ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Talk

I guess it's all how folks view it but to me there is a difference in leaving after the season than during the season. After the season coaches/players have roughly 8 months to prepare for the next game.
@blazers knows there's a difference and it's not even remotely comparable. He's just trying to act like he's backing me into a corner.

We have talented guys ready to show their worth the scholarship and hopefully they can step up. What a stage to get to show what you can do. Looks like most of these guys were 4* in at least one or more recruiting websites. Coach em up coaches and see how they do.
Well, the coaches really don’t have any choice. Play on.
As long as Sam doesn’t opt out we have a chance
I just pray he comes out of this game uninjured. The Aggies are going to try to knock him out of the game.
I'm definitely disappointed / frustrated at these guys, and I suppose their legacies will be slightly tarnished in my eyes. However, they will always be Heels to me... unlike marvin austin, or larry (with)drew or a certain nutjob basketball player who must not be named.
Yep, they’re still Heels and I appreciate their contributions. They represented the University with class and took care of business in the classroom. Their legacies are diminished a bit in my mind, but there it is. I’m from a much different generation. They probably couldn’t care less about what this 60-year fan thinks of them.

Now I’m going to forget all about them and move on. Let’s see which of the young bucks steps up.

I watched some film on Henderson, Brooks and Green from high school. I feel like they can have enough success carrying the pumpkin to at least keep the defense honest. My concern will be pass protection especially picking up a blitzer and know when to leak out for a dump off when Sam needs an outlet. Typically that stuff comes with experience.

@blazers knows there's a difference and it's not even remotely comparable. He's just trying to act like he's backing me into a corner.
Big difference in the two BUT similar in ways- both involve the team/fans having to meet challenges without someone they'd like to have and expected to have while that person prematurely left for something selfish.

I'd rather lose the orange than lose to dook 25-27 like we did in 2013, and Gio as a 4th yr jr absolutely would have made a diff in that gm.

Also disappointed that Mitch left prematurely. But Gio, Mitch, nor any of those 2020 dudes are on my sh!tlist for trying to meet personal goals.

Reactions: heelfan1961
I guess it's all how folks view it but to me there is a difference in leaving after the season than during the season. After the season coaches/players have roughly 8 months to prepare for the next game.
Big difference, but I don't buy the 8 months part. Chazz legit could be hurt on the first snap and Jackson/Asante wouldn't have 8 months, they'd have 8 seconds to tighten their chinstrap and get out there.

Big difference, but I don't buy the 8 months part. Chazz legit could be hurt on the first snap and Jackson/Asante wouldn't have 8 months, they'd have 8 seconds to tighten their chinstrap and get out there.

Yep.. that could happen. I wonder what the odds would have been on both Williams and Carter getting hurt on the first drive of the game and not be able to return.

I think we are all disappointed with these guys not playing in the Orange Bowl. Doesn't make sense to most of us who would do anything to put on the uniform and play for the Tar Heels. I do think Mack makes some strong points by pointing out no one has opted out of the playoffs and if more teams were in the playoffs less players in general would opt out. That seems to be a logical approach since the players would have more exposure and see it in their best interests to play and play well.

Yep.. that could happen. I wonder what the odds would have been on both Williams and Carter getting hurt on the first drive of the game and not be able to return.
Zero, especially Javonte, how do you hurt a 220 pound bowling ball?

Regardless, I guarantee you that the backups had a specific mindset during the few days when we thought Javonte would actually stay and play. The backups weren't thinking about 8 months from now, it was 'be ready from second snap onward'.

My point isn't about Javonte being hurt, it is about about the team never really having an 8 month cushion to deal with absence.

I think we are all disappointed with these guys not playing in the Orange Bowl. Doesn't make sense to most of us who would do anything to put on the uniform and play for the Tar Heels. I do think Mack makes some strong points by pointing out no one has opted out of the playoffs and if more teams were in the playoffs less players in general would opt out. That seems to be a logical approach since the players would have more exposure and see it in their best interests to play and play well.

I dont follow this logic at all. If a player opts out because he is scared he might get hurt then what does it matter which bowl/playoff game he got hurt in? Will a NFL GM say "well.. he tore his ACL in the National Championship game so let's draft him. If he got hurt in the Music City Bowl then we would have to pass on him."

I still say the coaches should lobby the nfl to move the combine back to late spring. It is just 8 weeks from our gm. Dazz likely will finish the game and go directly to personal workouts to amp his 40 and shuttle times.

I remember jalen dalton's agent or trainer having him lose almost 20 pounds b4 the combine.

Because these decisions are made with financial interests foremost. Guys in the playoffs have a great deal of free advertisement. Yes the an orange bowl is great but the playoffs would generate much greater national exposure leading to more money in the end. Compare the Alabama running back to our two guys. I think our guys are better pro candidates but few will watch the Orange bowl compared to the playoffs.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
Because these decisions are made with financial interests foremost. Guys in the playoffs have a great deal of free advertisement. Yes the an orange bowl is great but the playoffs would generate much greater national exposure leading to more money in the end. Compare the Alabama running back to our two guys. I think our guys are better pro candidates but few will watch the Orange bowl compared to the playoffs.

So are the guys opting out because they are scared of getting hurt or not?

So are the guys opting out because they are scared of getting hurt or not?

Truthfully, I think its more for attention. The last memory everyone has of playing football from these 2 is that Miami game. They know they sit now and don't play. The entire Orange bowl they will be talking about how good the Miami game was.

Point being they have used Carolina enough they don't need them anymore so they are out.

Reactions: uncfootball-
I'm sure there is some concern over injuries, but according to Mack, these guys wanted to get a jump start on hiring agents and preparing for the combine. As someone else mentioned, it would be ideal if the combine (and maybe the draft too) were pushed back in the calendar, so that guys wouldn't feel like they needed to opt out of bowl games to get ready for it.

Reactions: blazers
I'm sure there is some concern over injuries, but according to Mack, these guys wanted to get a jump start on hiring agents and preparing for the combine. As someone else mentioned, it would be ideal if the combine (and maybe the draft too) were pushed back in the calendar, so that guys wouldn't feel like they needed to opt out of bowl games to get ready for it.

Well I dont think one week will make that much of a difference in preparing for the combine. Also there wil be several guys playing in the National Championship game which is a week after the Heels play that are projected to be first round picks. So far they have not opted out.

Gotta wonder how many guys in the locker room are actually pissed off.

I hope Dazz has like 20 catches for 8 billion yards and a dozen TD's
me too, regardless of any opting out or not opting out. We will play with what we bring and that's all that matters so far as the bowl is concerned. Beyond that, I hope that those opting out have long and successful careers and represent UNC well.

The last thing I'm going to do is criticize somebody for exercising their freedom to choose, and to act on a natural human tencency toward self-centeredness. More than anything else, I don't want to be a hypocrite who hates America, LOL.

due to Rivals' ineptitude, I can't access premium content...but I think I saw a blurb that Lawrence and Fields were opting out of their bowl. Must be contagious. Either that or prudent.

due to Rivals' ineptitude, I can't access premium content...but I think I saw a blurb that Lawrence and Fields were opting out of their bowl. Must be contagious. Either that or prudent.

I would be shocked if they opt out of the playoff. I can understand players opting out of other bowls, but not for a chance to win a title.

King left the game with an injury. I hope it's not serious, but it didn't look good.

Wakes DE carlos basham and their starting RB have both opted-out of their bowl vs wisc.

Reactions: uncboy10
What does expanding to 8 games accomplish other than having fans start wanting it expanded to 16?

Less meaningless bowl games, for starters. Also, more opportunities for deserving teams to compete for a Championship to avoid the same teams (Bama, Ohio State, Clemson) over and over and over and over and over again. NFL has a 14 team playoff and the NCAA has 4.

Good article below......"While only 3 percent of FBS teams make the College Football Playoff, 65 percent of FBS teams qualify for bowl games. While the athletic directors value the “bowl experience,” some admit the bowls resemble “exhibition-type games” as a number of high-profile NFL Draft prospects have skipped bowl games because it isn’t a playoff game and they want to avoid injuries."

If a player is concerned about getting hurt and costing him money in the NFL then ALL Bowl games including the playoffs are meaningless.

If a player is concerned about getting hurt and costing him money in the NFL then ALL Bowl games including the playoffs are meaningless.

Read the article I provided. Issue isn't opting out in championship games, it's the "exhibition" style bowl games like the f'n cheeze it bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT