ADVERTISEMENT

Ingram to UNC

Well damn I was optimistic but I suspected this would happen as soon as Dook had the exodus of talent and then pushed Thornton to reclassify and come a year early.

Oh well. If you aren't with us you are against us.

Brown will end up with an Adidas school and we have laid another egg with a top tier talent.

The idea that K telling him how special he is being the one thing that stood out is super weak. Seems a PT decision plain and simple. I hoped he'd pick UNC but we'll be fine this year. I won't be shocked if he regrets it but we likely will never know.

On the bright side, Brown just cut his list from 8 to 5 and UNC made the cut. Doubt we get him but sure would be a nice surprise.

Really looks like we end 2015 with Maye as the only recruit.

I look forward to Carolina kicking the ish out of this kids team at dook .... cast his lot with the Dark Side and Vader

He is Fredo to me

I look forward to Carolina kicking the ish out of this kids team at dook .... cast his lot with the Dark Side and Vader

He is Fredo to me
tumblr_mecvzxvRb91rfyoaso1_500.gif

Carolina will still be number ONE next season! That does not happen unless Coach Williams has recruited great talent. He has TWO National Championships in the past decade! That is as good as it GETS in LL of college basketball...
Carolina may be #1 next season, but it won't be because the team got better, it will be because other elite teams got worse(Duke, KY) . So if that makes you feel better about being number 1, then so be it. For me, I want to be #1 when everyone else has their best talent and 2015-16 will not be anything close to 2014-15 in terms of overall talent in CBB.

One source to ESPN on Brandon Ingram choosing Duke over UNC "the academic fraud investigation is killing them now in recruiting"

Reactions: ruger2245
Carolina may be #1 next season, but it won't be because the team got better, it will be because other elite teams got worse(Duke, KY) . So if that makes you feel better about being number 1, then so be it. For me, I want to be #1 when everyone else has their best talent and 2015-16 will not be anything close to 2014-15 in terms of overall talent in CBB.

So you dont think Jackson, Berry and Pinson are capable of improving? Its been said, the biggest improvements come from freshman year to sophomore.. just sayin

right now..we better take it how it comes!!

Don't agree. Heels will be better cause players will improve (Justin, theo, Joel and others!). Yes, other teams will be down but that's the nature of college ball.
BI would have been a luxury for this team and now he's just the enemy.

Reactions: ACokeForRoy
I think Ingram will go to dook. His father must have been a fair weather Carolina fan ! I rather have Kenny Williams any ways .

So you dont think Jackson, Berry and Pinson are capable of improving? Its been said, the biggest improvements come from freshman year to sophomore.. just sayin
I think they will all improve to a degree, but that improvement will never be enough to put them on par with incoming OAD NBA ready guys. So, while Berry may improve some, he's still not going to be in the same class of PG as DThornton or Isaiah Briscoe or even 2016 PG Dennis Smith. As for Pinson, sure he may improve a bit, but the challenge for him (as was for JP), is he really has the skillset of a SF in a SG's body. Which is why he is appropriately classified as a "wing" He's not really a true shooting gaurd, but we have him playing that position. He has more raw athleticism than skill and has a looong ways to go before that skill catches up with his athleticism. As athletic as he is and even with improvement wont be in the same class of SG/Wings as guys like Malik Newman.
JJ on the other hand, is already as skilled as anyone on the team other than MP. But what that means is he has pretty much already peaked with his skill level. He's already a very good shooter and very good scorer. He will be a little better, but not by very much. I do think he can hold his own against other elite SF's coming in but he doesn't have the body that Jalen Brown has and the length of Ingram that will keep him.

The point to be made is talent will always beat out experience and at this level you have to "buy" talent instead of "buliding" it. By the time a player is a junior, he is who he is and if he hasn't made a mark by that time, there's a 99% chance he will be senior in college too.

Reactions: EmJay14
Don't agree. Heels will be better cause players will improve (Justin, theo, Joel and others!). Yes, other teams will be down but that's the nature of college ball.
BI would have been a luxury for this team and now he's just the enemy.
Even if they marginally improved, if all the guys from KY and Duke stayed one more year, we still do not have to the talent to compete and beat those teams.

The field has just been leveled by all of those guys exiting to the league.

I can get over it from an on the court perspective because he would have just been the cherry on top. I just hate the lingering message that it sends. Him choosing UNC hush's some of the NCAA sanction talk but him choosing Dook over us given the amount of time and effort Roy put in only fans the flame of chatter about NCAA sanctions that may or may not happen. Its already being retweeted to death about his father saying if it had not been for the unknown regarding sanctions it could have been different. Now you have to wonder what Kenny Williams and family are thinking. He is definitely not a OAD player and will be around 3-4 years. Gotta wonder what Jaylen Brown is thinking even tho we made is cut. Gotta wonder what 2016 recruits are thinking. Are we going to go thru this again next year wondering what Giles, Dennis Smith and Bam are going to be thinking? Maybe it will be over by then. NCAA is giving us a slow death by not settling the matter. That has more impact than actually bringing it to a close. Just give UNC the sanctions, if any, and let Roy recruit without the guessing game come up with a plan until its over.

Reactions: d24martin
I think they will all improve to a degree, but that improvement will never be enough to put them on par with incoming OAD NBA ready guys. So, while Berry may improve some, he's still not going to be in the same class of PG as DThornton or Isaiah Briscoe or even 2016 PG Dennis Smith. As for Pinson, sure he may improve a bit, but the challenge for him (as was for JP), is he really has the skillset of a SF in a SG's body. Which is why he is appropriately classified as a "wing" He's not really a true shooting gaurd, but we have him playing that position. He has more raw athleticism than skill and has a looong ways to go before that skill catches up with his athleticism. As athletic as he is and even with improvement wont be in the same class of SG/Wings as guys like Malik Newman.
JJ on the other hand, is already as skilled as anyone on the team other than MP. But what that means is he has pretty much already peaked with his skill level. He's already a very good shooter and very good scorer. He will be a little better, but not by very much. I do think he can hold his own against other elite SF's coming in but he doesn't have the body that Jalen Brown has and the length of Ingram that will keep him.

The point to be made is talent will always beat out experience and at this level you have to "buy" talent instead of "buliding" it. By the time a player is a junior, he is who he is and if he hasn't made a mark by that time, there's a 99% chance he will be senior in college too.

Well said......

I think they will all improve to a degree, but that improvement will never be enough to put them on par with incoming OAD NBA ready guys. .

Can't agree with this - different players improve at different rates. Do the current Tar Heel Freshmen have more upside, I believe they have it in spades. As for comparing Berry to guards who haven't even set foot on campus and some who won't for another year, that's laughable. Joel, injury and all, didn't even scratch the surface of his potential in his freshman year.

JJ on the other hand, is already as skilled as anyone on the team other than MP. But what that means is he has pretty much already peaked with his skill level. He's already a very good shooter and very good scorer. He will be a little better, but not by very much. .

Untrue - the freshman to sophomore years are traditionally when players show their greatest improvement. Considering Justin really only got comfortable towards the end of the season I believe his upside is huge - I'd go so far as to say with Joel in the backcourt Justin could be a sleeper for end of year awards consideration (very early prediction I know)

So with the most talented squads in each of the last 5 years Kensucky has one championship yet "talent always beats experience"??? Tell that to Wisconsin.

To be fair to all your points, I wouldn't put Justin, Brice, Kennedy, or Isaiah in a one-on-one game against Ben Simmons, yes, he's that good. But I'd take UNC over LSU 99 times out of 100 just because I believe they'd be a better team.

I am going to scream BOO when he gets the ball if he goes to DOOK. Good just somebody else I can hate from Kinston. LOL My hometown sucks ass anyhow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't agree with this - different players improve at different rates. Do the current Tar Heel Freshmen have more upside, I believe they have it in spades. As for comparing Berry to guards who haven't even set foot on campus and some who won't for another year, that's laughable. Joel, injury and all, didn't even scratch the surface of his potential in his freshman year.

Untrue - the freshman to sophomore years are traditionally when players show their greatest improvement. Considering Justin really only got comfortable towards the end of the season I believe his upside is huge - I'd go so far as to say with Joel in the backcourt Justin could be a sleeper for end of year awards consideration (very early prediction I know)

So with the most talented squads in each of the last 5 years Kensucky has one championship yet "talent always beats experience"??? Tell that to Wisconsin.

To be fair to all your points, I wouldn't put Justin, Brice, Kennedy, or Isaiah in a one-on-one game against Ben Simmons, yes, he's that good. But I'd take UNC over LSU 99 times out of 100 just because I believe they'd be a better team.

I hear you, but everything you said is just flat out wishful thinking on each and every point. Yes, Wisconsin beat KY, but I'd still take talent over experience any day. And so would any NBA GM, to be sure.

Bottom line, OAD guys are better than 99% of the juniors and seniors that are playing CBB right now. And I'll say it again, if you are a junior or senior and your playing CBB, your 1) not going to be good enough to play in the NBA and/or 2) you just love the college experience.

And I also bet you were one of the guys saying they'd rather have a sophomore Meeks over a frosh Okafor, weren't you? I remember those comments when Ok committed to Duke. LOL

Also, you do realize that this is the exact same roster that lost 12 games this year, don't you? One summer is not enough time for guys to develop the way your are hoping (praying) to make the kind of marked improvements you are speaking of. Just ain't gonna happen. We get "better" because we aren't playing teams with the same level of talent we faced this season. PERIOD. There are no lotto picks on this roster.

I hear you, but everything you said is just flat out wishful thinking on each and every point. Yes, Wisconsin beat KY, but I'd still take talent over experience any day. And so would any NBA GM, to be sure.

Bottom line, OAD guys are better than 99% of the juniors and seniors that are playing CBB right now. And I'll say it again, if you are a junior or senior and your playing CBB, your 1) not going to be good enough to play in the NBA and/or 2) you just love the college experience.

And I also bet you were one of the guys saying they'd rather have a sophomore Meeks over a frosh Okafor, weren't you? I remember those comments when Ok committed to Duke. LOL

Also, you do realize that this is the exact same roster that lost 12 games this year, don't you? One summer is not enough time for guys to develop the way your are hoping (praying) to make the kind of marked improvements you are speaking of. Just ain't gonna happen. We get "better" because we aren't playing teams with the same level of talent we faced this season. PERIOD. There are no lotto picks on this roster.

1. Wishful thinking on my part or pessimism on yours? I believe players improve from frosh to sophmore seasons and I believe the three frosh on the Heels roster will be better as sophs than all but 10 or so freshman next season. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

2. Nope, I wanted Okafor. I also wanted Ben Simmons this season and maybe Skal. This is because I dont believe the Heels front court is great. However, I do think they can use experience to pull together as a team. Again, we may have to disagree on this one and see what happens in 11 months.

3. Not sure why you place so much emphasis on the NBA in your argument. The NBA and a players projected status in the NBA does not always have much to do with a teams success in college. Just 13 months ago UConn won it all with zero lottery picks.

4. Yes, it's the same roster, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Your whole point about them winning more games because other teams are weaker is futile - you play the competition that's in front of you. Do you mean to say that if this team comes together and wins a Natty you'll be upset? Why does having lotto picks on the roster matter if those lotto picks don't want to play at UNC?

Basically, the team is what it is for next year. As I said above, the only player I really would have like to see come on board was never in the reckoning for the Heels and that's Simmons, everyone else makes up a very good, top 5 worthy team.

There is an adage that is most often used of football but is true of basketball as well: the most progress is made between the freshman and sophomore seasons. It is possible that Jackson, Berry, and Pinson all make significant progress.

You do not know that there are no lottery picks on the team. Who would have thought Frank Kaminsky could have even a 2nd round pick when he was a sophomore? The best coaching staffs develop players as well as recruit top talent. Justin Jackson could become a lottery pick after 3 years.

But that is beside the main point, which is that a well coached team can win it all without a single guy who willl become a lottery pick. ND, with a 6-5 freshman as back up Center, lost to UK by only 2, after winning the ACC tournament. On paper, that ND team should not have come close to UNC. Coaching matters. Developing players matters. Team chemistry matters.

The 2014-15 UNC team had more talent than it showed much of the season. The 2015-16 team will be experienced. Hopefully, the issues we had with team chemistry and heart were all tied to Tokoto. If that is the case, then next year's team will be much more consistent and will not seem to lack talent. It will have the mental toughness and unity to win the hard games it could not win this past year.

Enigma you keep referring to losing 12 games this year and I assume you're implying that they'll lose about as many next year bc no way we beat dook or uk ever again right?

Curious how many games the heels lost the years before the 2005 and 2009 championship season. Maybe not double digits, but probably close. And neither of those title teams has freshmen OADs that they needed for the title. I know Marvin 2005 and Ed Davis 2009 were frosh but the heels would've won the titles both years without those guys tourney contributions.

My point is both of the Heels last two tourney teams won based on having a core of guys who stuck around 3+ years and vastly improved big parts of their game.

I'm talking about titles, not who will make it in the NBA. Maybe Dooks OADs will be immediate NBA all stars but based on Dookies easrly entry track record I'd hold off on the HOF engraving for Winslow Okafor and thrones. Each has pretty big holes in their game that will get exposed in the big boy NBA. At that level you can't just bull rush flop and wait for the whistle like in HIS.

BI is now the enemy and I will pull against him for the rest of his career. Reggie and Stack need to distance themselves from dook bandwagoners like Ingram. You are with us or against us and you made the wrong choice.

I'll bet a lot we don't lose 12 games next year. People are going a little nuts on Duke right now. There are a lot of reasons to still be skeptical about them next year. I think many of our fans are underestimating how good our team will be.

When I saw those eyes of Ingram's..i knew we didn't stand a chance!!...y'all know all the weird looking ones go to dook!!..not to mention..and he was wearing a tuxedo!!..seriously,Brandon!!..i know it's prom season but c'mon man!!

Last edited:
For the life of me I can't understand how a kid can come down to us or dook. I know I'm 100% biased but seems to me to be polar opposites in a lot of ways when it comes to family and atmosphere. I felt like BI was doing what he thought was best for his career but not necessarily where his heart wanted to be for the next year (or two).

Read the article on Charlotte Observer regarding his choice in Dook and our recruitment and I'm confused. On one hand, he and his father say the NCAA investigation played a huge part then another part of the story BI says he doesn't think anything will happen to UNC. Which one is it? If you don't think anything will happen to UNC why didn't we get your commitment? Perhaps he was not interesting in competing for PT. Its a bit foggy for me but I'm done posting about him. I will hold some hope for KW but i'm not sure how to feel about that recruitment either. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes to VA.

Reactions: 32TheEnigma
Read the article on Charlotte Observer regarding his choice in Dook and our recruitment and I'm confused. On one hand, he and his father say the NCAA investigation played a huge part then another part of the story BI says he doesn't think anything will happen to UNC. Which one is it? If you don't think anything will happen to UNC why didn't we get your commitment? Perhaps he was not interesting in competing for PT. Its a bit foggy for me but I'm done posting about him. I will hold some hope for KW but i'm not sure how to feel about that recruitment either. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes to VA.
The potential allegations were a smokescreen and convenient excuse for not choosing UNC. His father is a UNC fan and still wants BI to be liked by UNC faithful, so that was his way of saying "thanks, but no thanks".

Playing time would not have been an issue with BI IF and that is a big IF , he is as good as advertised. Do you really think he would be on the bench when we give up one of our patented 15-2 runs when we can't buy a basket? I think Kenny Williams ends up at UVa. and falls right into the rotation getting 15-20 minutes a game.

The potential allegations were a smokescreen and convenient excuse for not choosing UNC. His father is a UNC fan and still wants BI to be liked by UNC faithful, so that was his way of saying "thanks, but no thanks".
doubt if many UNC faithful like him anymore. count me among those who don't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT