ADVERTISEMENT

GREAT article from our Beloved Champions about their seasons and Coach Williams!!

FranktheHeel

All-ACC
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2017
http://www.ramsclub.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=211666259

I found this article and knew right away that I had to share it with you all. This article just shows why we all love Carolina!! Once you're a Tar Heel you're always a Tarheel. I love the way these 3 talk about Coach Williams.
This line from Sean Maye sums up Roy perfectly: "You have to look at who he is to his core. For him, it’s about the people. It’s not about one individual who is bigger than the program." That's the main reason why he's so successful and his players will do anything to win within his system. He exhibits the word TEAMWORK better than anyone I have ever seen.
This line from Tyler is awesome. "When I go watch his practices, I think it’s amazing how anyone who played for Coach Williams, even at Kansas, can come in and practice and not miss a beat. He still has that same fire. When he gets into a game and gets emotional, you want that from your coach because they are into it as much as you are." Tyler, who we know played with as much heart and energy as anyone we have ever seen is showing how Roy also impacted him by having that same desire to win and be the best you can be.
Another line that stuck with me was from Kennedy: "Hearing him say we were good enough to win it meant he believed in what we could accomplish." I remember watching that video of Coach telling the team at the first practice how he believed that this team could get back and win it all. And how it gave him cold chills, because he really belived it!
For a Coach to be able to lead two teams to National Championships after losing like they did in '08 with so many expectations and in '16 at the buzzer, shows something about how he's able to connect with his players and be able to motivate them to get to another level. And let's not forget '05 how in only his second year, he was able to connect with his players and bring the school he loves back to Greatness!!
Roy Williams is not only the greatest coach we could ask for, but he's also a genuine and special person that knows how to connect with each and everyone of his players- bringing out the best versions of themselves both on and off the court.

Great find, Sir!

The previous post and the awesome article are the perfect examples of what is meant by the Tar Heel Way!

Small minded people always denigrate what they don't understand; this explains why our rivals try so hard to tear down our image!

Reactions: shun1
http://www.ramsclub.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=211666259

I found this article and knew right away that I had to share it with you all. This article just shows why we all love Carolina!! Once you're a Tar Heel you're always a Tarheel. I love the way these 3 talk about Coach Williams.
This line from Sean Maye sums up Roy perfectly: "You have to look at who he is to his core. For him, it’s about the people. It’s not about one individual who is bigger than the program." That's the main reason why he's so successful and his players will do anything to win within his system. He exhibits the word TEAMWORK better than anyone I have ever seen.
This line from Tyler is awesome. "When I go watch his practices, I think it’s amazing how anyone who played for Coach Williams, even at Kansas, can come in and practice and not miss a beat. He still has that same fire. When he gets into a game and gets emotional, you want that from your coach because they are into it as much as you are." Tyler, who we know played with as much heart and energy as anyone we have ever seen is showing how Roy also impacted him by having that same desire to win and be the best you can be.
Another line that stuck with me was from Kennedy: "Hearing him say we were good enough to win it meant he believed in what we could accomplish." I remember watching that video of Coach telling the team at the first practice how he believed that this team could get back and win it all. And how it gave him cold chills, because he really belived it!
For a Coach to be able to lead two teams to National Championships after losing like they did in '08 with so many expectations and in '16 at the buzzer, shows something about how he's able to connect with his players and be able to motivate them to get to another level. And let's not forget '05 how in only his second year, he was able to connect with his players and bring the school he loves back to Greatness!!
Roy Williams is not only the greatest coach we could ask for, but he's also a genuine and special person that knows how to connect with each and everyone of his players- bringing out the best versions of themselves both on and off the court.

This is what the dookies only dream of having. They would love to have this type of family environment, but despite 5 titles under Knight Lite, they don't. And that's what chaps their arse more than anything. Most of their former players respect their former coach, but he is not beloved by most of them. Therein lies the difference in our programs.

This is what the dookies only dream of having. They would love to have this type of family environment, but despite 5 titles under Knight Lite, they don't. And that's what chaps their arse more than anything. Most of their former players respect their former coach, but he is not beloved by most of them. Therein lies the difference in our programs.

Although different people, unique in their own right and great in their own rights as people and coaches, Dean Smith and Roy Williams share some common traits in their leadership qualities, their ability to inspire people to get the most out of their abilities and to make teamwork more than a cliche.

Glenn

Teared up when I read this!!!

SM
: It’s easy to say. It’s a lot harder to get people to come back. Time is the most valuable thing you have, and people want to give it back to the program here. Alums come back because we want the next group to be successful. That started years ago with Coach Smith. The greatest person to ever play the game went to this school. He’s still not bigger than the program. Carolina has never let one set of people or one team be bigger than the program. That’s why 60 former players come in and have dinner together before the Oregon game at the Final Four. You can’t mimic those things. It can only be built over decades of people giving time and energy to the program.

SMILE

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

ps...this also put tears in shun1's eyes

!!!!!!!!!!!! I DO LOVE MY UNC TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
"Honey, there's only one" is what the little old lady sitting in the corner chair said when the question was asked, "Now, are you talking about S. Carolina or NORTH Carolina?"

Many, many, many years ago!!!

Think of what coach Roy has done since 2003. If Kansas hits their average free throws they are the National Champions. Anything can happen in the tournament and a lot of times the best team doesn't win. Case in point 1977 injuries, 1984 bad game, 1998 couldn't throw it in the ocean vs. Utah. Now Roy has gone to 6 Final Fours in 14 years. 5 National Championship games and I guarantee if Kendall doesn't get hurt vs. Creighton we are hanging another Banner in 2012. Coach could have had 2003 ( Kansas), 2005, 2009, 2012", 2016 and 2017. Now I am not sure if we beat Villanova the year before we don't win it again the following year. However, that shows clearly who has been without a doubt the best coach. By the way coach K is the Olympic coach because Dean Smith nominated him and 2 other Tar Heels voted him in, Larry Brown and Michael. Of a panel of 12. Plus, playing with professionals. dook has 1 thing on us ACC tournament titles. That is it.

Kansas went 12-for-30 from the free-throw line in the 2003 national championship game against Syracuse, with the Orangemen going on to win the game, 81-78.

KU made just four of 17 free throws in the second half (23.5 percent), an occurrence that Ken Pomeroy himself later said that, based on chance, had a less than one in 1,000 chance of happening taking into account the 63.3 percent free-throw percentage of KU's shooters coming into the game.

So Roy had his team in perfect position to win the title had they shot a mere 50% from the line. And I don't if we'd have beaten UK in 2012 if Butter doesn't get hurt, but it's quite possible. Nobody, short of Wooden, has had a better 15 year run.

Reactions: Ozheelfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT