ADVERTISEMENT

Derryck Thornton will transfer from Duke

Will be the same Ole Dook team next year. Ratface will play about 6 players, everyone else won't even bother to take their warm ups off. Then we will have to hear all the announcers claim all year how they only have 6 players, got so sick of hearing this shit this year, even though they had a hole bench of players sitting over there that never got off the bench. Why anyone would want to play for him is beyond me.
yeah 5 stars sitting on the bench. .

Roy offered enough guys last year to make up a roster along with an NFL taxi squad. I don't know how much time he spent on any of the 4 except Ingram and he is in state.
I understand players get more attention than others based on how good they are, their level of interest... I guess I just feel like some people(fans of all teams) once they don't get a player fall back on the "we really didn't want him, or we backed off him, or he's not that good" I assume that Roy isn't offering guys most years unless he feels he will use them at some point.

I do hope there is a way to save these threads. When the investigation thing clears and UNC can pull in a Derick Smith or Harry Giles or Ingram ALL from North Carolina, I want to see what some of the guys like Archer say at that time.

Haven't you heard? While the NCAA investigation has undoubtedly hurt our recruiting, most here believe it's had less effect on our ability to recruit OAD's than multiple year players. For whatever reasons, some unjustified and some perhaps not, UNC is not perceived as a school that is conducive to the OAD philosophy.

We rarely land clear OAD's, although we still recruit them. But we are not going to build our program around them, as UK and dook have done in recent years. There are a few here who aren't happy about Roy's philosophy and who would gladly see our university adopt the OAD stategy, if it meant winning a few more games. Fortunately, most seem to be happy with Roy's approach of surrounding the occasional OAD with 3-4 year players.

I'll reiterate what I told UK fans five years ago. If we ever get to the point where we have OAD's about every year, I'll stop following UNC basketball. UK and dook are in that situation now. I pray we never get to that point.

South I just wanted to say thank you for the kind words. I do enjoy posting here and as much as I love K and Duke bball (which is a lot), I'm not a Heel digger (pun intended). I don't agree with everything just because it's K or Duke. If I think something is wrong I will be the first to say "yeah that was filth."

But on THIS matter? For "ME" I know that this level of college sports is pretty much a business. It's not really about going the extra mile for kids who have pretty much already been given every perk, incentive, and in some instances like Lance Thomas, gifts. Lmao (joking). I'm not a guy that PRETENDS that this level is anything other than than what I described. Coaches have to win or they get fired. Kids have to perform or somebody else is waiting to step in as it should be as that is the way it is in life. Does it mean a kid gets thrown away? No that's not what it means. It does mean they may lose playing time. It does mean they may have to work harder. It does mean that yes maybe the school that recruited them and they chose is no longer the best place for them.

K needed Thornton, Thornton was presented with an opportunity. Thornton accepted and went as far as to take extra classes to do it. Thornton played ok for a frosh, not great. But he played A LOT. Unless I have proof there is no way I'm going to believe that K PUSHED his ONLY PG off the team to make room for a Center when he has Amile, Jeter, Giles, Obi, vrankovick, Justin Robinson. If K was going to PUSH anybody out it would be amongst a group where bodies are expendable. You're telling me K pushed his only pg off the team because he has an unproven frosh coming in who is not considered a kyrie Irving or even a Tyus jones type talent? Bro that makes NO SENSE to me. It's not smart it's actually pretty stupid. If Jackson struggles or hell gets hurt then what? Is Bolden going to run pg? Allen? Matt jones? Jones was tried and that was a disaster. It makes no sense. K pushing out Thornton makes NO SENSE.

Well tru, ya kinda answered your own question, kid played OK as a freshman, not great, just OK. I can NEVER recall a UNC player being pretty much kicked out of the program just because he did not set the world on fire as a frosh? Actually, at times it has been the exact opposite, we kept guys that many of our fans would have preferred leave.

I mean, I do get your point, you are saying those that earn PT get PT, I get that but the difference is a Luke Maye who is never going to be confused with being a star still got some good PT and not mop up minutes but real PT was games were still in jeopardy. A Luke Maye never gets off your bench other than less than a minute left and up by 40. PLaying him now, going thru those growing pains forges a Marcus Paige, who for the first half of his frosh season could not get the ball to go in the peach basket. Marcus was not eased out, Marcus was developed, he was not recruited over, he was worked with. That ability seems to be leaving duke more each year.

Look at the list of players that began their college career at duke but discovered for them to really be able to excel they needed to get away from duke, if you are not one of K's protected few you are not going to get a chance. Look back at the last 10-15yrs, look at the amazing number of duke players that have transferred out, compare that to UNC?

Why so many transfers out of duke man? Clearly something is wrong when you have that many transfers out of your program? Either your staff is mis-evaluating on an epic degree or kids just are not being told straight. You pick but a kid that began his college career just played in the final 4 and he was not wearing a duke jersey...Looks like a fish, smells like a fish, i am guessing it ain't a pot roast...

Well tru, ya kinda answered your own question, kid played OK as a freshman, not great, just OK. I can NEVER recall a UNC player being pretty much kicked out of the program just because he did not set the world on fire as a frosh? Actually, at times it has been the exact opposite, we kept guys that many of our fans would have preferred leave.

I mean, I do get your point, you are saying those that earn PT get PT, I get that but the difference is a Luke Maye who is never going to be confused with being a star still got some good PT and not mop up minutes but real PT was games were still in jeopardy. A Luke Maye never gets off your bench other than less than a minute left and up by 40. PLaying him now, going thru those growing pains forges a Marcus Paige, who for the first half of his frosh season could not get the ball to go in the peach basket. Marcus was not eased out, Marcus was developed, he was not recruited over, he was worked with. That ability seems to be leaving duke more each year.

Look at the list of players that began their college career at duke but discovered for them to really be able to excel they needed to get away from duke, if you are not one of K's protected few you are not going to get a chance. Look back at the last 10-15yrs, look at the amazing number of duke players that have transferred out, compare that to UNC?

Why so many transfers out of duke man? Clearly something is wrong when you have that many transfers out of your program? Either your staff is mis-evaluating on an epic degree or kids just are not being told straight. You pick but a kid that began his college career just played in the final 4 and he was not wearing a duke jersey...Looks like a fish, smells like a fish, i am guessing it ain't a pot roast...
My memory a'int what it use to be , but I can't remember a guy being forced out by Dean or Roy. Most of our transfers just missed mommy and daddy. Hell even what his name was getting plenty of playing time when he transferred to get back to mommy's apron strings.

Haven't you heard? While the NCAA investigation has undoubtedly hurt our recruiting, most here believe it's had less effect on our ability to recruit OAD's than multiple year players. For whatever reasons, some unjustified and some perhaps not, UNC is not perceived as a school that is conducive to the OAD philosophy.

We rarely land clear OAD's, although we still recruit them. But we are not going to build our program around them, as UK and dook have done in recent years. There are a few here who aren't happy about Roy's philosophy and who would gladly see our university adopt the OAD stategy, if it meant winning a few more games. Fortunately, most seem to be happy with Roy's approach of surrounding the occasional OAD with 3-4 year players.

I'll reiterate what I told UK fans five years ago. If we ever get to the point where we have OAD's about every year, I'll stop following UNC basketball. UK and dook are in that situation now. I pray we never get to that point.

Yeah, I am one of those guys, few as we may be, that does not attribute our not being able to sign one & done players to the NCAA stuff. It is absolutely a factor, I just don't believe it is THE factor. Be it right or not Ky has worked hard to be branded as a one & done friendly school under Kal, K is really trying to take that brand away from Ky.

I think the larger reasons why we have not got one & dones is first off they (Kal related IMO) began this banding together deal, at one time it was one guy at a time but lately they have joined forces in units of 3 and 4 one & doners looking to all commit together, wanting to be the new Fab 5. We have not had the clear PT to draw in 3 one & doners at 3 seperate positions where they can know without being told the starting spot is wide open for ya.

Next, for most one & done guys your game plan has to be simplified so either you drive or pass it to some other guy who will drive is something these kids can play in day 1, they grew up playing that way on the black tops. Roy is not going to dumb down his game plan and you will be expected to defend or Roy wil be screaming at you until you either do defend or get yanked. These star kids are for the most part all about offense, defense is not something they really want to do. Roy is not going to pack back in to a simple zone just so he can cater to a bunch of freshmen, nor should he!

Roy is not going to take a kid like Britt and give him nothing but mop up half minute just so a prized freshman can get a few more minutes to show off for the NBA scouts. Even if you are a super star you will still share minutes with other guys at your position. These one & done kids many times are not about sharing a lot of minutes, they want HUGE PT, 35+mins PT is what they want to be able to see.

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT