ADVERTISEMENT

Darius Days

He's arguing for no dadgummed reason. Yes, Little is a 3/4, as I've said over and over (and over). BUT a certain recruiting writer recently said Nas had moved past that to have the ability to be seen as a legit 2 --- like that was a step up or something o_O ---- when the reality is he's simply become a good-shooting 3. It was a silly perspective, as I pointed out, but that's the sort of thing these kids hear --- and that was my point. So no, the poster in question wasn't right about anything --- unless saying the sun is warm is being "right" --- he's just arguing about nothing.

My larger point is that it seems like just about every elite kid these days this side of 7' who can shoot or dribble a little bit gets it in their heads (or are told by someone) that they're a future NBA Guard. And yes, Nas has been hearing that from some folks. BUT... one of the reasons I wanted him more than any other recruit in this class is that he seems to have a good perspective on things, and I don't think he'll have an issue with Roy asking him to play a Hybrid Forward role, which is his best role at UNC.

Done and done.

Cool, agree with everything here.

Little doesn't seem to be one of those kids dying to be a 2 guard even though he's not (cough Knox cough)

Reactions: gary-7
I start a Darius Days thread and it becomes everything but a Days thread.
That happens every day(s) on this board.

As for Darius.... he didn't post anything on twitter about the visit but did retweet a post about Nas Little commuting to the Heels.... not sure I'd read into that though.

That happens every day(s) on this board.

As for Darius.... he didn't post anything on twitter about the visit but did retweet a post about Nas Little commuting to the Heels.... not sure I'd read into that though.
I would be very surprised if Days commits here.

Reactions: dadika13
Yeah seems he is determined LSU is where he is going
Plus --- and this is nothing "inside", just feel --- I think he and Nas are an "either-or", i.e. once Little committed this one was probably over... and hey, I'm fine with that. We could stop now and be in great shape --- anyone else is a luxury. Langford is a definite "take" if we get that op... probably Shittu as well (not both, obviously)... but we're good in any event.

Mama said there'd be Days like this!

Remember back in the Days when we were discussing that recruit?

So if Days doesn't come here (and Shittu doesn't as well), do we just roll with Maye and the freshman as the only true bigs in 2019? I would have thought Roy would want an extra guy, given that it's Maye's last year. As has been pointed out though we may have 1-2 little guys that can play the 4. ;)

So if Days doesn't come here (and Shittu doesn't as well), do we just roll with Maye and the freshman as the only true bigs in 2019? I would have thought Roy would want an extra guy, given that it's Maye's last year. As has been pointed out though we may have 1-2 little guys that can play the 4. ;)

2018-19 won't be any worse than this year in terms of depth. We will be losing a wing that can play the 4 and gaining a wing that can play the 4.

I'm just surprised that Roy hasn't hedged his bets wrt this years bigs. I mean, if we've whiffed on these bigs, it's going to hurt this year and the next. There's no help coming.

He must be pretty confident that 1-2 of them will be serviceable ACC bigs very soon.

2018-19 won't be any worse than this year in terms of depth. We will be losing a wing that can play the 4 and gaining a wing that can play the 4.
Exactly.
I'm just surprised that Roy hasn't hedged his bets wrt this years bigs. I mean, if we've whiffed on these bigs, it's going to hurt this year and the next. There's no help coming.
He's tried hard to reel in a big man, just hasn't been successful so far. I don't think Days is coming to UNC. No intel, just a gut feeling.
He must be pretty confident that 1-2 of them will be serviceable ACC bigs very soon.
I think he is but doesn't want to say so and put undue pressure on them. Personally, I think a couple of them will be serviceable this year.

So if Days doesn't come here (and Shittu doesn't as well), do we just roll with Maye and the freshman as the only true bigs in 2019?
Just guessing, but I expect so. Unless maybe there's a good grad student option or a late decommit.

The good news is that by Spring, we'll have answers to most or all of our front court questions and we'll know if anyone is leaving early. We'll know if we are in good shape or desperate. If desperate, I expect to see Roy scramble to fill the need.

Last edited:
I'm still thinking we get either Days or Shittu, but I am also one of the ones that fully expects at least 2 of our 4 Bigs to contribute significantly this season. I expect that at least 3 will become starter level within 2 years!

Scrambling to fill needs may well be a thing of the past, but if not, Roy has proven he can do it well.

Reactions: dgheel57
I'm still thinking we get either Days or Shittu, but I am also one of the ones that fully expects at least 2 of our 4 Bigs to contribute significantly this season. I expect that at least 3 will become starter level within 2 years!

Scrambling to fill needs may well be a thing of the past, but if not, Roy has proven he can do it well.
I hope you are right about our bigs. Assuming you are referring to our 4 freshman bigs, I admire your optimism.

Roy has had low-ranked bigs before. While all have contributed, none has ever gotten good enough to be a starter. Luke is set to break that barrier, but it's still an experiment in progress.

All true, however these "low ranked " bigs look different to me! They are not JJames who picked up bball late in life or The Colonel who had coordination issues. They are not challenged physically either in height or athleticism. None are overweight or severely under either.These guys have the building blocks to be Starter level but either have had injuries or lacked exposure.

I am an optimist by nature, but I have been coaching too long to just blindly say someone will succeed. Roy and staff brought in willing workers with size and skill; they will be developed.

All true, however these "low ranked " bigs look different to me! They are not JJames who picked up bball late in life or The Colonel who had coordination issues. They are not challenged physically either in height or athleticism. None are overweight or severely under either.These guys have the building blocks to be Starter level but either have had injuries or lacked exposure.

I am an optimist by nature, but I have been coaching too long to just blindly say someone will succeed. Roy and staff brought in willing workers with size and skill; they will be developed.

Most of what you say is reasonable-albeit maybe a tad over optimistic. However I disagree about the "lacked exposure" part. all of these guys have been scouted thoroughly and were ranked accordingly. Lets not pretend they were playing ball in Haiti and Paul biancardi or Eric Bossi just couldnt go see them.

I really meant lack of exposure to competition day in and day out as well as to scouts. I could have clarified, but I try to be brief. Manley's exposure was limited due to multiple injuries and that is all types of exposure. (he is a true enigma) The rest either blew up late, played in small areas,or areas not known for top notch bball. Brooks is an exception to these facts and his potential is probably better known; this is why I expect him to contribute the quickest. Miller is a late bloomer who happens to be near 7' tall, but was only really looked at the second half of his senior year. Huff has a man's body, athleticism, a very high motor, coachability, and ferocity = Perfect combination for success.

Rankings depend on momentum and comparison to other prospects as much as they do to the skill of the player in question. If you bloom or grow late; if you do not play the summer circuits; if you play in a area that doesn't have other elites; or if you are too injured to show your talent-then your ranking just might not show your true potential!

BTW: I'm always going to be at least a "tad" over optimistic, lol!

Reactions: Archer2

Oh yes, I agree on the first part. It's just that I imagine he's uncomfortable with out depth this year as well!

That's what I'm hoping.

Reactions: majic919
Duke insider Andrew Slater put in a UNC crystal ball for Days. He doesn't throw them out at random. Will be interesting to see if it starts a run.

Duke insider Andrew Slater put in a UNC crystal ball for Days. He doesn't throw them out at random. Will be interesting to see if it starts a run.
While he does miss occasionally (Laszewski here recently), he is one of the better predictors over there.

Maybe he's rather us get Days than Shittu...;)
I think Shittu is destined for Vandy. I can’t understand why because you are getting guranteed playing time and national exposure at a blue blood basketball program. If you want to be one and done why not elevate your name by national exposure and being on a team that has the record for Final Fours and wins championships in the toughest most respected conference in the country. When is the last time you saw Vanderbilt on the cover of Sports Illustrated?! Use that one year to try and make it count for something

I think Shittu is destined for Vandy. I can’t understand why because you are getting guranteed playing time and national exposure at a blue blood basketball program. If you want to be one and done why not elevate your name by national exposure and being on a team that has the record for Final Fours and wins championships in the toughest most respected conference in the country. When is the last time you saw Vanderbilt on the cover of Sports Illustrated?! Use that one year to try and make it count for something
I think Shittu has OAD in his mind and wants to be THE man for a season. That ain't happenin' here.

I think Shittu has OAD in his mind and wants to be THE man for a season. That ain't happenin' here.

Yep. He wants to be a primary ball-handler and shot-creator. I'd definitely take him, but integrating him into our offense wouldn't be seamless.

Reactions: gary-7

Well with today's banner headline news of the NCAA electing to back away from us, the timing for guys like Days, Shittu, and especially Langford (because will be at Late Night tonight) simply could not be better!

Word is it is IU to beat for langford but the whispers in the wind is IU could have a problem (Addias, Sean Miller's brother is the IU coach), does Langford want to risk that? LSU for Days, again, I am hearing whispers that they should be very nervous. Kansas it is already known is in the cross hairs and even bigger fish on the Nike side are sweating bullets, very note worthy is the replies to these steering scandal questions by both Kalipari and K. Point is all the sudden there are dark clouds circling most of the blue blood programs EXCEPT as of today, UNC!

Really I am not being bias but how do you choose LSU, Vandy or any other major program that is not a blue blood to maximize your talent. If it’s a family university I get it. But LSU over Carolina?? Shittu Vandy over the defending National Champions?? I would tell my son ..... uh what is to think about??

$$$$$$$

Last 3 crystal balls are to UNC, for whatever that's worth.

It's probably not worth a ton until there's a true run (indicating there's some sort of intel), but one of them is from Andrew Slater (Duke insider). That's worth something.

Ok, so let's give ole Roy some more time.

However, I don't call these guys 'wiffs' by any means.

You overlooked them sir.

Garrison Brooks F Auburn, AL 6'10" 230 0 4/21/17
Sterling Manley C Pickerington, OH 6'10" 230 0 10/16/16
Brandon Huffman C Raleigh, NC 6'9" 235 0 9/26/16

Got plenty of height there!!!

Ok, so let's give ole Roy some more time.

However, I don't call these guys 'wiffs' by any means.

You overlooked them sir.

Garrison Brooks F Auburn, AL 6'10" 230 0 4/21/17
Sterling Manley C Pickerington, OH 6'10" 230 0 10/16/16
Brandon Huffman C Raleigh, NC 6'9" 235 0 9/26/16

Got plenty of height there!!!

Think we need to actually see them play in a college game first before we can say if they are misses or not.

I still think Roy in a normal recruiting year wouldn't have taken all three of them.

Think we need to actually see them play in a college game first before we can say if they are misses or not.

I still think Roy in a normal recruiting year wouldn't have taken all three of them.
I agree. Roy maximized the chances of 1-2 of them panning out early by getting 4 of them (including Walker).

If all or most of them turn out to be Des Hubert, Jackson Simmons or Joel James - which is certainly possible, given their rankings - then we will be loaded with serviceable backups but few ACC-caliber starters.

The problem with that is that new recruits look at our lineup for PT. If they are OADs, maybe they are cocky enough to be sure of a starting assignment. But middle-ranked players may well look at our lineup and think "some of those guys will have developed into starters by the time I get there, and Roy likes to play his experienced players, so I'd better go elsewhere."

We went through a multi-year patch where we had trouble landing top big men for pretty much that reason (plus the NCAA mess, of course). We looked loaded, but some of our guys took a while to develop. That culminated in 2 trips to the finals and a championship. So it's tempting to say "so what?" But I don't think we should assume we can do that again if we go on another big man drought just because we "look" like we are overloaded up front.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Five straight crystal ball picks for Days to UNC with his announcement coming late this week. One of the predictors was a LSU analyst. If true, Shittu won't get a chance to come to UNC since Days will have jumped first.

Reactions: Archer2
One would think it looks good for us if right after the NCAA announced no sanctions Days announces he is making his decision the very next week...

Five straight crystal ball picks for Days to UNC with his announcement coming late this week. One of the predictors was a LSU analyst. If true, Shittu won't get a chance to come to UNC since Days will have jumped first.

Shittu wants to do the point forward thing. I think that's the main thing keeping him from coming here.

While UNC and LSU are tied in crystal ball predictions, all 6 of the predictions this month point to UNC.

Sounds like a good test of whether they know their stuff.

Reactions: jah420
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT