ADVERTISEMENT

In a game of one on one, who you taking?

imajericho

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Pittsburgh
You can choose anyone that played for UNC besides Jordan. Their peak UNC play.

The rules.

Game to 11. Alternating possessions on made basket. Get the ball at the key on a check up. If you hit rim and miss, you gotta take it out past the 3 point line to shoot. 3s worth 2. 2s worth 1.

Who you got?

I'd prefer better ball-handling so off the top of my head:

Justin Jackson
Cam Johnson
Coby White
Cole Anthony

Of course the winner is probably the one who has fallen into disfavor, McCants.

The rules.

Game to 11. Alternating possessions on made basket. Get the ball at the key on a check up. If you hit rim and miss, you gotta take it out past the 3 point line to shoot. 3s worth 2. 2s worth 1.

Who you got?
Vince Carter. My recollection of Carter's career was full of tough made shots. He just jumped over everyone on his turnaround, and if he gets his shoulders by you......you will be on a poster.
He was also the best 6'7" shot blocker in Carolina history.
Not sure I wouldn't take him vs Jordan too, if Jordan couldn't shoot free throws under the rules you declared.
VINCE CARTER, Half man, half amazing!😎

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozheelfan
Rasheed Wallace could score from all areas and was quick enough to defend. He was long enough to swat shots even if he got beat. I would take him or Rashad McCants as two pretty tough ones to beat 1 on 1.

Reactions: DaSheed

The rules.

Who you got?
If you had to bet your life? MJ,
Maybe the most competitive human on the planet. REFUSED to lose.

In lieu of that, my second choice that may surprise some --- McCants. Dude was unstoppable in iso and post-ups and had unlimited range.

Last edited:
Maybe Danny Green should be an option. Really good clutch 3 point shooter, and strong enough to defend and score in the paint.

Vince Carter. My recollection of Carter's career was full of tough made shots. He just jumped over everyone on his turnaround, and if he gets his shoulders by you......you will be on a poster.
He was also the best 6'7" shot blocker in Carolina history.
Not sure I wouldn't take him vs Jordan to, if Jordan couldn't shoot free throws under the rules you declared.
VINCE CARTER, Half man, half amazing!😎
This is why I put down the list I did…. I wanted players who would be big enough to defend. I was tempted to go with McCants, Paige, Forte but I thought none of them could defend as well as the group I went with…. In 1-v-1 you need to body up.

Reactions: tarwhiz
This is why I put down the list I did…. I wanted players who would be big enough to defend. I was tempted to go with McCants, Paige, Forte but I thought none of them could defend as well as the group I went with…. In 1-v-1 you need to body up.
Exactly. Carter is the only player that could guard both Ty Lawson and Rasheed Wallace, and frankly neither of them could guard Carter for very different reasons. Sheed would be top 5 though because of his reach on defense and ablity to shoot from outside.
That being said, Sheed rarely took more than 2-3 consecutive dribbles at UNC.

Exactly. Carter is the only player that could guard both Ty Lawson and Rasheed Wallace, and frankly neither of them could guard Carter for very different reasons. Sheed would be top 5 though because of his reach on defense and ablity to shoot from outside.
That being said, Sheed rarely took more than 2-3 consecutive dribbles at UNC.
Carter could not guard Lawson or Sheed. Where did you get this idea that Carter was some superb defensive player? He was good at using his athleticism to get blocks, and that was about the extent of what he did on defense.

My short list will have someone who will surprise you and why I kind of created this topic.

Carter is who I believe I settled on.
Jamison is absolutely up there.
Lawson up there.
RJ Davis. Step back 3 and enough speed to get to the rack. The question is does strong defense throw him off enough.
Harrison Barnes

Carter could not guard Lawson or Sheed. Where did you get this idea that Carter was some superb defensive player? He was good at using his athleticism to get blocks, and that was about the extent of what he did on defense.
I know what he can do defensively by watching him play defense. His length and footwork combined would make it very difficult for Ty Lawson to score on him PERIOD!
He would have a more difficult time with Wallace of course because of Sheeds size, but we are talking about 1 on 1, not team defense. Sheed taking the ball at the top of the key vs a plus athlete would not look too picturesque.
You come on here all the time talking in absolutes and talking down to everyone, so there is an absolute back at you.
Your knowledge of the game is palpable, as is your lack of cordially debating the nuances of the game is too.
You are an ASSHAT and everybody knows it.

Last edited:
Game of one on one. Who would our choice be playing? Who they are playing would determine my choice.

If you choose Ty Lawson, what if he's playing against someone like Antawn Jamison? Can Ty really beat Jamison in a game of one on one? Jamison would back Ty down in the lane and Ty wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it.

Game of one on one. Who would our choice be playing? Who they are playing would determine my choice.

If you choose Ty Lawson, what if he's playing against someone like Antawn Jamison? Can Ty really beat Jamison in a game of one on one? Jamison would back Ty down in the lane and Ty wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it.
I was thinking about that myself, but since its not make it take it, wouldn't Ty have an advantage getting off his outside shot in a game to 11?
I was always shorter than the guys that I played against but in a game of make it take it I rarely lost. Just saying....

Careful making a rational statement like that 😒😚

It’s gotta be someone with range with the scoring structure of 1s and 2s

I second these aforementioned players
Cam Johnson
Ty Lawson
Harry Barnes

And add
Hubert Davis

Always the antagonist! I generally like your takes & appreciate your knowledge inside the program, but the next time you agree with somebody will be the first time you agree with somebody. Who’s your guy then? I think Vince would fare pretty well in 1 on 1 vs Lawson or Sheed. Wallace doesn’t have the handles & Lawson doesn’t have the length, I think Carter beats them both.

With that said, my guy is O’Koren with Cam Johnson & Coby White close behind. Length plus handles would be important, gotta have both.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarwhiz

They couldn’t guard Vince either, just sayin’.

20 some poasts in and not even a mention of Jerry. Strong and long enough to guard some bigs, quick and athletic enough to guard on the perimeter. Possessed a post up game and shooting. Guard ball skills. This guy averaged 30 per game one year in the NBA when the game was still a lot more physical than today.

And if all else failed, he’d literally whip anyone’s ass.

You don't know the opponent. You are just picking the person you think gives you the biggest likelihood to win no matter who it is.

20 some poasts in and not even a mention of Jerry. Strong and long enough to guard some bigs, quick and athletic enough to guard on the perimeter. Possessed a post up game and shooting. Guard ball skills. This guy averaged 30 per game one year in the NBA when the game was still a lot more physical than today.

And if all else failed, he’d literally whip anyone’s ass.
Good name, surprised too he was not mentioned. I had to look at the OP a second time, and it specifically said " At the height of their time at Carolina"
Jerry was an a decent outside shooter in College, but fine tuned that shot more in the pros.
The College tag is why I couldn't ultimately choose Sheed because I never saw him take 3 consecutive dribbles in College while he was here.
He became much more dangerous off the dribble as a pro.
Stack is a really good one though, very 💪

Some names not getting mentioned
Dudley Bradley- you can't win if you can't score but the game might take a while!
Walter Davis- smooth offense and very good defender
Phil- nobody could stop him

This would be a great question to ask MJ. I’m guessing he’s gone one on one with all the Tar Heel legends at one time. I’d bet money his answer is James Worthy.

Okay

1. James Worthy vs Vince Carter

2. Harrison Barnes vs Cam Johnson

3. Hubert Davis vs Al Wood

4. Larry Miller vs Antawn Jamison

5. Walter Davis vs Marcus Paige

6. RJ Davis vs Dudley Bradley

7. Jerry Stackhouse vs Danny Green

8. Ty Lawson vs Phil Ford

9. Justin Jackson vs Rasheed Wallace

10. Rashad McCants vs Caleb Love

11. Charlie Scott vs Joseph Forte

12. Tyler Hansbrough vs Mike O'Koren

13. Cole Anthony vs Raymond Felton

14. Coby White vs John Henson

15. Sam Perkins vs Wayne Ellington

16. Shammond Williams vs J.R. Reid

Winner goes on. Who you got?

Okay

1. James Worthy vs Vince Carter

2. Harrison Barnes vs Cam Johnson

3. Hubert Davis vs Al Wood

4. Larry Miller vs Antawn Jamison

5. Walter Davis vs Marcus Paige

6. RJ Davis vs Dudley Bradley

7. Jerry Stackhouse vs Danny Green

9. Justin Jackson vs Rasheed Wallace

10. Rashad McCants vs Caleb Love

11. Charlie Scott vs Joseph Forte

12. Tyler Hansbrough vs Mike O'Koren

13. Cole Anthony vs Raymond Felton

14. Coby White vs John Henson

15. Sam Perkins vs Wayne Ellington

16. Shammond Williams vs J.R. Reid

Winner goes on. Who you got?
Whenever the AI gets good enough to make it truly lifelike, I'd pay for that video game (or movie or whatever).

I would take Carter as the best choice against the most opponents

If we want another name for the list Rick Fox would be an interesting choice

I would take Carter as the best choice against the most opponents

If we want another name for the list Rick Fox would be an interesting choice
We already got our bracket. If no one gives input soon, I'll advance who I think would win each game.

1. James Worthy
2. Harrison Barnes
3. Hubert Davis
4. Antawn Jamison
5. Walter Davis
6. Dudley Bradley
7. Jerry Stackhouse
9. Rasheed Wallace
10. Rashad McCants
11. Charlie Scott
12. Mike O'Koren
13. Raymond Felton
14. Coby White
15. Sam Perkins
16. Shammond Williams

1. James Worthy

2. Harrison Barnes

3. Hubert Davis

4. Antawn Jamison

5. Walter Davis

6. Dudley Bradley

7. Jerry Stackhouse

8. Phil Ford

9. Rasheed Wallace

10. Rashad McCants

11. Charlie Scott

12. Mike O'Koren

13. Cole Anthony

14. John Henson

15. Sam Perkins

16. J.R. Reid

Remember when Kareem Abdul Jabbar played Dr. J in a one on one game that was on pay-per-view? They called it Clash of the Legends. Kareem destroyed him. Size means everything. Like the late, great, Gorilla Monsoon once said, “A good big man will always beat a good small man.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT