ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Article on Isaac Traudt

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
I learned a couple of things I didn't know. First that he is type 1 diabetic. Second that he recently got an offer from Gonzaga. Here's an excerpt from the article.
"We're trying to figure out where we are going to visit and how many schools we are going to visit in the fall," he said. "Might look into visiting Notre Dame, Texas, and Gonzaga, and we may revisit some schools that I visited in June."​
To no surprise, Isaac and his family want to know each college's strength and conditioning and nutrition plan prior to choosing a school.​
"Big thing for us is meeting the nutritionist on the visits," he said. "We want to get a good feel for them and a lot of them have a good plan for me in place. Always have sugars on the sidelines, always have insulin ready if I need help, they can change my [pump] sites if I need that too."​

I love this guy but I don't feel like we have a great chance. Nebraska is a long way away. But he's my type of player - jack of all trades, gritty, coachable, seems like a 4 year guy.

Love Troudt, really hope we can get him and have stated that many times. BUT, lets consider the circumstance that we do not, so then what?

I posted a question in a reply a few days ago where I shared, while pretty much everyone right now is 100% convinced BOTH Bacot and Dawson will leave after this season (myself not far from that 100%) there is a part of me that questions that belief. First with Bacot, well he was near 90% to enter the draft (rather than play as a soph for us) prior to his before his frosh season and a solid majority still believed him gone at the end of his frosh season (a point I strongly disagreed with and did so many times here). But Bacot did not leave after his frosh season, he in fact not only played as a soph for us but was improved. He tested the NBA waters and will now play for us as a Jr. Point being Bacot has been assumed to be gone a lot and each time he has come back. Frankly, guys that improve but don't exactly explode, well they tend to find it harder to get a solid draft spot the longer they play college ball. From that view it could challenge that belief that Bacot is gone after this season.

You have to as well consider that the NBA tends to draft guys early (say after freshman seasons) that offer either special skills for their position or guys that are overly lengthy for their position. Not sure that Bacot has either of those, he isn't considered long for his position in the NBA and he isn't a skilled jump shooter as a couple examples. For the NBA, Bacot is a bit vanilla, tastes really good but you don't buy vanilla when you are in Baskin Robbins. Very effective college players do not always become very effective NBA players, a guy that used to wear jersey number 50 is an example of this.

And now there is the NIL effect, Bacot already has at least 1 NIL deal paying him and could well have others. IN other words he is now developing his marketing endorsement base and gets to do so from the huge base of UNC fans, how much more can he grow that as a UNC player, I could easy see him with a lot more endorsement ops as a UNC player than he would see in the G-league. That could well be reason enough for him to come back as a senior and play after this season for us.

I don't know that you can be 100% convinced Bacot is leaving after this season if you have read what I just shared and really think it thru. And tell me this, is there a freshman in the 22 class you would rather have play for us after this coming season that you would rather play as a Tar Heel than Bacot? I would easy taker Bacot as a senior over Lively or Troudt for that matter. And really, when you turn that same question toward Garcia, isn't it a very similar thing, Garcia as a shooter is a nice special skill for a big but that was snot enough this off season to have the NBA excited.

Finally, even if we missed on Troudt AND BOTH Bacot and Garcia leave, well we simply do what we did for this season, dip in to the portal and scoop out the next Manek & Garcias that want to be Tar Heels and keep on keeping on!

Love Troudt, really hope we can get him and have stated that many times. BUT, lets consider the circumstance that we do not, so then what?

I posted a question in a reply a few days ago where I shared, while pretty much everyone right now is 100% convinced BOTH Bacot and Dawson will leave after this season (myself not far from that 100%) there is a part of me that questions that belief. First with Bacot, well he was near 90% to enter the draft (rather than play as a soph for us) prior to his before his frosh season and a solid majority still believed him gone at the end of his frosh season (a point I strongly disagreed with and did so many times here). But Bacot did not leave after his frosh season, he in fact not only played as a soph for us but was improved. He tested the NBA waters and will now play for us as a Jr. Point being Bacot has been assumed to be gone a lot and each time he has come back. Frankly, guys that improve but don't exactly explode, well they tend to find it harder to get a solid draft spot the longer they play college ball. From that view it could challenge that belief that Bacot is gone after this season.

You have to as well consider that the NBA tends to draft guys early (say after freshman seasons) that offer either special skills for their position or guys that are overly lengthy for their position. Not sure that Bacot has either of those, he isn't considered long for his position in the NBA and he isn't a skilled jump shooter as a couple examples. For the NBA, Bacot is a bit vanilla, tastes really good but you don't buy vanilla when you are in Baskin Robbins. Very effective college players do not always become very effective NBA players, a guy that used to wear jersey number 50 is an example of this.

And now there is the NIL effect, Bacot already has at least 1 NIL deal paying him and could well have others. IN other words he is now developing his marketing endorsement base and gets to do so from the huge base of UNC fans, how much more can he grow that as a UNC player, I could easy see him with a lot more endorsement ops as a UNC player than he would see in the G-league. That could well be reason enough for him to come back as a senior and play after this season for us.

I don't know that you can be 100% convinced Bacot is leaving after this season if you have read what I just shared and really think it thru. And tell me this, is there a freshman in the 22 class you would rather have play for us after this coming season that you would rather play as a Tar Heel than Bacot? I would easy taker Bacot as a senior over Lively or Troudt for that matter. And really, when you turn that same question toward Garcia, isn't it a very similar thing, Garcia as a shooter is a nice special skill for a big but that was snot enough this off season

I don't know that you can be 100% convinced Bacot is leaving after this season if you have read what I just shared and really think it thru. And tell me this, is there a freshman in the 22 class you would rather have play for us after this coming season that you would rather play as a Tar Heel than Bacot? I would easy taker Bacot as a senior over Lively or Troudt for that matter. And really, when you turn that same question toward Garcia, isn't it a very similar thing, Garcia as a shooter is a nice special skill for a big but that was snot enough this off season to have the NBA excited.

Finally, even if we missed on Troudt AND BOTH Bacot and Garcia leave, well we simply do what we did for this season, dip in to the portal and scoop out the next Manek & Garcias that want to be Tar Heels and keep on keeping on!

All of your reasons for not wanting to recruit Traudt are hypothetically based, and all are presented as your reasoning to NOT recruit this young man. Frankly, I believe that you are in the wrong in your stated hypothesis...

All of your reasons for not wanting to recruit Traudt are hypothetically based, and all are presented as your reasoning to NOT recruit this young man. Frankly, I believe that you are in the wrong in your stated hypothesis...
Not sure I can take your post in any way seriously, I in no way said anything that nears what you say I did, in FACT I have been on here for months saying how much I want Troudt to become a Tar Heel. I challenge you to show one single post from me, go back as far as YOU need to, that in any way suggests that I do not want Traudt to become a Tar Heel.

More FACT, one of 2 things is going to happen, we will either get the kid as a UNC player or we will not. In this post that you so badly replied to, I simply took a look at the case if we do not get him and I think you capable of realizing that. The FACT that we will either get him as a UNC player or not is in NO WAY hypothetical so your premise is complete and total BS.

By all means, please share what you consider wrong about what I posted, please share what portion of it you disagreed with?

I agree with many of your points, Bacot's NBA aspirations, which didn't have the league salivating, has taken a step back since sticking around for now 2 more years. With his skill set most teams that would take a flyer, usually do so with the intent of working him hard to develop as a yongster under their focused training. In college as a junior and as a older recruit even when he entered, he should flourish with his strength, but not necessarily with the a transferable skill set, and now he is at an advanced starting age to develop that part of his game.

With the possible NIL income, I agree, the benefit of maxing his peak earning years overseas may be mitigated enough to stay a 4th year?

Garcia is no sure thing NBA prospect, but he is a solid looking one with upside, and I think he would be crestfallen if he does not show enough stretch ability, while filling out physically enough to get a decent look from the big boys after next year.

Not sure I can take your post in any way seriously, I in no way said anything that nears what you say I did, in FACT I have been on here for months saying how much I want Troudt to become a Tar Heel. I challenge you to show one single post from me, go back as far as YOU need to, that in any way suggests that I do not want Traudt to become a Tar Heel.

More FACT, one of 2 things is going to happen, we will either get the kid as a UNC player or we will not. In this post that you so badly replied to, I simply took a look at the case if we do not get him and I think you capable of realizing that. The FACT that we will either get him as a UNC player or not is in NO WAY hypothetical so your premise is complete and total BS.

By all means, please share what you consider wrong about what I posted, please share what portion of it you disagreed with?
Well... If you actually believe that both Bacot and Garcia will both hypothetically be back after this current, upcoming season then fine. However if you then think that we do not need a great couple of high school players as well, then your hypothesis is incorrect from the start (flawed thinking, imo). Transfers will not become the answer every year...

Well... If you actually believe that both Bacot and Garcia will both hypothetically be back after this current, upcoming season then fine. However if you then think that we do not need a great couple of high school players as well, then your hypothesis is incorrect from the start (flawed thinking, imo). Transfers will not become the answer every year...
And yet again, you discuss NOTHING in what I shared that you disagree with, you offer no proof what so ever that either or both Bacot and Garcia will be leaving after the coming season. IN FACT, all you offer is the insulting tag of my having flawed thinking? You can not even as much as acknowledge that Troudt to UNC is not 100% fact. All you present is the straw man argument that in no way addresses what I said and frankly, even that straw man argument makes no sense? The simple point you seem unable to grasp is that we have ZERO idea at this point how much we will need another big man after this coming season.

The most comedic aspect of this is the FACT that I actually do expect (have said so many times, fact check me if you need to) Bacot and Garcia both to leave after the coming season. Additional FACT is I don't believe I have seen anyone advocate more or longer for Troudt to become a Tar Heel (yet again, fact check me if you need to). And YOU point to me as having flawed thinking???????????????? LOL at YOU...

And yet again, you discuss NOTHING in what I shared that you disagree with, you offer no proof what so ever that either or both Bacot and Garcia will be leaving after the coming season. IN FACT, all you offer is the insulting tag of my having flawed thinking? You can not even as much as acknowledge that Troudt to UNC is not 100% fact. All you present is the straw man argument that in no way addresses what I said and frankly, even that straw man argument makes no sense? The simple point you seem unable to grasp is that we have ZERO idea at this point how much we will need another big man after this coming season.

The most comedic aspect of this is the FACT that I actually do expect (have said so many times, fact check me if you need to) Bacot and Garcia both to leave after the coming season. Additional FACT is I don't believe I have seen anyone advocate more or longer for Troudt to become a Tar Heel (yet again, fact check me if you need to). And YOU point to me as having flawed thinking???????????????? LOL at YOU...

Are you channeling your inner-angry "D"?

;)

Reactions: DSouthr
The tone for the last couple weeks has been that the "only" 2 guys still on our radar are Whitmore and Nichel with little mention of Traudt. So I added a post on this thread taking a look of what our situation may be if we in fact do not get Troudt, which at this point feels the more likely out come no matter how much I would love for us to get him.

In that post I discussed that for me it is not a done deal that we lose either or both of Bacot and Garcia (yet I have always shared I do at this point expect them both to leave after this season) there are some factors that could lead them to stay. Will Bacot and/or Garcia leave after this season, no one knows, not even the kids themselves. After the final buzzer to each of their seasons last season neither believed they would be playing college ball next season and we all know the longer a kid stays in the college game some of the luster comes off the way the NBA looks at them, unless they just totally blow up. That is not "flawed" thinking as I was accused of so to say that we need to jump right now to the portal and grab a couple big men or to say we take a guy like Green who simply does not fit what Hubert is looking for, else Hubert would have pressed hard for him and Hubert did not do that, did he. Multiple "experts" (not posters but people that make a living reading these tea leaves) have stated in the last couple weeks that the ONLY recruits left on UNC's radar is Whitmore and Nichel (2 wings) and little if any mention of our having a realistic chance of adding another big man (like Troudt) to our 22 class. Considering that, it screams Roy as being done with the 22 class when the decisions of Whitmore and Nichel are known.

That all means that Hubert is ready to wait and see on both Bacot and Garcia, can that FACT be any more clear? Lets say Bacot and Garcia do leave after this season. We do have Washington, we do have Hansen (who is coming in early so he will be advanced from your typical freshman), and we have both 6'8" McKoy (who many suggest was slated to be the starting 4 at UVa this season had he stayed) and Styles 6'7" who actually plays more of a 4 game than a wing. You may see that 6'7" height for Styles and think he is a 3 and think maybe he is to under sized to play the 4, like UNC has not started guys his height at the 4? Styles will play more wing this season simply because we have so many front court options right now. I didn't even mention another pair of 6'8" guys we have that will also have eligibility next season in Puff and Leaky (Leaky is a senior now but last season was a free eligibility season so Leaky would still have 1 more year of eligibility after the coming season).

So I see no reason to panic right now, we need more information before we hit the panic button. If we lose those 2 fellas, if Styles does not show he can play, if you need McKoy to be a back up, if all goes worst case, then hit the portal and lets see what we can get to fill that need when we know we actually do have to fill a need. We did that this season and got Manek/McKoy/Garcia, maybe we have to dip in to it next season but may be won't need to. Is that in any way flawed thinking, you know it isn't...

Leaky is a senior now but last season was a free eligibility season so Leaky would still have 1 more year of eligibility after the coming season
I also just learned that players exercising their extra COVID year do not count against the 13-scholarship limit.

[I mention this in case anyone else didn't know it.]

Last edited:
if all goes worst case, then hit the portal and lets see what we can get to fill that need when we know we actually do have to fill a need. We did that this season and got Manek/McKoy/Garcia, maybe we have to dip in to it next season but may be won't need to.
Agreed.

One other variable in this era of free transfers, is that someone might leave our squad. But we'll just have to deal with that if it comes up.

Who is Hansen? Shaver?
For some dang reason when I think of Shaver, I want to state his last name as Hansen (not the first time I have done this), no idea why this seems stuck in my head. Thanks for the clarification and yes for darn sure my confusion on his name (which is un-intentional) is FLAWED THINKING! LOL

Virginia just got another CB pick, making 4 (out of 4).

Not exactly piling on, but in the wrong direction for those of us who like Traudt.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I see Whitmore is visiting Illinois today, and Miami next week.

I like our chances against Larranaga, but what do you think about Illinois?

So Nickel isn't in the running (or vice versa) any more?
Well, I would say yes and no. There is an assumption out there that Whitmore will take our spot so Nichel has moved on. I wanted Nichel more because that kid can shoot and is not rail thin, plays with a bit of a mean streak. I do like Whitmore a lot but his jump shooting is going to be a work in progress, right now he is more a streaky shooter than pure, from what I see. Whitmore in the running game is fantastic, very athletic but I do have some concern about him in the half court because slashing to the rim is so much harder vs college level defenders, ask Caleb Love.

Well, I would say yes and no. There is an assumption out there that Whitmore will take our spot so Nichel has moved on. I wanted Nichel more because that kid can shoot and is not rail thin, plays with a bit of a mean streak. I do like Whitmore a lot but his jump shooting is going to be a work in progress, right now he is more a streaky shooter than pure, from what I see. Whitmore in the running game is fantastic, very athletic but I do have some concern about him in the half court because slashing to the rim is so much harder vs college level defenders, ask Caleb Love.
Do you think Nickel heats up for us if Whitmore goes somewhere else?

Or would we turn to the portal, or maybe some new HS offer?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT