ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Talk

So I guess the players are so ignorant that they dont realize they can have a career ending injury in the playoffs?

Or maybe, just maybe, they'll risk injury while playing for a championship rather than an exhibition football game? Tweet or write a note to the countless players that have opted out of non CFP bowl games and maybe you'll get their reasoning.

Last edited:
Or maybe, just maybe, they'll risk injury while playing for a championship rather than an exhibition football game? Tweet or write a note to the countless players that have opted out of non CFP bowl games and maybe you'll get their take.

LOL.. I"m sure the players take would be that they have no clue.

I do remember about 10 years ago my uncle said the bigger the ball the dumber the athlete. For the most part he is spot on.

Truthfully, I think its more for attention. The last memory everyone has of playing football from these 2 is that Miami game. They know they sit now and don't play. The entire Orange bowl they will be talking about how good the Miami game was.

Point being they have used Carolina enough they don't need them anymore so they are out.

and now they are glad carolina used them...they went from non-five stars to legit first two day draft picks to possible nfl starters...carolina will print that next season, promise you...that’s recruiting, that’s legacy.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
and now they are glad carolina used them...they went from non-five stars to legit first two day draft picks to possible nfl starters...carolina will print that next season, promise you...that’s recruiting, that’s legacy.

Damn straight. Williams went from a 2 star LB/RB with 1 D1 offer that State thought was too slow and will end up a day 2 pick and most likely the #3 RB off the board.

And having 85 guys all carry their weight en route to over a 3.0 GPA is impressive......I never said 3.8 wasn't higher than 3.0.

You were the one that got offended with what my Uncle said. I only pointed out that if the tennis or golf team is higher then he would be correct even with the football team being at 3.0.

You were the one that got offended with what my Uncle said. I only pointed out that if the tennis or golf team is higher then he would be correct even with the football team being at 3.0.

Nah, I don't get offended on a message board. Merely pointing out that the football team had an impressive couple of semesters.

I will say that ANY football player that opts out of a bowl game due to the risk of injury BUT would play in the playoffs is just not very intelligent. A Championship means nothing if you have a career ending injury in the playoffs and never play football again. Anytime you play you are at risk.

Not sure if it is my eyes or my TV but it looks like they didnt wash the Texas uniforms after the last game. The white helmets make the jerseys and britches look dirty.

A lot of injuries in these bowls so far! Ehlinger is out forTexas!

You are correct. It's unfortunate these are not playoff games then there would be no injuries...lol

Well there might still be injuries but they wouldn't count.. or something like that.

You are correct. It's unfortunate these are not playoff games then there would be no injuries...lol

Well there might still be injuries but they wouldn't count.. or something like that.

Yea, you still don't get it. Lot of tireless days & nights goes into preparation for student athletes preparing themselves to compete in college at any level, while handling academics. 1.6% of them make it to the NFL. Only 150 of them will reach 4 years. Once you make that decision, it’s a very short window, to get yourself, both physically and mentally prepared for the biggest athletic interview of your life. Fans should be fans, and sit this one out.

For these UNC kids or any potential NFL prospect to be shamed or ridiculed for not playing in some meaningless bowl game just because the fans want a NYD bowl win is nuts. One bad cut like King took last night or like the kid from ND took a few years ago, and you have made a decision that can effect the rest of your life and potentially many others.

Its funny because fans want to kill a kid like Dwayne Haskins for not taking the NFL serious enough but also want to kill kids like Chazz, Carter, Brown and Williams for taking it serious enough to opt out of a meaningless game. Which is it?? If it's a business then they should make a business decision. This might be the easiest one they ever make.

Reactions: heelfan1961
Lol. Feels like I'm on PackPride.
Some of the dumbest people I know have a college degree. Book smarts are different than being smart. If you don't think that's true you need to get out more. Pack pride is a great example. A lot of them say they have degrees from moo and, well... I don't see any einsteins there.

It's like that old saying. Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncfootball-
Some of the dumbest people I know have a college degree. Book smarts are different than being smart. If you don't think that's true you need to get out more. Pack pride is a great example. A lot of them say they have degrees from moo and, well... I don't see any einsteins there.

It's like that old saying. Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I get out plenty, especially with 2 kids under 8, but show me where I said anything close to what you are talking about. Again, congrats to the players for having a fantastic last couple of semesters both on and off the field, in the middle of a pandemic, when they can't truly enjoy the college experience.

This is what scares me with Sam and A&M.

Expand it to 8 teams, most of us have been advocating for that.
I can't wait for this to be adopted, so we can start advocating for 16. I kid, I kid...kind of. Sometimes I yearn for the old days, when the National Champion was pulled randomly out of a hat.

I know. Hell of a trick, pulling a football team out of a hat.

ETA; apologies to @uncfootball- I didn't see your post re: 16 teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncfootball-

"It's like that old saying. Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

I'm using this and I'm not even going to ask for permission.

Except to me, knowing that tomato is a fruit is knowledge. Putting it with some lettuce and shredded carrots and not calling that fruit salad is wisdom. Not giving a damn what it's called when you're hungry is intelligence.

A rose by any other name smells as sweet, someone said. I think it was my mom.

Yea, you still don't get it. Lot of tireless days & nights goes into preparation for student athletes preparing themselves to compete in college at any level, while handling academics. 1.6% of them make it to the NFL. Only 150 of them will reach 4 years. Once you make that decision, it’s a very short window, to get yourself, both physically and mentally prepared for the biggest athletic interview of your life. Fans should be fans, and sit this one out.

For these UNC kids or any potential NFL prospect to be shamed or ridiculed for not playing in some meaningless bowl game just because the fans want a NYD bowl win is nuts. One bad cut like King took last night or like the kid from ND took a few years ago, and you have made a decision that can effect the rest of your life and potentially many others.

Its funny because fans want to kill a kid like Dwayne Haskins for not taking the NFL serious enough but also want to kill kids like Chazz, Carter, Brown and Williams for taking it serious enough to opt out of a meaningless game. Which is it?? If it's a business then they should make a business decision. This might be the easiest one they ever make.

Yet you still dont get it. The playoffs are meaningless games when looking at the chance of getting hurt and costing yourself millions in the NFL. How is it smart for Deonta Smith, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields or Travis Etienne to play in the playoffs?

Ok they’ve opted out and yes I hate it too but move on. The best to all of these young men and proud to call them Tar Heels. I would love to have the chance/ability to be put into the position of having to make that decision too. They are doing what they feel like is best for them and their future and I can’t say they are wrong. Remember this football players only have so many hits available in their bodies before it is over with. Hate they aren’t playing but excited to see how the new guys step up. If the oline does their job then the RBs will be fine. We are deep at the WR position so should be fine there. LB will be a key position and hopefully Asante is up to the challenge. We need for Sam to make it out of this game healthy because A&M will be out for blood.

As for expanding the playoffs the only reason I would say yes is to get other teams a chance. Tired of the same four teams. And no it wouldn’t prevent injuries from happening.

Bowl talk hope wake can score one for the conference today.

Yet you still dont get it. The playoffs are meaningless games when looking at the chance of getting hurt and costing yourself millions in the NFL. How is it smart for Deonta Smith, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields or Travis Etienne to play in the playoffs?

Again, read the article I provided. As I've said several times, OUTSIDE OF THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS, a lot of folks deem the bowls as exhibition games. The players you just provided are playing for a national title which is the point I'm making.

Last edited:
Ok they’ve opted out and yes I hate it too but move on. The best to all of these young men and proud to call them Tar Heels. I would love to have the chance/ability to be put into the position of having to make that decision too. They are doing what they feel like is best for them and their future and I can’t say they are wrong. Remember this football players only have so many hits available in their bodies before it is over with. Hate they aren’t playing but excited to see how the new guys step up. If the oline does their job then the RBs will be fine. We are deep at the WR position so should be fine there. LB will be a key position and hopefully Asante is up to the challenge. We need for Sam to make it out of this game healthy because A&M will be out for blood.

As for expanding the playoffs the only reason I would say yes is to get other teams a chance. Tired of the same four teams. And no it wouldn’t prevent injuries from happening.

Bowl talk hope wake can score one for the conference today.

No one said it would prevent injuries from happening. Point that many are making is do you risk injury playing in the Cheeze-It Bowl, Mayo Bowl or any other non CFP bowl game. Multiple kids from UNC, Wake and Miami have said no, it's not worth it.

Again, read the article I provided. As I've said several times, OUTSIDE OF THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS, a lot of folks deem the bowls as exhibition games. The players you just provided are playing for a national title which is the point I'm making.

So what is the pay for playing in the semi finals and the Title game? A million per player? There has to be more than a fancy watch and a mini helmet.

So what is the pay for playing in the semi finals and the Title game? A million per player? There has to be more than a fancy watch and a mini helmet.

If you've ever played sports, you'll know that the goal is to win the Championship. That and you know, playing in front of millions and millions and millions and millions and millions of people. But the ultimate goal is to move on to the next level and if you aren't playing in the big game(s) or your draft stock is as high as it can go and you don't want to risk injury, that is their choice. This isn't going to be the first time kids opt out for the year or bowl games and it won't be the last. So you might wanna get used to it.

If you've ever played sports, you'll know that the goal is to win the Championship. That and you know, playing in front of millions and millions and millions and millions and millions of people. But the ultimate goal is to move on to the next level and if you aren't playing in the big game(s) or your draft stock is as high as it can go and you don't want to risk injury, that is their choice. This isn't going to be the first time kids opt out for the year or bowl games and it won't be the last. So you might wanna get used to it.

I find it comical the way some flip flop back and forth on what is important.

Reactions: strummingram
No one said it would prevent injuries from happening. Point that many are making is do you risk injury playing in the Cheeze-It Bowl, Mayo Bowl or any other non CFP bowl game. Multiple kids from UNC, Wake and Miami have said no, it's not worth it.

It was a joke but y’all carry on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT