ADVERTISEMENT

Jalek & Seventh will be fine.

I am hopeful that Seventh will make the soph jump.
I am also hopeful that Jalek can give us a great deal of solid time with few hick-ups.
Can't wait to see them Friday night. Go Heels!

Reactions: JakeSarna
I'm interested to see what impact this has on Jalek. While he certainly could benefit from the extended PT, I wonder if this accelerates the maturation that he needs or if he exceeds expectations against early opponents and gets too full of himself as a result which could be a setback mentally. It will be interesting either way and I'd lean toward being better off for it as long as JB comes back in top form.

Reactions: JakeSarna
I am looking for seventh to break out... I am sad Joel is injured. He is the heart as far as toughness goes. It's just that seventh is my favorite heel

Last edited:
Reactions: viking131
The teams we play are not strong for the first couple, they can be just average and the Heels can get victories..

I could see one of them struggling, but I seriously doubt that they both will. I think we'll still be undefeated when Berry comes back.

Spoiler alert our senior preseason all American PG is down. We are going to struggle, but should gain a lot of character later when he returns.

Should make for some interesting assessment of players early. Cam, and a more productive Theo will have to start balling right from the start of the season.

Better be all our guards balling from the start rather than TP or Cam, just saying, that is where we are down a player, so Kenny, Seventh, et al get ready.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I think the few games JB is out we should run Theo at Point (Forward). He's our best option to bring the ball up the floor as he is A) Our most experienced player other than JB and B) Our best facilitator even when JB is on the floor.

We have a potential stud frosh in Jalek that is not going to see valuable minutes at PG when JB is healthy and is going to have to learn to play off the ball anyway. So why not run something out of the gate like:

Theo
Jalek
Cam
Luke
Garrison

Seventh first off the bench.

I obviously trust Roy in whatever he chooses to do and obviously this injury will better us in the long run...but it would be fun to think outside of the box like this early in the season and see what we're working with in terms of lineups.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I think the few games JB is out we should run Theo at Point (Forward). He's our best option to bring the ball up the floor as he is A) Our most experienced player other than JB and B) Our best facilitator even when JB is on the floor.

We have a potential stud frosh in Jalek that is not going to see valuable minutes at PG when JB is healthy and is going to have to learn to play off the ball anyway. So why not run something out of the gate like:

Theo
Jalek
Cam
Luke
Garrison

Seventh first off the bench.

I obviously trust Roy in whatever he chooses to do and obviously this injury will better us in the long run...but it would be fun to think outside of the box like this early in the season and see what we're working with in terms of lineups.
I have thought something similar. As we saw last year, Theo sometimes plays like a point whether you want him to or not. He's comfortable bringing the ball up, he often stationed himself near the top of the key with the ball, he's a talented distributor when not being too casual.

So, yeah, I like that lineup in Berry's absence. Roy likes 2 PGs in at the same time, so regardless of whether Theo is the "official" PG, I expect him to play like one to a meaningful degree.

Jalek will struggle some but will also show signs of his ability.. that's the nature of young PG's in Roy's system. It takes them a little while and Roy is hard on them. Seventh should have a breakout year but for some reason i'm not sold on him yet. I want to see him slow down his pace just a pinch. I can actually see Jalek moving ahead of him by tourney time.

I think Jalek will start at point with Kenny, Theo, Cam, and Brooks. I think Seventh will slide between PG and SG, depending on the rotation. I also think Brandon will slide between SG and SF, again depending on the rotation. As stated above, I don't think we can afford to have Seventh, Kenny, and Theo in simultaneously, unless one or two of them starts hitting from the perimeter consistently.

All will get more PT and ample opportunity to show what they've got. I think it's especially important for Kenny to show that he can score effectively. Otherwise, I feel his PT is going to diminish. There is just too much talent nipping at his heels, even with the edge he has in seniority. As a couple of posters have reiterated, he certainly could have used a healthy summer to work on his shot. That may cost him PT this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT