ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching changes

PJ Fleck got a contract extension from Minnesota. It wouldn't prevent him from taking another job, but I'm sure they increased the buyout.

Has there been any more news on Bob Stoops to FSU? I read it was fairly close to happening.

I live in Metro Detroit, and a lot of people up here are still not buying the hype in Fleck.

He will make 4.6 million in 2020 and only goes up from there. I would find a way to be happy in Minnesota.
If you have his record, you can get that money at many places with much better weather.

Of course, he is from IL, but that is not MN.

I don't know a lot about Fleck, and I don't follow college football that closely. Fleck has done well the last 18 games or so - let's see how it goes against Penn St., Wisconsin, Iowa coming up.

I've heard Fleck does relate well to his college players, college kids on the campus, and the under 40 fan base that has been checked out on U of M football for a couple decades at least. He is very popular with these younger fans, so he likes that a lot.

Regarding whether Minnesota is a nice place for Fleck to live - meh - I suppose it is comparable to other midwestern / northern cities to live in. Similar to Chicago / Notre Dame for weather....more to do than at other big 10 cities. I think the "bad weather" impact on coaches and athletes being here is overstated. Making whatever money they make, they can live in Hawaii, FL, CA, etc for Jan - April if they wish...when the weather in MN is bad longer than other parts of the country

I don't see the risk in him getting plucked by a bigger name school, but I do think he seems like someone worth locking in. He was going to be able to get the money he got at a lot of other even lesser known- mid-tier schools I think . By that I mean money dedicated to college head coaches continues to keep growing I think .

Making whatever money they make, they can live in Hawaii, FL, CA, etc for Jan - April if they wish...when the weather in MN is bad longer than other parts of the country
Head coach is still super busy these months recruiting, boostering, prepping for spring practice.

Reactions: franklin street
I don't see Arkansas having the same level of interest in Deion as FSU
Nor anyone else.

I wonder if Arkansas can get Malzahn this time. I think we was the top choice when they ended up with Morris, but Auburn kept him with an extension. But Auburn boosters are nuts. They are again rumbling about Malzahn not winning as big as he could.

If Malzahn is not in play, I think Arkansas surely will go after Mike Norvell. He played at Central Arkansas, where he met his wife, who grew up in AR.

If FSU offers Deion Sanders over Norvell, FSU deserves to flounder for a decade.

Reactions: MWHeels
I don't know a lot about Fleck, and I don't follow college football that closely. Fleck has done well the last 18 games or so - let's see how it goes against Penn St., Wisconsin, Iowa coming up.

I've heard Fleck does relate well to his college players, college kids on the campus, and the under 40 fan base that has been checked out on U of M football for a couple decades at least. He is very popular with these younger fans, so he likes that a lot.

Regarding whether Minnesota is a nice place for Fleck to live - meh - I suppose it is comparable to other midwestern / northern cities to live in. Similar to Chicago / Notre Dame for weather....more to do than at other big 10 cities. I think the "bad weather" impact on coaches and athletes being here is overstated. Making whatever money they make, they can live in Hawaii, FL, CA, etc for Jan - April if they wish...when the weather in MN is bad longer than other parts of the country

I don't see the risk in him getting plucked by a bigger name school, but I do think he seems like someone worth locking in. He was going to be able to get the money he got at a lot of other even lesser known- mid-tier schools I think . By that I mean money dedicated to college head coaches continues to keep growing I think .
He took care of Penn State. On this one, you can call me Micky Dolenz, because I'm a believer. PJ Fleck is getting it done big time.

Reactions: Heelicious
On their website they are saying Muschamp is out at lil Carolina. Any heard anything about this?

There seems to be a lot of coaching vacancies on the way, makes me wonder if Fed gets a new gig..

I like Fedora very much. He's like Carl Torbush plus another 30 percent. But there is absolutely no way he will ever coach above the high school level again. He treats defense as an afterthought. Perhaps if Eastern Alamance JV team needs a coach, Fedora might be the fallback choice

I like Fedora very much. He's like Carl Torbush plus another 30 percent. But there is absolutely no way he will ever coach above the high school level again. He treats defense as an afterthought. Perhaps if Eastern Alamance JV team needs a coach, Fedora might be the fallback choice
Did he treat D as an afterthought or just have trouble recruiting and retaining defensive players? Asking Bubba to loosen the purse strings for Gene Chizik isn't ignoring the D.

Fed inherited walkons at linebacker and very poor quality & depth on the DL. That showed clearly in yr 2.

Then sanctions hurt D recruiting, fan attendance hurt D recruiting. Most of the D coaches Fed hired have gone to p5 jobs, several to SEC, so it isn't like he sought good recruiters.

Did he treat D as an afterthought or just have trouble recruiting and retaining defensive players? Asking Bubba to loosen the purse strings for Gene Chizik isn't ignoring the D.

Fed inherited walkons at linebacker and very poor quality & depth on the DL. That showed clearly in yr 2.

Then sanctions hurt D recruiting, fan attendance hurt D recruiting. Most of the D coaches Fed hired have gone to p5 jobs, several to SEC, so it isn't like he sought good recruiters.
They did't come up with the money to keep or to get a good one.....For someone to say he did't care about defense, they don't know what they are talking about.

Coaching searches often feature misleading the press so that it may be easier to get the negotiations done. That means the recent talk that Arkansas is interested in Justin Fuente, and he may also be interested, could be a smoke screen.

But it could be true. Fuente is from OK. A number of VT fans would have been happy to see him fired earlier this year.

If Fuente is interested in that job, I offer this advice: trying to win in the SEC West is like being a pitcher facing the classic Yankees Murderer's Row. And AR produces much less talent than MS, much less than LA and AL, which are dwarfed by the TX talent.

If you think the above is a smoke screen, then you may be interested in knowing that the target some people think Arkansas is pursuing may want Arkansas Jacolbe Criswell as part of Hawg recruiting class. Twitter watchers have learned that Lane Kiffin is now following both Arkansas's associate AD and Criswell, and both of them are following Kiffin.

I think this is a major question for coach firings and hirings, at least because it could relate to UNC: how much was Graham Harrell responsible for the 2017 and 2018 North Texas seasons with 9 wins?

The 2019 UNT team should have been at least as good as the previous 2. It returned a bunch of 2-deep players from last year, including the best QB in program history. But the Mean Green is 4-7, without Graham Harrell.

SC went from 5-7 last year without Harrell to 8-4 this year with Harrell - and that is 8-4 with 3 QBs injured at least for part of the year.

I think about 6 months before Gus Malzahn got his 1st college HC job, a guy on the internet wrote an article about 'the Malzahn effect.' He documented that Malzahn as OC made every team better than it was before he arrived, and better than it would be after he left. The guy updated the article to take in the drop in the Auburn offense when Malzahn left to be Ark St HC.

The author's assertion was that if as a coordinator your positive impact was that obvious, then the odds were most powerful that you would be a very good, or even great, HC.

Graham Harrell may be the current Gus Malzahn.

#19 Cincy is at #18 Memphis. The Tigers lead the Bearcats at the half 20-17.

I think the odds are good that Norvell has made it clear to either FSU or Arkansas that he will take that job, but not before Memphis is set in a bowl.

I also wonder about Fickell's future. His entire life has been in OH. Can he win if he is not in OH? Can he relate to fans and players outside OH? Outside the midwest?

#19 Cincy is at #18 Memphis. The Tigers lead the Bearcats at the half 20-17.

I think the odds are good that Norvell has made it clear to either FSU or Arkansas that he will take that job, but not before Memphis is set in a bowl.

Michigan State is going to need a new coach.

I assume Nebraska won't pull the plug on Frost yet but he's gone 4-8 and 5-7 in his first two seasons there. I'm sure they were expecting at least a bowl game this year. The best team they beat was 6-5 Illinois. Not good.

I assume Nebraska won't pull the plug on Frost yet but he's gone 4-8 and 5-7 in his first two seasons there. I'm sure they were expecting at least a bowl game this year. The best team they beat was 6-5 Illinois. Not good.
Sometimes, a program curses itself. Nebraska cursed itself by firing alum Frank Solich after a 9-3 season. The firing divided the fan base into bitter camps. He was 58-19 in 6 seasons, and had 5 teams that finished the season ranked. No Husker coach since has been that good.

I watched the second half of the Nebraska game today. They are extremely well coached. A couple of ridiculous personal fouls were called against them. Nebraska is deficient in talent, but not in heart or coaching. Frost is an excellent Coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT