ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk about the death penalty

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
I apologize for muddying up the Chapel Hill homicide thread with a bit of political back-and-forth with Ozheel about the death penalty.

Let's leave that out of that thread, and discuss it in this thread. Are you in favor of the death penalty, or opposed to it? Explain your reasons why in this thread.

I'm against it.

I'm not sure that there is a deterrence against future crimes. I'm not sure that those who have received the death penalty have had adequate legal representation. I'm not sure that previous executions have excluded innocent citizens . . all of that is enough for me to say no to capital punishment.

I oppose it for the same reasons that Dean Smith made very public.

Dean's Opposition

"He also never hesitated speaking truth to power. This was never clearer
than in 2003 when Coach Smith was part of a delegation visiting North
Carolina's governor Jim Hunt, pleading for the life of a mentally ill
death row prisoner named John Noland. Smith had met Noland on one of his
trips to "the row." As reported by Bonnie DeSimone of the Chicago Tribune,
Smith erupted at Hunt, saying, "You're a murderer!" He then stuck out
his finger at Hunt's apparatchiks saying, "And you're a murderer-and I'm
a murderer. The death penalty makes us all murderers."

If the State is willing to murder, why should it be surprised if it's citizens murder?

I support it.

If you take somebodies life without cause, war or self defense, you forfeit your rights to live.
This post was edited on 2/12 5:20 PM by eec212020

I'm in favor of the death penalty on a very limited basis. Cases like Charles Manson come to mind!!

I'm against it for a couple of reasons. For starters, I think a life sentence of hard labor is a greater deterrent and harsher penalty than death. More importantly, I believe that there does exist an opportunity for repentance and grace and it should not be in any man's power to remove that opportunity.

Originally posted by strummingram:

Originally posted by crysdawn:
I'm in favor of the death penalty on a very limited basis. Cases like Charles Manson come to mind!!
Who did he kill?
I didn't say he killed anybody. His "business associates" did his dirty work of killing Sharon Tate among others.

I saw a great film on Netflix called The Conspirator. It's about the trial of the accused people of Lincoln's assassination- more specifically Mary Surratt. It was a great docu-drama. Hard to believe that Jenny from Forrest Gump has grown so old.

Of the 4 that were hanged, none of them killed anyone. Only one even attempted to kill anyone. The other three didn't attempt to kill a soul. Mary Surratt didn't do anything at all, as far as I can tell. The man that was supposed to kill the vice president never went through with it. So, even if he was in on the plot or conspiracy, he decided not to do it. What happened? They hanged him. The other conspirator that was hanged, was a borderline mentally retarded man who rode with Booth after he killed Lincoln. Of course, none of them got a civil trial (which was supposed to be guaranteed in the Constitution). At least the Supreme Court made it illegal for that travesty of justice to happen again.

I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I will say if a man raped & killed my wife, daughter or son, I'd want to pull the switch myself. Ones opinion will change how they feel about something when it directly affects your life.

Originally posted by uncfan in ky:
I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I will say if a man raped & killed my wife, daughter or son, I'd want to pull the switch myself. Ones opinion will change how they feel about something when it directly affects your life.
Oh, I would be hard pressed not to shoot a man who killed my family. But if they kept me from doing that, then I would still be against the death penalty.

I support it. If u take someones life, and certain mitigating circumstances are present that make the crime esp heinous, then you have knowingly and willingly forfeited your right to live imo. I would throw the switch and sleep like a baby.

My parents' best friends were tortured and the wife raped in a home invasion back in the 60's near waynesville. My dads pal had a pencil kicked into his ear and they forced the woman to drink drano. How anyone including dean smith could say these animals deserve to live is beyond my comprehension.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I support the death penalty. If you murder someone then you have no right to continue to live.

Originally posted by GACMAN:
I support the death penalty. If you murder someone then you have no right to continue to live.
Imagine Christ is standing there as you throw the switch or pull the trigger. What do you tell Jesus after you do it? If your Savior can hang bleeding from a cross, after having been whipped and ridiculed, and dying, and beg God to forgive those who did it to him; wouldn't it be the Christ-like thing to do to emulate Him?

Originally posted by UNC71-00:

Originally posted by uncfan in ky:
Oh, I would be hard pressed not to shoot a man who killed my family. But if they kept me from doing that, then I would still be against the death penalty.
See, to me, that starts to come closer to instinctive fight-or-flight reactions. You take it more personal and with good reason. But, the trick is to learn how to make the "if they kept me from doing that" and the "if they didn't keep me from doing it" result in the same action. It's equal whether it's a stranger or your daughter. That's tough. I'm not sure I'm there yet myself, but I want to get there.

I'm against the death penalty. I'm also pro-choice (although that's a whole other conversation).

While I personally feel that all life is sacred, and do not condone abortion, I also believe that the state shouldn't have any say in the decision to terminate a life.

Originally posted by heelmanwilm:
I support it. If u take someones life, and certain mitigating circumstances are present that make the crime esp heinous, then you have knowingly and willingly forfeited your right to live imo. I would throw the switch and sleep like a baby.

My parents' best friends were tortured and the wife raped in a home invasion back in the 60's near waynesville. My dads pal had a pencil kicked into his ear and they forced the woman to drink drano. How anyone including dean smith could say these animals deserve to live is beyond my comprehension.
I'm not condoning what they did, nor was Dean Smith condoning it. Those stories push my limit, too! But, what I do not condone, and what Smith was opposed to, is the State mimicking the act of murder itself. It's not "allowing them to live" it's "not murdering them."

How in the world human beings can somehow come up with these horrific things and act them out is beyond me. But, I can prevent myself from doing it. That is what Smith is talking about. Murdering them because they murdered is still murder. It doesn't matter the degree or method, it's still murder and it's still wrong. He saw himself as part of The State and felt vicariously responsible for what he saw as murder. It's the same motivation he had for integrating restaurants and bathrooms. Allowing the State to segregate made him feel complicit.

One day I'm for it, the next I'm not. It all depends. But I truly believe that some folks are not capable of being rehabilitated. 71-00 said that a life sentence is more of a deterrent anyway. I completely disagree with that. That's credibility to some. And why the hell should I have to pay for a murderer to gain credibility and live a long, unproductive life in prison?

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

One day I'm for it, the next I'm not. It all depends. But I truly believe that some folks are not capable of being rehabilitated. 71-00 said that a life sentence is more of a deterrent anyway. I completely disagree with that. That's credibility to some. And why the hell should I have to pay for a murderer to gain credibility and live a long, unproductive life in prison?
Would you rather be dead or serve a life sentence in Lynchburg?-whoops- I meant prison

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

I agree with this line of thinking. I sorta flip flop on it. I do believe, like someone posted above, that the death penalty should at least be "an option on the table" for judges to consider putting up for juror review for crimes that are particularly heinous, gruesome, sadistic, etc. IMO, the death penalty needs to at least be an option.

I also 100% agree with gsd that life in prison (instead of death) is nottttt a deterrent. 71, this isn't 1930, prisoners don't generally live out a "life's worth of hard labor" anymore. They sit on their butt in maximum security prisons. Hell, some people don't even view life in prison as that bad (I've heard Chris Broussard state this before from people he's talked to). And I don't want to have to pay for life sentences for murderers.

It's a complex issue though. Like all divisive issues, this one crosses both economical and religious ideologies/beliefs. There's the economic impact of taxpayer money being allocated to prisons, rather than going to schools, military, etc etc. And there's the religious portion of it -- some people believe even the most wicked of criminals has the right to continue living so as to perhaps redeem himself, and others believe the act itself (death penalty) doesn't adhere to their religious beliefs.

Overall though, I'd say I'm for it. I like how it's implemented these days. The death penalty is rare these days it seems like -- most get life. But I do like how it's at least an option.

I'll close with this. Going back to the deterrent thing.....if someone is convicted and sentenced to death (we'll assume you're only assigning the death penalty for the most heinous of crimes) I'm of the opinion that the executions should: A) be much more gruesome and painful than they are, B) be televised. Now that would be a deterrent.

I saw a great film on Netflix called The Conspirator. It's about the trial of the accused people of Lincoln's assassination- more specifically Mary Surratt. It was a great docu-drama. Hard to believe that Jenny from Forrest Gump has grown so old.

Of the 4 that were hanged, none of them killed anyone. Only one even attempted to kill anyone. The other three didn't attempt to kill a soul. Mary Surratt didn't do anything at all, as far as I can tell. The man that was supposed to kill the vice president never went through with it. So, even if he was in on the plot or conspiracy, he decided not to do it. What happened? They hanged him. The other conspirator that was hanged, was a borderline mentally retarded man who rode with Booth after he killed Lincoln. Of course, none of them got a civil trial (which was supposed to be guaranteed in the Constitution). At least the Supreme Court made it illegal for that travesty of justice to happen again.
IMO, this is a terrible example for your argument against the death penalty.

That trial (or series of trials, if you will) was so obviously a Northern/Union overreaction to the assassination of Lincoln, the savior of the Union. Those individuals were doomed right from the start, as a fair trial was never going to happen. It was the first of many civil injustices that Reconstruction would bring upon Southerners.

In general, times of war and immediately after war are rampant with obstruction of civil and social rights/justices. What's "right" and "decent" are often suspended/ignored/glossed over during times of war and the aftermath of war. Your example reminds me of the Nurenburg trials after World War II. Were a lot of those Nazis guilty of heinous war crimes? Absolutely. But I'm sure a lot of questionable court rulings and questionable executions were administered during those trials because it was the emotional aftermath of World War II / the Holocaust and society felt that punishment needed to be meted out.

Originally posted by UNC71-00:
I'm against it for a couple of reasons. For starters, I think a life sentence of hard labor is a greater deterrent and harsher penalty than death. More importantly, I believe that there does exist an opportunity for repentance and grace and it should not be in any man's power to remove that opportunity.
Yeah, this is almost exactly how I feel.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

IMO, this is a terrible example for your argument against the death penalty.

That trial (or series of trials, if you will) was so obviously a Northern/Union overreaction to the assassination of Lincoln, the savior of the Union. Those individuals were doomed right from the start, as a fair trial was never going to happen. It was the first of many civil injustices that Reconstruction would bring upon Southerners.

In general, times of war and immediately after war are rampant with obstruction of civil and social rights/justices. What's "right" and "decent" are often suspended/ignored/glossed over during times of war and the aftermath of war. Your example reminds me of the Nurenburg trials after World War II. Were a lot of those Nazis guilty of heinous war crimes? Absolutely. But I'm sure a lot of questionable court rulings and questionable executions were administered during those trials because it was the emotional aftermath of World War II / the Holocaust and society felt that punishment needed to be meted out.
Civil injustice happens more often than you know. I wasn't trying to use the film as an argument against it, directly. I already made that argument. I was using this thread to offer the film for others to check out. Although, I disagreed with their executions for the same reasons I disagree with any execution. The film exhibits how people warp and distort their better judgment based on emotions and revenge. To me, that is what executions are- revenge. That's not justice to me.

Imo when a killing, like i said, has certain circumstances around it, executing the killer is an act of self defense re society. And no, prison does not do the same. They kill again in prison. Sometimes guards.

Originally posted by heelmanwilm:
Imo when a killing, like i said, has certain circumstances around it, executing the killer is an act of self defense re society. And no, prison does not do the same. They kill again in prison. Sometimes guards.
Great point.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

I'll close with this. Going back to the deterrent thing.....if someone is convicted and sentenced to death (we'll assume you're only assigning the death penalty for the most heinous of crimes) I'm of the opinion that the executions should: A) be much more gruesome and painful than they are, B) be televised. Now that would be a deterrent.
Well I'm certainly not in favor of either of your suggestions. By wanting it to hurt, then you're putting the "revenge" factor in it. I don't want the death penalty used for that. It's a safety and economic issue for me. That dude that raped and carved up 3 pre-teen girls isn't capable of being rehabilitated. I don't give a damn what any liberal psychologists says. But I also don't want to be inhumane if we can help it. We get nothing out of torturing the criminal. That's different than torturing some dirty, radical Islamist. If we can get needed information to preserve security for Americans, and torture might work, then I'm for it. But a criminal that's been to trial and been found guilty and is sentenced to death? Just put him down. But here's my suggestion - do it swiftly. Last I checked, death row inmates spend an average of 11 years on death row. And death row inmates cost more than regular inmates. There should be something put in place that makes this process move much quicker. Like an 18 month maximum wait time. I'm tired of Americans being required to pay for these degenerate bastards. And I'd also prefer to see a cheaper way of execution.

yes this is a complex issue and yes there have sadly and tragically been cases where innocent people have been wrongfully convicted and executed for crimes they did not commit.

However, those cases existed long before science and forensic investigation coupled with DNA has eliminated that from happening Today.

Further, the notion of a life sentence at "hard labor" with the vision of inmates in stripe suits pounding rocks in a salt mine is pure fiction. In reality, these killers enjoy many many many years on death row with full medical care, dental etc plenty of time to have public defenders and other legal hacks attempt to stay and often cancel their execution which take DECADES to come to pass.

They are afforded EVERY mechanism, EVERY chance and opportunity that the legal system gives them to delay and escape their fate

THEIR VICTIMS had NONE of that and in the cases of Eve Carson at Carolina or the recent murder of Hanna Graham at UVA. they were murdered by cold blooded killers who showed no mercy to them.

I am a strong advocate of the death penalty and believe that those who take the lives of the innocent ,like the angels Eve or Hanna, should pay with their lives.

I'm for the death penalty if their is no doubt of guilt or a confession. I also would not mind seeing some sort of apparatus that made the murderers pull the switch themselves!

Politically I am VERY conservative, I would NEVER be confused with being a democrat and especially this new version of dems that call themselves "progressive". Having said that I am not in favor with either the death penality or abortion.

For me, the only reason to take anothers life is if life is at that moment at risk, a cop returns fire & kills a criminal, a soldier kills in the line of battle are 2 examples of taking life but doing to to protect innocent life. Someone breaks in to your home you have to take what ever measures available to you to protect yourself as well as your family. If you are guilty of murder premeditated murder then you should spend the rest of your life in jail and that time be under very hard circumstances, isolation, no access to others, no TV, no entretainment of any kind. But I can not accept the case that someone has been caught as being able to place anyone else at harm. But how can you convict and kill someone guilty of murder and yet exhonarate the state for taking a life, even a bad example of a decent life. 2 wrongs do not make a right, that is what I was taught as a child and I have never seen that wisdom fail my beliefs. A murderer is not an innocent but how can any of us be innocent if we endorse killing when no further lives are at risk? Answer that from your own beliefs but by what I believe in it is wrong for that murderer to have taken a life and it is just as wrong for the government to. The difference for me between this and abortion is in my view a unborn child is an innocent thnat has never harmed anyone. I do consider a doctor that performs abortions to be a murderer because he is taking away life.

One final thought, I notice several suggest that life in prison does not meet the criteria for rehabilitation of such a person guilty to the extent that the state would take his life. First off, prison is not about rehabilitation, you may think that it is supposed to be about rehabilitation but it isn't, it is about paying the price for your crime. You do not get fixed in prison, you may grow older and mature and you may grow to reget what you did that landed you there but prison is not a place for therepy. Also notice several consider the death penality to be a deterent as opposed to time in prison, sorry don't buy that either, if it were a deterent then tell me why murders still happen? If it were such a deterent then there would be no murder outside of those that happen in the heat of the moment.

Murdering them because they murdered is still murder.
Strongly disagree. Killing someone because they murdered is society's way of defining it's boundaries of what is acceptable behavior. You transgress beyond that boundary, and there are repercussions. They have forfeited their right to live by the taking of an INNOCENT, key word here, life. Innocents are murdered. Killers of others are executed. That is not murder.

Now I do believe that if should only be used when there is NO DOUBT as to their guilt. Multiple credible witnesses, video of the crime, etc. But if you walk up to someone on the street and kill them, and everyone sees it happen, why does that person even get a trial? Isn't a trial to DETERMINE guilt? If guilt is evident, shouldn't we move right to the sentencing phase?
Another question- why is the penalty for ATTEMPTED MURDER less than that for SUCCESSFUL MURDER. The perp did the same thing, executed the same actions, and the intent was to kill. Why should the punishment be lesser- the perp's intent was to kill, but the victim lived. Is what they did any less heinous based on the victim not dying?

I've always felt if someone is proved BEYOND all doubt of committing pre-meditated murder, then the death penalty is the appropriate consequence for their actions. There are times where I feel like the Jerry Sandusky's of the world deserve the same.

That being said, if I was serving on a jury and it was up to me to decide whether to put another human to death or not, I'm not sure how I would vote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT