ADVERTISEMENT

Holy Cow, Batman - Jared Cohen returning

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
The way he looked as true frosh, I thought we'd see him become an excellent OG.

Hopefully, he has worked through all issues and it ready to live up to his full potential.

Because Cohen never enrolled at UVA, he can play for us this fall.

Reactions: Archer2
The way he looked as true frosh, I thought we'd see him become an excellent OG.

Hopefully, he has worked through all issues and it ready to live up to his full potential.

Because Cohen never enrolled at UVA, he can play for us this fall.

So how many yrs does he have left? and why did he leave in the first place?

I wonder what weight he's at or how much he's been working out an stuff. If you he truly felt like quitting when he decided against going to uva, then it could be awhile before he's back in shape and up to weight.

I am sure the coaches put a lot of thought into this situation. Whatever his reasons for leaving, the fact he wants to come back says a lot.

Do you know for certain that is what it was?

If Cohen had a bad bout of depression and overcame it, then more power to him. He has fought a demon and survived. He can be a shining light to others who battle depression.

I am not 100% certain because I am not in on the program daily, but there was a lot of rumblings about depression...

I wonder what weight he's at or how much he's been working out an stuff. If you he truly felt like quitting when he decided against going to uva, then it could be awhile before he's back in shape and up to weight.
He might be far out of shape, or his therapy might have featured a lot of exercise. Even people who have never been very athletic usually require a lot of exercise of some type to be able to control depression.

from what I hear, he is in very good shape

If it was depression or some other mental illness then I personally hope he speaks out publicly. Mental illness is stigmatized so badly that many people never seek the treatment they need. Seeing a 300 lb tough guy talking about battling depression could literally save lives for people who otherwise might not seek treatment.

If it was depression or some other mental illness then I personally hope he speaks out publicly. Mental illness is stigmatized so badly that many people never seek the treatment they need. Seeing a 300 lb tough guy talking about battling depression could literally save lives for people who otherwise might not seek treatment.
I agree 100%.

I have a friend who has a best friend from college whose son attempted suicide at college about a year and a half ago. What I was told down that grapevine is that depression among college age kids is the highest it has ever been.

My personal recommendation for overcoming most mental illness is to watch What About Bob every day for 6 months.

But in addition to that, college kids hearing that even a major conference revenue sport athlete, who played in every game as a true freshman, had to fight depression should be inspired to battle.

Reactions: uncboy10
If depression, I wonder if he could claim medical redshirt both yrs, get 6 yrs to play 4, giving him 3 yrs w us

If depression, I wonder if he could claim medical redshirt both yrs, get 6 yrs to play 4, giving him 3 yrs w us

In theory he could request a medical hardship exemption for mental illness. Who knows whether or not it would get approved or not...

In theory he could request a medical hardship exemption for mental illness. Who knows whether or not it would get approved or not...
For a UNC [player - my guess is the NCAA would say NO!.

But I think giving a year back when the player has dealt with a serious health issue, one that is medically documented, should be standard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT