ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Seth Trimble Withdraws Name From Portal, Staying at UNC

In the 4 seasons that Leaky Black was a starter, our highest NCAA Tournament seed was #9 and two times we missed the NCAA Tournament. Those teams weren't all that good and part of it was because we had an extremely limited offensive player at the wing. Of course, there were several other factors, but Leaky was part of 4 somewhat limited teams.

I don't personally credit Leaky a ton for the 2022 run to the Finals. We made 13 3's against Marquette, 11 3's against Baylor, Caleb Love basically took over against UCLA, St. Peter's was a 15 seed. He made timely buckets against Duke though. During that 2022 run, I honestly think Leaky was the 5th most valuable player during that run.

Part of the 2022-23 disaster was because Leaky was so offensively limited on a roster that couldn't shoot the ball the entire season.

I don't think two #9 seeds in 4 full time starting seasons helps the Leaky argument much.
I think basically you just just more or less indicated that our underperforming was NOT Leaky's fault, while completely neglecting his defensive contribution, and ignoring that I said that Trimble had better offensive upside.. Maybe it's just me.

its a guard's game. proctor and foster do not scare a soul
We don't know what Foster will be. Proctor is not anywhere near the offensive player Dook thought he would become, but he is a terrific College defensive player.
R.J. Davis would certainly agree with that.
Dook is still looking for 1 more guard I believe.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We don't know what Foster will be. Proctor is not anywhere near the offensive player Dook thought he would become, but he is a terrific College defensive player.
R.J. Davis would certainly agree with that.
Dook is still looking for 1 more guard I believe.
I think they want Bria, likely to get him, we don't have a spot for him.

I think they want Bria, likely to get him, we don't have a spot for him.
Bria is a nice piece, but I am not sure he is what their guard Corp is lacking. I don't think they have any downhill guards in their backcourt.
Now what they might be thinking, is to let Flagg initiate the offense from the point forward position and just surround him with 3 shooters and a dunker.
Ala LeBron James

While I know there will be an announcement literally at any minute that Tyson is officially a Tar Heel, I really wish we had gone hard for Griffiths from bama, kid is solid on both ends or simply trusted that Jack and Drake could cover our 3 spot and roll on, especially with Seth now back.
We will be quite good at the 3, and honestly. I would be suspicious of anyone coming outta that toxic bama culture.

Last edited:
no, sorry.

As I like to point out, I'm no BB expert. So when a player starts to make some move and even I immediately think 'no, what are you doing?', it's probably not good regardless of the result.

Kids playing pickup games have that kind of whatever. These aren't pickup games and that sort of whatever is what coaches are trying to discipline out of them, because the result matters.

Hey I get it. I really do!

And of course results matters. Most importantly in real life - results matters.

I agree with you 1000% that he shouldn’t have taken that shot. All I was saying was at least the BigNut had the freaking balls to take it. ((BigNut/Littlenut~RWilliams))

Hey that game is in the pass. Done. It was a learnable moment, a great coaching opportunity, or if you prefer…it was a chance for some type of constructive-discipline.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Last edited:
Hey I get it. I really do!

And of course results matters. Most importantly in real life - results matters.

I agree with you 1000% that he shouldn’t have taken that shot. All I was saying was at least the BigNut had the freaking balls to take it. ((BigNut/Littlenut~RWilliams))

Hey that game is in the pass. Done. It was a learnable moment, a great coaching opportunity, or if you prefer…it was a chance for some type of constructive-discipline.

Agree to disagree I guess.
you keep saying he had the balls to take it like that's a good thing while agreeing with me that it was NOT a good thing for his balls to override his brain. You don't have to pick just one but it would make more sense to me if you did. At any rate, I agree to agree to disagree or agree or both depending on what you agree to disagree or agree with.

you keep saying he had the balls to take it like that's a good thing while agreeing with me that it was NOT a good thing for his balls to override his brain. You don't have to pick just one but it would make more sense to me if you did. At any rate, I agree to agree to disagree or agree or both depending on what you agree to disagree or agree with.
Yeah, it’s great that he had the balls to take the shot. It would have been even better if he’d had the brain to know he shouldn’t. That epitomizes our American society today, we value balls over brains.

Yeah, it’s great that he had the balls to take the shot. It would have been even better if he’d had the brain to know he shouldn’t. That epitomizes our American society today, we value balls over brains.
bingo

I think basically you just just more or less indicated that our underperforming was NOT Leaky's fault, while completely neglecting his defensive contribution, and ignoring that I said that Trimble had better offensive upside.. Maybe it's just me.
I would never blame a single player for a lack of team success, but Leaky's offensive limitations played a part of a team that was pretty mediocre offensively for 3 of Leaky's 4 starting seasons.

Although he was a good individual defender, we were never all that good defensively with Leaky as a starter. UNC ranked in the top 30 in defense once in Leaky's 4 starting seasons. And probably not coincidentally, that was the year we had 2 1st round NBA big guys along with Bacot and Brooks. Apart from that year, we ranked 96th, 33rd, and 44th in defensive efficiency when Leaky started.

Having 1-way players hurts your team unless you are really talented and have a roster full of 2-way players around him.

I would never blame a single player for a lack of team success, but Leaky's offensive limitations played a part of a team that was pretty mediocre offensively for 3 of Leaky's 4 starting seasons.

Although he was a good individual defender, we were never all that good defensively with Leaky as a starter. UNC ranked in the top 30 in defense once in Leaky's 4 starting seasons. And probably not coincidentally, that was the year we had 2 1st round NBA big guys along with Bacot and Brooks. Apart from that year, we ranked 96th, 33rd, and 44th in defensive efficiency when Leaky started.

Having 1-way players hurts your team unless you are really talented and have a roster full of 2-way players around him.
but again, what I'm getting is how much Leaky was NOT a detriment. I'm seeing that it was the team as a whole that performed poorly. That means four other players had 4/5 of the effect while Leaky only had 1/5. I'm wondering, for example, what our defensive rank might have been without Leaky's prowess.

Bottom line, I believe Seth will be a valuable contributor just as I believe Leaky was. Either way, I appreciate your argument.

This discussion is about an individual. The comparison to Leaky (an iconic Heel) was in reference to a similar defensive ability and impact! The fact that a team was not successful in the past does not negate the awesome impact of a defensive stopper. I saw Leaky totally frustrate peeps and give his team a chance to win. I've seen Seth put the clamps on peeps and remove one of the opponent's weapons!

I maintain that removing a weapon is equally impactful as being one would be!

AND the notion that a player who worked his tail off for the Family and then felt like he had to leave would not be a "big loss" flies in the face of the concept of Family! Bad form!

• Love
Reactions: bluetoe
This discussion is about an individual. The comparison to Leaky (an iconic Heel) was in reference to a similar defensive ability and impact! The fact that a team was not successful in the past does not negate the awesome impact of a defensive stopper. I saw Leaky totally frustrate peeps and give his team a chance to win. I've seen Seth put the clamps on peeps and remove one of the opponent's weapons!

I maintain that removing a weapon is equally impactful as being one would be!

AND the notion that a player who worked his tail off for the Family and then felt like he had to leave would not be a "big loss" flies in the face of the concept of Family! Bad form!
🤣Guys like Leaky, Seth, Kenny Williams, Jackie Manual and others are examples of players that excelled on the defensive end but where not great scorers. It is funny, we build statures for guys that score big numbers, we worship those guys but the guys that specialize as shut down defenders don't seem to be appreciated like they should.

Basketball is a simple game when you boil it all down, you score and you don't let the other team score, it is that simple. Fans will look at a kid that scores 20pts a game for us as a God and never notice the same kid is allowing 24pts a game on the other end. Funny how that works?

🤣Guys like Leaky, Seth, Kenny Williams, Jackie Manual and others are examples of players that excelled on the defensive end but where not great scorers. It is funny, we build statures for guys that score big numbers, we worship those guys but the guys that specialize as shut down defenders don't seem to be appreciated like they should.

Basketball is a simple game when you boil it all down, you score and you don't let the other team score, it is that simple. Fans will look at a kid that scores 20pts a game for us as a God and never notice the same kid is allowing 24pts a game on the other end. Funny how that works?
so excellent. The coach who understands this and takes advantage of the skills he is dealt will succeed. The only goal is to have more points than the other team when the game ends, and to that end limiting the other teams ability to score is as helpful as your own scoring. Having a defensive stopper is like being dealt a wild card, IMO.

THE LACK OF PLAYING TIME AGAINST ALABAMA IN NCAA TOURNAMENT​

"I didn't have a problem with it. I wanted to be in the game, but I'm man enough to say that they played off of me and played off of Elliot. That was the main reason why Elliot and I weren't in at the end of the game. Paxson (Wojcik) came in and hit a huge shot. We needed the spacing, and we took away some of that space in the Alabama game. I didn't take any offense to that. That's not why I entered the portal."

THE LACK OF PLAYING TIME AGAINST ALABAMA IN NCAA TOURNAMENT​

"I didn't have a problem with it. I wanted to be in the game, but I'm man enough to say that they played off of me and played off of Elliot. That was the main reason why Elliot and I weren't in at the end of the game. Paxson (Wojcik) came in and hit a huge shot. We needed the spacing, and we took away some of that space in the Alabama game. I didn't take any offense to that. That's not why I entered the portal."
Wow. Not only an adult response but very well said. Kudos to Seth.

Reactions: bluetoe
so excellent. The coach who understands this and takes advantage of the skills he is dealt will succeed. The only goal is to have more points than the other team when the game ends, and to that end limiting the other teams ability to score is as helpful as your own scoring. Having a defensive stopper is like being dealt a wild card, IMO.

Fun video. Thanks.

I look forward to AI getting good enough to clean up these great old games. Wouldn't that be nice? There are plenty of old games I'd love to watch.

But you would NEVER blame a single player for a lack of team success???👀

Fun video. Thanks.

I look forward to AI getting good enough to clean up these great old games. Wouldn't that be nice? There are plenty of old games I'd love to watch.
there are higher quality vids of this on youtube, but they are a little extended. I just wanted to highlight that defensive gem. But I agree, there are some old recordings that are difficult to watch because of the poor quality that I would dearly love to see cleaned up. Even more than that, I wish there was an archive of everything Heels related

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT