ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Wake Forest game thread

Maybe the team goes as R Davis goes. Maybe it's a team effort every game and the plan just has to come together.

It's good to get the W at home. UNC was in last place in the ACC!

That was an important win to keep some momentum this season and not have a bad home loss. Maybe Trimble's turned the corner. Still need much better defense and either a better Love or less of Love.

Reactions: Heelicious
Well guys I think we found the answer on who the Nance replacement should be.. and that’s to play 3 guards with Trimble, with Leaky at the 4 and Bacot at the 5.

That was an important win to keep some momentum this season and not have a bad home loss. Maybe Trimble's turned the corner. Still need much better defense and either a better Love or less of Love.
Wake didn't play with the same intensity after the medical delay of the game

Not a helluva lot.

I still don't know the status of Pete Nance
I read on a few Tar Heel accounts online it’s bad lower back soreness! I saw him walk off and he was walking normal…I’m sure he was getting treatment all game! No need to come out and sit on the bench and be uncomfortable! He’s gonna have to sit for a couple weeks and get better!

I read on a few Tar Heel accounts online it’s bad lower back soreness! I saw him walk off and he was walking normal…I’m sure he was getting treatment all game! No need to come out and sit on the bench and be uncomfortable! He’s gonna have to sit for a couple weeks and get better!
I saw him go out and he was limping a little... walking funny.

He spent the end of the Pitt game standing at the end of the bench. Came out tonight, played about a minute, and immediately went to the back for treatment.

No telling how long he'll be dealing with it.

We weren't in last in the ACC. Notre Dame and Louisville are both winless. It only showed some of the teams.

Glad to see Justin McKoy get more minutes tonight. He's solid defensively, rebounds, hits free throws and does not turn the ball over. He really should get more minutes each game. I would also like to see more Tyler Nickel for three point shooting. Also, would like to try rotating Styles more to shut down physical guards and small forwards with his athleticism.

If you take out Love's shots the team is shooting 64% today (including 3-pointers).
Final numbers:

Love: 3-15 (20%), 4 turnovers
Rest of starters: 22-33 (66%), 3 turnovers
Bench: 5-10 (50%), 2 turnovers

Team shot 63% on the game when it wasn't Caleb Love shooting. And we took 24 threes! Wild.

• Wow
Reactions: rexerdog
11553648.png

Glad to see Justin McKoy get more minutes tonight. He's solid defensively, rebounds, hits free throws and does not turn the ball over.
Actually he's a bad rebounder who rarely boxes out, and usually just slaps at the ball with one arm. Also his defense on the screen and rolls was so bad that Wake spent the first 8-9 minutes of the 2nd half going at him every single possession.

We may have no choice but to play him as long as Nance is out with the back injury. But let's not gaslight people about McKoy. He's in his 4th year as an ACC player. There are very good reasons why he he rarely played for Tony Bennett and he rarely plays for Hubert Davis. Wake would have won tonight's game had we kept McKoy on the floor.

Glad to see Justin McKoy get more minutes tonight. He's solid defensively, rebounds, hits free throws and does not turn the ball over. He really should get more minutes each game. I would also like to see more Tyler Nickel for three point shooting. Also, would like to try rotating Styles more to shut down physical guards and small forwards with his athleticism.
McKoy wasn't good today and I don't think he's had a particularly good game in a UNC uniform. As for Styles, he can't defend, shoot, nor dribble. What's to like? He's athletic and can rebound. Got a lot to work on to be an ACC contributor.

He played the whole second half I believe. Had to be 35 minutes or more.
38 freaking minutes of wasted PT for Love. He played like he was brain dead with zero repercussions. Mind boggling and a bad precedent being set by Hubert. If you’re really talented (and Caleb is), there’s a different set of rules for you.

I disagree with you stating that McKoy wasn't good today. Apparently, Coach Davis gave him a shout out for his efforts today. When Nance went out, he stepped up and gave us great minutes tonight. Justin is not going to be an offensive threat, but he is very solid defensively. He learned defensive principles well at Virginia. Justin didn't play much at Virginia because Virginia had more experienced and skilled players that kept him off the floor.

For the record, Styles was an all state basketball player when he came out of high school. He lacks confidence and playing time, but he can play. Styles is the same guy that hit a key three in the Baylor game in overtime to give us the win in the tournament last year. Many of you are very critical of our players, win or lose.

I disagree with you stating that McKoy wasn't good today. Apparently, Coach Davis gave him a shout out for his efforts today. When Nance went out, he stepped up and gave us great minutes tonight. Justin is not going to be an offensive threat, but he is very solid defensively. He learned defensive principles well at Virginia. Justin didn't play much at Virginia because Virginia had more experienced and skilled players that kept him off the floor.

For the record, Styles was an all state basketball player when he came out of high school. He lacks confidence and playing time, but he can play. Styles is the same guy that hit a key three in the Baylor game in overtime to give us the win in the tournament last year. Many of you are very critical of our players, win or lose.
1. Hubert often says stuff in press conferences that is not grounded in reality. Praising McKoy after tonight would be one such example.

2. McKoy had maybe 3 good defensive possessions the whole game. He gave up multiple wide open 3s to Monsanto, one of the best shooters in the conference. He allowed a 6'11" center to beat him off the dribble multiple times. And he was targeted by Wake in pick and rolls every single possession in the 2nd half until Hubert benched him, because Wake was scoring easily.

3. Styles was all state in high school because he was more athletic and bigger than 99% of the players he faced, and because he was able to get a lot of points on the fast break when defenses weren't set. Yes he hit a key 3 against Baylor. He also shot 16% from 3 last year, and only made 2 other shots from deep the whole season. He doesn't lack confidence. He lacks development and skill. He can't dribble. Like he's really bad at dribbling. He never attacks the rim on offense. He just settles for 3s or turn around midrange jumpers, and he rarely makes either. With him being such a negative on offense the only way he's going to earn playing time is by being a good defender and rebounder, and he has not shown himself to be good at either.

You aren't going to be able to gaslight fans who watch the games and understand basketball.

I'm not gaslighting anyone. I totally understand basketball and know that players can impact games without scoring. Jackie Manuel was a terrible offensive player at Carolina, but his defense and hustle helped us win many games and a national championship. As for fans who watched the game, most will admit that McKoy was a positive for us tonight. Lastly, maybe you would be a better coach than Coach Davis, since he is not grounded in reality?

Last edited:
😙😶

38 freaking minutes of wasted PT for Love. He played like he was brain dead with zero repercussions. Mind boggling and a bad precedent being set by Hubert. If you’re really talented (and Caleb is), there’s a different set of rules for you.
I literally lol when the announcers even said something about Caleb’s green light. This, after playing horribly but yet shooting the ball three possessions in a row, with missed of course. SMH

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT