ADVERTISEMENT

Dean - Hubert - Today's kids

DrJaaay

Freshman
Oct 20, 2010
Durham
I recently listened to the Shammond Williams/Pete Chilcutt interview, and I also recall the Shammond/Jimmy Black interview in which both Pete and Jimmy remember their days as freshmen and that they hardly ever played (Pete even red-shirted) but that Dean developed them and they eventually became well-loved Tar Heels. This brings me to two points: 1 - Hubert needs to employee what he supposedly learned from Dean (as well as Roy) and develop these kids that he recruits; and 2 - Kids like Nickel need to learn that you have to earn your playing time and don't expect to be on the court for 30min as a freshman if you're not ready (by the way, was Nickel a HD recruit?).
I realize this thread could go a lot of different ways because I wouldn't say that Love deserved 38min/game, but he got it ... no accountability from HD.
Ranked 300th in bench usage ... that's is totally unacceptable.
Soft kids that leave at the first sign of adversity ... this is probably the fault of my generation ... I know that my kids are pretty dang soft ... my fault.

I just hope that HD doesn't turn the Carolina program into everything I hated about the latter teams of K ... a six man rotation that jacks up three pointers all day.

I just needed to vent ... I'm PO'd about how HD coached this past season, and about how kids just want to get the heck out of Chapel Hill (although I can't really blame them).
Hoping for a better season next year ... Go Heels !!!

Reactions: Oak ridger
Nickel only averaged 6 minutes a game. He will develop into a very good player. . I am sure it was tough on him seeing Black get all of those minutes knowing he could contribute more if he had the chance.

Reactions: Old_School59
Nickel got what he deserved and had a couple of good plays all year.
Missed many open shots.
A step behind on defense.
Let’s not pretend he was Kyle Filipowski.
What time he would become a serviceable rotational player. But not a guy who warranted large minutes as a freshman.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
I recently listened to the Shammond Williams/Pete Chilcutt interview, and I also recall the Shammond/Jimmy Black interview in which both Pete and Jimmy remember their days as freshmen and that they hardly ever played (Pete even red-shirted) but that Dean developed them and they eventually became well-loved Tar Heels. This brings me to two points: 1 - Hubert needs to employee what he supposedly learned from Dean (as well as Roy) and develop these kids that he recruits; and 2 - Kids like Nickel need to learn that you have to earn your playing time and don't expect to be on the court for 30min as a freshman if you're not ready (by the way, was Nickel a HD recruit?).
I realize this thread could go a lot of different ways because I wouldn't say that Love deserved 38min/game, but he got it ... no accountability from HD.
Ranked 300th in bench usage ... that's is totally unacceptable.
Soft kids that leave at the first sign of adversity ... this is probably the fault of my generation ... I know that my kids are pretty dang soft ... my fault.

I just hope that HD doesn't turn the Carolina program into everything I hated about the latter teams of K ... a six man rotation that jacks up three pointers all day.

I just needed to vent ... I'm PO'd about how HD coached this past season, and about how kids just want to get the heck out of Chapel Hill (although I can't really blame them).
Hoping for a better season next year ... Go Heels !!!
I love Leaky but it seems I always had to look at games from the aspect of was Leaky a net sum gain or loss. Did the work Leaky did on the other teams hot or best scorer off set the offensive liability he presented. The fact that Leaky was such a weak jump shooter, that took jumpers, made it extra hard to spread the floor, which was key to UNCs offensive attack? It went both ways actually but it was not a close call when in a late season game, duke maybe, he was like 1-17. When Leaky goes 1 for 17 it is different than Love going 1 for 17, Love is working thru double coverage and Leaky is left wide open so his guy could go guard Love, Leaky was a net sum loss if he didn't completely shut down the other teams hot guy. I do think he could have helped us offensively much more if he had not been positioned to sit in the deep corner waiting for the ball to show up in his hands.

I honestly thought that at some point Leaky would transform into this Scottie Pippen-like player. Long and lanky and taking the ball to the rim for massive dunks. Well, I was wrong. In five years he had one big dunk that I can recall. Maybe he'll blossom into a really good player over the next five years, but it didn't really happen at UNC. Oh well ... thanks to Leaky for being Tar Heel !!! Best of luck in the future. Go Heels !!!

Nickel may one day develop into a very good D1 player, maybe, but that day wasn't over the last 4 months and we ALL saw it.
He and a few others should have been given a few more minutes than they got, but to up and leave after only 1 season says alot more about him and maybe his folks than it says about the program.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT