ADVERTISEMENT

GG decommitting?

I dont understand what is the hold up in making the announcement. It was a done deal days ago.
I’m sure mama wants to make it a big deal considering she didn’t take part in the UNC announcement. Makes perfect sense for him to do it at the Peach Jam (which is in SC). The event starts this Saturday.

So his word can not be trusted?.
I think he truly wanted to be a Tar Heel. Reclassification was offered to him but he passed as I think his camp knew he wouldn’t be the feature guy on a loaded veteran squad. Throw in the NIL money, mom wanting him to go to SC and being able to be the guy there and get to the NBA a year early etc. Can’t imagine how his home life has been with him and his dad wanting him to go to UNC and his mom and sister wanting him to go to SC. Of course it would’ve been nice for him to go to UNC, get drafted top 5 and quiet all the schools and recruiters that UNC doesn’t put guys in the NBA anymore but I much rather have the 3-4 year guys over the one and done guys for various reasons, such as this one.

He could have done this a month ago and be at UNC with the chance to win a national championship.

Now he will got to USC and win 10 games and then go pro.

Clearly not the brightest bulb in the box

Reactions: heelfan1961
GG will be option #1 at South Carolina. Opposing teams will be fixated on him, looking to shut him down each and every game. Reminds me of a story, Ron Mercer likes to tell when Rick Pitino was recruiting him. It’s a classic:

Pitino: "Who else is on your list?"

Mercer: "Tennessee."

Pitino: "Do you know [former Tennessee star] Allan Houston?"

Mercer: "Yes, he's one of my favorite players."

Pitino: "Do you remember what we did to him?"

Mercer: "Held him to four points."

Pitino: "That's how we're going to do you if you go to Tennessee."

"And when I looked at his face, he wasn't kidding, either," Mercer said yesterday to laughter.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Mercer, the most celebrated high school player in the country in 1995, chose Kentucky.

The rest, as the story goes, is history. Championship history.

Well he’s entitilted to do what’s best for him. But how can anyone say this kids a good kid. He made a commitment then goes and tells the people it’s all rumors and all along he was lying. I certaintly hope he struggles mightily at USC.

Props to Jamie Shaw he had it first and The majority of people said it was BS even gg said rumors and that dude just went all in with the story

I know this had to be a tough decision for him and his family. I won't say anything personally bad against him, but (I will be petty) and I won't wish him good luck at not-the-real-USC. I hope they suck royally, but if by some miracle they make the dance I pray that we get to beat the snot out of those cocks.
If USC makes the Tournament (and that’s a big if), that’s a distinct possibility. The committee has a great sense of humor as long as it relates to television ratings.

I know this had to be a tough decision for him and his family. I won't say anything personally bad against him, but (I will be petty) and I won't wish him good luck at not-the-real-USC. I hope they suck royally, but if by some miracle they make the dance I pray that we get to beat the snot out of those cocks.
I'm just glad he's not coming to UNC. I wasn't all that thrilled when he did his official "hat choice" production. Turns out that was all BS. If you can't trust someone to keep their word and honor the obligation and opportunity, then I don't want them anywhere near what I hold dear. Carry yourself somewhere else with that kind of lack-of-character and lack of integrity.

I don't even think it was a "tough decision." I think it was "how much attention can I draw to myself?" I sincerely hope that HD and the staff can manage to work the portal and future recruiting, with the benefits of NIL, and avoid every single one of these self-centered OAD's.

It’s official now . He decommited . On to next year! I’ll be pulling hard for every team he goes against. The way this was handled was embarrassing and indicative of who he and his family truly are.

Reactions: heelfan1961
When it comes to USCjr, Shaw is an advocate more than a reporter, so I'm sure he relished the shenanigans all the while he was privy to them.
And I let him know how much of a gleeful tool boy he is.
Brian Rauf is a little sc guy as well but not bias and I respect him.

My .02 worth?

Fellow posters...there has never been 1 player that could define Carolina BB.
Wish the kid well and move along. There are others in the pipeline that will take his place and we will win with those.

Coach Smith told me that if I came to Carolina, we would have the chance to win a National Championship, and if I did not come to Carolina, they would still have the chance to win a National Championship. It was readily apparent that he wanted players who wanted to be Tar Heels, and, if not, you should continue to hunt for your place to be.

Personally, I do not like the way the family has handled the recruitment, but I guarantee you that in the future he will have wished that he had stayed with his initial decision. I don't think he is college ready as many, or at least his inner circle
believe he is. He knew months ago that he was going to re-class and also waited until there were no vacancies to wreck his recruitment.

I hope that he will fare well his one year in college or other avenues, and that he can make some coin along the way. He is a good kid and is getting some seriously bad advice as I see it.

In the vast majority of the recruitments I have seen over the years, if you can’t win over the mom then your chance of landing the kid is extremely slim. Carolina evidently never won over the mom according to things I’ve read.

So moving forward what’s the learning lesson here for HD and the staff. We all know they went all in on GG and did get the commitment so you can’t fault them for that. Was this just a perfect storm of events? Or is this going to be the norm moving forward especially with NIL in place. The whole reclass thing has been done in the past for a number of players so that’s not entirely new. But do you focus more on the 15-30 range of players? Those ones you would assume are less likely to run into the same issue

just to be clear, he was probably going to scarolina before martin was canned…not saying as an advocate for them, but it was supposed to be a lebron/miami heat moment with a college angle with three other kids.

Reactions: uncfootball-
If this was in fact due to his mom, shame on her putting this kid through all this drama. Not a good look..

Lots of folks upset about the turn of events. But as TarHeel75 said above we want kids that want to be Tar Heels and there are great kids out there that want to be part of the family. So trust in Hubert and if folks don’t want to be here then it’s in our best interests to move on and forget they exist.

Reactions: Occy64
Lots of folks upset about the turn of events. But as TarHeel75 said above we want kids that want to be Tar Heels and there are great kids out there that want to be part of the family. So trust in Hubert and if folks don’t want to be here then it’s in our best interests to move on and forget they exist.

Thats the thing, it looks GG himself wants to stay in 23, and go to his dream school UNC. Mom is doing whats best for herself.

Crummy part is Hubert and the staff made many trips to see GG play even after he committed. Man hours invested plus that $5 a gallon gas took a chunk out of the budget.

Reactions: Sk1310
So moving forward what’s the learning lesson here for HD and the staff. We all know they went all in on GG and did get the commitment so you can’t fault them for that. Was this just a perfect storm of events? Or is this going to be the norm moving forward especially with NIL in place. The whole reclass thing has been done in the past for a number of players so that’s not entirely new. But do you focus more on the 15-30 range of players? Those ones you would assume are less likely to run into the same issue
This reflects part of the reason Roy would reflexively steer clear of relass kids. Most of the time it meant they were in too big a hurry to be somewhere other than college, and/or there were people behind the scenes pushing for it for not-good reasons.

The good news with the reclass is we know now, as opposed to a last-minute deal. The other good news is we got a net "win" in getting a mature graduate in Nance as opposed to a HS kid out a year early who'd only be here for a year anyway.

A lot to unwrap here. Seems to be that mama was strongly in play here. And she wanted him to stay home. But then again, she was that way all along and he picked UNC. To his reclassification......did Hubert and staff not think there was a chance he would reclassify and recruited over that possibility with the kid from Northwestern, who will probably be a role player, to tie up all of their scholarships? I doubt it has anything to do with NIL. If UNC basketball can't outbid South Carolina, leaner days are ahead of us. I guess mama, and the mafia around him, may have convinced him that he could be the first, second, and third option at USC as they have no other players. A lone superstar that can do whatever he wants. He can put up gaudy stats in his audition for his place in the lottery. He wouldn't be able to roll those type of numbers, and be the solo star at UNC.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyinVA
In the vast majority of the recruitments I have seen over the years, if you can’t win over the mom then your chance of landing the kid is extremely slim. Carolina evidently never won over the mom according to things I’ve read.
Long after Rasheed Wallace left the Tar Heels for the NBA, Dean Smith would call Rasheed’s Mom (Jackie) every year to sing her Happy Birthday. Think about that.

Reactions: LakeHickoryHeel
A lot to unwrap here. Seems to be that mama was strongly in play here. And she wanted him to stay home. But then again, she was that way all along and he picked UNC. To his reclassification......did Hubert and staff not think there was a chance he would reclassify and recruited over that possibility with the kid from Northwestern, who will probably be a role player, to tie up all of their scholarships? I doubt it has anything to do with NIL. If UNC basketball can't outbid South Carolina, leaner days are ahead of us. I guess mama, and the mafia around him, may have convinced him that he could be the first, second, and third option at USC as they have no other players. A lo e superstar that can do whatever he wants. He can put up gaudy stats in his audition for his place in the lottery. He wouldn't be able to roll those type of numbers, and be the solo star at UNC.
I do believe you are vastly underestimating “the kid from nw”. JMO

Was an impossible situation in regards to his mom. She wanted her son to go to her alma mater and be close to home with his sister. Hubert is good but he can’t move the university to please mama.

I am disappointed that UNC does not get a number 1 in the country recruit next year, but not as disappointed that we missed out on a high school senior for 1 year. Hopefully we replace him with a top 50 3-4 year guy. NIL takes him away, but NIL will keep a lot of great players in college for 4 years. (See Armando Bacot).

What I am impressed with, again, is HD. I do not see him crying on the sidelines. He is moving on with kindness. I am sure the conversation with GG went something like: We sure will miss you, but in the end you need to do what is right for you and your family.

History will tell how good a coach and recruiter HD is, but he is already a man I would send my kid to learn from.

I do believe you are vastly underestimating “the kid from nw”. JMO

No. He is a good player, and going to help. But he is far from the level of talent that Jackson is. If so, he would have been in the league a couple years ago and not looking for that one last stop to increase his visibility in hopes of a shot at the league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT