ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching changes

The AD at Boston College was the asst AD at Ohio State so he certainly knows Fickell. The BC athletic director is Martin Jarman. He is only 39 years old. He is from Fayetteville NC and graduated from UNCW
If they got along well at Ohio St., this could be a done deal now. But Fickell would want no word out until after his Bearcats face Memphis again, for the AAC championship.

He would be a solid addition to the UNC staff. With his ties to Texas, it would be tough to compete with UT. Mack could be the equalizer though, especially with fans becoming impatient with Herman.
When you are a coordinator brought in to save the HC, you are in a bad spot. First, even if you do a good job, it could fail and the HC still be fired or else on a very hot seat: see SC this year.

But if you succeed very well, then some of those fans who'd demanded that the HC be fired or else replace at least 1 coordinator will then want you to replace the HC you saved.

Harrell is not a Longhorn - he's a small town West Texas Red Raider. He should be very wary of going to try to save Tom Herman.

Reactions: MWHeels
When you are a coordinator brought in to save the HC, you are in a bad spot. First, even if you do a good job, it could fail and the HC still be fired or else on a very hot seat: see SC this year.

But if you succeed very well, then some of those fans who'd demanded that the HC be fired or else replace at least 1 coordinator will then want you to replace the HC you saved.

Harrell is not a Longhorn - he's a small town West Texas Red Raider. He should be very wary of going to try to save Tom Herman.

All good points. I guess it would also depend on whether Mack is ready to dump Longo after only one year.

In terms of Herman's job security, I think Texas and Michigan are very much alike right now. Their boosters / fan bases are setting unrealistic expectations based on past success and perceived brand value. Times have changed and more schools are able to attract elite recruits, which makes it harder for the "big dogs" to win championships on a consistent basis.

Reactions: Realfreedom
"But you realize, there's no program without players," Tuitt said. "You're basing stuff off the fans. But we don't care about the fans that much. I'm going to be honest. We're here for the coach. We love football. If you don't want to support us, that's just your fault."
They don't base firing off all fans. They base it off what boosters demand. When enough boosters want a change, a change will be made.

I thought Ole Miss probably would give Luke another year, because he is an alum, and because his best class is his freshmen. And because the large number of fired P5 coaches will make it very hard for an Ole Miss to land the guy they want.

Chris Petersen is stepping down at Washington - he's only 55.

He has a son with some kin of chronic illness. Supposedly he was close to coming to UNC at one point. if so, it would have been to be right there with the UNC and Dook med schools in his backyard.

It appears FSU is down to four candidates for their HC Job:

Matt Campbell
James Franklin
Brian Kelly
Mike Norvell

Chris Petersen is stepping down at Washington - he's only 55.

He has a son with some kin of chronic illness. Supposedly he was close to coming to UNC at one point. if so, it would have been to be right there with the UNC and Dook med schools in his backyard.
Notice he said to "recharge" in his statement and not retire. Wonder if he would be open to coming here if Mack retires in 5-7 years.

Reactions: MWHeels
Notice he said to "recharge" in his statement and not retire. Wonder if he would be open to coming here if Mack retires in 5-7 years.
Who knows? But if he truly wants to return to coaching after a few years out, Mack is the man to talk to.

It appears FSU is down to four candidates for their HC Job:

Matt Campbell
James Franklin
Brian Kelly
Mike Norvell
Norvell is the only one with a reasonable buyout. Campbell has been excellent compared to Iowa State's history, but his buyout is insane.

Norvell to FSU would be my guess.
That would explain why FSU at first seemed ready to announce well before the season ended and then went into wait mode. Norvell is not going to want to disrupt his team. If Memphis beats Cincy again this week, Memphis is the best team in a G5 league, and Memphis gets to join the Major Bowl Club.

That would explain why FSU at first seemed ready to announce well before the season ended and then went into wait mode. Norvell is not going to want to disrupt his team. If Memphis beats Cincy again this week, Memphis is the best team in a G5 league, and Memphis gets to join the Major Bowl Club.
Yeah, I think it’s just a matter of time.

Doeren has made Tony Gibson the DC, and Pack Pride is melting down. Several of those Wufs said that Doeren had better make a splash hire for OC.

I kindly suggest Mike Bobo, who is no longer the Colorado St HC. He has SEC experience, which could help dear ole MooU secure the SEC invite for which it has been spreading its legs.

Clay Helton is officially back as USC coach in 2020 according to ESPN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT