ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan And Finals...

Why? We need a league relative stat to try and get a better idea of how these players rate. IDK if VORP is it or not but saying the NBA was better in the 80s/90s based on one's memory of the time period is not going to cut it. Of course agreeing on a metric is probably just as tough as original question.

I don't really have a horse in this race as I'd love to see a team of 5 MJ's play 5 LBJ's. But would that even measure which is greater.

CC

You are going to ridiculous lengths to try and show that kyrie isn't a top 20 player. I'm pretty sure you do have a horse in this race.

James already with a triple double, but I'm afraid against this super team its not gonna be enough. Just tied Magic for that stat. Curry is possibly the best shooter the game has ever seen. I do see that most of yall don't like James but dang hes good.

Who knows how these finals will play out once it goes back to Cleveland, but Golden State has possibly the top 3, three point in game shooters in the NBA on the floor at the same time is sick.

Lebron having a great night and Cleveland playing really well will prolly lose by 20. SMH

This counts when comparing Lebron and MJ, but Lebron loses nothing in form of rep even if GS sweeps Cleveland. GS is the truth!

Who knows how these finals will play out once it goes back to Cleveland, but Golden State has possibly the top 3, three point in game shooters on the floor at the same time is sick.

Lebron having a great night and Cleveland playing really well will prolly lose by 20. SMH

This counts when comparing Lebron and MJ, but Lebron loses nothing in form of rep even if GS sweeps Cleveland. GS is the truth!
If he gets swept at least it'll calm down the MJ comparsions

Durant has looked like the best player on the court to me the first two games.

He has been. Curry is healthy this year. If he was last year, Warriors win in 5. Now they added Durant. The true GOAT never got blown out like the wannabe GOAT has.

No player in NBA history since 1984 put up LeBron's game 2 line in a NBA finals game... Yet, no contest.

Warriors are a beast.

The whole Kyrie is better or Steph's equal can take a back seat.

No player in NBA history since 1984 put up LeBron's game 2 line in a NBA finals game... Yet, no contest.

Warriors are a beast.

Did James have KD on the defensive end? KD was 33/13/6 for the night. There are 2 ends of the court!!

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Those 9 had a higher VORP (value over replacement player) numbers than Kyrie. There have never been less than 17 better players than Kyrie in his career by this measure.

So maybe not better but more valuable at their respective positions.

CC

I need a link for this claim

Warriors are a beast.

Where do his 8 turnovers in game 1 rank in the history books?

Also, who said Kyrie is equal to Steph? Are you making stuff up to fit your agenda? Oh LeBroners, the reaching is embarrassing.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Did James have KD on the defensive end? KD was 33/13/6 for the night. There are 2 ends of the court!!
100%. LeBron's getting roasted on the defensive end this series. Last year his opponent averaged like 6 per game on 35% shooting. This year his opponent is averaging 21 on 60% shooting in one-on-one. Maybe it's bad defense. I thought LeBron's defense last night was pretty good. But nothing you can really do against KD. He's an offensive savant. Shake KD's hand. He's been amazing.

Really? Posting one general stat is "ridiculous lengths".
Must be a closet dookie.

CC
If LeBron didn't return to Cleveland, Kyrie would be flashy SC highlights dude with no wins. Kyrie was on a Stephon Marbury path and might still be. He's at that age where his game needs to evolve past one end of the floor. Klay Thompson was horrendous shooting throughout the playoffs but value was unreal because of his defense.

Where do his 8 turnovers in game 1 rank in the history books?

Also, who said Kyrie is equal to Steph? Are you making stuff up to fit your agenda? Oh LeBroners, the reaching is embarrassing.
Really poorly. I don't know what the point is though. Is the point MJ never had a bad finals game? MJ had several finals games that he shot in the low 30% and had a few where he had more turnovers than assists and lost.

So yea, LeBron was bad (while going for 28/15/8). Maybe that's more a compliment to LeBron that we don't let him get away with a single sub-par stat in his box score... Oh and he better win too.

100%. LeBron's getting roasted on the defensive end this series. Last year his opponent averaged like 6 per game on 35% shooting. This year his opponent is averaging 21 on 60% shooting in one-on-one. Maybe it's bad defense. I thought LeBron's defense last night was pretty good. But nothing you can really do against KD. He's an offensive savant. Shake KD's hand. He's been amazing.

If LeBron didn't return to Cleveland, Kyrie would be flashy SC highlights dude with no wins. Kyrie was on a Stephon Marbury path and might still be. He's at that age where his game needs to evolve past one end of the floor. Klay Thompson was horrendous shooting throughout the playoffs but value was unreal because of his defense.

Really poorly. I don't know what the point is though. Is the point MJ never had a bad finals game? MJ had several finals games that he shot in the low 30% and had a few where he had more turnovers than assists and lost.

So yea, LeBron was bad (while going for 28/15/8). Maybe that's more a compliment to LeBron that we don't let him get away with a single sub-par stat in his box score... Oh and he better win too.

The point is, you slobber over everything the dude does, win or lose. Instead of coming here and saying LeBron had a poor game, which he did, we have to hear the excuses. It's pathetic. Give it a rest.

The point is, you slobber over everything the dude does, win or lose. Instead of coming here and saying LeBron had a poor game, which he did, we have to hear the excuses. It's pathetic. Give it a rest.
I'm absolutely going to "slober" over someone that goes 28/15/8 and we call it a poor or awful game from him. I'm going to "slober" all over him because we will NEVER expect this kind of high standard maybe from anyone ever again.

Wasn't poor or awful on the offensive end but you have to at least win your individual matchup and KD is getting the better of him on both ends right now.

I'm absolutely going to "slober" over someone that goes 28/15/8 and we call it a poor or awful game from him. I'm going to "slober" all over him because we will NEVER expect this kind of high standard maybe from anyone ever again.

No one called it a poor or awful game. It more appears to me that the warriors are content w bron getting his in the first half-which is where he racked up most those numbers. To me he defers way too often when the team really needs him to assert himself. Last year kyrie did in fact carry that team in times where bron simply disappeared.

Yeah he should actually play more like 2015 LBJ because deferring to Kyrie and the others does not make the team any better.

That play where steph put bron in the spin cycle then made him lose his undergarments before making a layup he attempted to block was beautiful.

Golden State can play defense with good/great defenders in Klay and Green. KD has a 7'6 wing span and is mobile on defense.

Lol. You've gone past the point of deserving a reply.

And yet you still reply.

The numbers are the numbers. If you don't think they measure the quality or worth of players that's fine. Someone said LBJ didn't have the supporting cast that MJ had so I looked it up. To me it looks to be a true statement.

CC

I am truly convinced you don't watch a single minute of games, and revert to the box score for everything.

Yes we will expect this kind of high standard from someone else some day. To say NEVER, is ridiculous.

Yeah he should actually play more like 2015 LBJ because deferring to Kyrie and the others does not make the team any better.
Right, because his supporting cast is pretty unreliable. Like, is anyone surprised Kyrie had a bad game games 1 and 2? It's not all on Kyrie, Klay is a superhuman defender... But if it doesn't surprise you that Kyrie and or Love play poorly in the biggest games (and it wouldn't surprise me), that means they aren't superstars... It means they're probably more like really good role players.

The Cavs have one guy who you can take to the bank at this stage. That's LeBron. LeBron is so ridiculously good that he's averaging a triple double through 2 road NBA finals games on 55% shooting all while having to use energy defending maybe the most offensively gifted player in NBA history.... and we're asking a legitimate, but perhaps unfair question of: Is LeBron playing well enough? Can LeBron do more? Should LeBron be playing better?

That's when you know you're the man, amongst superstars in the NBA.

For Golden State, I'd be shocked if Curry and Durant didn't have impactful games... And I'd be shocked if Klay Thompson wasn't at least solid on one side of the floor. With Kyrie and Love, it wouldn't shock me if neither were impactful in any particular game in the finals. I expect Kyrie to play much better at home, but that's another trait of a role player.

Kyrie on the road:
.448 FG/.392 3 PT/.930 FT... 26.1 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 5.0 apg (True shooting percentage: .564)

Efficiency way down on the road . Rebounding down slightly. Assists way down on the road. Kyrie in fact has a negative Plus/Minus on the road. He averaged a +13.6 at home, -1.9 on the road.

Love at home:
.454 FG/.386 3 PT/.854 FT (True shooting percentage: .598)

Love on the road:
.399 FG/.359 3 PT/.889 FT (True shooting percentage: .547)

Efficiency not even close on the road.

LeBron on the road:
.532 FG/.381 3 PT/.704 FT (True shooting percentage: .615)

Efficiency wise, LeBron's was pretty much on par home and away. His road plus minus was +2.9 as well. Not great, but at least a positive!

I totally understand now how my dad felt when I argued that MJ was gonna be and is the best player ever. His man was B Russell. He still gives my son heck when he brings up MJ. After seeing all of these arguments, stats, and claims, it really does shed some light on how my pops feels about his greatest. Before yall throw stones, check out my avatar, but some of you just hate LaBron, and thats fine, but he is an amazing once in a lifetime player. "Just maybe not your lifetime."

Also, LeBron's playing really well. If LeBron averaged 40 ppg while also averaging 10+ rebounds/assists... The Cavs would still lose by double digits.

The Cavs won last year because LeBron, Kyrie, JR Smith and Tristian Thompson all played really well. LeBron could be 40/12/12, but if Kyrie isn't winning his individual matchup against Klay or Steph, if JR Smith is a no show and if Thompson isn't dominating the glass, it doesn't matter how many LeBron drops.

I totally understand now how my dad felt when I argued that MJ was gonna be and is the best player ever. His man was B Russell. He still gives my son heck when he brings up MJ. After seeing all of these arguments, stats, and claims, it really does shed some light on how my pops feels about his greatest. Before yall throw stones, check out my avatar, but some of you just hate LaBron, and thats fine, but he is an amazing once in a lifetime player. "Just maybe not your lifetime."

I get what you're trying to say. I saw Jordan. I've seen lebron. I guess it comes down to a matter of taste. I don't hate lebron I have great respect for his game. Where they are worlds apart is mentally, and it's very obvious to anyone who's seen the two in any capacity. We can volley back and forth all day with numbers, supporting casts, etc etc. but Jordan was a straight up killer on a basketball court. Lebron just isn't.

Its been said by a lot of basketball people a lot smarter than anyone here that if MJ could play today under these rules- he very well may average 45-50 points a game.

Last edited:
Right, because his supporting cast is pretty unreliable. Like, is anyone surprised Kyrie had a bad game games 1 and 2? It's not all on Kyrie, Klay is a superhuman defender... But if it doesn't surprise you that Kyrie and or Love play poorly in the biggest games (and it wouldn't surprise me), that means they aren't superstars... It means they're probably more like really good role players.

The Cavs have one guy who you can take to the bank at this stage. That's LeBron. LeBron is so ridiculously good that he's averaging a triple double through 2 road NBA finals games on 55% shooting all while having to use energy defending maybe the most offensively gifted player in NBA history.... and we're asking a legitimate, but perhaps unfair question of: Is LeBron playing well enough? Can LeBron do more? Should LeBron be playing better?

That's when you know you're the man, amongst superstars in the NBA.

For Golden State, I'd be shocked if Curry and Durant didn't have impactful games... And I'd be shocked if Klay Thompson wasn't at least solid on one side of the floor. With Kyrie and Love, it wouldn't shock me if neither were impactful in any particular game in the finals. I expect Kyrie to play much better at home, but that's another trait of a role player.

Kyrie on the road:
.448 FG/.392 3 PT/.930 FT... 26.1 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 5.0 apg (True shooting percentage: .564)

Efficiency way down on the road . Rebounding down slightly. Assists way down on the road. Kyrie in fact has a negative Plus/Minus on the road. He averaged a +13.6 at home, -1.9 on the road.

Love at home:
.454 FG/.386 3 PT/.854 FT (True shooting percentage: .598)

Love on the road:
.399 FG/.359 3 PT/.889 FT (True shooting percentage: .547)

Efficiency not even close on the road.

LeBron on the road:
.532 FG/.381 3 PT/.704 FT (True shooting percentage: .615)

Efficiency wise, LeBron's was pretty much on par home and away. His road plus minus was +2.9 as well. Not great, but at least a positive!

One time only... I am of the opinion that when faced with very good competition, Lebron's best days are behind him at this time. I could be wrong about this but I do not think that I am. He is only a great player in 2 aspects of the game today, IMO. Take that with either a lump of sugar or a stiff drink of whisky. Either way he is no better than the third best player in this series, again IMO...

I think we do that with MJ's teammates too. Pippen finished 3rd in the MVP and 1st team all NBA in 1993-1994, 1st team all defense in 1993-1994 without MJ. Was 1st team all NBA and all defense in 1994-1995 without MJ. Pippen was also a very questionable call away from likely going to the east final. Pippen was nearly good enough in his prime to carry the Bulls to be perhaps a championship team.

Love and Kyrie by themselves couldn't get their teams to an 8 seed.

Who are today's equals to when MJ had: Pippen, Rodman and Kukoc?

Kawhi is probably today's Pippen.
Is Andre Drummond today's Rodman?
Is Porzingis (at his current state, not what he might become) today's Kukoc?

That's who MJ had at 32-34.

LeBron's isn't playing with that supporting cast. But Kyrie was incredible tonight. Props to him.

I've stayed out of this thread mostly because this debate is tired and not much of a debate for me. But I'll say this - Pippen was great because of MJ. Grant was a better than average player because of MJ. Kerr was a great shooter because of MJ. MJ wasn't fortunate enough to play with other good players. He made those players what they are. I firmly believe that. If Pippen never makes it to Chicago, he's a footnote in NBA history - not a 6 time champ and one of the best 50 players of all time. MJ, on the other hand, would have made whatever 6'7" SF he got into an all-time great. Because he would have demanded it. He would not have accepted less. That's just the way I see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT