ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Hubert

Status
Not open for further replies.
This in theory should be a better roster than last year's and I thought last year we improved from the start of the season to the end. This year we are going to wrong way!
This roster is worse… yes a bit more experienced but brooks is better than McCoy.. Sharpe better than Manek.. and Kessler is better than Garcia has shown.. this roster stinks

This roster is worse… yes a bit more experienced but brooks is better than McCoy.. Sharpe better than Manek.. and Kessler is better than Garcia has shown.. this roster stinks
Yeah... this group of guys just don't seem to give a damn. Their body language and on-court presence are just... "whatever."

EVERY member of the coaching staff knows what it's like to bleed for the team. This is why I'm not quite as critical, as some seem to be, of the coaches. All those guys were totally committed to UNC, and they still are- Davis, Lebo, May, Manuel, Sullivan. All those guys were winners and they played their guts out for the school, their coaches and their teammates.

This group of guys just seem disinterested and lost. The coaching is part of it, for sure. I don't know if this staff has what it takes to coach a winning program. But, I know they were all coached by winners and they, themselves, were all winners and gave it everything they had. So, the coaches know what it takes, at the very least. I just think there's a distinct lack of camaraderie with this group of players.

I think it may get much worse before it gets better.

Watch the very first question. I love Hubert but the man is lost. Damn shame…

please post this in its own thread. it needs to be seen by our fan base. hubert is lost. has zero plan to improve this thing. and has now went from telling us most of our starting lineup is the best in the country to now saying we are less talented than wake forest? he’s in over his head but he’s not stupid. he sees the writing on the wall and he knows he better start throwing these kids under the bus (as if he wasn’t the key recruiter for all of them) in hopes that it buys him more time.

This is what you get when you hire a guy that isn't qualified......and he is NOT qualified.
No he isn’t qualified but Roy placed him in a position that obviously was a no win situation. This is all on Roy. Hubert wouldn’t have turned down the offer regardless, even knowing he would be in over his head. No one in his shoes would turn down that job. I don’t blame Hubert as much as I blame the AD and Roy Williams.

Reactions: Deezheelz
Thanks, Roy. You really screwed us on your way out, didn't you? Good job!

93244-C66-7395-412-B-B178-333697146983.gif

I see a lot of UNC “fans” who (1) are incredibly spoiled, (2) hilariously think they can coach, and (3) selfishly put down players and coaches instead of simply rooting for their team. Are you there for the team or is the team there for you? You guys would have crucified Dean in his first year.

Reactions: strummingram
please post this in its own thread. it needs to be seen by our fan base. hubert is lost. has zero plan to improve this thing. and has now went from telling us most of our starting lineup is the best in the country to now saying we are less talented than wake forest? he’s in over his head but he’s not stupid. he sees the writing on the wall and he knows he better start throwing these kids under the bus (as if he wasn’t the key recruiter for all of them) in hopes that it buys him more time.
No he finally told the truth…..this team have talent but very low basketball IQ. Now I hope he will stop making those hyped up statements

Reactions: DrJaaay

I see a lot of UNC “fans” who (1) are incredibly spoiled, (2) hilariously think they can coach, and (3) selfishly put down players and coaches instead of simply rooting for their team. Are you there for the team or is the team there for you? You guys would have crucified Dean in his first year.
They don't want to accept that Hubert Davis is the coach! He's here, he's who they chose and he's our coach, too.

Reactions: DaSheed
They don't want to accept that Hubert Davis is the coach! He's here, he's who they chose and he's our coach, too.
He is who Roy chose. And just because he is here makes no never mind if he can’t coach. Wake up for Christs sake. I’ve seen high school teams play better defense, and offense. This is a train wreck of epic proportions. Personally I’m not a gluten for punishment. This will only get worse. Did you watch the presser? I feel sorry for the guy. In way over his head.

He is who Roy chose. And just because he is here makes no never mind if he can’t coach. Wake up for Christs sake. I’ve seen high school teams play better defense, and offense. This is a train wreck of epic proportions. Personally I’m not a gluten for punishment. This will only get worse. Did you watch the presser? I feel sorry for the guy. In way over his head.
You're not a gluten for punishment? Are you sure.

Spare me your feigned sympathy, please.

"Fans"? LMAO. Does it make you feel like a big man to act as if those who criticize and don't look through Carolina blue glasses all the time are not real fans? Nothing is worse than you self righteous "fans".

The thing is, we're not fighting like hell, playing our asses off and losing close games. We're lying down like dogs with no clue how to play the game and getting steamrolled by average teams. This is all on the coaches as far as I'm concerned.

"Fans"? LMAO. Does it make you feel like a big man to act as if those who criticize and don't look through Carolina blue glasses all the time are not real fans? Nothing is worse than you self righteous "fans".

3-D645-F70-37-C5-411-D-9-C99-DDF38381789-C.png

Looks like I struck a nerve. This fanbase is so entitled. Cannot handle any adversity. The college basketball of old is gone, this is a new landscape and we all have to adapt to it. Nothing screams “Big Man” more than some D-bag who is certain that he can make better decisions than the coaches or players.

I don't think Hubert is going anywhere this year or next year. And at this point, I'm fully convinced that this was an extremely poor hire that will be at least a 3-5 year setback.

3-D645-F70-37-C5-411-D-9-C99-DDF38381789-C.png

Looks like I struck a nerve. This fanbase is so entitled. Cannot handle any adversity. The college basketball of old is gone, this is a new landscape and we all have to adapt to it. Nothing screams “Big Man” more than some D-bag who is certain that he can make better decisions than the coaches or players.
You didn't strike anything. I've been a UNC fan since Dennis Wuycik played here. That doesn't mean I have to act like everything is great when it's a complete cluster ****. As for your opinion of fans who don't sit on their hands while the walls are crumbling down, I couldn't care less.

I don't think Hubert is going anywhere this year or next year. And at this point, I'm fully convinced that this was an extremely poor hire that will be at least a 3-5 year setback.
You mean hiring a guy as CEO who's done nothing but carry a clipboard around for 10 years wasn't a good hire?

You didn't strike anything. I've been a UNC fan since Dennis Wuycik played here. That doesn't mean I have to act like everything is great when it's a complete cluster ****. As for your opinion of fans who don't sit on their hands while the walls are crumbling down, I couldn't care less.
I’m living rent free in your head at this point. You said Roy screwed us on his way out. Your words. Not mine. Since you’ve been a fan for so long, I’m sure Roy would love to hear your opinion. Hubert also. Please share it with them the next time you run into them and let us know how that works out for you.

you can put the blame on these group of players all you want but I know for a fact this team has better talent than the teams we are losing to. So that to me, seems like a coaching issue. I don’t want to hear “Roy couldn’t work with them either”. Roy was old and going downhill at that point which is why he retired. Roy’s good days were past him. If it somehow is the players, I think it’s the fact that they have already given up on Hubert.

I’m living rent free in your head at this point. You said Roy screwed us on his way out. Your words. Not mine. Since you’ve been a fan for so long, I’m sure Roy would love to hear your opinion. Hubert also. Please share it with them the next time you run into them and let us know how that works out for you.
LMFAO

2nd time since 1954 that we lost 2 games in a row by 20 points-last time 2001. No NCAA tournament this year.
It can't get any worst unless we lose to the cow patties.

Offense is 27th in Kenpom, defense is 82nd. We have a lot of turnovers and could use better table setting, but we gave up 98 points to Wake. The defense is the primary problem.

To anyone saying "Who was your home run hire?", Texas just got Chris Beard from Texas Tech this year. Did we even try to pursue him? He was clearly open to moving for a raise. Oats, Musselman, Moser, etc. The choice was not limited to Few, Hubert, and Wes.

Last edited:
Things won't improve until Hubert switches defenses.

If Hubert doesn't have a single coach on his staff who can teach zone D, then that is on him.

The thing is, we're not fighting like hell, playing our asses off and losing close games. We're lying down like dogs with no clue how to play the game and getting steamrolled by average teams. This is all on the coaches as far as I'm concerned.
why don't you just copy your post and save it so that every new thread that comes up you can just copy and paste your response. You'll save yourself a ton of time and we already know what all of your posts are going to say anyway!!

What is bombing to you? Losing record, missing the tournament a couple of times?
Those sound like reasonable measures.

Pomeroy thinks we'll go 8-5 the rest of the regular season. Prior to the Wake disappointment, Lunardi had us seeded #9.

The problem is that we may be a legit top 40-50 team, but this is UNC and that isn't good enough.

Fortunately for Hubert, the ACC is down this season, so top 40-50 could be good enough for 3rd in the conference, give or take.

As I said elsewhere, UNC won't accept a Sendek. Being merely pretty good, isn't good enough. But I still think Hubert will (and should) get a few years to establish himself.

Reactions: tarheel0910
We should win our next 3 games. Va Tech might be tough, but it and the next 2 are home games. We haven't lost at home yet this season.

I imagine we'll all feel better then.

Offense is 27th in Kenpom, defense is 82nd. We have a lot of turnovers and could use better table setting, but we have up 98 points to Wake. The defense is the primary problem.

To anyone saying "Who was your home run hire?", Texas just got Chris Beard from Texas Tech this year. Did we even try to pursue him? He was clearly open to moving for a raise. Oats, Musselman, Poser, etc. The choice was not limited to Few, Hubert, and Wes.
All could have been good choices, all would be getting roasted now as well by the fan base if they thought a switch would be instantly flipped with their hire. Oates would have been the biggest departure from the "this isn't Carolina basketball" complaints that is a staple here. He is a total analytical guy with volume 3's and his recruiting style would be a departure as well.

I like Oates, like Poser more, he would face absolutely the same issues on this level, plenty of questions for him even now at Oklahoma, where he could not keep Manek, highly doubt he gets Manek or Garcia if he was our choice. He would be facing the firing squad as well by now with our fanbase. With time maybe he makes it maybe not.

I do not see any being a clear choice over what Hubert was/is bringing to the table. Going to be a tough go for any of them especially early on. This team was struggling after a horrid year nowhere near qualifying for the cancelled NCAA tourney followed by a year with high expectations ending up as a middling year with a blowout loss in the 1st round. Plus the cupboard was bare, needed immediate big help from the portal after departures. Mando only front line at all, he may have left too, depending on the hire, along with the guards.

My point is any of the above names would of made sense, as did Hubert, they all would of had their hands FULL for this year, and I would not be calling for any of their heads after a 1st half of the year struggle. Still 100% with Hubert, hope he is here a long time, but it will be difficult.

Last edited:
highly doubt he gets Manek or Garcia if he was our choice.
Yikes.

Imagine our team without those guys.

Our D might be somewhat better, but think about where the scoring would have to come from.

OTOH, Oklahoma got Tanner Groves to replace Manek, and Jordan Goldwire to step in at point. Both are doing quite well. Obviously Goldwire wouldn't have come here, but Groves would be fine here, and who else...?

Reactions: dtodd4475
Dean and Roy were 1 in-a-million. I hope Coach Davis and staff can turn this around. That presser opening was discouraging, I'm sure reflective of his disappointment in how things are going.

Coach Williams, love him forever, but he can't be fired, and is not the AD. Is it true that he directed hiring Coach Davis? I understand Roy's loyalty and I feel HD's ability is better than what has been shown thus far, but if so, what a hindsight mistake on bubba's part, even if the hire was directed more by the PTB. He is the one who will bear the brunt of it if things continue going south. Considering the subpar performances of CBB and FB, the (I think) 2 primary revenue-driving programs, is Bubba's reputation taking hits?

Last edited:
I think everything would look better if we just switched the defense to a zone. Eliminating the easy drives into the paint, eliminating the times Manek is isolated on defense; we just need to adjust.

The problem is we are still awaiting for any Tar Heel coach to make the adjustment.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT