ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching changes

I just saw where Nebraska gave Frost an extension a few weeks ago. Seems odd to give an under-performing coach extra years when he's only in the middle of his second season. His recruiting classes have been OK (in the 25 - 30 range nationally), but nothing remarkable.

He certainly deserves a few more seasons in order to prove himself. But if he doesn't, that one great season at UCF will be a fluke.

I just saw where Nebraska gave Frost an extension a few weeks ago. Seems odd to give an under-performing coach extra years when he's only in the middle of his second season. His recruiting classes have been OK (in the 25 - 30 range nationally), but nothing remarkable.

He certainly deserves a few more seasons in order to prove himself. But if he doesn't, that one great season at UCF will be a fluke.
Who else would Nebraska get? That no longer is a job that people salivate to get. There are very few top recruits within 200 miles of campus. The BT West is boring. TX is not part of the league footprint. Nebraska no longer plays its only historically important rivalry, OU, and it now is also separated from both Mizzou and KU, which were its next most important rivals for some 70 years.

Nebraska almost must give Frost at least 4 years.

Lots of recent talk about mutual interest between FSU and James Franklin. Personally I think he's overrated but I guess it's an upgrade over Taggert.

Missouri fired Barry Odom.

Missouri is not OU, not even K-St under Snyder, nor Ok St under Gundy. Odom took over a possible train wreck. He had a 4-8 record his 1st year, and then he's had 3 consecutive bowl teams. He is an alum.

Who would want the Mizzou job?

Odom's 1st DC job was under Fuente at Memphis. He did a great job. Then he returned to Mizzou as DC for 1 year, before Pinkel retired. He got the Mizzou HC job because nobody else Mizzou thought fit wanted the job.

At least he beat OSU, and is usually competitive with them, unlike Harbaugh.
Which is exactly his point to PSU about his value. He is going to make PSU pay up, or he will leave for FSU or SC or the next school that offers and has a big football history and real shot to get back into National Champ running.

Now the report is that Schiano will go back to Rutgers, after some intervention by the NJ Governor.

If I am that AD, I now assume my days at Rutgers are limited.

Schiano sure could use a native Jersey OC with at least 3 years P5 experience, preferably in 2 leagues.

Not many of those hanging around.

Now the report is that Schiano will go back to Rutgers, after some intervention by the NJ Governor.

If I am that AD, I now assume my days at Rutgers are limited.

Schiano sure could use a native Jersey OC with at least 3 years P5 experience, preferably in 2 leagues.

Not many of those hanging around.
I know of one, jmo

Some of these fired coaches will get picked up by some other team. What is interesting to me is quite a few will be fired by the end of the season, making some teams that fire their coach getting desperate for a replacement.

Riley to the Cowboys is a certainty.

I wish he would stay in college football, and I think he would have far more job security by doing so. He can win big at OU. The Cowboys are a complete mess.

Conflicting reports on whether Helton is fired or not. I guess that program can't even fire someone correctly.

I wonder if a school like Ole Miss will come after Clawson? Wake had limits, and Clawson has largely exceeded them. But Ole Miss is the smallest school in the SEC West.

BC fired Addazio. They are bowl eligible again, the 6th time in his 7 seasons.

The thing I love most about new coaching hires is reading the opinions and grades for each school. Michigan got all A's when Harbaugh came in, while the AD at LSU got blasted for "settling" for Ed Orgeron when they could have done better.

The thing I love most about new coaching hires is reading the opinions and grades for each school. Michigan got all A's when Harbaugh came in, while the AD at LSU got blasted for "settling" for Ed Orgeron when they could have done better.
Heard something interesting about Michigan this morning: they've only won one natty since 1948, and that was in '98 when they shared one with Nebraska. I didn't realize that it had been so rare for them.

Heard something interesting about Michigan this morning: they've only won one natty since 1948, and that was in '98 when they shared one with Nebraska. I didn't realize that it had been so rare for them.

Yep, and no big 10 titles since 2004

Their program is similar to Michigan State basketball. They are one of the most recognized names in the sport and have had a lot of success, but just don't have many championships to show for it.

Why would any coach want to go there now?
That's the question.

One of the names that has come up is Luke Fickell. He's a nice Catholic boy. He's done very well at Cincy. He's recruited Catholic schools very well. BC has a history of OH players added in when the Eagles are good.

I think Fickell is too 100% Buckeye to ever take a BT job not in Columbus. So he might see BC as the perfect P5 job for him. But Fickell has never been a coach for a team outside OH. Who knows what that means. Some fish can only thrive in 1 river.

Woody Hayes changed everything for the future of that rivalry.

That's the question.

One of the names that has come up is Luke Fickell. He's a nice Catholic boy. He's done very well at Cincy. He's recruited Catholic schools very well. BC has a history of OH players added in when the Eagles are good.

I think Fickell is too 100% Buckeye to ever take a BT job not in Columbus. So he might see BC as the perfect P5 job for him. But Fickell has never been a coach for a team outside OH. Who knows what that means. Some fish can only thrive in 1 river.

It's possible, but I think Fickell may get more attractive offers. I don't see BC as anything more than a stepping stone job. And if 6 bowl appearances in seven seasons isn't good enough for their current administration, than nothing will be.

The BT is always overrated because it is the largest and richest league and always has been. It buys media and has done so back to the beginning of radio. People across the country just assume that Michigan, as one of the BT's 2 Super Powers, must have been winning a National Championship per decade, certainly 1 every other decade.

ACC football is the opposite. People always assume it is weaker than it is.

1970 begins the contemporary era in CFB. ND ended its bowl boycott. TV had made the game HUGE. Games pitting teams from different regions had become fairly common, and the bowls were acting to arrange matchups to weigh football by leagues and regions as part of drawing the largest audience.

Starting with 1970, tabulate the number of ACC and BT National Champs in football. The average general CFB fan across the country will assume that the BT will have at least twice as many as the ACC. The average BT buffoon will assume the BT has at least 3 times as many.

Wrong.

Graham Harrell is interested in joining Herman's staff as the new offensive coordinator.

Gets him back to TX.

If he's ready to move now, and Mack has rapport with him, he needs to get him to UNC.

He would be a solid addition to the UNC staff. With his ties to Texas, it would be tough to compete with UT. Mack could be the equalizer though, especially with fans becoming impatient with Herman.

The AD at Boston College was the asst AD at Ohio State so he certainly knows Fickell. The BC athletic director is Martin Jarman. He is only 39 years old. He is from Fayetteville NC and graduated from UNCW

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT