ADVERTISEMENT

Bubba screws up again

Just curious, UNC lost to Clemson by 1 with Mack and staff — Louisville list to Clemson by 35... Now I know it’s hard to compare games vs common opponents for various reasons but why would we think Satterfield would of made us better then we are with Mack this year??
football math indicates Mack is doing a better job... :D

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Well, it looks like that lousy coach Bubba picked...

Has gotten commitments from 5 of the top 10 in-state kids (per 247). And Just locked down the no. 2 player in the nation (per espn).

These continued wins in recruiting against the big boys (Clemson, Bama, etc) has UNC football on the path to becoming a serious contender for ACC championships & playoff berths a few years down the road.

Whatcha think @Xlance ?
Well, it looks like that lousy coach Bubba picked...

Has gotten commitments from 5 of the top 10 in-state kids (per 247). And Just locked down the no. 2 player in the nation (per espn).

These continued wins in recruiting against the big boys (Clemson, Bama, etc) has UNC football on the path to becoming a serious contender for ACC championships & playoff berths a few years down the road.

Whatcha think @Xlance ?

After the plethora of coaching blunders made yesterday, you dare ask?

Yes, there were coaching gaffes for sure, but players didn't execute either... dropped passes, a missed (easy) FG in 3rd OT that would've won the game, etc.

To be honest, I like Satterfield alot. But I still think Mack was the better choice at this time. He loves UNC, and wants to get us back to a high level. He and the staff have recruited so well right out of the gate that we will have the talent and depth we need to compete a high level soon.

In about 5 years, if Satterfield has proven himself, I'd love to have him take over for Mack.

Mack was the right choice at the time. And for a variety of reasons. Some that dont have anything to do with the football field. Make was a good fit. He says the right things and makes folks feel good. And he can recruit. And that is the lifeblood of a good program. UNC needed that stable voice to convince everyone to get on board and support the program that would improve. Nobody better than that than Mack. Satterfield is a good coach. But at this time, Mack was the best choice UNC couldnhave made.

Yes, there were coaching gaffes for sure, but players didn't execute either... dropped passes, a missed (easy) FG in 3rd OT that would've won the game, etc.

To be honest, I like Satterfield alot. But I still think Mack was the better choice at this time. He loves UNC, and wants to get us back to a high level. He and the staff have recruited so well right out of the gate that we will have the talent and depth we need to compete a high level soon.

In about 5 years, if Satterfield has proven himself, I'd love to have him take over for Mack.
I like Mack Brown, too. But, I'm afraid Mack Brown is well beyond his prime in terms of actually coaching football GAMES. The choice is made and it's not really worth arguing over at this point. Frankly, Satterfield may have not wanted to come to UNC. Like it or not, UNC football has a culture of losing. App State is a program that usually wins. Mack Brown took 10 years getting UNC to a winning culture. He was in his prime at that time. I just feel like the hire was out of desperation, or... I dunno. It's hard to say, really. I hope Mack Brown can push the trajectory back to winning. I never expect UNC to win a a football game... ever. I'm not the most patient person at this point. We'll see.

Mack was the right choice at the time. And for a variety of reasons. Some that dont have anything to do with the football field. Make was a good fit. He says the right things and makes folks feel good. And he can recruit. And that is the lifeblood of a good program. UNC needed that stable voice to convince everyone to get on board and support the program that would improve. Nobody better than that than Mack. Satterfield is a good coach. But at this time, Mack was the best choice UNC couldnhave made.
I will concede that, apparently the consensus is that he can recruit. And, you definitely need the talent.

And as always you never answer or have a logical rebuttal for anyone that points out the stupidity of almost every post you make. You were doing better just staying out of the thread.

Reactions: UNC '92
I will concede that, apparently the consensus is that he can recruit. And, you definitely need the talent.
And therein lies the reason we needed Mack more at this time. If he can continue stringing together great recruiting classes, the Heels will be winning the Coastal and playing for ACC titles within a few seasons. IF we are on that path, I feel Bubba will hire us a real coach to continue what Mack has started.

If only we had kept Mack, or hired a real coach 20 years ago, we might be looking at decades of football relevancy, but dicky b. screwed us up royally.

And therein lies the reason we needed Mack more at this time. If he can continue stringing together great recruiting classes, the Heels will be winning the Coastal and playing for ACC titles within a few seasons. IF we are on that path, I feel Bubba will hire us a real coach to continue what Mack has started.

If only we had kept Mack, or hired a real coach 20 years ago, we might be looking at decades of football relevancy, but dicky b. screwed us up royally.
When you lose games like yesterday, recruiting gets much harder. It helps if you can spot unique talent that others can't. But, where is the incentive to play for a team that loses games like the one yesterday. Don't you think?

It's not just recruiting that Mack is great at. It's the off the field stuff too. Things like making the money guys feel good, encouraging fan support, making the press feel good, etc. I think people underestimate the importance of that stuff and how it impacts a program. Fed was horrible at all of that and it was a big part of his downfall.

When you lose games like yesterday, recruiting gets much harder. It helps if you can spot unique talent that others can't. But, where is the incentive to play for a team that loses games like the one yesterday. Don't you think?
Not in year one it doesn't. We're still getting big recruits after losing to app state. Losing a game in OT at lane stadium isn't going to change anything.

Not in year one it doesn't. We're still getting big recruits after losing to app state. Losing a game in OT at lane stadium isn't going to change anything.
I agree. I dont think we'll lose too much recruiting steam this year, as Mack is building excitement for the coming seasons. He can sell it to kids that if they join us, we will be winning all these close games that we've lost with decent talent and no depth. There are lots of minutes available for highly rated players.

One of the more interesting things to come from those coaching blunders is that many people think Mack was rather terse with Longo about his playcalling. Fedora took umbrage at even the whiff of anybody being bothered by the Ds under Koenning. If Mack himself during games is willing to get direct with a coordinator, then he might now (he was not before) be the type to make changes before a problem grows

One of the more interesting things to come from those coaching blunders is that many people think Mack was rather terse with Longo about his playcalling. Fedora took umbrage at even the whiff of anybody being bothered by the Ds under Koenning. If Mack himself during games is willing to get direct with a coordinator, then he might now (he was not before) be the type to make changes before a problem grows

He may want to have discussions with Scott Boone too.

Maybe we should hire Monken as an offensive coordinator and run a real offense instead of this girly air raid nonsense.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Brady took a 3 star quarterback transfer and helped him become a Heisman candidate.
That's a part of my point about Brady. Getting him as OC (not the Passing game OC under the OC) now could be a coup as big as ECU and then OU getting Lincoln Riley.

I'm not sure how valid some of this talk about "coaching gaffs" is. It is easy to say, "well, given this we should have done this." But as we all know, if a play works the coach is a genius; if it doesn't, he's an idiot. And no matter what play is called, the players, not the coaches, have to execute.

I'm not sure how valid some of this talk about "coaching gaffs" is. It is easy to say, "well, given this we should have done this." But as we all know, if a play works the coach is a genius; if it doesn't, he's an idiot. And no matter what play is called, the players, not the coaches, have to execute.
What if I told you that our offensive numbers this year are virtually identical to last years?

Ok, just curious. I would hope that at least we are doing better there.. We certainly need to, as keeping a thin D off the field as much as possible is preferred.
Without looking, I would say we have gotten away from a good TOP since the season started. We seem to be ‘air raiding’ it more and more.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Without looking, I would say we have gotten away from a good TOP since the season started. We seem to be ‘air raiding’ it more and more.
our rb's are really good and deserve more carries. also, i think w'ere putting too much pressure on a freshman QB. but the offensive line has not been playing that well since losing polino and his leadership. they're a little better at pass protection than run blocking, maybe that's why we're air raiding so much.

Reactions: heelfan1961
I for one was never "mad" at Mack for taking the Texas job. I'm not convinced he really wanted to leave. He did what was best for his career at the time. I'm sure there are facts I may not be aware of, but I still believe that if our AD at the time had listened to Mack and not been such a "Dean Smith sycophant" Mack would have stayed and retired here. We were well on the way to becoming a perennial top 10-top 5 power. I don't want to use the word "guilt," but I agree with those who have said that Mack came back hoping to undo the damage and get the program back to where it was when he left.

I for one was never "mad" at Mack for taking the Texas job. I'm not convinced he really wanted to leave. He did what was best for his career at the time. I'm sure there are facts I may not be aware of, but I still believe that if our AD at the time had listened to Mack and not been such a "Dean Smith sycophant" Mack would have stayed and retired here. We were well on the way to becoming a perennial top 10-top 5 power. I don't want to use the word "guilt," but I agree with those who have said that Mack came back hoping to undo the damage and get the program back to where it was when he left.
I agree with you. I think Mack would have preferred to stay, for several reasons. But Baddour did the bidding of those who got him the AD job, and they did not want Mack given inducements to remain.

And the result was that UNC went from being a couple of top recruits on each side of the ball short of being able to topple FSU and win the ACC, which could have meant playing for a National Championship, to mediocrity that often dipped into something much worse.

Regardless, our program is light years ahead of last year's program. We are recruiting on a much higher level. We have rebuilt the bridges between NC high school coaches and our program. We are more fundamentally sound, we're tackling better, with much fewer penalties, and there is a renewed sense of enthusiasm surrounding the program. This may wind up being the best defensive class we've ever amassed at UNC, hell it might already be.

As much as I promoted Satterfield as our next HC, and I still believe he will be very successful, I now agree that Mack was the perfect intermediary coach to rebuild bonds with high school coaches and fans alike and generate enthusiasm for the next step in the process. In a nutshell, the future is looking very bright for UNC football. For that I am very thankful.

Last edited:
there's a lot of football left to play before we evaluate this season. winning out means an 8-4 record, wins against dook, uva, and ncsu, and a nice bowl game. that would heal up some wounds from the past (including last week's disappointment.)

there's a lot of football left to play before we evaluate this season. winning out means an 8-4 record, wins against dook, uva, and ncsu, and a nice bowl game. that would heal up some wounds from the past (including last week's disappointment.)
A lot of business left to take care of. I want to beat dook and State so much I can't stand it, and UVA is leading the conference by a half game over Pitt. The Coastal is still mathematically within our grasp, if we can win out.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
A lot of business left to take care of. I want to beat dook and State so much I can't stand it, and UVA is leading the conference by a half game over Pitt. The Coastal is still mathematically within our grasp, if we can win out.
I would be shocked if we get more than 2 wins the rest of the way out. Virginia, Pitt, and Duke are all much better than VT. We are very thin on defense with basically no one coming back of note.

I would be shocked if we get more than 2 wins the rest of the way out. Virginia, Pitt, and Duke are all much better than VT. We are very thin on defense with basically no one coming back of note.
Not so sure about that. But they are all very capable of beating us, without a doubt.

And yes, we are thin on defense, no doubt about that. Still, I think we are capable of beating everyone left on our schedule. Sooner or later, we're going to start winning these close games. I mean we've lost 4 games by a total of 12 points, and had the lead midway through the 4th quarter in 3 of those 4 losses. We're that close to being 6-1.

But like Mack said, we're still learning how to win those close games. It's painful to lose close games like that but it's preferable to getting blown out. Silver lining?

iu

Not so sure about that. But they are all very capable of beating us, without a doubt.

And yes, we are thin on defense, no doubt about that. Still, I think we are capable of beating everyone left on our schedule. Sooner or later, we're going to start winning these close games. I mean we've lost 4 games by a total of 12 points, and had the lead midway through the 4th quarter in 3 of those 4 losses. We're that close to being 6-1.

But like Mack said, we're still learning how to win those close games. It's painful to lose close games like that but it's preferable to getting blown out. Silver lining?

iu
We could win out. And we also could beat Mercer and lose to everybody else.

The D is terribly thin. Lawless and Taylor are not playing at all. Gill plays a little bit and achieves little. Both Vohasek and Tomari Fox are doing less than they did earlier.

Surratt is easily the best LB. Tomon Fox is somewhat disappointing. Lawler is definitely disappointing. No depth at LB either.

The secondary has been depleted by injuries, leaving it with no depth whatsoever.

Nobody has stepped up on the OL. Montilus has regressed and lost the starting job. Only 6 are playing on the OL.

Those are all potentially major issues that could derail a team.

We need to win 6 to get a bowl just for more practice time to lead into Spring.

And the more I think about it, the more I would like to see us add a Grad transfer DT and a Grad transfer OT.

What if I told you that our offensive numbers this year are virtually identical to last years?

I'd consider that a win, since last year's coach was supposedly an offensive guru and now we have a more balanced approach. Since we're giving up a good amount less points per game on defense, if we can do the same on offense that's a step in the right direction.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
ADVERTISEMENT