ADVERTISEMENT

GG decommitting?

I'm afraid you are right about the offer providing the answer on GG. Oh well, enjoy your nightly ass-whuppins at lil Carolina.

I ONLY want players at Carolina who want to be at Carolina.

To quote Wild Bill from the movie Tombstone, "Well,... bye."
Guys, this whole thing will come down to when GG wants to go to the NBA. Unfortunately, his emergence as a now-physically-mature #1 player may have accelerated that time-table by a year, triggering a reclass.

This would thus put us behind the 8-ball since we gave our last '22 scholly to Nance, on the assumption that GG's decision to not reclassify was etched in stone.

GG and his dad have always wanted to come to UNC, but keep in mind that there are some in his camp (and even family) that have never wanted him here.

Finally, if it does indeed go south on us and he reclasses and decommits, ask yourselves this:
Who would have the biggest one-year impact toward our immediate 22-23 goals?...
A grad-aged Nance? Or a HS-Senior-aged GG?
As much as I like GG, my answer would firmly be the former.

Guys, this whole thing will come down to when GG wants to go to the NBA. Unfortunately, his emergence as a now-physically-mature #1 player may have accelerated that time-table by a year, triggering a reclass.

This would thus put us behind the 8-ball since we gave our last '22 scholly to Nance, on the assumption that GG's decision to not reclassify was etched in stone.

GG and his dad have always wanted to come to UNC, but keep in mind that there are some in his camp (and even family) that have never wanted him here.

Finally, if it does indeed go south on us and he reclasses and decommits, ask yourselves this:
Who would have the biggest one-year impact toward our immediate 22-23 goals?...
A grad-aged Nance? Or a HS-Senior-aged GG?
As much as I like GG, my answer would firmly be the former.
Momma...

Kind of similar to uk’s Shaedon Sharpe drama. Not exactly, but another kid, and his handlers, playing a program.
None and Done

Last edited:
Reactions: strummingram
He could come without a scholarship. Depends on whether he wants to come with a chance for a championship or to get the most minutes.

Reactions: Tom79
FWIW, GG still has his UNC commitment Tweet pinned and the latest Twitter accounts he’s following have UNC connections. One of them being Jawad Williams.

Zayden Highs team faced off against Jackson’s CP3 team fairly recently..I’m pretty sure High had 25+ against them, with Gg guarding him for the majority of the time! Zayden High would be a great pick up…the kid can play
I’d rather have High. We’d have him for 2-3 years, maybe 4. I’ll take that over a flyby year by Jackson.

Maybe Washington isn't ready to play this yr , last I heard he wasn't cleard yet .. im hearing GG to reclassify 22 & unc fwiw
IF there is any truth to any of that, does GG still need to be a walk on? or if Washington does redshirt, does that mean you can then reassign that scholarship to someone else for that one year?

Imagine this 2022/2023 Tar Heel team with GG?!
EDB203-E8-60-DE-41-F4-9801-B8-B9-FCA8-B63-E.gif

Agree! Let it play out, over the next several weeks, and then a decision will probably be made.

I think we are going to have an answer pretty much at the same time that this thread gets to 9 pages.

At least Coach Hu has a contingency plan and I think they know what’s going on if they met with him last week

Even if GG sticks to the original plan, we could use another front line guy.

Assuming Armando and Caleb leave after this year, we have 2 more scholarships.

He re posted something on his Instagram story . (I’m paraphrasing) but was something along the lines of “people need to stop disrespecting gg and his family . He’s going to do what’s best for him and his family and not what’ convienent to us (the guy posting it was called tar.heel.zone) “. to me that seems pretty clear he’s gone.. ohh well.

At minimum, GG is a Top 10 pick next season regardless of his performance at USC.

I'm not going to blame the family for making as much NIL money as they can. They are not paying it. I want GG at UNC, but I'm already over it. The landscape is different now, but the Portal is the equalizer if you miss out on a top recruit.

If he goes there It's all about the money folks. If he invests his money wisely he is set for life and his parents also. I don't know their financial situation, but having enough money coming in and not having to worry about making ends meet every paycheck is a good feeling. I don't blame USC either, they need to develop some excitement and you never know who they may get next. Cam Scott may be next. USC probably will not make the NCAA tournament this season with GG, but the camp is not worried about that. It's all about money and taking care of your family and not having to worry about bills. Being a part of an NCAA title means nothing to them.

Hubert understands this and probably is not upset at all. He knows this is part of the recruitment world right now.

Keep your eye on the prize. At minimum, the Heels roll into MSG to the Elite Eight this season.

Somebody dumb this down for me. How in the world could GG make more NIL money at South Carolina than North Carolina? Why doesn’t he just walk-on at UNC. Make a ton of NIL money. Be on television each and every week with the best television ratings in basketball, win a Championship and then go #1 or darn close to it in the NBA Draft? Seems like a no brainer. What am I missing?! Worst case scenario is a current player may have to redshirt.

Somebody dumb this down for me. How in the world could GG make more NIL money at South Carolina than North Carolina? Why doesn’t he just walk-on at UNC. Make a ton of NIL money. Be on television each and every week with the best television ratings in basketball, win a Championship and then go #1 or darn close to it in the NBA Draft? Seems like a no brainer. What am I missing?! Worst case scenario is a current player may have to redshirt.
He can make more money than Bacot is making just my doing some simple math. There are dozens of USC alumni that own businesses that will hire GG to be a spokesman for them. GG can show up for 1-2 of their events and sign autographs and smile. I would not be shocked to see him ink several 100K deals just to show up and smile at events. It's all legal under NIL. Bacot has 6-7 of these contracts.

GG will probably get the use of a high valued car for a year though a local dealership.

He can't make the money in high school in South Carolina per state law, but he can do it in college.

It's all about money, and he can make a lot of it.

Big time recruits that are required to live up to the hype in order to sustain draft projection actually prefer less exposure than being seen every week. The less GM's know the more intriguing a prospect he is to them. See Shaedon Sharpe

living in cola, the money is here…plus, when a university is allowed to help facilitate nil deals, everyone, almost everyone anyway, is on the same level as far as income…exposure and competition is a different conversation however, and he’ll be far lacking in those areas…but in reality, nance right now is a better fit for the “run it back” squad because gg will be gone next year anyway.

also, imo, there is nothing more enticing to young athlete than being the bmoc, literally, among thousands of other athletes…the prized qb transfer from oklahoma has at least three deal right now with projected values close to $2mill…not bad for an also average football team.

He can make more money than Bacot is making just my doing some simple math. There are dozens of USC alumni that own businesses that will hire GG to be a spokesman for them. GG can show up for 1-2 of their events and sign autographs and smile. I would not be shocked to see him ink several 100K deals just to show up and smile at events. It's all legal under NIL. Bacot has 6-7 of these contracts.

GG will probably get the use of a high valued car for a year though a local dealership.

He can't make the money in high school in South Carolina per state law, but he can do it in college.

It's all about money, and he can make a lot of it.

Well mediocre teammates will lose basketball games. Long-term that can make GG look bad. His mistakes and shortcomings will be highlighted by many...

It's all about $$ , least us working ppl are watching our retirement go poof ... while 17-18 kids are about to make millions dribbling a ball .. idc where he goes

Reactions: gobblercalls
He can't --- he can just get to the NBA quicker by reclassing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT