see themselves that way. But hurt soft society. Would I say it? No

terrible take…

terrible take…
I guess, but if I'm getting his gist he's saying we have become too ridiculously sensitive...and I agree completely. Huggins shouldn't have said it, and I hope I wouldn't say it...but if I did, I would expect a simple apology to be sufficient. It was just a word, for God's sake. If we go into the fetal position over a word spoken in jest, it isn't the word that is the problem. And frankly, I don't believe that those directly offended are really all that offended. I think the hue and cry in cases like this come from our society's jump circle defenders.

People that feign being offended are simply in it for the recognition and their 5 minutes of fame.

It should be a college requirement to watch all of Monty Pythons shows, Mel Brooks movies, stand ups by Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx, Wildman Steve, Gene Tracy, Dice Clay, Eddie Murphy, Bill Hicks, and Lennie Bruce.

People that feign being offended are simply in it for the recognition and their 5 minutes of fame.

It should be a college requirement to watch all of Monty Pythons shows, Mel Brooks movies, stand ups by Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx, Wildman Steve, Gene Tracy, Dice Clay, Eddie Murphy, Bill Hicks, and Lennie Bruce.
Yep, we are teaching our kids to be easily offended. People have lost the ability to laugh at themselves.

Yep, we are teaching our kids to be easily offended. People have lost the ability to laugh at themselves.
too many of us are children posing as adults.

Small children are understandably upset when it seems someone doesn't like what they are. That's when they should be taught that there's nothing wrong with what they are and that they are better than to be hurt by intended or unintended insults. Teach kids to feel good about themselves. Let the insults reflect on the insulters and let it go..

By hammering home that an insult, intended or otherwise, has hit its mark and that therefor the recipient should feel hurt and aggrieved, credence is given to the feeling that there must be merit to the insult. The frustrating brainlessness of it is that we preach out of one side of our mouth that everyone is as good and worthwhile as everyone else; and then out of the other side, by encouraging these crybaby reactions, we are really saying 'well, that probably isn't actually true'.

For all the criticism our coach receives, at least Carolina never has to worry about Hubert
saying things like Huggins did. Those words and attitudes were in his brain before they tumbled
out of his mouth. He has lost the respect of many people and a million dollars to boot.

Reactions: PeppersPizza
too many of us are children posing as adults.

Small children are understandably upset when it seems someone doesn't like what they are. That's when they should be taught that there's nothing wrong with what they are and that they are better than to be hurt by intended or unintended insults. Teach kids to feel good about themselves. Let the insults reflect on the insulters and let it go..

By hammering home that an insult, intended or otherwise, has hit its mark and that therefor the recipient should feel hurt and aggrieved, credence is given to the feeling that there must be merit to the insult. The frustrating brainlessness of it is that we preach out of one side of our mouth that everyone is as good and worthwhile as everyone else; and then out of the other side, by encouraging these crybaby reactions, we are really saying 'well, that probably isn't actually true'.

This poast is so money. That is exactly what we used to do and what we should still be doing. But everybody wants a piece of victimhood these days. Why? Because we reward victimhood and helplessness.

Great, great poast. As good and succinct as anything you have ever poasted at OOTB.

For all the criticism our coach receives, at least Carolina never has to worry about Hubert
saying things like Huggins did. Those words and attitudes were in his brain before they tumbled
out of his mouth. He has lost the respect of many people and a million dollars to boot.

I'm not worried about Hubert saying things like that because saying things like that doesn't worry me. If Hubert saying 'fag' could put our program back on track, I'd have cheer cards made up for it.

But I have to lol at this causing Huggins to lose respect. That should take his respect points right on into the negative numbers.

I'm not worried about Hubert saying things like that because saying things like that doesn't worry me. If Hubert saying 'fag' could put our program back on track, I'd have cheer cards made up for it.

But I have to lol at this causing Huggins to lose respect. That should take his respect points right on into the negative numbers.
I think the first paragraph was hyperbole. I believe the use of derogatory words should be discouraged, starting at home, but I also think people are too easily triggered by them. I want to win but I want to win with class. That’s the true definition of the Dean Smith “system” to me.

And yes, Huggins has been an arse for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluetoe
This poast is so money. That is exactly what we used to do and what we should still be doing. But everybody wants a piece of victimhood these days. Why? Because we reward victimhood and helplessness.

Great, great poast. As good and succinct as anything you have ever poasted at OOTB.
thanks. I can still (vaguely) remember the first time I came home from school whining about what somebody said about me. It was also the last time because I was told in no uncertain terms that that wasn't going to wash at my house. You may have heard the same thing as I did...'well, are you a (insert insulting term)? Then don't let it bother you and don't come home whining any more'.

Reactions: alabamaheel
So they are going to penalize the man a $MILLION$ Dollars for this? Would it have been fine had he called them "queers"? That word as far as I knew used to be considered a bad thing to call gays folks, now it appears to be acceptable, seems that is what they consistently call themselves? AS a white straight man it is fine and dandy to call me and others like me anything you want but how dare you call someone not like me by a word that folks decided yesterday does not celebrate their rise to the top of the social acceptability chain? Man, folks are so darn soft now days, so freakin sensitive and so spineless.

I know this much, Anheuser Bush would have been MUCH smarter to have put a picture of Huggins on their Bud Lite cans than that creepy Mulvaney dude! And yet you are scared to say that, you give up your own right to free speach, your own right to believe and say what you think because others will call you bad names on social media? I personally believe Mulvaney is suffering from mental illness and I do have the right to feel that way. Sorry but I am not going to fall over in shock and horror when I hear someone sat what Huggins said and putting him thru all this nonsense, costing the man a MILLION DOLLARS for it is complete nonsense!

I think the first paragraph was hyperbole. I believe the use of derogatory language should be discouraged, starting at home, but I also think people are too easily triggered by them. I want to win but I want to win with class. That’s the true definition of the Dean Smith “system” to me.

well yeah, I wouldn't actually make cheer cards. But if Hubert called the players fags (to be generally and not specifically derisive) and that made them win a championship, I would no longer consider that term to be derogatory. 'Derogatory' is subjective.

This post is somewhat in jest but only somewhat.

I think the first paragraph was hyperbole. I believe the use of derogatory language should be discouraged, starting at home, but I also think people are too easily triggered by them. I want to win but I want to win with class. That’s the true definition of the Dean Smith “system” to me.

I actually don't think folks are as "triggered" as the act like they are. They are acting like they are triggered when they are not really triggered at all, they use that as an excuse to scream their demand that they not only be accepted by society but CELEBRATED as being BETTER than anyone that looks at their actions is deviant. Look, you do you in your own bed, you want to be a "pup handler" and dress up like Cinderella go for it, you just don't get to force me to accept it as normal. Class is about respecting others rights to be what ever they want to be, I am down with that for sure, but class is not about forcing your beliefs on others and demand they adhere.

So they are going to penalize the man a $MILLION$ Dollars for this? Would it have been fine had he called them "queers"? That word as far as I knew used to be considered a bad thing to call gays folks, now it appears to be acceptable, seems that is what they consistently call themselves? AS a white straight man it is fine and dandy to call me and others like me anything you want but how dare you call someone not like me by a word that folks decided yesterday does not celebrate their rise to the top of the social acceptability chain? Man, folks are so darn soft now days, so freakin sensitive and so spineless.

I know this much, Anheuser Bush would have been MUCH smarter to have put a picture of Huggins on their Bud Lite cans than that creepy Mulvaney dude! And yet you are scared to say that, you give up your own right to free speach, your own right to believe and say what you think because others will call you bad names on social media? I personally believe Mulvaney is suffering from mental illness and I do have the right to feel that way. Sorry but I am not going to fall over in shock and horror when I hear someone sat what Huggins said and putting him thru all this nonsense, costing the man a MILLION DOLLARS for it is complete nonsense!
Excellent.

In my other post, I eliminated a paragraph about the ridiculousness of the reaction of both people in general and of Huggins' school and I'm happy you addressed it so well. They didn't punish him because he deserved such punishment, they punished him because the people who make a big deal out of everything in their quest for self-admiration demand it.

I wonder if we'll ever get fed up enough to start calling bullshit on these people and become reasonable again.

ETA; I posted this before seeing your post just above. I am in complete agreement.

Reactions: DSouthr
Excellent.

In my other post, I eliminated a paragraph about the ridiculousness of the reaction of both people in general and of Huggins' school and I'm happy you addressed it so well. They didn't punish him because he deserved such punishment, they punished him because the people who make a big deal out of everything in their quest for self-admiration demand it.

I wonder if we'll ever get fed up enough to start calling bullshit on these people and become reasonable again.

ETA; I posted this before seeing your post just above. I am in complete agreement.
The very reason we are bombarded with all this nonsense is that folks will not stand up and say we have had ENOUGH! Look, folks can do their own silent protest by not buying Bud lite, what has that cost A&B now, last I heard was over $5billion, seems a lot of folks don't like what they did with that Bud Lite can, so there is a silent majority out here that don't like this nonsense either but the problem is they are silent! Because they are silent they are allowing this junk to spread like a cancer in our society and it about to kill the patient. Evil exists when good men do nothing, this worship of deviancy has become a religious cult, an evil in my opinion that is very real and destroys everything it comes in contact with.

I believe it was George Washington that said, I as a free American would rather die on my feet than live on my knees, accepting this NEW NORMAL is to me living on my knees, sorry but I refuse to do that. I go to my knees for one and only 1 and he last walked as mortal a little over 2,200 years ago, he was murdered for what he believed, because he would not bow to what society wanted him to bow to, he had a greater master, his father.

Reactions: bluetoe
I go to my knees for one and only 1 and he last walked as mortal a little over 2,200 years ago, he was murdered for what he believed, because he would not bow to what society wanted him to bow to, he had a greater master, his father.
I go to my knees for that same man, but I also know he wouldn't say things like the F-word, the N-word, etc and think it's just "nonsense and/or soft" when others are offended by it.
And I'll wager every dime I have on that premise.

I go to my knees for that same man, but I also know he wouldn't say things like the F-word, the N-word, etc and think it's just "nonsense and/or soft" when others are offended by it.
John 8:7 as recommended reading for you.

I'll be happy to call that bet and take all your money.

There was a time when faith was stronger in this country. And coincidentally, at that same time, we as a collective society cared far less about what each individual was offended by.

I agree in principle, but there was and will be only one Jesus. He was capable of being and doing in ways that he didn't expect mere men to live up to. He only gave them the right way of seeing things and asked that they try to follow. I believe he would actually approve of not taking offense;

Matt. 5 Verses 38 to 48
[39] But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Other than a few people in this thread, has this been made into a big deal? I'm sure a LGBTQ group has put out a statement, but I haven't heard much beyond his statement and apology. Bunch of old, straight, white guys getting more offended than anyone.

Other than a few people in this thread, has this been made into a big deal? I'm sure a LGBTQ group has put out a statement, but I haven't heard much beyond his statement and apology. Bunch of old, straight, white guys getting more offended than anyone.
only if you think inflicting a million dollar pay cut is a big deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT