ADVERTISEMENT

Is Manning Toast, Or does He Get Another Year?

Manning has 5 Losing teams in 6 years at Wake. 3 of his Losers have been 9 games under .500.

Manning is a terrible coach. If Wake keeps him, Wake deserves being consigned to the bottom 3rd of the ACC.

Reactions: Archer2
I was told by others on the board hat the buyout was tooooo much. Personally I don’t think he makes it

I could have wake Forest in the top 20 in a few years. The school is very attractive to mothers. It's a compact campus with a small student body. And freshmen take classes with 20 students rather than 200. Wake can attract very good four year players. While UNC and Duke are recruiting nationally, Wake can fight with NC State for the second, third and fourth best players in the state. And that's where the wake coach can convince the players' mothers that they will get a better education at Wake Forest

I would retain Danny. You have to pay him either way. I would tell Danny to focus on recruiting . I would break the bank to get the best assistants starting with Bobby Lutz

Let's face it, Wake will have trouble bringing in a top 10 class. It is just not the type of University that brings in multiple top players needed to compete. So if Manning goes, who comes in and is going to change matters. For that reason, I say he stays, buyout or no buyout.

Does he really have to bring in a top 10 class? If their coach can bring in a top 30 class every year, they can be very competitive in the ACC. They desperately need a decent coach though. I think they were hoping they could catch lightning in a bottle when they hired Manning, obviously they didn't. His overall record as a HC is 103-122. Yet another case of a great player who just isn't a good coach., it doesn't necessarily translate.

I would retain Danny. You have to pay him either way. I would tell Danny to focus on recruiting . I would break the bank to get the best assistants starting with Bobby Lutz

Yep. they need to get an established coach. maybe go the retired route, anything to get a boost.

Brilliant negotiating by Manning's agent! The wins against puke and UNC may also contribute to his getting one more year. He has some really good pieces and may be one more recruit from a complete turnaround. If he stays and Sarr(sp) actually stays another year, Wake could be a problem!

This is growing legs. One source says buyout in the works with Danny and Agent who is a genius.

Wake is in a no win situation. Cant afford to fire him. Cant afford not to. It was obvious two years ago that Manning just doesnt have it as a head coach at this level. And Wake isnt the easiest of jobs. They are rarely going to recruit with UNC and Duke, and most years State. Regardless, they need a change just from the standpoint of total fan apathy. Unless Wake played Duke, or UNC, this season nobody is in the building

Poor Wake. With their luck they'll pay a fortune to ditch Manning, pay another fortune to hire his replacement, and then the NCAA will cancel next season.

I suggest Wake and Boston College just trade coaches. Might not help either team but at least the schools would be seen to be doing something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT