ADVERTISEMENT

Germanwings A320

gteeitup

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2001
Columbia, SC
these things, much like tornadoes and shark attacks, fascinate me.

so, are they now saying there was no distress signal?...first i heard there was one, and now no?

Yea i have a morbid fasination too. Smithsonian channel has a series on why planes crash which is awesome. Its always a culmination of human errors and mechanical failures. For the plane to descend so much without an emergency signal is really strange. The pilots must have been incapacitated. Maybe sudden cabin pressure loss.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

sounds like they only located a part of a black box...that will make it more difficult to determine what happened.

some perspective, they found boxes from 9/11.

my goodness

Originally posted by gteeitup:
sounds like they only located a part of a black box...that will make it more difficult to determine what happened.

some perspective, they found boxes from 9/11.

my goodness
They said that when the plane hit it was traveling so fast that the wreckage is scattered over such a large area. And that area is not easily traversed. I imagine that it will be quite difficult to find that black box. But that got me thinking, why don't they have homing devices in those? Wouldn't that make sense? I can't believe I'm the first to have thought that.

No you're not the first to think of it. It came up after the plane was lost last year. It boggles the mind they dont spend the relatively tiny amount of money to put gps on each flight's data recorder.

thought they had those...what would they have been referring to when they said "it would be like trying to hear a dog whistle"?

I would think it would be some GPS transponder. How hard would that be to do?

this is what i mentioned earlier....

"At the crash site, a senior official working on the investigation said, workers found the casing of the plane's other black box, the flight data recorder, but the memory card containing data on the plane's altitude, speed, location and condition was not inside, apparently having been thrown loose or destroyed by the impact."

Cant believe in this day with what we've experienced that any aviation governing body of any country would allow for a pilot to be by himself in a cockpit. Completely avoidable tragedy.

Originally posted by heelmanwilm:

Cant believe in this day with what we've experienced that any aviation governing body of any country would allow for a pilot to be by himself in a cockpit. Completely avoidable tragedy.
Yep . . and I would say that those that allow such are about to have changes implemented to forbid this scenario from ever happening again.

Co-pilot locked the pilot out of the cockpit I heard

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

Co-pilot locked the pilot out of the cockpit I heard
Correct. There is a way to re-enter the cockpit when the door is locked, like if a pilot were to lose consciousness. But it apparently requires a 5-minute wait. Surely the co-pilot was aware of that. Like others have said, this will bring about significant changes in protocol.

Just tragic for the families. I've never understood how someone can snap and decide to take the lives of so many others like that. You want to off yourself? Go right ahead. That's between you and God. But leave other people out of it.

well more info coming out and this whole tragedy centers on this 28 yr old co pilot from Germany

A couple of key ??s in my mind First this fellow was Young ,very young and inexperienced , with about 600 hours of flight time and just graduated from flight school a 1.5 years ago

Within that time he is flying a world class airplane...too soon Imo and according to many experts I have watched this am, this would never happen in US

The Euros have very lax standards/requirements IMO and they need to change A S AP regarding the EXperience of their flight crews

the guy this am from France or Germany that has ruled out terrorism..for the time being...is speaking/acting too hastily imo

As we speak the investigators' are looking at EVERY detail of this guys past

So far no connections to known terror groups but that could change.

If this is suicide by airplane , the guy's soul will burn in hell for eternity

My sympathies and thoughts go out to the families of 149 human beings this POS took with him, including two from a nearby town here in NOVA

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/26/europe/france-germanwings-plane-crash-main/index.html

cnn has the best coverage of all this...the experts are saying the captain or flight attendent(s) can override in a 30 second window to open cockpit door.

i'm listening on satellite radio though, so i hope i heard that correctly...they did say that sweeping changes will take place almost immediately with regards to single person in cockpit rule.

g I do not think that is correct. I heard this am from several different experts that IF the door is locked, then the pilot/copilot from WITHIN the cockpit has complete control of the door .There is NOTHING that anyone on the outside can do to open that door. It is in the hands of whomever is in the cockpit

This was done after 9/11 so that NO ONE other than the crew in the cockpit could enter without their control

Manual lever engaged on the inside prevented the keypad on the outside from functioning. Said the co-pilot had normal breathing patterns right up until impact, and that he ignored all the pounding on the door from the pilot.

Seems like there should be a two-person rule in the cockpit at all times... At least one should be a pilot who's not bent on murder/suicide...
frown.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Nuk'EM Heels:

Seems like there should be a two-person rule in the cockpit at all times... At least one should be a pilot who's not bent on murder/suicide...
frown.r191677.gif
I think that has been the rule in the USA since 9/11.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT