ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Wake Forest game thread

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
I figured I would give Steat a break from starting the game thread and with 5 and a half hours until the opening tip at 9pm I thought I would put out a couple of my thoughts.

Number one I watched the Wake win over Duke recently in Winston Salem and the Demon Deacons have reloaded and can play with anyone.

I like that Coach Davis has come out publicly and said if you do not play defense you will lose playing minutes and we all know indirectly he was talking about the starting guards. Not just one guard as many have unfairly tried to point out but both.

Let’s also face it without Manek who could receive and shoot faster than anybody other than maybe a Rick Mount or Curry the Tar Heels are much easier to defend against especially when the guards again both cannot find the bottom of the net on a consistent basis.

Saying that I would like the team to consider going back to playing two men down low instead of spacing the floor. I cannot be the only observer that feels Nance would and could help the team more shooting soft jumpers in the lane like Brice Johnson use to than wasting his 6 foot 11 height advantage shooting long three pointers from the corners.

Another thing to consider would give Nickel more time at the small forward because he is a natural scorer and looks to shoot the rock much more than Black or Puff. I perfectly realize Carolina has a long history of playing the upper classmen because they have earned it but in my opinion Nickel maybe the closest thing to Manek shooting than anyone else on the team but yes his defense to this point is as bad as Manek’s.

Finally people are harping a lot about playing Trimble more with either Davis or Love. I personally do not like given him more minutes because he never looks to shoot and the experience factor that both Love and Davis offer.

Finally I do believe this Carolina squad is pissed off about letting the Pittsburgh game get away from them and they will come out with a big chip on their shoulder and take care of business at home…

Wake basketball has been in the doldrums for quite a while, but a very good coach will revive a program. This would be another big Check for the Deacs. Starting the ACC season at 3-1 with Ws over both Dook and UNC would be a dream come true for Wake.

So the Tar Heels had better be prepared tp war all, game, which requires playing with heart and smarts.

Reactions: dlew71
Bacot and Nance will find it a little more difficult to score inside tonight because Wake also has a couple bigs as well: Carr is 6’10 and Marsh checks in at 7’1.::

Reactions: al would
I can only hope to take Coach Davis at his word that he will pull players for not playing good defense, namely our guards, but I'm not holding my breath. If he didn't pull Love after watching him mope around in the last game, I'm not sure what it would take to sit him down.

At least we are at home and seem to play much better there than on the road.

Go heels!

Talk is sheep/cheap .. hubcap has yet to make a move to make his point and I doubt tonight will be any different. And mando will not have an inside game tonight with an (NBA type) Marsh. If the outside shots aint falling then UNC will have to get some better ball movement and have an outstanding defensive EFFORT !

would love to see UNC give the effort NCS is giving against dook

Maybe they can get some good chemistry with Jalen!

Unless he fouls out int he 1st half

Williamson and Black exchange three pointers 7-7. Really no question this is the best Washington has looked in a Carolina uniform

Jalen's looked out of control a bit, glad to see him in there though. Defense as usual looks bad so far (good steals by Leaky and Bacot though).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT