ADVERTISEMENT

Dumbest things Bill Walton said during the game...

NorCalTarheel

All-ACC
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2017
I know there are a ton of choices but with about 5 minutes into the game he said, “Joel Berry, Theo Pinson, Luke Maye have no idea what it takes to be champions”.

THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS.

I muted the tv right after that so what did I miss?

I know there are a ton of choices but with about 5 minutes into the game he said, “Joel Berry, Theo Pinson, Luke Maye have no idea what it takes to be champions”.

Sarcasm?

When I saw he was calling the game I went over to the UNC radio broadcast. And espn wonders why their ratings are down across the board .. what a bunch of maroons .. from the top down. Hey kids .. this is your brain on drugs.

Sounded like he’s President of the Luke Maye fan club.

Let the Maye be with you

24eyw5v.jpg

At times I felt he was working at the Oregon chamber of commerce.
Most of the ti.e, he seemed oblivious as to what was happening with the games. But comical to say the least

I have had to mute my TV the last 2 games due to Walton. ESPN is a medical waste dumpster fire when it comes to televising basketball. Yesterday it seemed like they split-screened the game for around five minutes of live action just to show us two moops sitting in the control room doing absolutely nothing. Scintillating stuff, that. I should loop that garbage for those nights insomnia rears its ugly head. Then they split screened us again for extended periods several times to show us Bill and the other "announcer" sitting there talking about various complete nonsense during live action.

Here is a list of reasons I do NOT tune in to a basketball game.

I do NOT tune into a basketball game to watch the coaches.

I do NOT tune into a basketball game to watch the announcers.

I do NOT tune into a basketball game to watch the guys in the booth.

I do NOT tune into a basketball game to watch the coach of the football team ramble on for 5 minutes during Live Action (see Clemson game last year)

I do NOT tune into a basketball game to watch the QB of the football team ramble for 5 minutes (see Stanford game this year)

I do NOT tune into a basketball game to watch the coaches wife (see last nites game vs Portland)

I do NOT tune into a basketball game to watch 25% of my screen repeatedly held hostage to show me nonsense about people and events TOTALLY unrelated to the game I am watching.

I do NOT tune into a basketball game to have my 50" TV repeatedly turned into 2-20" TVs via Split Screen DURING Live action!

I do NOT tune into a basketball game to hear a history lesson on the area surrounding the arena.

I do NOT tune into a basketball game to hear a geography lesson on the area surrounding the arena.

I do NOT tune into a basketball game to hear Bill Walton's version of Gulliver's Travels.

Those are a few of the reasons I do NOT tune into a basketball game.

I tune into a basketball game to WATCH THE DOGGONE BASKETBALL GAME!!

I laughed when they had the split screen up and a Hog was hurt in the corner with a rolled ankle and he tried to get up and he was bent over and Walton said "I cant tell who it is from this angle". I laughed several times at him over the 2 games.

I thought he said some moronic shit and shouldn't be a commentator, but I don't agree with some of the examples you guys are using and he seemed to make a decent point a couple of times.

When they were talking about the game being over or not, the other guy than Walton insinuated the score was like that cuz Macon got injured. Walton said it wasn't. The other guy tried to make Walton sound dumb by saying the game wasn't over and the guy being hurt was the reason it seemed so bleek.

Walton started treading on it and mostly said it, but fell a little short. That their run to close the game to 6 happened AFTER Macon got hurt. Walton was toeing the line saying that while the other announcer was basically asserting that it happened prior and the Macon injury stopped the run.

So, the other announcer sucked also.

The worst thing the entire time was him saying Maye shuffled his feet over and over and over again and him doing the Sean may / Luke Maye joke which fell so flat that both announcers literally stopped talking for almost a whole minute as it seemed they had no idea where to go from there.

The most funny to me was Bill asking if Luke was related to Sean May, the Johnny Cash thing was funny to. Maybe it is just me but I enjoy Big Red calling a game, the guy cracks me up, sorry but I take him any day over Doris Burk. But hey, I also really enjoy Bobby Knight calling games, other than Bilas I would take Bobby Knight over any one else (unless I could have our UNC team call the game). IDK, it must be the shoes! LOL

And Wasn't someone on about how he loved UNC in the last thread or something :rolleyes:

Bill Walton is a national treasure.

One man's trash...

The most funny to me was Bill asking if Luke was related to Sean May, the Johnny Cash thing was funny to. Maybe it is just me but I enjoy Big Red calling a game, the guy cracks me up, sorry but I take him any day over Doris Burk. But hey, I also really enjoy Bobby Knight calling games, other than Bilas I would take Bobby Knight over any one else (unless I could have our UNC team call the game). IDK, it must be the shoes! LOL
Walton is like the eccentric art teacher you had in elementary school

Reactions: Archer2
I like Walton because you never know what he might say! His weird non sequitur is at times brilliantly whimsical and at times insufferably inane!

Be thankful we didn't get JWill and Seth!

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
And Wasn't someone on about how he loved UNC in the last thread or something :rolleyes:

One man's trash...
I actually thought he was the most pro UNC announcer we've had in years. He was all over the place, but he had more positive things to say about us than negatives. I guess he won me over by siding with UNC over Duke & being a big Luke fan. I'll take him over Vitale all day every day.

The dumbest thing he said was that Roy should call a time out when the Hawgs had scored 9 straight to cut our lead to 7 in the second half.

He obviously doesn't know Roy very well...
Smart thing to say, as about 99% of coaches ( including NBA) WOULD call a TO then ,but not Roy!

The worst part was the Split-Screens and the popups that covered a full quarter of my TV screen for waaaaaaay to long. And none of them added anything to the game at hand.

That said, I have no interest in being bombarded by a rambling 2 hour conversation that had very little to do with the game I was watching. The root problem is "announcers" who think the event is All About Them, and the "network" that promotes and perpetuates that miserable fail approach to broadcasting a sporting event. I detested Cosell for the same reasons, and Vitale, and now Walton and the whole Look At Me herd of on air "personalities."

As an option I wish they would at least offer a second audio program choice of just the live court sounds. I don't enjoy watching the game as much without some live audio.

If the game at hand isn't worth the focus of the announcers and network, why bother to air it at all?

Reactions: FranktheHeel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT