ADVERTISEMENT

*Fifty-Two seconds*

I would take my chance because I'm going to coach him very hard, discipline included. Too much upside to let 1 bad season end this relationship, and I suspect many bigtime coaches would agree with me. :mad:
I guess I would not agree with the "One bad season", Florida. Caleb was just not very good as a freshman, but we all wrote it off as being a freshman. Most of last year he was not very good either, and then this year we all know how that went. I agree with the poster above that said, when he was good he was great. The problem was he wasn't good for a vast majority of his time here. I will always hold a special place for Caleb Love for what he did to dook (twice) last year and during our improbable NCAA run. That being said, he is the single most frustrating player I have ever rooted for in my 40 years as a tar heel. I wish him nothing but good luck, unless he's playing Carolina, but think his move was best for both parties.

Few bigger Caleb fans than me- he gets a lifetime pass for his shenanigans vs. ratty. His dagger vs
the LOM is one of the classic shots in our history.
l wish the coaches had been able to develop Caleb’s discipline to a higher degree; but Caleb needed
to accept responsibility for his inconsistent play and work to improve it.
l hope he does and l hope we don’t have to play Arizona.

Last edited:
Bad from a "team" standpoint.
The entire TEAM PLAY was bad, not just the person that people like you want to focus your frustration on.
While I recognize the attempt to make this a personalized attack against "people like me" (decade long UNC fans??), I'm not interested in joining the litany of message board squabbles.

But I will say is that when your our "best" player turns out to play poorly and you pair that with poor body language, lack of effort, horrendous defense and even worse shot selection, that person runs a significant risk of being singled out. I think many fans pardon players who appear to be trying their best and don't have the ability more so than someone who clearly has the ability but doesn't give the effort. It might not be fair but it seems to be the way of the world.

Love to talk UNC hoops with those who want to share ideas and not resort to personalized attacks, even if I don't agree with them. If this isn't you, there are plenty of folks out there that appear to love a good message board fight. Have at 'em.

The kid just cared about himself. I’m done talking about it, but if his shot didn’t fall he didn’t care. Absolutely pouted like a baby and zero defense. He’s not close to good enough for any of that. His attitude was contagious and his effort was nonexistent. Thank you for the extermination of the Rat but I’m glad he’s gone. I hope we play Michigan too.

The Battle 4 Atlantis is next season. I’m guessing there’s a good chance UNC will go up against Michigan. I just hope things don’t get weird. If the Tar Heels and Michigan make the Big Dance next season…look for another matchup. The Tournament Committee has a great sense of humor.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I would take my chance because I'm going to coach him very hard, discipline included. Too much upside to let 1 bad season end this relationship, and I suspect many bigtime coaches would agree with me. :mad:
I agree he needs to be disciplined by his next coach.

But I would point out that it's far more than 1 bad season.

Reactions: heelbent
@FlaTarHeel Legit question. What type of player do you think Caleb is? Not what he can be? What he is on a normal Caleb Love game?

He had like 8 really good games in over 100 career UNC games. And his average game was pretty bad.

Is it because he was good against Duke?

I’m not saying he won’t be good at Michigan. He obviously has all the talent to be a fine player. But that’s a dangerous spot for him. Michigan lost a lot of talent and they’ll probably need Caleb Love’s offense to be good. In 3 seasons at UNC, that’s a dangerous combo in a bad way.

He will have his best season as a collegian at Michigan, which will lead to an even better pro career.

Reactions: MUgrad86
While I recognize the attempt to make this a personalized attack against "people like me" (decade long UNC fans??), I'm not interested in joining the litany of message board squabbles.

But I will say is that when your our "best" player turns out to play poorly and you pair that with poor body language, lack of effort, horrendous defense and even worse shot selection, that person runs a significant risk of being singled out. I think many fans pardon players who appear to be trying their best and don't have the ability more so than someone who clearly has the ability but doesn't give the effort. It might not be fair but it seems to be the way of the world.

Love to talk UNC hoops with those who want to share ideas and not resort to personalized attacks, even if I don't agree with them. If this isn't you, there are plenty of folks out there that appear to love a good message board fight. Have at 'em.
Well stated. Florida needs to realize that Love is gone, period. It does no good to dwell on someone who has moved on with his life. It’s possible to be happy that Love helped ruin Krazywhiskey’s retirement party and still feel relief that he’s moved on.

He had the capability to have his name in the rafters. Whatever kept him from achieving that is between him and all his coaches. Him consistently taking I'll advised shots deflated most games last year. Again, that's on him and the coaches. I hope he plays at a level next year to make the league. I also hope HD learned from his part in this as well.
And he was never the cause of last year's woes. The team as a whole sucked.
But could you imagine if that game clip was the norm for him?

Caleb Love is a very inefficient volume shooter that possibly could excel greatly moving into an offense that doesn't clog the lane up and allows higher percentage drives from a spread out offense.

While some of his shots were late shot clock attempts, there were countless examples of very poor shot taking decisions and tossed up drives in a clogged lane.

Defensively he has the size and speed to be a good defender, but seems to be poor at basketball IQ necessary to be a smart defender with angles and knowing where to be in position a lot. At one point he was like 20 points+ our worst efficient defender. I am not sure how that held up as the year went on.

He can be a good passer, but tends to be selfish when it comes down to fast break opportunities. It's hard to know just how great of a passer he can be because UNC was plagued greatly this year with a team that didn't move without the ball or create many passing opportunities.

He doesn't have a tight handle with the ball. He makes poor decisions with the ball a lot that leads to a lot of unforced turnovers. He also is able to be pressured a lot and forced into mistakes.

His free throw shooting is good though it did decline from sophmore to junior year.

The kid just cared about himself. I’m done talking about it, but if his shot didn’t fall he didn’t care. Absolutely pouted like a baby and zero defense....
that selfish immature attitude can be cured by a coach who's a good disciplinarian.

Reactions: Archer2
I wish him luck! I hope he conquers whatever his demons are and finds a way to showcase his obvious talent! I think it fair that peeps criticize his decision making and note his poor performances AND I feel it is equally fair to celebrate his potential and laud the program changing things he did last year. I wish it had worked out here but I also wish him luck trying to get paid to play!

He will have his best season as a collegian at Michigan, which will lead to an even better pro career.
I mean, I hope he has his best college season next year. He hasn't been all that good for 3 years. if he has a 40% FG/33% 3PT shooting season, that would arguably be his best college season and no one would really consider that being a really good season overall. So I hope he has his best college season next year. If he doesn't, it means he was basically the same player.

Also, as others have indicated, if we miss him as much as it appears you think we'll miss him... We're screwed, lol.

Caleb was a YouTube/social media player here. An awesome highlight package, but very little substance beyond that.

As far as "which will lead to an even better pro career" again, I'm not sure what that means. What kind of pro career or comparison are you envisioning?

Reactions: Heelicious
Caleb will forever be enshrined in UNC bb for what he did during the NCAA Tournament and at Dook. It was totally baffling that the play at the end of last year didn't translate to this year. Something was wrong on this team.

It was necessary. If this team ends up shitting the bed again, he would be the first to be scapegoated.

Glad he left on (seemingly) amicable terms. He gets a fresh start at Michigan and Hubert gets the team he wanted to build with no excuses.

"The most selfish player to ever wear a Tar Heel uniform" --- Random guru
https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F181129110118-08-gacy-doc.jpg

John Wayne Gacy giving back to the community.

Not that Love should be compared to a murderer but just because there is a picture of someone doing good doesn't mean they are not selfish or a selfish basketball player!

#feelfreetoignore

Reactions: Heelicious
I appreciate the sentiment. But if it goes the other way, it can ruin what could be a great team. I'd rather try to put together a team that doesn't depend on a wild card.

That being said, I too love Love and what he did for us, and I wish him the best. He's a Tar Heel. Always will be.

I wish Caleb all the best-he will always be a Tar Heel. A gutsy player who is not afraid to have the ball in his hands for the last shot. His journey is not complete at the college level and I hope Michigan is a good fit for him this year.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT