ADVERTISEMENT

*Fifty-Two seconds*

I would take my chance because I'm going to coach him very hard, discipline included. Too much upside to let 1 bad season end this relationship, and I suspect many bigtime coaches would agree with me. :mad:
1 Bad season? You spelled 2 1/2 bad seasons wrong.

Reactions: Heelicious
Zona wins exhibition game 94-65
Led by 19 points from Caleb Love, the 12th ranked Arizona men's basketball team surged to a 94-65 win over New Mexico Highlands in their second exhibition game on Monday night in the McKale Center. Love shot 8 of 13 from the field, shooting 50% from behind the arc, in addition to his 4 rebounds and 3 assists on the night.

Last edited:
FlaTarHeel you seem really bothered about losing these former Heels from last season. I have affection for them because they are members of the Carolina family, but you seem to be really personally attacked by what took place.
I can't help but feel you have a personal relationship with one of these players or their family.
I wonder if you will keep up this type of posting when our current team is entrenched in the top 5-10 teams in the country?
I want each of these former players to have fabulous years this season, but that doesn't change my feelings that this years version is a much better team.
If Caleb Love avg 18ppg and 5 assist shooting 50% and 35% from 3, I would STILL say, Carolina had to move on without him.
I won't comment again as I respect your opinion, just think you have a personal axe to grind.

FlaTarHeel you seem really bothered about losing these former Heels from last season. I have affection for them because they are members of the Carolina family, but you seem to be really personally attacked by what took place.
I can't help but feel you have a personal relationship with one of these players or their family.
I wonder if you will keep up this type of posting when our current team is entrenched in the top 5-10 teams in the country?
I want each of these former players to have fabulous years this season, but that doesn't change my feelings that this years version is a much better team.
If Caleb Love avg 18ppg and 5 assist shooting 50% and 35% from 3, I would STILL say, Carolina had to move on without him.
I won't comment again as I respect your opinion, just think you have a personal axe to grind.
I have similar feelings about the changes. What Caleb did for us in certain instances is burned into my soul. I want him to succeed hugely, I really do.....but there's also a part of me that wants to see him drive himself into an impossibly defended position under the basket and then shoot anyway instead of dishing off, and see if they make videos of that.

If he has found the discipline and self-discipline he needed, I am happy for that.

Reactions: Heelicious
Game #1
12pts/4asst/3rbs/1blk/0 turnovers in only 1 half.

*Playing off the ball* which begs the question why couldn't Hubert do that? :(

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Dontrez Styles in the lost to rival Rutgers last night.
15pts/7rbs/3-5 3's.
This is the kid who couldn't shoot?

Dontrez Styles in the lost to rival Rutgers last night.
15pts/7rbs/3-5 3's.
This is the kid who couldn't shoot?
Damn! He did ALL THAT after the 12 min TV timeout in the 1st half. That is when I turned that game off and he had Blutarski Stat line at that point. 0.0 nada, nothing. He rarely even touched the ball first 8 min of the game.
I like Ed Cooley as a coach, Louisville should have hired him when Payne got the job. He will get something out of Styles, but his skillset didn't look like he made a huge jump from watching those first 8 min last night.

Last edited:
why does it surprise people when someone like Styles starts to reach his potential when he's simply given the chance to do so. You give a green kid a few minutes here and there, you're likely to see erratic, inconsistent play. Playing in actual games is a lot different than playing in practice with teammates. A lot of one-on-one coaching can take place during a game, but only when there's an opportunity, and that opportunity comes from actual minutes. Practice is also key of course. You don't instill self-discipline and self-control in practice, you won't see it on the court. But the most important thing is just giving him a chance. A REAL chance.

I don't understand giving up on someone based on paltry playing time, and it gets under my skin. Letting a player down is a lot worse than a player letting us down.

why does it surprise people when someone like Styles starts to reach his potential when he's simply given the chance to do so. You give a green kid a few minutes here and there, you're likely to see erratic, inconsistent play. Playing in actual games is a lot different than playing in practice with teammates. A lot of one-on-one coaching can take place during a game, but only when there's an opportunity, and that opportunity comes from actual minutes. Practice is also key of course. You don't instill self-discipline and self-control in practice, you won't see it on the court. But the most important thing is just giving him a chance. A REAL chance.

I don't understand giving up on someone based on paltry playing time, and it gets under my skin. Letting a player down is a lot worse than a player letting us down.

Dude played 25 minutes against #1 seed Baylor in our run to the championship game. Hit a big 3 in OT & we don’t win that game without him. After that, it’s hard to believe he didn’t get any more run his sophomore year than he did.

Georgetown is pretty bad, he should get ample run there. Sometimes you just have to find a better fit for your skill set/game with a roster. To me that is one of the positives of the portal. Find your fit and get after it. Get 'em Trez !

Dude played 25 minutes against #1 seed Baylor in our run to the championship game. Hit a big 3 in OT & we don’t win that game without him. After that, it’s hard to believe he didn’t get any more run his sophomore year than he did.
Styles is doing pretty much what I expected if given the opportunity.
I love HD and what he stands for but last season was the WORSE coaching performance in school history, and that includes the 8-20 season under Matt D.

Reactions: bluetoe
I love this thread since I like to keep up with Family even if they no longer go to UNC! Thanks for keeping it up!

Wouldn't we have to be in the room to actually know why Trez (or any others) didn't get more PT and why HE (they) decided to leave? Nobody was kicked off the team but all received an honest assessment of their potential at UNC. I prefer coaches to be honest with peeps instead of promising them what they want to hear so you can either keep them from others or keep them as insurance! 8-20 was far worse IMO. School history has some stinkers too that included missteps when both DES and Roy were growing into their jobs.

I'm naturally positive and I always look forward so I will try not to respond to the next person who is so mired in the past they clearly miss out on the joy of now!

I love this thread since I like to keep up with Family even if they no longer go to UNC! Thanks for keeping it up!

Wouldn't we have to be in the room to actually know why Trez (or any others) didn't get more PT and why HE (they) decided to leave? Nobody was kicked off the team but all received an honest assessment of their potential at UNC. I prefer coaches to be honest with peeps instead of promising them what they want to hear so you can either keep them from others or keep them as insurance! 8-20 was far worse IMO. School history has some stinkers too that included missteps when both DES and Roy were growing into their jobs.

I'm naturally positive and I always look forward so I will try not to respond to the next person who is so mired in the past they clearly miss out on the joy of now!

and may the now be joyous!

I'm a realist and I agree we speculate and surmise beyond what is sensible. But I also see what I see, and whether we are winning every game or losing every game, I don't like to see talented players warming the bench. And we have seen a lot of talented bench warming so far

Players need real minutes in order to develop. And if not for their sake, you never know when we'll need them for our sake. Additionally, I can't help it but it doesn't sit well with me to see players enter the portal who have good potential and cared enough for us to commit to us, only to be replaced by players looking for a place to escape to. It sticks in my craw, and I don't even know what my craw is. I want to keep our guys happy enough to stick around, even if that fails to result in the best performance. That being said, I know that with honest assessment, a player might be better off elsewhere.

An example of what I'm talking about though is born out by the best example possible, Tom Brady. Even before his success story began, I was whining that QB's need to be judged not by practice performance alone, but by allowing them to play meaningful minutes in games. A lot of players aren't good practice players but shine when taking real snaps, or at least have the light come on for them.

Back to your point...all my blabbering is an example of what you're saying and you're right in saying it. When we put our backup QB Conner Harrell in the first time, he didn't show much and the worrywarts started chirping a little. Then we put him in again and he throws a long, perfect TD pass that Drake would envy.

Styles is doing pretty much what I expected if given the opportunity.
I love HD and what he stands for but last season was the WORSE coaching performance in school history, and that includes the 8-20 season under Matt D.
I'm sorry, but it is moronic to go apples to apples in this situation. If Dontrez was "given the opportunity" here to be a first, second, or third option like he is at Georgetown, we would probably be a 10-15 win team with absolutely 0 postseason aspirations. If Dontrez was given the same opportunity, it would mean we're not any good. Are we just going to ignore that Georgetown lost to Holy Cross at home and lost by double digits at Rutgers who are picked to finish 10th in the Big 10?

On the other hand, it's early but it looks like Caleb Love will have a far less productive statistical season this year at Arizona. Arizona has a lot of good players, so Caleb probably won't be averaging the 17 he averaged with us last year. But maybe he'll contribute much more to winning basketball this season.

This is going to be a really dumb exercise this season... I'm sure @FlaTarHeel will cherry pick too. When Arizona wins, but Caleb Love goes for 10 points on 30% shooting with 5+ turnovers, FLA will credit him for being a winning player. When Dontrez goes for 15 pts, 10 rbs in a 40 point loss, he will say "this is what he's capable of if we gave him the opportunity."

I hope all of the ex-Heels kick ass this season. I hope their teams enjoy success unless they're playing us. Move the hell on. Holy crap.

I'm sorry, but it is moronic to go apples to apples in this situation. If Dontrez was "given the opportunity" here to be a first, second, or third option like he is at Georgetown, we would probably be a 10-15 win team with absolutely 0 postseason aspirations. If Dontrez was given the same opportunity, it would mean we're not any good. Are we just going to ignore that Georgetown lost to Holy Cross at home and lost by double digits at Rutgers who are picked to finish 10th in the Big 10?

On the other hand, it's early but it looks like Caleb Love will have a far less productive statistical season this year at Arizona. Arizona has a lot of good players, so Caleb probably won't be averaging the 17 he averaged with us last year. But maybe he'll contribute much more to winning basketball this season.

This is going to be a really dumb exercise this season... I'm sure @FlaTarHeel will cherry pick too. When Arizona wins, but Caleb Love goes for 10 points on 30% shooting with 5+ turnovers, FLA will credit him for being a winning player. When Dontrez goes for 15 pts, 10 rbs in a 40 point loss, he will say "this is what he's capable of if we gave him the opportunity."

I hope all of the ex-Heels kick ass this season. I hope their teams enjoy success unless they're playing us. Move the hell on. Holy crap.
you do realize, don't you, that you are doing exactly what you are railing against, making comparisons (what Styles is doing at Gtown compared to what he probably would do here)? But your point is taken, you can't compare apples to oranges sensibly. For my part though, and just to be clear, I'm not conjecturing any particular performance out of Styles, and I'm not making comparisons....I'm just saying you don't know what he or any other high-potential player can do, if he doesn't get the chance to show it. And if there is a lot of the same on our bench this season, I'll keep complaining about it. Mostly to myself.

Like you, I hope 100% that those former players kick ass.

you do realize, don't you, that you are doing exactly what you are railing against, making comparisons (what Styles is doing at Gtown compared to what he probably would do here)? But your point is taken, you can't compare apples to oranges sensibly. For my part though, and just to be clear, I'm not conjecturing any particular performance out of Styles, and I'm not making comparisons....I'm just saying you don't know what he or any other high-potential player can do, if he doesn't get the chance to show it. And if there is a lot of the same on our bench this season, I'll keep complaining about it. Mostly to myself.

Like you, I hope 100% that those former players kick ass.
Eh, maybe. I think I'm looking at it through a little more context than "Dontrez scored a lot of points in a game. Huge mistake not to give him an opportunity here." Hell, I'm giving Caleb Love credit for being a significantly less productive statistical player, but it appears that he's found a way to impact winning games with Arizona.

My post was more aimed to @FlaTarHeel. I don't think there's any context to when he posts on this thread.

My personal opinion is I don't think there was a really good team in us last year, regardless of the lineup combination. I don't think we were Tyler Nickel minutes away from being any better. Do I know for certain? Of course not. My thought last year was we were pretty dependent on Caleb Love improving and being consistently good for us to reach our potential. He wasn't and I don't think we had pieces in place to recover from that. But the criticism of Hubert's bench use is certainly valid to discuss.

Reactions: bluetoe
8-20 was far worse IMO. School history has some stinkers too that included missteps when both DES and Roy were growing into their jobs.
TPFK you are 1 of the 4 best posters on this board, but that 8-20 team may been the least talented squad in UNC history even with the Matt D nonsense.
The 2020 team that went 14-19 had enough talent to win 22 games but injuries and covid killed that season.
As I said I really love HD and everything he stands for but I can't excuse the coaching job he did last season. Too much talent to let it go off the track like that.

Went back to remind myself of the roster from 8-20. I think I have trouble forgetting that we just had no chance in games that year + our coach didn't seem to represent the Carolina Way! It was indeed possibly our least talented team and the perimeter was a complete disaster. The difference to me is that despite Hubs growing pains, we were in every game (minus 2) and had a chance to win in the second half. To me there was hope last year but even I did not have a lot of hope in '01! But I also think we really had only 5-6 ACC starter level talents on the team last year and they just didn't mesh well. (or stay healthy)

Luckily, Hubs grew tremendously; Hubs restocked the talent to the early Roy level; The team seems to play with joy; and we have unprecedented depth = Goodbye PTSD and hello familiar territory! Hubs will have us back in the Natty game by next season at the latest-How is that for a Hot Take?!

TPFK you are 1 of the 4 best posters on this board, but that 8-20 team may been the least talented squad in UNC history even with the Matt D nonsense.
The 2020 team that went 14-19 had enough talent to win 22 games but injuries and covid killed that season.
As I said I really love HD and everything he stands for but I can't excuse the coaching job he did last season. Too much talent to let it go off the track like that.

I'm not trying to discount at all what Brady did for us the previous year, but it is unfathomable to me that one good player makes the difference between going all the way to the championship game (and a probable natty save for a bum ankle) and the miserable mystery of last year. Something more than that was at play....

BUT IF DONTREZ STYLES HAD BEEN ALLOWED TO PLAY MORE, WE WOULD HAVE WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP last year, no question about it...

...Har har.

Luckily, Hubs grew tremendously; Hubs restocked the talent to the early Roy level; The team seems to play with joy; and we have unprecedented depth = Goodbye PTSD and hello familiar territory! Hubs will have us back in the Natty game by next season at the latest-How is that for a Hot Take?!
We'll see, the talent is there for a deep, deep run, and had it last year IMO.
It's up to him to "Unleash the Dobermans".

Players need real minutes in order to develop. And if not for their sake, you never know when we'll need them for our sake. Additionally, I can't help it but it doesn't sit well with me to see players enter the portal who have good potential and cared enough for us to commit to us, only to be replaced by players looking for a place to escape to. It sticks in my craw, and I don't even know what my craw is. I want to keep our guys happy enough to stick around, even if that fails to result in the best performance. That being said, I know that with honest assessment, a player might be better off elsewhere.
I think a lot of what's happening right now is based off last year's results. If last year went more to plan and we won a lot of games playing the way Hubert coached, there wouldn't be as much obsession right now about playing his bench.

It's a hard comparison for me too since Roy often times had 1st round picks on the bench. Of course you're going to play Ed Davis, Brice Johnson, Nas Little some minutes. Those guys are really talented. And to me, I can go the other side too. Was it a great thing that Roy played Desmond Hubert, Joel James, and Jackson Simmons for almost 30 combined minutes per game in spite of starting PJ Hairston? I don't know if that's a positive. But at least he played his bench!

Also, when it mattered the most.... Roy played 8 guys double digit minutes in the 2005 title game (in a game that was close the entire way). Roy played 7 guys non-garbage time minutes in the 2009 title game. Ty Lawson played 37 minutes. Roy played 8 guys at least 9 minutes (and 4 starters played over 30 min) in the 2016 title game. Roy played 8 guys double digit minutes (4 starters played 30 minutes plus) in the 2017 title game. And all of those teams had an NBA guy coming off the bench. So we're not talking about hockey line changes for legitimate minutes. And those were Roy's best teams.

And I did a broad check of the last 10-15 National Championship games. i don't think I counted one team that played more than 8 guys 10+ minutes. The water is usually shut off at 7 or 8 and the most liberal bench usage goes 1, maybe 2, more guys getting like 3-5 minutes. So when the games mean the most, coaches don't mess around.

Might be slightly unfair to compare March to the regular season, but wanted to present that.

Reactions: tarwhiz
I think a lot of what's happening right now is based off last year's results. If last year went more to plan and we won a lot of games playing the way Hubert coached, there wouldn't be as much obsession right now about playing his bench.

It's a hard comparison for me too since Roy often times had 1st round picks on the bench. Of course you're going to play Ed Davis, Brice Johnson, Nas Little some minutes. Those guys are really talented. And to me, I can go the other side too. Was it a great thing that Roy played Desmond Hubert, Joel James, and Jackson Simmons for almost 30 combined minutes per game in spite of starting PJ Hairston? I don't know if that's a positive. But at least he played his bench!

Also, when it mattered the most.... Roy played 8 guys double digit minutes in the 2005 title game (in a game that was close the entire way). Roy played 7 guys non-garbage time minutes in the 2009 title game. Ty Lawson played 37 minutes. Roy played 8 guys at least 9 minutes (and 4 starters played over 30 min) in the 2016 title game. Roy played 8 guys double digit minutes (4 starters played 30 minutes plus) in the 2017 title game. And all of those teams had an NBA guy coming off the bench. So we're not talking about hockey line changes for legitimate minutes. And those were Roy's best teams.

And I did a broad check of the last 10-15 National Championship games. i don't think I counted one team that played more than 8 guys 10+ minutes. The water is usually shut off at 7 or 8 and the most liberal bench usage goes 1, maybe 2, more guys getting like 3-5 minutes. So when the games mean the most, coaches don't mess around.

Might be slightly unfair to compare March to the regular season, but wanted to present that.
lol, if nothing else you get an A on your homework.

You play who has earned the right to play! Most teams don't have more than 8 who are worthy, hardworking, skilled enough, and team oriented enough to play them.....we do!

Good stuff

You play who has earned the right to play! Most teams don't have more than 8 who are worthy, hardworking, skilled enough, and team oriented enough to play them.....we do!
Yes, most National Championship winning teams don’t have more than 8 players worthy of playing minutes. Sure.

Exactly how much would that bet be for TP? I mean, considering current events that strikes me as a bigger gamble than it would have a year ago. I do NOT gamble, I just don't but pretty sure there will be several eager to line up to take that bet...LOL

...with how many former Top 100 players on that roster? With how many McD all Americans on that roster? There are Power 5 schools who break rules and end up with less talent than what we had; there are championship teams that won with much less than that in the last 5 years alone.

But sure, beat this horse till it dies.

Yes, most National Championship winning teams don’t have more than 8 players worthy of playing minutes. Sure.
I don't actually bet either due to my spouse threatening death if I lose! (will all those peeps lining up also line up to say, "my bad!" when it happens?) And I can only see one of two possibilities from the cryptic post by SDung:
1. He finally said something intelligent and without being negative towards the Heels! (most likely because he got it from someone highly intelligent!)
OR
2. He decided to use the lowest form of comedy, Sarcasm, because it is the last bastion of those with no cogent ideas!

The silly thing is most teams DO have more than 8 peeps with the potential to be good but for many reasons like antiquated ideas about how many you can play; selfish attitudes; a glut at their position; camaraderie; coaches who simply don't develop their bench; injury and other factors they simply don't get the chance! Isn't it great that OUR coach seems to be giving them all the chance to prove themselves worthy?!

FTR: I don't even know what the Rose quote refers to so I can't comment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT