ADVERTISEMENT

Ingram to UNC

Well, I know that 6'7" 220 lbs is a better size player than 6'8" 198 lbs....just sayin'...so if no BI then what about JB?

Jaylen's people are keeping his recruitment VERY close to the vest. They don't want to discuss it or even have it discussed it seems, but as far as I know the 'Heels are still in it.

I feel like there is much overreacting going on around here when it comes to recruiting. Have we really been "down"?
Last 5 class rankings:
3rd
16th
8th
5th
3rd

Kids want to come in and play right away and to some extent "be the man". As our team is currently constructed, that would be hard to do. Look at what Maverick Rowan said about UNC and Reclassifying to 2015:

Despite the CrystalBall, Rowan says everyone is still in it for 2015.

“Everyone else is still in it for 15, even North Carolina,” said Rowan. “Even though they have a big log jam, they still want me.”

http://247sports.com/Article/2015-Light-Growing-Dimmer-For-Maverick-Rowan-36897708

I think the kids from this class are wondering if they could get enough playing time at UNC next year. Also, Roy doesn't hand the keys over to a freshman too often or recruit over his players. Roy tells kids to come in and earn it. From what I am reading on some recruits, other coaches are making some bold guaranty's to these kids... If we don't have a top recruiting class in 2016, then I will start to worry.

Reactions: NCAAUCoach
His Dad's a UNC fan but BI grew up a Dook fan?! If the kid goes to Duke, I hope Justin Jackson locks his ass down!

I've been excited since the year ended to see what Justin would look like in his sophomore year...if BI was going to affect his playing time at all, Dook can have him. JJ is going to be a monster!

Why are recruits nowadays such prima donnas?

If you are that adamant about the scandal not impacting recruiting, then the only other thing to believe is that Roy now sucks at recruiting. Now let's see,...he was once dubbed the game's best recruiter, regularly pulling in top 10 classes and assembling talent that was historically good. But within a 4 year period of time, he has completely forgotten how to recruit. Is that what you're going with?
Talk to any top recruit (not named BI) and most don't even know about the "scandal". That's how much it's impacting recruiting. The fact that we aren't landing top guys has nothing to do with the scandal, but everything to do with Duke and KY being involved. We just aren't "sexy" at the moment for elite (Top 5/OAD) recruits. And I'm not saying it's Roy's fault. It has more to do with the overall "brand and culture" of the program than any recruiting efforts of Roy and his staff. Many youngsters look at us as and "old school" program. They just don't view us as "hip" right now.

Just curious, but what has made Brandon Ingram a 'prima dona'? I don't think there's anything wrong with how this kid has handled his recruitment. He's chosen to wait it out and see where the chips would fall and I think that's benefited him. I also don't blame him for choosing Dook if he decides to do so. The opportunity to be THE MAN at the school that you've rooted for all of your life, after they've just come off of a championship is very enticing. IF he cares about winning, it's hard to tell him you won't win at Duke, now that they've touched up their roster. Patiently waiting for 6 o clock...

Women's basketball and football aren't having any trouble recruiting..even with the scandal looming!!..seems they would get hit harder than the men's basketball program!!

Kids at Kinston are tweeting that BI is telling people his decision is going to "shock some people"

Talk to any top recruit (not named BI) and most don't even know about the "scandal". That's how much it's impacting recruiting. The fact that we aren't landing top guys has nothing to do with the scandal, but everything to do with Duke and KY being involved. We just aren't "sexy" at the moment for elite (Top 5/OAD) recruits. And I'm not saying it's Roy's fault. It has more to do with the overall "brand and culture" of the program than any recruiting efforts of Roy and his staff. Many youngsters look at us as and "old school" program. They just don't view us as "hip" right now.

I agree. I think UNC's biggest problem right now is that the current perception is that it's not a great place to go for OAD NBA talents. Where did that come from? I think the fact that a bunch of guys who were thought of as potential OADs turned out not to be OAD (a couple by choice, but a few by necessity), and that Roy's UNC teams haven't really produce any real NBA stars despite all the talent that's gone through -- i.e., has any of Roy's former UNC guys even made an all-star team? Is this perception fair? Probably not. But I think it's out there right now. Even though K produced a multitude of pretty good NBA players from 99-04 (including 3 future all-stars), guys like Shav, McRoberts, and Paulus + the fact that Duke avoided recruiting certain OADs for a period of time definitely created the perception in the 06-10 era that it wasn't a great place for guys going to the NBA. What changed? The Olympics, in part. But, IMO, Kyrie Irving is the biggest reason. Ever since Irving's break-out rookie season, the entire narrative about Duke and the NBA has changed significantly and that's continued to build now with Parker and Okafor. And that goes to the fairness point? Is K really responsible for Irving being a great NBA player? Not really. But he also wasn't really responsible for Paulus being a bust. In the end, the quality of the players matter far more. With that said, I think what Roy really needs is to sign at least one big recruit (either Ingram or from the 2016 class) who really makes a splash at the next level. I think that would immediately put UNC back in the running for the top 5-10 guys again.

And, as I've said before, I personally think UNC's recruiting is still pretty strong. I think any problems are with the top 5-10 type kid who enters college with the expectation of declaring after 1 yr. BI may be a bit different, but most of the guys who've committed to Duke to date (Parker, Okafor, Tyus Jones) are the type of kids who would normally commit to Duke (i.e., the super talented, but clean cut, good student, shane battier personality types). UNC's biggest problem the past couple classes is that UK / KU have pretty much been sweeping the rest of the OAD guys -- even though many of these guys are the type of kids you would have normally seen at UNC.

Last edited:
No other UNC program has ever signed the top rated talent that UNC basketball has (aside from women's soccer) in terms of overall classes. I have no doubt that recruits are not following all the stories but opposing coaches (or at least some persons talking up those schools) are definitely bringing it up. Not saying they are telling guys UNC is gonna get hammered but simply putting some sliver of doubt into place. "No one knows what will happen with UNC, maybe nothing, but after what the NCAA did to Syracuse there is no telling" Recruits are not going to look up specifics to find the differences in the situations. Roy has to disprove a negative which is damn near impossible because he cannot say for certain. All it takes is a hint of concern and that guy not looking to be in college more than two years will go elsewhere. The news relating to the scandal may not be hurting recruiting but what others are saying is definitely a huge factor.

Perception is reality ...the perception is "UNC cheated and the NCAA is gonna punish them hard anytime now." That's all an opposing coach needs to say to a 5 star recruit and his parents, game over.

I've got a feeling the only Ingram shocks anyone is by putting on a cap that says "dook".

IMO he just wants his moment. Can't really blame him.

Just curious, but what has made Brandon Ingram a 'prima dona'? I don't think there's anything wrong with how this kid has handled his recruitment. He's chosen to wait it out and see where the chips would fall and I think that's benefited him. I also don't blame him for choosing Dook if he decides to do so. The opportunity to be THE MAN at the school that you've rooted for all of your life, after they've just come off of a championship is very enticing. IF he cares about winning, it's hard to tell him you won't win at Duke, now that they've touched up their roster. Patiently waiting for 6 o clock...

The reason I used "prima donna" is because it used to just be a video of the kid announcing and some mix tape videos...now there are literally new videos every single freaking day about these kids. I blame a majority of society's problems on the internet haha

Letter of intent faxed to Dook and Roy has been notified. Sorry Dad but I do not pull for Dook or your son.

Reactions: Showenuff
UNC's biggest problem the past couple classes is that UK / KU have pretty much been sweeping the rest of the OAD guys -- even though many of these guys are the type of kids you would have normally seen at UNC.

Agree. And you can add Zona to that mix with KU and UK sweeping up the rest of OAD's, in terms of those kind of recruits coming out of the west coast.

Please stop this. There is no "scandal" impacting the basketball program. The scandal isn't impacting football recruiting, so why in the world would a potential OAD basketball player even be thinking about it in his decision. Why, because it's not. But if it makes you feel better about losing recruits, then so be it. I can hear this same "excuse" being used for the next 5-6 years when we lose out on recruits even when the "scandal" is over. Does anyone on this board, in the basketball community or on this planet think there will any iota of sanctions levied against the bball program? That answer would be no and I don't think you, yourself or anyone on this board or any potential player really believe there will be any levied either. BUT, it does sound good when we lose top recruits, doesn't it?

I believe other programs are using the so called "scandal" against us in recruiting and some of the parents/HS-AAU Coaches are drinking the kool-aid which shows you how much of an impact these HS/AAU coaches have on these kids. Roy has said that in the last few years there are some players that he was shocked he couldn't even get them on campus to visit. Now that's unprecedented. Regardless of whay Roy tells them about the NCAA investigation, some kids/parents have been influenced by other parties.

I believe other programs are using the so called "scandal" against us in recruiting and some of the parents/HS-AAU Coaches are drinking the kool-aid which shows you how much of an impact these HS/AAU coaches have on these kids. Roy has said that in the last few years there are some players that he was shocked he couldn't even get them on campus to visit. Now that's unprecedented. Regardless of whay Roy tells them about the NCAA investigation, some kids/parents have been influenced by other parties.

Just stop it. Roy doesn't know what he's talking about. The reason we suck at recruiting now is because of duke and UK. Haven't you heard? Not because of any scandal. I don't care what Roy says even though he'd certainly know a lot better than any of us posting here at this message board.

You are exactly right! Don't think for one minute that other coaches aren't using these soon to be released documents against Carolina. They are just loving it, to get to fill recuits heads with half truths to raise doubts about what may or may not happen. Anyway if a recruit is going to be O&D what difference would it make, one the other hand if there is one who plans on staying then yeah it does matter alot. For a program as UNC why is it so hard for Coach to get players to even visit if not for the lies being spewed by other programs? It's a "dog eat dog" world in the world of college recruiting in all sports, but especially BB and FB.
"Go Heels"!

Reactions: ACokeForRoy
Nope, not true at all. In fact, we aren't even in any of the conversations of those kinds of elite recruits to even get to the "scandal". If a recruit is looking at KY, the only person Cal is worried about is Coach K in terms of recruiting or negative recruiting. And if a recruit is looking at Duke, K only has to worry about Cal. Unfortunately we aren't even in the conversation to even get to the recruiting scandal. They don't have to negatively recruit against us, because we aren't even in those discussions at this point. I've talked to several high profile '16 and '17 recruits at several spring EYBL tourneys and only 2 of the 11 that I talked to even knew there was as "scandal". And of those 2 neither thought any sanctions would be brought against UNC. And those conversations included both AAU coaches and parents.

Wow, officially classified as a "loss of institutional control" has become "scandal" the new TV series on Fox...o_O
some of our fans/posters need to get away from the N&O and Charlotte Disturber...

Once he commits to Duke tonight can we please put to bed any and all thoughts that this scandal hasn't affected recruiting. This is the #3 player in the country who would have absolutely come to UNC months ago if the scandal hadn't been in place.

I really wish you'd quit talking about this kid like he's basketball Jesus.

He wasn't the number 3 recruit until UK and Duke became major players, McD and late performances or not. He's just not as good as you think he is and I've seen him play A LOT. He will struggle mightily next year, and I don't care what position he's playing- 3 or 4...Justin and Brice will both steal his lunch money. We've got a better player at both positions.

Last edited:
All this being said......

Is there going to be a live feed online or anywhere for this deal? Hell, I've spent so much time reading about it over the last few months I might as well sit down and watch the darn thing. Even if it is going to be dook.

All this being said......

Is there going to be a live feed online or anywhere for this deal? Hell, I've spent so much time reading about it over the last few months I might as well sit down and watch the darn thing. Even if it is going to be dook.

ESPNU maybe?

Nope, not true at all. In fact, we aren't even in any of the conversations of those kinds of elite recruits to even get to the "scandal". If a recruit is looking at KY, the only person Cal is worried about is Coach K in terms of recruiting or negative recruiting. And if a recruit is looking at Duke, K only has to worry about Cal. Unfortunately we aren't even in the conversation to even get to the recruiting scandal. They don't have to negatively recruit against us, because we aren't even in those discussions at this point. I've talked to several high profile '16 and '17 recruits at several spring EYBL tourneys and only 2 of the 11 that I talked to even knew there was as "scandal". And of those 2 neither thought any sanctions would be brought against UNC. And those conversations included both AAU coaches and parents.

Carolina will still be number ONE next season! That does not happen unless Coach Williams has recruited great talent. He has TWO National Championships in the past decade! That is as good as it GETS in LL of college basketball...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT