ADVERTISEMENT

Leaky

gthreadgill7929

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2017
Posted on social media he's coming back to Cabarrus County in NC. No telling where he's attending school but sounds like it's a very slim chance he'll be back in Concord High.

Montverde isn't for everyone. Hope Leaky sees more minutes this season.

I think he has a lot of upside. Sort of reminds me of Jawad. He needs to keep working on his jumper. Has the athleticism of HB, but can't stroke it like Jawad, HB, or Marvin.
That computes. I can see the physical reminder of HB and fitting the "Hybrid" mold... seems the potential needs to take the next step.

He didn't perform great there last year. Just speculation before people freak on me but-perhaps he is a bit taken aback that his talent level may have not been what he thought?

His year at Montverde and his summer with CP3 have probably damaged his image as a top-tier player. With RJ Barrett and Coby White on his teams, he's really faded into the background. Perhaps he wants to regain the "go-to guy" role to get his confidence and aggressiveness up.

Not true.
He's playing pretty good on the AAU circuit right now.

He's not playing poorly, necessarily, but he's not playing like a top tier player, either. He's 140th in the EYBL in scoring/game at 8.6 (though some players haven't played the full circuit so far), and it's not like he's been a low-volume / high-efficiency type - He's shooting 41% from the field. He's 22nd in assists/game at 3.8 (plus he only has 1.4 turnovers/game), which is very good from a wing, but he's not controlling the game with his passing or anything like that (like Kendall Marshall, for example).

He's playing fine, but he's playing like a pure complementary player.

Reactions: al would
I also worry that he has looked overmatched against higher quality opponents.

However - he's still growing into his own body. Something tells me once he stops growing he will be just fine.

He's not playing poorly, necessarily, but he's not playing like a top tier player, either. He's 140th in the EYBL in scoring/game at 8.6 (though some players haven't played the full circuit so far), and it's not like he's been a low-volume / high-efficiency type - He's shooting 41% from the field. He's 22nd in assists/game at 3.8 (plus he only has 1.4 turnovers/game), which is very good from a wing, but he's not controlling the game with his passing or anything like that (like Kendall Marshall, for example).

He's playing fine, but he's playing like a pure complementary player.
Personally, from what I've seen Leaky needs to get over the fantasy of being a PG. He's a Wing who has some passing ability ---- in other words he should think of himself more of a Theo Pinson and less of a Kendall Marshall.

Unfortunately from what I've read he hasn't come to that realization yet, and Roy apparently is still having to finesse it by telling him he'll play some 1 as well as Wing.
Leaky has a lot of ability, and it's very cool to have a 6'8 kid with a good handle and can pass some, but if he continues to hang on the perimeter and not be more aggressive as a scorer he will not progress as he should.

I also worry that he has looked overmatched against higher quality opponents.

However - he's still growing into his own body. Something tells me once he stops growing he will be just fine.
Definitely could be a factor. 6'8 at last report I saw.

Personally, from what I've seen Leaky needs to get over the fantasy of being a PG. He's a Wing who has some passing ability ---- in other words he should think of himself more of a Theo Pinson and less of a Kendall Marshall.

Unfortunately from what I've read he hasn't come to that realization yet, and Roy apparently is still having to finesse it by telling him he'll play some 1 as well as Wing.
Leaky has a lot of ability, and it's very cool to have a 6'8 kid with a good handle and can pass some, but if he continues to hang on the perimeter and not be more aggressive as a scorer he will not progress as he should.

Without ever seeing him play in person .. yet seeing some vids, I would think once coach puts him in as a pg against the upper class men in practice he may come to realize that point guard may not be his best position .. jmho

Without ever seeing him play in person .. yet seeing some vids, I would think once coach puts him in as a pg against the upper class men in practice he may come to realize that point guard may not be his best position .. jmho
Yeah, at that height if you are gonna be a PG you'd better have some Magic Johnson going on. Leaky has nice vision and he's unselfish, but not really major college PG skills, IMO.

But hey, figuring out where you belong is sometimes part of the process. Remember Roy promised Henson a shot at the 3, and most of us knew how that was gonna turn out. Fortunately John got over that.

Reactions: Archer2
Agreed with the above few comments.

Regardless of how well he can pass, a PG (or any ball-dominant player) must have gravity to lead a highly efficiency offense. That can come in two forms: incredible shooting ability (Steph Curry is the obvious example here) and, much more commonly, at least good driving ability. If you can't make the defense change it's shape by forcing secondary defenders to move towards you, your offense will be limited.

Leaky isn't a major threat to shoot or drive, and he's not an exceptional passer, either (but he is a very good one). So any offense that relies heavily on him will be limited. Thus PG shouldn't really be in his future.

Yeah, at that height if you are gonna be a PG you'd better have some Magic Johnson going on. Leaky has nice vision and he's unselfish, but not really major college PG skills, IMO.

But hey, figuring out where you belong is sometimes part of the process. Remember Roy promised Henson a shot at the 3, and most of us knew how that was gonna turn out. Fortunately John got over that.

Yeah ..that's what I was thinking. Maybe when he was a yonker he copped a thought that he might could play pg and worked and tried to develop that way .. which aint a bad thing because you get the "field of vision/team concept/pass to the better shot mind set" .. but he didn't know his body would out grow his bball dream. And then you never know about how his body will develop. He may pack on 25 lbs of pure muscle .. develop great handling skills and make some Magic type moments before his career is done. That's why I love college basketball and don't give a squat for the pro's .. I just enjoy watching them grow and develop. But the one thing that is constant is that Carolina recruits athleticism, bball IQ and potential over ego .. and that's why I've been a UNC bball fan since the 60's.

He's not playing poorly, necessarily, but he's not playing like a top tier player, either.

1. He's 3rd in scoring on a team lead by Coby White and Jaylen Hoard.
2. He shoots 80% from the FT line, much higher than either guy.
3. He shoots 35% from 3, higher than Coby.
4. He avgs more assist than either guy, and 3 times more than Hoard.
5. He's tied for the lead in blocks and 2nd in steals.

Anyone can pick and choose stats to prove their point.

Agreed with the above few comments.

Regardless of how well he can pass, a PG (or any ball-dominant player) must have gravity to lead a highly efficiency offense. That can come in two forms: incredible shooting ability (Steph Curry is the obvious example here) and, much more commonly, at least good driving ability. If you can't make the defense change it's shape by forcing secondary defenders to move towards you, your offense will be limited.

Leaky isn't a major threat to shoot or drive, and he's not an exceptional passer, either (but he is a very good one). So any offense that relies heavily on him will be limited. Thus PG shouldn't really be in his future.
Blunt but accurate IMO.

He's going to very good gary. Very good.
He will get multiple triple doubles at UNC. Quote me on that.
I hope you are right... and I don't doubt the potential for some impressive performances, but to realize that potential I think he first needs to come to grips with his best future role.

Coby White is a pg....a better prospect so why would you want he ball in someone else's hands ..until the 4s and 5s progress to be scorers on the block..all wings need to be able to shoot-that's what Leaky should be focusing on

Coby White is a pg....a better prospect so why would you want he ball in someone else's hands ..until the 4s and 5s progress to be scorers on the block..all wings need to be able to shoot-that's what Leaky should be focusing on
Well, I'm gonna be somewhat contrarian on that one too. Coby is a 2/1 combo (a natural 2 who can play some 1), where in comparison Jalek is a natural 1 who can play some 2. Coby is above all a scorer, and a damned fine one. Young fella's gonna light some folks up in Carolina Blue.

Leaky does indeed need to be diligent in working on his shot, but moreover, he needs to adopt a bit more of an alpha personality from what I've seen. As I said above, I believe he can be a Swiss Army knife like Theo.

Reactions: Archer2
Leaky is a stud. He played solid minutes at montverde and he's having a good summer. He's a top tier talent. As others have said, he has shown a tendency to fade back on his own team and that's not as much a knock on him but more of a testament to just how damn good the top 2 kids on his team are, including our own Coby white. He has struggled some off the ball which isn't uncommon for a kid growing into his body, while not having the ball in his hand as much as he did as the top dog at concord. He will evolve and be every bit as good if not better than Theo who is absolutely awesome for our team right now.

1. He's 3rd in scoring on a team lead by Coby White and Jaylen Hoard.
2. He shoots 80% from the FT line, much higher than either guy.
3. He shoots 35% from 3, higher than Coby.
4. He avgs more assist than either guy, and 3 times more than Hoard.
5. He's tied for the lead in blocks and 2nd in steals.

Anyone can pick and choose stats to prove their point.

1) He's 4th on the team in scoring. John Newman is 3rd.

2) His FT shooting is nice (though the number of attempts isn't large enough to draw a confident conclusion), but that reveals nothing about his role in the offense. He averages 3.3 attempts per game. White averages 6.4 attempts per game, because he forces the defense to collapse on and foul him with his driving ability. Black doesn't have that ability to get to drive (or, at least, he doesn't show it).

3) He's made 8 total 3s (on 23 attempts) in 11 games. That's way to few to feel confident about the percentage, but the important point is that he's not taking many. Because he's not a primary option from the perimeter.

4) He's a good passer. I haven't said anything to the contrary. But he's not a passing savant (like Kendall) or a player who forces the defense to collapse on him (like Lawson). A player with good passing ability but minimal gravity doesn't project as a primary or even secondary option.

5) He has some nice ability on defense. I haven't said anything to the contrary. His tiny frame worries me in college, but his height, length, mobility, and awareness make him a good defender.

What point do you think I'm trying to prove? I'm not arguing that he's a bad player. I'm arguing that he's looked entirely like a complementary player. I'm not drawing on obscure stats to illustrate that point.

He's 4th on his team in points/game. More significantly, of the 8 rotation players for CP3, he's last in both points/minute and FGA/minute. He doesn't score, and he doesn't attempt to score. (EDIT: the previous statement may be inaccurate; the minutes numbers from last weekend's games haven't been provided yet.)

Beyond stats, the general consensus is that he blends in too much. He was expected to show more in HS and over the summer than he did/has. He consistently blends in - not hurting his team, but not controlling the game, either. My original point was that I don't think that's what he expects from himself.

Last edited:
I mention Coby because I read a quote when he said. "I am a pg"...to me all debate/analysis shuts down, a player's mindset is crucial to develop--I have no problem with point forwards just develop all your game

Now this is how it is done! The debate actually ADDS to our overall knowledge of this critical recruit; I applaud you guys!

To the point: Roy and UNC have a great history of finding ways to make stars out of complementary players. We also have proven we can bring out the dog in a player (provided it is there) and get them to play the position they are best suited for! Leaky is building a repertoire that will propel him to the highest level. He is a long, skilled athlete that combines height, handles, passing, scoring, AND willing D! Clay like this will be easy for a master sculptor like Roy!

Reactions: rexerdog
Beyond stats, the general consensus is that he blends in too much. He was expected to show more in HS and over the summer than he did/has. He consistently blends in - not hurting his team, but not controlling the game, either.

According to whom?
That's your opinion, which you are certainly entitled to.

Lot of comments in this thread I totally agree with, fits itself with my current theme, players playing to their natural strengths and not trying to be something they are not just because a NBA star can. Leaky has not played poorly, he just has not shown to be a kid that is a great PG at 6'7-8". I think gary is spot on that at this point Leaky is more fitted as a Theo type of wing facilitator than as a PG. I as well agree that a bit more of a alpha mindset would help him, really needs to look for his scoring more and I think he needs to work more on his jump shooting, hone it in and be more willing to fire it. Kinda reminds me of Kenny, hesitates to take his shot with confidence, prefers to defer to others. Get more greedy, gain that confidence in what you can do and in doing so IMO he will contribute more to any team he plays for.

This kid could well be the guy that fills our need for a wing from the 2018 class to replace Theo and the best part is he is already in the fold.

Well, I'm gonna be somewhat contrarian on that one too. Coby is a 2/1 combo (a natural 2 who can play some 1), where in comparison Jalek is a natural 1 who can play some 2. Coby is above all a scorer, and a damned fine one. Young fella's gonna light some folks up in Carolina Blue.

Leaky does indeed need to be diligent in working on his shot, but moreover, he needs to adopt a bit more of an alpha personality from what I've seen. As I said above, I believe he can be a Swiss Army knife like Theo.
Leaky and Coby come on board a team with these guys vying for PG and wings:

SR - Kenny
JR - Seventh
JR - Brandon
SO - Jalek
SO - Andrew

We'll know better after the upcoming season is under way, but I'm assuming our main backcourt rotation will be Jalek-Seventh-Kenny, with spot duty by Andrew. Brandon and (hopefully) Jairus will man SF.

So my question is how do Black and White slot into the lineup?

If we don't land Jairus or another SF, it sounds like Leaky will find good PT at SF, if he develops in that direction. Meanwhile Coby will be fighting for scarce PT at SG and PG.

When Leaky and Coby are sophomores, Kenny will have graduated and either or both of Jalek or Seventh could be gone. So they should have plenty of playing time by then. But it isn't easy to see much for them as frosh, unless we don't land Jairus or someone similar.

SR - Kenny
JR - Seventh
JR - Brandon
SO - Jalek
SO - Andrew

We'll know better after the upcoming season is under way, but I'm assuming our main backcourt rotation will be Jalek-Seventh-Kenny, with spot duty by Andrew. Brandon and (hopefully) Jairus will man SF.

If we don't land Jairus or another SF, it sounds like Leaky will find good PT at SF, if he develops in that direction. Meanwhile Coby will be fighting for scarce PT at SG and PG.

When Leaky and Coby are sophomores, Kenny will have graduated and either or both of Jalek or Seventh could be gone. So they should have plenty of playing time by then. But it isn't easy to see much for them as frosh, unless we don't land Jairus or someone similar.

If Coby keeps playing the way he's playing and developing -he will have no issues getting all the pt he wants as a freshman.

Edit-I personally don't see platek getting much run here at unc.

Last edited:

SR - Kenny
JR - Seventh
JR - Brandon
SO - Jalek
SO - Andrew

Well, as you say there are lots of moving parts in that scenario. All I can offer is to (ideally) simplify things by saying Jalek should be our 30+ minute 2018-19 PG, and from that point I would hope that takes him away from the 2.

The question will be who backs him up. 7th has some experience, Coby can play there if needed, and truth be known Andrew is more of a natural at it then either. Either way, hopefully we're only talking 8-10 MPG.

I stick by my assessment that Leaky is ideally a 3, and as for Coby, he's an elite scorer so he's gonna play a lot as a freshman.

If Coby keeps playing the way he's playing and developing -he will have no issues getting all the pt he wants as a freshman.

Edit-I personally don't see platek getting much run here at unc.
I'm imagining Andrew as UNC's Scott Wood. He could be earning decent PT in a couple of years. Sooner, if he's better than I think or folks like Jalek and Seventh leave early.

I expect better D from Platek than Wood ever gave though! He makes up for his foot speed with positioning, will, and anticipation. I think he actually is a better shooter too so we might have a hidden gem here!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT