ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Seth Trimble Withdraws Name From Portal, Staying at UNC

This makes me so happy. Sounds like he talked to several Carolina alums and it helped him get his mind right.

Didn't see him mentioned with any other schools when he entered the portal. Not sure he really even looked around much.
He had visited a B1G school. Only thing I had heard tho.

I hope this isnt a sign that RJ is leaving..
The sign that RJ is leaving would be the staff actively recruiting a scoring point guard or comboguard. We briefly reached out to the guy from Oregan State but didn't do much with it.

Seth doesn't fill RJ's role (or Cade Tyson's projected role.)

I hope this isnt a sign that RJ is leaving..
Since this has been in the works for a while, and the RJ prospects have been trending better in our direction, the short answer is no.

Let's say RJ does come back, that still just gives us four Guards on the roster. And given that Seth can play a small 3 if needed, there should be good minutes available.

The sign that RJ is leaving would be the staff actively recruiting a scoring point guard or comboguard. We briefly reached out to the guy from Oregan State but didn't do much with it.

Seth doesn't fill RJ's role (or Cade Tyson's projected role.)

Our intel suggests he reached out to UNC and not much came from it. From what we know, UNC hasn't pursued anyone "like RJ" in the portal.

Since this has been in the works for a while, and the RJ prospects have been trending better in our direction, the short answer is no.

Let's say RJ does come back, that still just gives us four Guards on the roster. And given that Seth can play a small 3 if needed, there should be good minutes available.
And Hubert clearly likes playing 3 guard lineups. Seth, Ryan, and Wojcik all played SF last year. None of them are small forwards.

The only true SF we played at SF was Ingram, when he slid over from his starting PF spot.

Reactions: gary-7
Well, no surprise how happy this makes me, been wondering when the announcement was going to be made, VERY HAPPY to have Seth back where he belongs!

Reactions: gary-7 and TPFKAPFS
Looking forward to seeing how the roster works itself out. Too many moving parts for me to keep up with and get emotionally tied to.

I don't think losing Trimble would've been a huge deal depending on who was brought in. But a positive that no one has to be brought in for him now.

It's really early but I'll be interested to see how roles change this coming season. You would assume that Cadeau is logging around 30 MPG next season. If RJ comes back, he'll play 33-35 MPG. Unless Seth plays some at the wing, does his role increase?

A lot has to be determined first I know. But there won't be a ton of minutes left after the starting backcourt if Cadeau/RJ/Seth are all back.

In my mind
EC = EC
RJ = RJ
Trimble = Ryan
Cade = Ingram
Withers/Washington/Asset yet to be named = Bacot

Freshman compete and eventually could supplant 1-2 starters? Do we think Powell or Jackson start eventually

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
In my mind
EC = EC
RJ = RJ
Trimble = Ryan
Cade = Ingram

Freshman compete and eventually could supplant 1-2 starters? Do we think Powell or Jackson start eventually
Yes I can roll with that. And to answer your question yes the freshmen could indeed start eventually; bad shooting nights, injuries, etc. but for KEEPS they will have to EARN it! It’s the perfect blend of experience and freshmen if you ask me.

Add a solid 5 and UNC is 🔥

In my mind
EC = EC
RJ = RJ
Trimble = Ryan
Cade = Ingram

Trimble is definitely not Ryan, who was a 3pt shooter that every team had to guard. If opposing teams refuse to guard you, then the floor isn't spaced and the offense doesn't work.

Cade is definitely not Ingram. Ingram outrebounded Bacot in ACC play. Ingram was strong enough to keep most power forwards from backing him down, and was relentless going after rebounds.

And nobody we have or will get will be equal to Bacot. He set the UNC rebounding record in 4 years. He tied David Robinson's streak of consecutive double doubles.

There won't be any equals to the players we lost. The team will be different in many ways. Right now if RJ comes back, he's our only proven 3pt shooter. Ryan and Ingram are gone. We need 3pt shooting. We need someone strong and athletic enough to match up with other starting power forwards. And with Bacot gone we need to find a physical center who can bang with other centers.

I can see Cade Tyson getting playing time at the 3, and sometimes at the 4 depending on who he's matched up with. But his defense, athleticism, strength, and rebounding are all huge question marks against ACC level talent. We're pursuing Adou Theiro bc I think the staff knows we need to find a tall athletic forward to match up with other ACC PFs.

We'll have to see what the final roster is before predicting lineups and such.

Reactions: UNCHUSKER
Looking forward to seeing how the roster works itself out. Too many moving parts for me to keep up with and get emotionally tied to.

I don't think losing Trimble would've been a huge deal depending on who was brought in. But a positive that no one has to be brought in for him now.

It's really early but I'll be interested to see how roles change this coming season. You would assume that Cadeau is logging around 30 MPG next season. If RJ comes back, he'll play 33-35 MPG. Unless Seth plays some at the wing, does his role increase?

A lot has to be determined first I know. But there won't be a ton of minutes left after the starting backcourt if Cadeau/RJ/Seth are all back.
As good as RJ was last season, we once again saw him wearing down toward the end of the season and sometimes toward the end of games. I know some people think resting him a few minutes more every game won't matter. But I'll be happy if EC, Seth and Ian are good enough that he can keep a little more in the tank by playing a little less.

Minutes aren't the whole problem that wore RJ down, of course. Having to handle the ball too much hurt, too. I'm really hoping EC takes more of that burden as a soph.

So . . . EC plays more, and handles the ball more. RJ plays less and stays fresher. That's all great, but doesn't necessarily free any minutes.

If Withers or a new guy handle PF, and Cade comes on board to play SF, that fills the minutes used by Cormac and Ingram.

Seth, Ian and Drake compete for 30-40 backup minutes at PG, SG and SF. Is that enough to keep them happy?

Of course I could be totally wrong, but it seems like a plausible scenario to me.

Trimble is definitely not Ryan, who was a 3pt shooter that every team had to guard. If opposing teams refuse to guard you, then the floor isn't spaced and the offense doesn't work.

Cade is definitely not Ingram. Ingram outrebounded Bacot in ACC play. Ingram was strong enough to keep most power forwards from backing him down, and was relentless going after rebounds.

And nobody we have or will get will be equal to Bacot. He set the UNC rebounding record in 4 years. He tied David Robinson's streak of consecutive double doubles.

There won't be any equals to the players we lost. The team will be different in many ways. Right now if RJ comes back, he's our only proven 3pt shooter. Ryan and Ingram are gone. We need 3pt shooting. We need someone strong and athletic enough to match up with other starting power forwards. And with Bacot gone we need to find a physical center who can bang with other centers.

I can see Cade Tyson getting playing time at the 3, and sometimes at the 4 depending on who he's matched up with. But his defense, athleticism, strength, and rebounding are all huge question marks against ACC level talent. We're pursuing Adou Theiro bc I think the staff knows we need to find a tall athletic forward to match up with other ACC PFs.

We'll have to see what the final roster is before predicting lineups and such.
I thought I was the pessimist here, but you have me beat. But pessimism focuses the mind, so it's a good thing.

You never have to wait to predict lineups. They just get better if you do.

PlayerPGSGSFPFCTotal
Elliot30--------30
RJ--30------30
Seth10--------10
Ian--10------10
Cade----25----25
Drake----15----15
Jae'lyn------30--30
High------10515
Jalen--------2525
Brown--------1010
Total4040404040200

I thought I was the pessimist here, but you have me beat. But pessimism focuses the mind, so it's a good thing.

Nothing pessimistic about my post. Just pointing out inaccuracies. Dude said Trimble = Ryan, and Cade = Ingram. That's just so wrong.

If I had to take a wild guess I'd say

Starters:
Cadeau
Davis
Jackson
Thiero
Transfer Center

Primary backups:
Trimble
Powell
Tyson
Withers
Washington

But there will be several players who play multiple positions, so I wouldn't begin to guess at minutes played. I assume the goal is to keep all the starters around 28 mins or less to keep them fresh.

Nothing pessimistic about my post. Just pointing out inaccuracies. Dude said Trimble = Ryan, and Cade = Ingram. That's just so wrong.

If I had to take a wild guess I'd say

Starters:
Cadeau
Davis
Jackson
Thiero
Transfer Center

Primary backups:
Trimble
Powell
Tyson
Withers
Washington

But there will be several players who play multiple positions, so I wouldn't begin to guess at minutes played. I assume the goal is to keep all the starters around 28 mins or less to keep them fresh.
OK, you're not a pessimist. Not if you think we're getting Tyson, Thiero and a starting center from the portal.

It's hard for me to see Ian at SF. Might be good enough but Drake has better size. I'd start Tyson if we get him.

Also hard for me to imagine Tyson coming here to come off the bench.

That said, I really like your second string.

OK, you're not a pessimist. Not if you think we're getting Tyson, Thiero and a starting center from the portal.

It's hard for me to see Ian at SF. Might be good enough but Drake has better size. I'd start Tyson if we get him.

Also hard for me to imagine Tyson coming here to come off the bench.

That said, I really like your second string.
Ian is about the same height as Cormac, with longer arms. His offensive game is ridiculous. And scouts were raving about his 3pt shooting improvement during the week leading up to the McD Game.

Drake gives me Theo vibes. Do everything, big time winner, probably going to need some time to become a consistent scorer at this level.

Tyson is an elite shooter with the height to play both forward spots. But I have major questions about how the rest of his game will translate when he's up against ACC caliber athletes. Remember last year everyone was raving about Nick Timberlake because he could shoot and dunk on people, and in the end he only averaged 15 mins and 5 points for KU. And Timberlake is way more athletic than Tyson, and he was a 6th year player. The good thing about Tyson is he's only a sophomore. He has 2 years of eligibility left. I think his decision won't just be based on a one year plan. Plus, he'll see just how desperate we are for shooters, and that there are minutes to be had at both the 3 and 4 spots. And even more minutes available his senior year.

It's also entirely possible that we will see a lot of fluctuation with the perimeter spots from game to game, playing the hot hand or the best matchup.

What I would love is full court pressing teams and running them into the ground, giving our top 9 - 10 guys lots of action.

Well, no surprise how happy this makes me, been wondering when the announcement was going to be made, VERY HAPPY to have Seth back where he belongs!
I am already seeing some lineup speculation ITT that I am reasonably sure is off base, so let me add something that I think you in particular will appreciate:

Once I got wind that Seth may be returning, the draw for that was NOT an indicator of RJ leaving (as many feared), it was about getting more opportunities here, even with RJ returning. One of the motivations for Seth testing the portal in the first place was looking for an opportunity somewhere to play some at the 1.

It is my hope that he gets to add that to his repertoire as EC's primary backup, in addition to the minutes he'll play at he other perimeter positions. Happily, I am told that this is indeed part of the plan for him this coming season. PG may not come naturally to him, but he works diligently to do what he is taught, and he has the experience to pull it off in backup minutes.

Again, I hope that works out, as TBH, it wouldn't hurt my feeiings if RJ didn't have to worry about playing PG at all --- let him get some real blows for a change.

Ian is about the same height as Cormac, with longer arms. His offensive game is ridiculous. And scouts were raving about his 3pt shooting improvement during the week leading up to the McD Game.

Drake gives me Theo vibes. Do everything, big time winner, probably going to need some time to become a consistent scorer at this level.

Tyson is an elite shooter with the height to play both forward spots. But I have major questions about how the rest of his game will translate when he's up against ACC caliber athletes. Remember last year everyone was raving about Nick Timberlake because he could shoot and dunk on people, and in the end he only averaged 15 mins and 5 points for KU. And Timberlake is way more athletic than Tyson, and he was a 6th year player. The good thing about Tyson is he's only a sophomore. He has 2 years of eligibility left. I think his decision won't just be based on a one year plan. Plus, he'll see just how desperate we are for shooters, and that there are minutes to be had at both the 3 and 4 spots. And even more minutes available his senior year.

It's also entirely possible that we will see a lot of fluctuation with the perimeter spots from game to game, playing the hot hand or the best matchup.

What I would love is full court pressing teams and running them into the ground, giving our top 9 - 10 guys lots of action.
With RJ and Trimble back, and especially if we land Tyson, I worry about minutes for our 5-star freshmen. Will they get enough to want to stick with UNC as sophomores? I don't want another Kessler experience.

If we whiff on Tyson - or if you're right and he's OK with coming off the bench his first year here - then we have the minutes. But we also have a pretty short team (and no Ingram to make it up in power).

Either way, we could still use a quality big. That doesn't impact guard minutes.

Ouch

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT