ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Talk

Them being eligible for school is irrelevant to this conversation. The bowl game is part of the season. There are three parts to a season. The preseason, regular season and the post season. This isn't really debatable. If they want to quit, they can. They have every right to do so. That doesn't mean that they get to keep their standing in UNC history.

it is relevant to them, so it is debatable.

their “standing in unc history” is actually irrelevant to the outcome of a bowl...unless you’ve not paid attention to the records they achieved during the season, their standing is already cemented in unc history...no touchdown, no rushing statistic, no tackle, no reception or td catch, will add to an all-american or all league award...an orange bowl mvp isn’t doing anything for unc, recruiting, or draft status.

my point all along has been it’s not going to affect recruiting, be bad press for the school or staff, or negate the work by the team throughout the season...the program is ascending no matter who plays or who doesn’t.

I still think the best word for them is cowards. You can't live your life in constant fear of what might happen. Not saying do stupid stuff like running with the bulls or driving a car 150 mph down I-40.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
I want them to play. This gives the young guys a chance to play against a high level opponent before going into the offseason. Shit, maybe an ass kicking would motivate them to get after it all summer.
I agree. You go to war with the guys who show up, not the noshows. They're history now.
The problem is that it's a big missed opportunity in terms of a potential recruiting boost and hype for the program. I'm willing to bet there would even be a significant uptick in Ram's Club donations if we won the Orange Bowl. Plus, nobody wants to be like Notre Dame and go to NY6 bowls and playoff games just to get curb stomped.
Yep.
my point all along has been it’s not going to affect recruiting, be bad press for the school or staff, or negate the work by the team throughout the season...the program is ascending no matter who plays or who doesn’t.
We'll just disagree since there's no way to your theory.

it is relevant to them, so it is debatable.
What's debatable to them? The definition of a season? Definitions aren't debatable. You don't get to pick and choose what definition you want to use.

their “standing in unc history” is actually irrelevant to the outcome of a bowl...unless you’ve not paid attention to the records they achieved during the season, their standing is already cemented in unc history...no touchdown, no rushing statistic, no tackle, no reception or td catch, will add to an all-american or all league award...an orange bowl mvp isn’t doing anything for unc, recruiting, or draft status.
This largely makes no sense and is a mess of a post. I'll just address the decipherable part of the bowl result. The result has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Them not playing is what I'm talking about. They'll never come close to having the legacy they could have had if they would have played. Legacy is more than numbers.

This also makes no sense. You're arguing with yourself on almost every point you're making here. The only point that people have disagreed with was if a win would help recruiting. That had nothing to do with the post you quoted though.

Reactions: Archer2
Gotta wonder how many guys in the locker room are actually pissed off.

I hope Dazz has like 20 catches for 8 billion yards and a dozen TD's
As players, I'm sure they understand why they are sitting out, but I don't think most of them are happy about it. Especially Sam since this has the most impact on him.

What's debatable to them? The definition of a season? Definitions aren't debatable. You don't get to pick and choose what definition you want to use.

This largely makes no sense and is a mess of a post. I'll just address the decipherable part of the bowl result. The result has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Them not playing is what I'm talking about. They'll never come close to having the legacy they could have had if they would have played. Legacy is more than numbers.
This also makes no sense.

You're arguing with yourself on almost every point you're making here. The only point that people have disagreed with was if a win would help recruiting. That had nothing to do with the post you quoted though.

it’s debatable to them if a post-season bowl game should be part of their commitment...they believe it isn’t, you believe it is.

legacy has already been established, see records, awards...the ruined legacy belongs to hakeem nicks...if austin and little did anything, their legacies would be even more non-existent or forgotten...legacy in your eyes is a different story, that’s your deal, not theirs...they’ll be fine, probably invited back, maybe even coach here someday.

it’s debatable to them if a post-season bowl game should be part of their commitment...they believe it isn’t, you believe it is.
Again, this is irrelevant to what I'm saying and it's a completely different subject. We're talking about what makes up a season. What they think they committed to doesn't change the definition.

legacy has already been established, see records, awards...the ruined legacy belongs to hakeem nicks...if austin and little did anything, their legacies would be even more non-existent or forgotten...legacy in your eyes is a different story, that’s your deal, not theirs...they’ll be fine, probably invited back, maybe even coach here
You have a bad habit of making no sense with your posts. Legacy is about how you are remembered. It's not just a number. I'll use Gio as an example again. If you ask a UNC fan what they remember about him, it's going to be that punt return. It won't be, oh I remember he had ____ yards in his junior year. Their legacy will always be the RBs that skipped the orange bowl. That's not debatable either, because you have multiple people in this thread who are saying the same thing. It's not just me.

Again, this is irrelevant to what I'm saying and it's a completely different subject. We're talking about what makes up a season. What they think they committed to doesn't change the definition.

You have a bad habit of making no sense with your posts. Legacy is about how you are remembered. It's not just a number. I'll use Gio as an example again. If you ask a UNC fan what they remember about him, it's going to be that punt return. It won't be, oh I remember he had ____ yards in his junior year. Their legacy will always be the RBs that skipped the orange bowl. That's not debatable either, because you have multiple people in this thread who are saying the same thing. It's not just me.
They're going to be the RB duo that backed-out of the Orange Bowl. Chazz Surratt will be the LB who backed-out of the Orange Bowl. Dyami Brown will be the WR who backed-out of the Orange Bowl.

Dazz Newsome will be the WR who was an amazing play-maker all through his college career and played in the Orange Bowl with the Tar Heels, in his senior year, before he was drafted in the NFL!

and you’re just bad at understanding...what they committed to is what they committed to, a college football program and coach...you don’t know and neither do i, what they asked of them...coaches don’t ask to sign on a dotted line to see it through no matter what...in fact, sometimes they ask them to walk-on...they can cut them or move them down any time they want...nobody knows what happens in any given year.

let me be clear, idgaf how you remember them...you and some others will remember them negatively it appears, i and others will not...that doesn’t change what the most important part of this is, their experience.

what gio did in one punt return is perfect, thanks for using...he was not an nfl prospect at the time, it was a regular season game, it wasn’t a record, and he never received an award for it(though he’s a hero in my book).

the guys leaving, minus brown, have all but cemented their legacies as phenomenal college players for carolina...nobody will ever take that experience away from them...ask dre bly what he thinks.

and you’re just bad at understanding...what they committed to is what they committed to, a college football program and coach...you don’t know and neither do i, what they asked of them...coaches don’t ask to sign on a dotted line to see it through no matter what...in fact, sometimes they ask them to walk-on...they can cut them or move them down any time they want...nobody knows what happens in any given year.

let me be clear, idgaf how you remember them...you and some others will remember them negatively it appears, i and others will not...that doesn’t change what the most important part of this is, their experience.

what gio did in one punt return is perfect, thanks for using...he was not an nfl prospect at the time, it was a regular season game, it wasn’t a record, and he never received an award for it(though he’s a hero in my book).

the guys leaving, minus brown, have all but cemented their legacies as phenomenal college players for carolina...nobody will ever take that experience away from them...ask dre bly what he thinks.
Thank you for being the PC mouthpiece. No one here GAF what you have to say either, except you. You’re entitled to your opinion, as are those who disagree with you.

They're going to be the RB duo that backed-out of the Orange Bowl. Chazz Surratt will be the LB who backed-out of the Orange Bowl. Dyami Brown will be the WR who backed-out of the Orange Bowl.

Dazz Newsome will be the WR who was an amazing play-maker all through his college career and played in the Orange Bowl with the Tar Heels, in his senior year, before he was drafted in the NFL!
Yep. What some people don't seem to understand is that your legacy is defined by all your actions. Right or wrong, that includes them pulling out of a huge game for the program. I think the players understand that too, even if some posters aren't smart enough to grasp it. The players decided they were willing to risk that legacy, because you don't get money for your legacy. They have that right and they seem to be ok with it. They don't have the right to write their own ending though. I wish them luck in life, but that asterisk is there.

We have talented guys ready to show their worth the scholarship and hopefully they can step up. What a stage to get to show what you can do. Looks like most of these guys were 4* in at least one or more recruiting websites. Coach em up coaches and see how they do.

Reactions: heelfan1961
Piss on them I hope they fail at football and end up having to use that education that they stole from UNC to make a living while thinking about what might have been like to be part of a team that made a huge turn around, made the Orange bowl and beat Texas AM.

I assume the players opting out don’t even travel, right? Just curious.

I was really looking forward to this game, mainly because I love watching these guys play. I will still watch but with no expectations now.

Last edited:
I assume the players opting out don’t even travel, right? Just curious.

I was really looking forward to this game, mainly because I love watching these guys play. I will still watch but with no expectations now.

No they are going to travel and be on the sidelines im sure of it. They will be interviewed during the game and they will say how much they love the university and the staff and their teammates. While knowing they thought they were better than the team and their well being ment more!

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Yep. What some people don't seem to understand is that your legacy is defined by all your actions. Right or wrong, that includes them pulling out of a huge game for the program. I think the players understand that too, even if some posters aren't smart enough to grasp it. The players decided they were willing to risk that legacy, because you don't get money for your legacy. They have that right and they seem to be ok with it. They don't have the right to write their own ending though. I wish them luck in life, but that asterisk is there.
And, if UNC loses badly? Their legacy will include THAT LOSS! They will be blamed for the team losing because the perception will be that their participation would have prevented that outcome.

Reactions: Archer2
And, if UNC loses badly? Their legacy will include THAT LOSS! They will be blamed for the team losing because the perception will be that their participation would have prevented that outcome.

And they'll be millionaires and won't give one f what is being said about them on a message board. Blame them all you want, but they're the reason they're here in the first place.

And they'll be millionaires and won't give one f what is being said about them on a message board. Blame them all you want, but they're the reason they're here in the first place.
Thank you for personifying the real, and very obvious, sentiment of the situation.

Thank you for understanding that you've beaten this topic to death. Time to move on and focus on the future.
No one is forcing you to respond and continuing with the thread.
Unless the Orange Bowl has already been played, then that is still part of our future and would be considered focusing forward. I don't know why people think fans need to do anything other than get what they want out of being a fan.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Unless the Orange Bowl has already been played, then that is still part of our future and would be considered focusing forward. I don't know why people think fans need to do anything other than get what they want out of being a fan.

Are we talking about the Orange Bowl or are we talking about guys that aren't playing (aren't part of future) in said Orange Bowl? Great chance for some young talented kids to show what they can do.

It diminishes their legacy. You think they should be remembered in the same way as any other back? I remember Gio for limping on the field to return a punt in a meaningless game against moo. JW and Carter will never have that respect and love from me. Them opting out will be their legacy.
Gio quit the program prematurely too though. He only played two yrs, left two yrs of eligibility on the table.

Aj Blue and Romar Morris had to be the feature back in Renner's final season (7-6).

Gotta wonder how many guys in the locker room are actually pissed off.

I hope Dazz has like 20 catches for 8 billion yards and a dozen TD's

If we are laying some cash on the game I would like to go on record as taking the under on the 8 billion yards and dozen TD's.

• Haha
Reactions: uncboy10
Gio quit the program prematurely too though. He only played two yrs, left two yrs of eligibility on the table.

Aj Blue and Romar Morris had to be the feature back in Renner's final season (7-6).

I guess it's all how folks view it but to me there is a difference in leaving after the season than during the season. After the season coaches/players have roughly 8 months to prepare for the next game.

I'm definitely disappointed / frustrated at these guys, and I suppose their legacies will be slightly tarnished in my eyes. However, they will always be Heels to me... unlike marvin austin, or larry (with)drew or a certain nutjob basketball player who must not be named.

Reactions: UNCPJH81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT