ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Wake Forest game thread

Glad to see Justin McKoy get more minutes tonight. He's solid defensively, rebounds, hits free throws and does not turn the ball over. He really should get more minutes each game. I would also like to see more Tyler Nickel for three point shooting. Also, would like to try rotating Styles more to shut down physical guards and small forwards with his athleticism.

I could not disagree with this more! He’s not an ACC caliber player & we were basically playing 4 against 5 for the first 6 minutes of the 2nd half.

You're welcome to disagree, however wrong you may be. As long as one of our five contributes defensively and otherwise, who cares? Name one team anywhere that has all five team members on the floor contributing offensively, defensively, etc. We can not contribute one thing last night where Justin hurt the team with his minutes. As a matter of fact, he didn't shot 3-15, with 4 turnovers. Please, let's give credit where it is due. Justin can contribute more to the team when Leaky, Nance and Puff are not on the floor.

How many years were we playing 4 on 5 with Leaky, before he developed? Prior to last year, he could only hit layups and dunks. He is and has always been a defensive stopper for us. Last night, he found his shot (thank God)!!! Let's stop pretending that Justin as a role player can not make positive contributions to the team. Besides, not knowing the status of Nance, I can assure you that we will be seeing a lot more of Justin in the near future. Count on it.

It was a message to the team, Hubert was smart enough to get him out before it bit him in the ass lol.
Message to most of the team EXCEPT for you know who, who could literally not make any amount of mistakes or lack of hustle or performance worthy of him being put on the bench for even one minute.

I swear if Caleb played close enough defense to ever foul out I think HD would beg the officials to grant Caleb some extra fouls above 5 - just so HD could hold up his commitment to never have Caleb leave the court no matter what.

That is about where we are with HD and Love relationship. A total team buzzkill.

I literally lol when the announcers even said something about Caleb’s green light. This, after playing horribly but yet shooting the ball three possessions in a row, with missed of course. SMH
And the announcers gushing to a vomit inducing level about how much courage and guts and balls it takes to keep jacking up wild backboard breaking or airball brick after brick.

Really? If you’re ensured there will NEVER be one single consequence for playing lazy and selfish and poor performance - how does that take courage to keep it up knowing you are literally untouchable regarding benching / consequences?

Just a stupid comment. Guts and courage would be jacking it up knowing next shot or defensive assignment you missed parked you on bench for five game minutes. (I know - crazy talk for HD / CL “relationship” right? )

We can not contribute one thing last night where Justin hurt the team with his minutes.
Actually we can, and it has been explained to you multiple times. For his entire stretch of playing time in the 2nd half, Wake Forest put Justin McKoy into pick and roll EVERY POSSESSION because he could not guard it. The result was our defense broke down every time and Wake got an easy basket. The announcers pointed it out, I've pointed it out, other posters have pointed it out.

At this point I'm just going to assume you are either a member of the McKoy family, or you don't understand what you're watching in the game. But the Wake Forest coach targeted McKoy specifically and Hubert had to bench him to stop the Wake Forest offense.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Message to most of the team EXCEPT for you know who, who could literally not make any amount of mistakes or lack of hustle or performance worthy of him being put on the bench for even one minute.

I swear if Caleb played close enough defense to ever foul out I think HD would beg the officials to grant Caleb some extra fouls above 5 - just so HD could hold up his commitment to never have Caleb leave the court no matter what.

That is about where we are with HD and Love relationship. A total team buzzkill.
There is truth to this no doubt, but we will not come anywhere close to our stated goals without Caleb Love moving forward.
Friday vs Pitt, he should have be sat down.
Last night, he just struggled with his offense, he gave energy and effort on defense. Coach has got to give him time to get out of this slump, and the best time to do that is in winnable home games. Hopefully he will find his game Saturday vs ND leading into Virginia game.

You're welcome to disagree, however wrong you may be. As long as one of our five contributes defensively and otherwise, who cares? Name one team anywhere that has all five team members on the floor contributing offensively, defensively, etc. We can not contribute one thing last night where Justin hurt the team with his minutes. As a matter of fact, he didn't shot 3-15, with 4 turnovers. Please, let's give credit where it is due. Justin can contribute more to the team when Leaky, Nance and Puff are not on the floor.

How many years were we playing 4 on 5 with Leaky, before he developed? Prior to last year, he could only hit layups and dunks. He is and has always been a defensive stopper for us. Last night, he found his shot (thank God)!!! Let's stop pretending that Justin as a role player can not make positive contributions to the team. Besides, not knowing the status of Nance, I can assure you that we will be seeing a lot more of Justin in the near future. Count on it.
Other than being abused by switch offs and drive buys from the Wake guards you mean?

And the announcers gushing to a vomit inducing level about how much courage and guts and balls it takes to keep jacking up wild backboard breaking or airball brick after brick.

Really? If you’re ensured there will NEVER be one single consequence for playing lazy and selfish and poor performance - how does that take courage to keep it up knowing you are literally untouchable regarding benching / consequences?

Just a stupid comment. Guts and courage would be jacking it up knowing next shot or defensive assignment you missed parked you on bench for five game minutes. (I know - crazy talk for HD / CL “relationship” right? )
Oh I get it. And I can’t remember exactly what Childers said but I almost took it as it was a joke. He definitely didn’t like it. He was a baller with the same green light for sure. I’m laughing during games now , just trying to figure out subs patters and who gets to play. Lol

Reactions: Heelicious
Mr. Chapelle, maybe you are better at telling jokes than understanding basketball yourself. For the record, I played several varsity sports in high school and college (basketball, baseball, football and I ran track. I come from a family of multi sports athletes. I was also fortunate enough to coach football, baseball and basketball on the middle and high school levels. No, I'm not related to Justin or anyone on the Carolina team.

My first cousin Steve Wilson played for the Dallas Cowboys and Denver Broncos. Steve also was the head coach for Howard University's football team and a few other college football teams, as well as a semi-pro team. My other first Cousin Richard Sligh another cousin played pro football with Oakland Raiders. He was an AFC Champion and was once famously known as the tallest player in the NFL at 7ft. tall.

At this point, I am going to assume that you have never played a varsity sport. Intramurals is probably your comfort zone. As a former coach and athlete of several sports, I am fully aware of what it takes to compete, win and lose in sports. I totally understand basketball as a former point guard. Needless to say, I have experienced many wins and losses, but grew up playing sports year round, because in my days, you were required to play multiple sports in order to play the sports that you loved most.

I am probably three times your age. So, I will discontinue this debate with you. Let's agree to disagree. Check the next three to four games; I promise that Justin will get more playing time. He probably played over 13 minutes last night. He clearly wasn't the reason why Wake Forest scored or kept the game close. Unfortunately, Caleb had a nightmare of game that kept the game closer than expected.

By the way, the great Art Chansky has an article on Tarheel Times today that praises Justin McKoy's play last night. Apparently, he agrees with Coach Davis and me that Justin will probably earn more playing time. Is Art Chansky also someone that has no idea about basketball, like Coach Davis and me too?

Mr. Chapelle, maybe you are better at telling jokes than understanding basketball yourself. For the record, I played several varsity sports in high school and college (basketball, baseball, football and I ran track. I come from a family of multi sports athletes. I was also fortunate enough to coach football, baseball and basketball on the middle and high school levels. No, I'm not related to Justin or anyone on the Carolina team.

My first cousin Steve Wilson played for the Dallas Cowboys and Denver Broncos. Steve also was the head coach for Howard University's football team and a few other college football teams, as well as a semi-pro team. My other first Cousin Richard Sligh another cousin played pro football with Oakland Raiders. He was an AFC Champion and was once famously known as the tallest player in the NFL at 7ft. tall.

At this point, I am going to assume that you have never played a varsity sport. Intramurals is probably your comfort zone. As a former coach and athlete of several sports, I am fully aware of what it takes to compete, win and lose in sports. I totally understand basketball as a former point guard. Needless to say, I have experienced many wins and losses, but grew up playing sports year round, because in my days, you were required to play multiple sports in order to play the sports that you loved most.

I am probably three times your age. So, I will discontinue this debate with you. Let's agree to disagree. Check the next three to four games; I promise that Justin will get more playing time. He probably played over 13 minutes last night. He clearly wasn't the reason why Wake Forest scored or kept the game close. Unfortunately, Caleb had a nightmare of game that kept the game closer than expected.
Are you ever, at any point, going to address the fact that Wake Forest specifically targeted Justin McKoy in pick and roll, every single possession in the second half, in order to score easily, until Hubert Davis sat him down for the rest of the game?

You're not "discontinuing the debate" because you never participated in the debate to begin with. You've been avoiding it the whole thread. Either because you don't understand what Steve Forbes was doing to take advantage of McKoy, or because you are afraid to admit you're wrong.

So here is your last chance Al Bundy. No one cares about your touchdowns for Polk High. We are asking you a very straight forward question. Will you address the fact that Justin McKoy's pick and roll defense was so bad, that every possession he was on the floor in the 2nd half Wake Forest specifically put him in a high pick and roll to break down our defense to score easily?

Other than being abused by switch offs and drive buys from the Wake guards you mean?
He won't address it. He'd rather talk about anything than the actual basketball game that occurred last night. He's gone out of his way to avoid talking about the actual in-game situations that occurred last night. Read through all his pointless crap he's posted. Can you find a single post where he discusses Wake Forest targeting McKoy in 2nd half pick and rolls? Or McKoy failing to close out on Monsanto? Or McKoy falling for pump fakes from a slow 6'11" guy and getting blown by from the 3pt line?

You need new material Chappelle. The Al Bundy skit is really out of your league. Will you admit that you have never played a varsity sport in your life? I have varsity letters. Do you? Heck, even Andrew Jones has a podcast on 3 Things - UNC Grinds Out Win over Wake Forest that verifies my point. Get over it. Stick to jokes. Can everyone that knows sports all be wrong and not you? Art Chansky, Andrew Jones, Coach Davis and me can't all be wrong. Somewhere along the way, please let those with experience have this one.

Reactions: IDUNK4HEELS
I'll dig out my varsity jacket and post a picture when I get home just to spite your sad, ignorant ass.

The fact you aren't even capable of discussing the actual basketball game is just sad. I don't know if you're a troll, or just painfully ignorant about the game of basketball. Either way, you have embarrassed yourself. You can't figure out how to analyze and discuss pick and roll defense, so you start rambling on about sports you played 60 years ago.

I had written this squad off early in the season for their lack of drive, lack of grit and the defensive lapses and ME ME ME first offensive mentality. I decided at the half to stay up - I get up for work at 6 so games that come on at 9pm during the week kinda suck.

I stayed up and the team was fabulous defensively. We fought we scrapped and we played as a team.... RJ finding his form from late last season didn't hurt. I was proud of seeing Leakey step up and shoulder this team and I hope he has found himself as a player with those skills and his length will be looking at the league next year- consistent legit scoring was his missing piece so hopefully that sticks. Bacot was Bacot- We use dour subs well and Tremble tuned at least a small corner in showing us who he is.

I hope that the team buy into the hard work and grit as the reason they won and stay the course. I don't know what to think about them being so good in the absence of Nance- so there's that hanging question.

Play your intramural game son. The fact that you are using profanity explains it all. For the record, everyone on that college level gets beat from time to time. Pitt abused us in pick and roll in the last game. Monsanto abused Carolina last year and this year. In fact, he and Appleby have abused about everyone this year. My sports and coaching experience are facts. I don't have to resort to profanity to prove my point. The embarrassment is you. Show some composure and respect for your elders. It's ok to be wrong. By the way, even pros who get paid millions are being abused by pick and roll offense. With superior athletes, you win some, you lose some, but you strap up for each play to fight on each possession, up until the end. Who sounds like an athlete and who sounds like a comedian? Mic drop! I'm done!

Ahh I notice the first time I post anything substantive others are taking pot shots at each other- this board is truly pathetic compared to what it once was.

Ahh I notice the first time I post anything substantive others are taking pot shots at each other- this board is truly pathetic compared to what it once was.

Geth, I apologize for my part in this fiasco. I was merely stating points from an athletic and coaching perspective. I allowed the other poster to influence responses that did not lead to a positive outcome. For this and for you, I apologize. Your post deserves more than the insults that were thrown around on the post. Apologies!!! I will end my posting further here.

Reactions: Geth
Geth, I apologize for my part in this fiasco. I was merely stating points from an athletic and coaching perspective. I allowed the other poster to influence responses that did not lead to a positive outcome. For this and for you, I apologize. Your post deserves more than the insults that were thrown around on the post. Apologies!!! I will end my posting further here.
At no point have you offered anything from a coaching perspective. You have refused every opportunity to address what actually occurred in the game. You're trolling will not be missed.

My granddaughter, who starts for her high school basketball team, looked at me while watching Justin and said he was worth about 5 fouls a game. He doesn’t move his feet on D, doesn’t have a handle, and is out of position almost every time down the court. I tend to agree with her because my eyes tell me the same. I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t need a letter to know mediocrity when I see it. Even a 15 year old can see it too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT